Crusinmama Breaks down the Breakaway for Families

Thanks for all your great information. Looking forward to seeing the Splash Academy pages so we can see what's happening on what nights to we can plan anything that we need to make reservations for around that schedule.

The main pool with hot tub

51E85548-B90D-4151-9159-7C2C6DB28E25-3279-000001D2CDCFE905.jpg

EDD632DA-D320-48B6-9763-40818479FA25-3279-000001D31133CAA1.jpg

Hi Cruisinmama,

First, THANKS for your review and pics! I always read through all of your reviews because you always have the kiddos in mind. :)

Second, got a question for you. Any chance you know how deep is the main pool is from end to end? I can't tell from your pics above.

Lastly, is the salt room for adults only?

Thanks!

Edited by ChiMimi69
typos

We've never cruised NCL and will be on the Getaway next Nov. (2014). Do you have to make ressies for ROA? On our ship, it will be Legally Blonde. Just curious because every line does it differently. TIA. Loved the review. It will give DS something to look forward to in the meantime.

Tbag - the "blue slide" is pictured on page 2. It's the really curly one. Not the free fall one. I am still checking on the height on that one.

Chimimi - I don't know the depth of the main pool. Sorry. It was wayyy too cold for us to get in this time. The salt room is for adults only because it is part of the thermal suite in the spa. :)

Luvdisney - yes, you will be able to book Legally Blonde online at "my ncl" before you get on the ship. Your entertainment and dining will be open for pre-booking some time after final payment. There is a "standby line" that opens up - I believe it's 15 minutes before each show. So if you don't have reservations you can go "standby"

Edited by crusinmama06

We are back! I couldn't upload to photo bucket onboard like I wanted to so I had to wait to continue when I got home. All of the photos are uploaded so I am ready to continue....

To answer the original - I was invited because I am one of the admins for a Norwegian Facebook page and much begging was involved.

My home for the cruise was B2 quad cabin 12140 on Deck 12. I apologize that I didn't get pictures of the other cabins - I simply ran out of time. Two days on this ship REALLY is not enough time.

E3CAA430-EA12-40EF-995E-A4EB96AEC509-3279-000001D35B13E76F.jpg

1C96EFC5-8E45-4787-AF24-0B0C03B3ADC9-3279-000001D2E00DDA90.jpg

Hi again,

Thanks for the answers in my last post. In re-reading this thread another couple of questions came up on this B2 family cabin.

Are those "balconette" chairs stackable? Seems to me that with as tight a space as it appears to be, stacking the chairs and moving the table, is the only way 4 people can stand out there are the same time. And I think 4 is a stretch... :D

Also, does the bathroom in this category come with only a single sink? I can't tell from your pic. I've seen Family OV pics of the Breakaway and those have a double sink. Makes sense if it's a "family" category that the bathroom be bigger as well. But, I have a feeling NCL will disappoint me on this one. :o

Edited by ChiMimi69

Thank you cruisinmama for your GREAT reviews as they are much appreciated! I have been silently reading everyone's posts and endless questions. I don't understand why they don't just call their travel agent. After seeing your reviews (and great pics by the way) I called mine and she had every question answered PDQ. She gladly booked me and my DH on the Breakaway for next month AND I received a few perks that I would not have rec'd booking on my own. So thank you again!!!

The shows - Rock of Ages - NOT FOR CHILDREN! Everyone onboard was pretty much in total agreement on this one - not appropriate for children. EXTREMELY mature subject matter and language including the "f word" (3 times by my count) and other words like sh*t, a**, and simulated sex acts onstage.

can you be more specific as to the simulated sex acts? I know this is a family friendly board, so be vague, but specific if you can :rolleyes:

I'm trying to decide if I can take my very mature 13yo dd to see it. The curse words don't bother us, drugs/drinking wouldn't bother us. Making out would be ok if it doesn't go on and on - what else is there? tia! And thanks for your review! I'm loving it!

I have been silently reading everyone's posts and endless questions. I don't understand why they don't just call their travel agent.

A. Some people do not have a TA to call and ask.

and...

B. More importantly, getting details from someone who has actually been onboard, will give you far better information than what a rep has on their script over the phone. I can't tell you how often what you read is not what you get.

Enjoy your cruise next month and your perks. :)

Edited by ChiMimi69

Thank you Chimimi69 as I will def have a great time. I'm sorry you don't have a travel agent. All I was trying to say is they (at least mine) are very informative as she too was on the Breakaway inaugural sailing. If you are lucky enough to find one, they are there to help us and I can assure you they don't read scripts (that is for the expedia/travelocity/online bookers.)

Thank you Chimimi69 as I will def have a great time. I'm sorry you don't have a travel agent. All I was trying to say is they (at least mine) are very informative as she too was on the Breakaway inaugural sailing. If you are lucky enough to find one, they are there to help us and I can assure you they don't read scripts (that is for the expedia/travelocity/online bookers.)

I'm certain some TA' s are very helpful and you are lucky to have one you can work with. However, I have yet to find one here in Chicago, (incredible huh?), that will work best for for me. I book directly through the cruise lines. However, the NCL PCC's I've spoken to only have so much detail and to get more, I end up on hold forever. So, asking my questions here, is what works works best for yours truly. At least, until I can find a great TA like yours... :D.

