Inside vs OV for First Timer?

indygirl76

I have been on several cruises, and prefer an inside to an outside cabin for sleeping purposes. A balcony is worth consideration, but a window? Eh. I'd rather save the cash for the bar tab and the shopping spree.

My roommate for this cruise is my best girlfriend. This will be her first cruise, and we are the perfect pair - she is super laid back and happy to go along with whatever I suggest, and I am a control freak overplanner. :)

We are both night people, so she was fine with the inside plan, but now I'm having second thoughts. Especially since I can upgrade us to an OV on the same deck, essentially right across the hall, for $90 total for our five night cruise.

[Note: the cruise is on a Fantasy class ship, so there are no balcony categories, and the lowest suite category is double-plus our fare. Sadly, out of the question.]

Thoughts??

The room sizes are the same on that ship, so that's not a factor. It depends on how much time you plan to spend in the room. If you're both going to be out and about quite a bit, the inside would be just fine. Save the money. But if you like the idea of watching the ocean from the room, or watch coming into or out of a port from the room, the OV might be nice. I had an OV on my first 2 cruises, and I don't think it mattered much to me. I was just as happy in an inside on my 3rd & 4th cruises. If I'm having to pay the $90, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

The wife and I have had OV rooms on our last 3 cruises, but we are booked interior on our next.

I agree with k2 in saying that if you don't spend much time in your room or just want the view, then there is really no need to spend the extra money.

Depends how much natural light you want in the cabin and time you will be spending in it

Our last OV I was off the ship before I realised I never once looked out of the window - it was natural light that was the benefit for us

My vote is to save the money and take the inside. Since it is her first cruise, she is going to be thrilled with everything, no matter what. Save the OV for her second cruise, so she can get excited about the upgraded cabin for that cruise.

Depends on which Fantasy class ship.

I was on Elation and Ecstasy for instance. Ecstasy no box in the corner, but Elation has the box you have to climb over to stand next to the window.

Not worth anything extra for me. The box is built in and I have a picture of it if you dont know what I mean.

Keep the $90. Inside is perfect for a 1st crusie. Night owls love how dark the inside rooms are, so you can sleep in. Take an alarm clock and a night light, or you will never know what time you are waking up and you will have a hard time finding the rest room. It is pitch black in the inside rooms... Happy cruising... You will love it...

I disagree! On our first cruise we had a balcony. Couldn't imagine going to an inside after having a balcony cabin. Sleeping with the door open, hearing and smelling the ocean...no way would I give that up when cruising.

But..."To Each His Own"

I disagree! On our first cruise we had a balcony. Couldn't imagine going to an inside after having a balcony cabin. Sleeping with the door open, hearing and smelling the ocean...no way would I give that up when cruising.

But..."To Each His Own"

But OP is not talking about going from a balcony to an inside. She's talking about inside vs. OV with window.

I vote inside. Give her something to look forward to later. Many people like to spend the extra money on OV and balcony rooms, and sometimes I am that person. Put your money on your bar tab, an excursion, etc. Happy Cruising!!

I have been on about 25cruises on various cruise lines.....I would suggest that you go the very cheapest cabin. Because, if you start with balcony or suites you will never ever want to go with less. you said you were night people...well inside cabins are very dark IF you should sleep in. Dont waste your time in the cabin...the cabin is for showering and changing clothes....if you sleep more than 6hours in your cabin...you are in your cabin TOO MUCH!

i have been on about 25cruises on various cruise lines.....i would suggest that you go the very cheapest cabin. Because, if you start with balcony or suites you will never ever want to go with less. You said you were night people...well inside cabins are very dark if you should sleep in. Dont waste your time in the cabin...the cabin is for showering and changing clothes....if you sleep more than 6hours in your cabin...you are in your cabin too much!

Bingo!!!!!....:D

I have been on about 25cruises on various cruise lines.....I would suggest that you go the very cheapest cabin. Because, if you start with balcony or suites you will never ever want to go with less. you said you were night people...well inside cabins are very dark IF you should sleep in. Dont waste your time in the cabin...the cabin is for showering and changing clothes....if you sleep more than 6hours in your cabin...you are in your cabin TOO MUCH!

Agreed! I book balcony's/OV's when the price difference is almost ridiculous not to spend the extra. (Which 90.00 is great btw!) There are people who swear by balcony's on here, and others OV rooms. You are getting the same great food and shows as everyone else at sometimes hundreds of dollars per person less! Take that money and put it towards another cruise. I enjoy all types of rooms when I know I am getting an amazing deal!

The OP said this is one of the Fantasy class ships that does not have a balcony category (for those talking about balconys).

The OP asked should they pay $90 extra to have a window vs same sized cabin inside with a fake window.

personally on this class of ship, I would be looking at a port hole, PT category.

My OV on elation with the box in the corner where you had to climb over the side of the bed to get to the window. This is what $90 extra buys you, no extra space, just a window that might be hard to get to.

Picture063.jpg

the problem with some of this class of ships close up.

Picture065.jpg

OP are there any PTs not booked up yet? Thats what I get to get some daylight.

I have sailed with balconies and OVs and insides and enjoyed them all. I have no problem going from a balcony back to an inside. I sleep better with the total darkness, and I have that much more money to spend on the next cruise or on the ship or in the ports.

A lot of people who have to have a balcony are smokers and a lot of others are morning people who love to sit out and watch the sunrise and enjoy their coffee and breakfast.

I am neither of those. :D

Thanks so much for all of the replies!

We are on the Paradise, which I think is a "corner box" ship - still trying to figure out what the designer was thinking on that one! That's a factor I hadn't considered: that we would need to maneuver around the box to look out the window anyway...

I'm not really concerned about the money to upgrade - $90 is kind of a drop in the budget bucket at this point - but I do love love the suggestion to save that for a deposit on another cruise!!!

I looked at PTs before originally booking, but ruled them out because of the anchor noise at Oh My Gosh O'Clock AM.

I'm hoping gf loves cruising as much as I do, and we will be able to plan a longer cruise for next year, on a ship with a balcony class!

My biggest concern is that, since it's her first cruise, I don't want her to feel locked in or claustrophobic without the window. Decisions, decisions....

Did an inside on my last cruise because it was Conquest class and on that class, all the Ocean Views are on Decks 1 and 2. I did not want to be that low and the balcony prices were much to high for me, so we went with the inside. It was fine. I slept later. I would do it again, BUT I love having a view. I am the type that can sit and look out the window at the ocean. Now, I usually won't sit on deck because I don't like the wind- it blows my hair in my face grr- and I don't like the sun beating down on me. Yep I am strange. :D

I have been on several cruises, and prefer an inside to an outside cabin for sleeping purposes. A balcony is worth consideration, but a window? Eh. I'd rather save the cash for the bar tab and the shopping spree.

My roommate for this cruise is my best girlfriend. This will be her first cruise, and we are the perfect pair - she is super laid back and happy to go along with whatever I suggest, and I am a control freak overplanner. :)

We are both night people, so she was fine with the inside plan, but now I'm having second thoughts. Especially since I can upgrade us to an OV on the same deck, essentially right across the hall, for $90 total for our five night cruise.

[Note: the cruise is on a Fantasy class ship, so there are no balcony categories, and the lowest suite category is double-plus our fare. Sadly, out of the question.]

Thoughts??

I think that you have already made up your mind. :)

Archived