Electrical adapters/converters in Rome

yorkiemomjn

Yes. Italy uses 220 current, so any appliances you want to use that are not dual voltage will need a converter. (Many are made that way now, including most relatively new netbooks/tablets.)

Also, you will need an adaptor plug. In Italy, it's a wide 2-prong or 3-prong plug with round pins. Like this:

http://www.romaniatourism.com/images/romania/plug_adapter_euro_lg.jpg

and

http://img.weiku.com/waterpicture/2011/10/19/13/Italy_Uruguay_travel_plug_Electrical_travel_plug_AC_power_adapter_Converter_adapter_adaptor_plug_634546275398762822_1.jpg

The 3-prong plugs are the newer, grounded ones. It may be that some older hotels have outlets that only accept the 2-prong adaptors. You can use the 2-prong adaptors in the 3-prong plugs.

You don't need a converter, just a plug adapter for modern small electronics,i.e. phones, camera chargers, laptops computers and tablets. The only thing you might need a convert for is a hair dryer or curling iron, in which case you may be better off buying a dual voltage one.

I always bring a travel surge protector as well you can get them on Amazon. Not only can it save your device but you end up with extra plugs and usb ports to charge multiple items at once. Never enough outlets I find and as you need adapters for each one you use the travel surge protector helps a lot

Check your appliances, most new ones are dual voltage including all Apple products. If you are unsure, it might be worth just buying a new curling iron or whatever. Once you're sure of that, all you will need is an adaptor plug because American plugs won't fit into European sockets. Magellans online store is a good source for all travel supplies, we bought a package of an assortment of travel plugs that should cover about everywhere worldwide. If perchance you decide to bring appliances which are 110 v only (US voltage), you would need to buy a converter which is more expensive and bulkier than just buying the adaptor plug.

If you need an adaptor last minute, husband bought a one-in-all international adaptor from one of the vendors near Castel Sant Angelo for 5 euro. We brought our own but he just had to buy one.:confused:

There are stores at the airports, both in the US and Europe where you can pick up an EU adapter plug.

I'm not a fan of the Magellan's EU adapter, or at least the one I got from them. It seems to fit the US plug a little loosely. I used it last week again to try to charge my camera battery; it kept slipping enough to stop charging. I've only had it for 3 years.

Be aware that your hair dryer will most likely only produce on the high setting. If you use low blow or low heat, you might be better off waiting and buying a travel-size hair dryer over in Europe. If I'm staying a hotel, the hotel has always had a hair dryer. This last trip, some of the dryers actually had the two speed/heat setting - it has usually been just full on. That was a nice enhancement.

Archived