That's why, again, I'd like to thank Michele for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. She's really awesome to do that! :D

One more question (from DS2!), does the Garden Cafe have a Kids Cafe area like on the Jewel?

I secretly hope there isn't, as I'd like to take advantage of Cagney's for breakfast and there is little to no chance of that happening if the Kids Cafe is an option!

I have no problem answering ANY questions - I don't care who your TA is or if you have one or not. That's what this board is here to do. I think a TA created a screen name just to chastise the posters here who asked questions.

Continuing on - About the ROA show - you see legs go in the air after they go in a bathroom stall. I guess it depends how "mature" and worldly your 13 year old is. Older teens - no problem. Younger children - it would be a little rough to explain some things.

The balcony - I didn't try to stack the chairs so I honestly don't know if you can. Four people would only fit by standing.

B&Z - I didn't see a kids cafe in the buffet this time at all (like Gem). And we were all over that Buffet a number of times.

And to answer the "sink" question - there is not a double sink

AB7225AD-B2AE-4E50-9500-DDAFDBF1ABFE-3279-000001D378005F49.jpg

THANK YOU to Patsea who is sitting in Bermuda right now onboard Breakaway and fighting with the slow port Internet to get us these latest photos!

To answer the most recent questions:

The toilets in Splash Academy ARE kid sized!!!!! Wow! VERY cool :D

F4084290-70A7-42E0-9437-49C59CA5D683-1350-0000020286EB564F.jpg

And the pool depth of the main pools - range from 3'3" to the deepest part is 6'4" deep

Main Pool

62DA7D69-A1EA-4964-953A-2A1E3783F9A0-1350-00000202880C3BA4.jpg

Adult Main Pool

B4C7110B-9087-467D-80C4-E318B2312C8D-1350-000002007CF786C4.jpg

And Patsea confirmed there is no kid buffet in the Garden Cafe. :)

Edited by crusinmama06

Thank you to you both!

Now if I can only find out what my s6 looks like on deck 12 I'll be set :). I was in to see my TA today and I told her more about Breakaway than the manager who went on the two day ctn...

This question may have been asked... Are the pools fresh or salt water? My kids keep asking, on our most recent Carnival Cruise they were salt water. Thank you! Also were there posted hours for the waterslides?

another question... (I asked this in it's own thread, but no one's answered)...

On the Gem, my family enjoyed the Great Outdoors to sit and eat and watch the wake of the ship. Is there anywhere to sit and relax on the aft?

another question... (I asked this in it's own thread, but no one's answered)...

On the Gem, my family enjoyed the Great Outdoors to sit and eat and watch the wake of the ship. Is there anywhere to sit and relax on the aft?

I haven't been on every deck toward the AFT to test this theory. But I know there is no Great Outdoors. But the Waterfront on Deck 8 would be your best bet. Cagneys and Moderno both have outdoor seating toward the aft on the waterfront.

This question may have been asked... Are the pools fresh or salt water? My kids keep asking, on our most recent Carnival Cruise they were salt water. Thank you! Also were there posted hours for the waterslides?

As others have stated, yes the main pools are salt. However, the small "kiddie" pool (where sponge bob and friends are) is fresh. I have also learned from someone on the ship that the pools and water slides are heated. That would be great when the ship is sailing in cooler weather out of NY

The water slides open around 11am and close around 7pm, it is listed on some of the freestyle dailies that have been posted.

Patsea confirmed there is no kid buffet in the Garden Cafe. :)

I am bummed that there is no Kid buffet, only because my kids really enjoyed being able to reach their own food, although I have to say they also wanted to sit at the smaller tables that were in that area, not so much fun for the adults. However, since only my little guy would use it and he isn't big enough to get his own food anyway (3 yrs old) it's not a big deal. I just hope they have some of the "kid friendly" options still on the buffet, even if it is part of the main one. I really wish they would offer trays, as carrying plates for yourself and your children can get cumbersome. I understand the logic from the standpoint of people would be more tempted to waste food if they could carry more on a tray. When we were on the Dawn, there was more than one occasion when a staff member came and helped me carry plates upon seeing my juggling act. Just another way the NCL people go the extra mile!

:(

THANK YOU to Patsea who is sitting in Bermuda right now onboard Breakaway and fighting with the slow port Internet to get us these latest photos!

To answer the most recent questions:

The toilets in Splash Academy ARE kid sized!!!!! Wow! VERY cool :D

And the pool depth of the main pools - range from 3'3" to the deepest part is 6'4" deep

Main Pool

Thank you both so much! My DS (who likes to feel bottom when he's in the pool), will be very happy!!! I love that the pool will cater to us shorter folks as well as the taller ones :D. My DS could not swim on the last Carnival ship we were on because the shallow end was 4'8" and he was only 7 them so, it was too deep for him (and they did not have a kid's pool that was not for toddlers :( ).

Edited by ChiMimi69

I have also learned from someone on the ship that the pools and water slides are heated. That would be great when the ship is sailing in cooler weather out of NY

NCL does a good job with this -- it's the same on the Gem. I've done a few January "Cruise to Nowhere" trips and you would be amazed at the number of people that use the outdoor pools, especially on the 2 night trips.

I haven't tried it myself though -- i'm sure it's fine as long as you are in the pool, but i'm a little concerned about getting out of the pool...