Help with getting to St. George

greenscooter

I know this question has been asked before; but, we will be in Bermuda for the first time in June on a Monday & Tuesday. The ship doesn't dock until 9am. We really want to go to St. George. We would like to see the unfinished church, Ft. St. Catherine, and Tobacco Bay beach on Monday since the ship leaves Bermuda at 5pm on Tuesday.

Due to ferry times, we would have to take the blue route ferry to Hamilton and then catch the #10 or #11 bus to St. George's. Total travel time 1+ hours. For those who have been to Bermuda before, should we consider this or make alternative plans? Once there, what is the quickest and best route (bus/ferry) back to the Dockyard?

Also, is Bermuda 1 hour ahead of EST? Anotherwords, if the ship docks at 9am will that be 10am Bermuda time?

Thanks for any input and suggestions you may offer.

I know this question has been asked before; but, we will be in Bermuda for the first time in June on a Monday & Tuesday. The ship doesn't dock until 9am. We really want to go to St. George. We would like to see the unfinished church, Ft. St. Catherine, and Tobacco Bay beach on Monday since the ship leaves Bermuda at 5pm on Tuesday.

Due to ferry times, we would have to take the blue route ferry to Hamilton and then catch the #10 or #11 bus to St. George's. Total travel time 1+ hours. For those who have been to Bermuda before, should we consider this or make alternative plans? Once there, what is the quickest and best route (bus/ferry) back to the Dockyard?

Also, is Bermuda 1 hour ahead of EST? Anotherwords, if the ship docks at 9am will that be 10am Bermuda time?

Taking a chance on your screen name, have you considered renting a motor scooter? It is far and away the fastest, most fun, and depending on how much you want to see, the cheapest way to see the island. If you are reasonably well co-ordinate s and have a good sense of balance, and pay attention to the orientation session when you rent --- and MOST importantly drive carefully, you will have a great time. If you think you might want to, what you should do right now is find a scooter rental outfit near you ( they are almost everywhere) and try one out for a few hours -- that much experience is all you will really need to have a great time.

A scooter is the only way to see just the three sites you mentioned in St. George unless you want to pay a day-long taxi fare or spend much of your day walking. You should stop for lunch at the White Horse on the pier in St. George, then, on your way back to Dockyard you should check out Hamilton, then take the ferry (with scooter) across to Dockyard, saving the long ride around. The next day (assuming you did St. George on day 1), you should ride to Horseshoe Bay on the South shore for a great beach.

Bermuda is ahead one hour but usually the docking time is local time. Your daily paper on the ship will tell you what time it is and when to change your watches. We have always taken the ferry about 10:30 straight to St. George. Have not looked at the schedule for this year. Maybe it is different.

If you can do some walking, you can easily see the sights you mentioned. It is a beautiful walk out to Tobacco Bay and St. Catherines is just beyond it.

Be care with the adivise of the scooter. Many a vacation has been ruined by accidents on the scooters. Driving on the oposite side of the road can be challenging.

The first ferry Dockyard > St George departs the Dockyard at 9:30AM so it will be very difficult (and/or) impossible for you to be on it. The next ferry is not until 11:30AM.

I've walked from the ferry dock to Tobacco Bay (to view it, not to swim) then to Fort St Catherine which I toured. I finished the day by walking back to King's Square. So it is doable.

There is a restaurant next to FSC where you could grab something to eat. The restaurant is Blackbeards Hideout.

The last ferry leaves SG at 5:15PM which will be again difficult to catch depending on how long you spend at each stop. You may want to plan taking a route #10 or #11 back to Hamilton for the ferry to the Dockyard. The last ferry to the Dockyard departs Hamilton at 9:30PM.

If you are comfortable being on the other end of the island on departure day, you could do this on Tuesdays.

As for scooters, if you and every one in your group are experienced motorcyclists, then you should give them a try as long as you know the risks involved.

SBtS

I, too, have done the walk from the Ferry Dock to Tobacco bay. It's long, but but it's doable. And there is some great scenery. As for the scooter...I personally, would NEVER do it. But then again, I've never ridden one in my life. If you're a good rider, and comfortable driving/riding on the other side of the road, you should check it to it, but just be careful...I've heard some horror stories.

Does anyone have any thoughts about making the 930 st George ferry with a 8 am docking for the summit? This was my original plan/hope but am watching the breakaway docking this am and wondering if even that will be cutting it close!

Does anyone have any thoughts about making the 930 st George ferry with a 8 am docking for the summit? This was my original plan/hope but am watching the breakaway docking this am and wondering if even that will be cutting it close!

We've done it but you must get off the ship immediately, buy your ticket/pass and get on line. The line fills rapidly and you may not get on. For best viewing head to the stairs in the back and go upstairs. Enjoy!

Thanks! We'll plan for that although it sound like maybe we should also have a backup plan...
I watched the Breakaway unload a ton of people before anyone got off the Summit today so I don't see how anyone from our cruise will be able to get on the 9:30 AM ferry. My back up plan is to go to St George's in the afternoon and then take a bus to Hamilton to sample Harbor Nights and then take a ferry back to the Summit for a late dinner. But I'm flexible so who knows?

I watched the Breakaway unload a ton of people before anyone got off the Summit today so I don't see how anyone from our cruise will be able to get on the 9:30 AM ferry. My back up plan is to go to St George's in the afternoon and then take a bus to Hamilton to sample Harbor Nights and then take a ferry back to the Summit for a late dinner. But I'm flexible so who knows?

It's really too bad that all lines have switched to these mega-ships which can only call at Dockyard. I had two great NCL itineraries (not so much the ships) from Boston with three nights in St. George, and one on HAL from New York stoping at St. George and Hamilton. Sure, there are economies of scale, and I suppose it's important to some to have flow riders, bowling alleys, skating rinks, and shopping malls at sea. --- but there is a price being paid in the quality of the cruise itself, which to me is what it was supposed to be all about.

Hi. Breakaway and Summit are on the same schedule so they will both be in Bermuda the same days. Last time we were on Summit and NCL Dawn was there with us--it was fine. Breakaway has more passengers yes. And it's new which is why we're on it in June.:)

Anyway, last time in Bermuda we took the ferry to St. Georges, walked around for a few hours and then took a bus back, which was great because we got to see so much, including John Smith's beach which we rode scooters to the next day. I think the ferry one way and the bus back to Hamilton was a great way to see so much. You could take it back all the way to the ship, but we had seen that part of the island already and wanted to end in Hamilton.

We have rented scooters but our guys drove them and they both have motorcycles. We didn't feel unsafe but if someone is unsure of

themselves, I wouldn't explore the whole island on the scooter.

have a great time!

Archived