Roll Call?

Georgia-boy

Some people feel that it is not safe to put personal info on FB.

I remember seeing a report on the news a couple of years ago. A woman came home from vacation to find she had been robbed. She had video survelance camers, so posted video on FB hoping to get an ID. Guy recognized the robber as a classmate and FB friend of the woman. Yes, she had posted about her trip on FB.

I would have to say it really depends on your friends list. I limit my list to only those who I actually know and trust. So I post on there and post leading up to my trip. So I use it but it really just depends on your comfort level!

I would have to say it really depends on your friends list. I limit my list to only those who I actually know and trust. So I post on there and post leading up to my trip. So I use it but it really just depends on your comfort level!

The problem with this idea is that it really is not "just limited" to those on your friends list. First, facebook accounts are hacked at an alarming rate. Second, friends love to make conversation with their friends and don't think about the possible problem when they say "hey did you hear John and Jane are going on another cruise in June." On that note I have a friend who constantly posts on FB from his home via his phone. When it posts on FB there is always a tagline that says posted from and gives his home address. It is common for him to post well time to leave for work or going away for the weekend. I have pointed out the possible problem with telling everyone no one is going to be home. His answer was the only people who read it are my friends. We all know that none of us have had a friend or two that has not ended up being the person we thought they were.:rolleyes:

Even with Cruise Critic. I sure we all know people who are, lets say, freer with their info.

Had someone once saying how safe her info was. She was less secure when I emailed her the phone number for her home. She had enough info on CC for me to find it.

Princess now has a roll call on facebook. Could it be

dangerous to post your cruise on it? I don't know enough about facebook to know how to protect my information. :confused:

If this is an "open" group, meaning you can read what others posted, then I'd say it's not safe. If this is a "closed" group (you cannot read posts if you are not in that group) then it's safe.

As a side note, I am shocked how much info people post on-line, starting with the real names - is this really necessary? Oh, well...

If this is an "open" group, meaning you can read what others posted, then I'd say it's not safe. If this is a "closed" group (you cannot read posts if you are not in that group) then it's safe.

As a side note, I am shocked how much info people post on-line, starting with the real names - is this really necessary? Oh, well...

Before my last cruise, I checked out the roll calls there. Yes, completely open, which means anyone can see the names of those posting (so unless you use a nom de plume...).

Even with Cruise Critic. I sure we all know people who are, lets say, freer with their info.

Had someone once saying how safe her info was. She was less secure when I emailed her the phone number for her home. She had enough info on CC for me to find it.

That's almost funny ... unless you're the one receiving the phone number.

Thanks for all your comments. I'll play it safe.

Georgia boy

Currently for our cruise there is almost no point. There are only a few and I think were are the only ones online...

Wasn't sure I could point them here...

re: the rule about interacting with FB...

That's almost funny ... unless you're the one receiving the phone number.

Currently for our cruise there is almost no point. There are only a few and I think were are the only ones online...

Wasn't sure I could point them here...

re: the rule about interacting with FB...

I believe the Cruise Critic rule prohibits promoting the FB Roll Calls on here. In other words you can't tell someone on CC to join the FB roll Call. As far as I know there is no similar restriction on FB.

Archived