SS United States on Infinty

capsoncc

Does anybody know is it a set menu in the specialty restaurant SS United States on the Celebrity infinity? I found this menu information that indicates that it is not, but it was a set menu on the Summit in March.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_ss_united_states_restaurant&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

One of the people we are cruising with is specifically interested in the Dover Sole.

Thanks

The menu is not set, there are several soup, salad, appetizer and entree choices for you to make. There is also a set tasting menu available for additional charge where the chef has paired wines with each course. We love the SS United States, we go there several times a cruise!

United States is the "gourmet" restaurant. On each ship there is a restaurant that has the same menu. You can see the menu on the X website. It is nice. However, it never changes.

The menus do change, if slowly. We only eat in the specialty restaurants and each cruise there are some changes. There were many changes in just over a year between our last two cruises and, surprise, surprise, the menus online are not changed as often!

Sue

We love the SS United States, we go there several times a cruise!

I've only sailed the Infinity once and ate in the SS United States. It was my favorite specialty restaurant of any cruise line and I've sailed over fifty times. But things change. I was wondering, do they still use sychronized serving? None of the other X restaurants seem to go to that level.

Edited by Bobby Dee

I've only sailed the Infinity once and ate in the SS United States. It was my favorite specialty restaurant of any cruise line and I've sailed over fifty times. But things change. I was wondering, do they still use sychronized serving? None of the other X restaurants seem to go to that level.

That synchronized serving was so neat and done with such flair when we first started going to the SS United States in 2006. When we last went in 2012, I saw it still done, but with less fanfare. It was more like making sure the entrees were served to each person at the same time. I did notice that with the dishes that were cooked tableside, they were covered with the silver domes since the cooking was done there with the sides waiting under the covers. So, when the main protein was done and plated, they were served with the domes and a nice simultaneous reveal. Here's a pic from '06, and Christian, in black, has now worked his way up to Asst. Guest Relations Mgr., currently on Solstice. We're so proud of him!

1917097425_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1369081611.063073.jpg.131e4a91ec7cb494889dea3ddfe3b12d.jpg

Edited by CruisinCindy

That synchronized serving was so neat and done with such flair when we first started going to the SS United States in 2006. When we last went in 2012, I saw it still done, but with less fanfare. It was more like making sure the entrees were served to each person at the same time. I did notice that with the dishes that were cooked tableside, they were covered with the silver domes since the cooking was done there with the sides waiting under the covers. So, when the main protein was done and plated, they were served with the domes and a nice simultaneous reveal. Here's a pic from '06, and Christian, in black, has now worked his way up to Asst. Guest Relations Mgr., currently on Solstice. We're so proud of him!

[ATTACH]271943[/ATTACH]

Thank you Cindy. I had commented to the Captain that this restaurant was the best sailing anywhere, and he seemed to be very proud of it. I wish they would bring that level of service to all the X specialty restaurants.

• 11 months later...

im soon to be on infinity and want to celebrate the evening of my wifes birthday in ss united states ,my question is we have a premium drinks package so i dont see the point in ordering a bottle of wine and having to pay extra or having the tasting menu with chosen wines at a surcharge ,would my lack of investment du vin be frowned upon if i were to just take advantage of my drinks package in there ?

im soon to be on infinity and want to celebrate the evening of my wifes birthday in ss united states ,my question is we have a premium drinks package so i dont see the point in ordering a bottle of wine and having to pay extra or having the tasting menu with chosen wines at a surcharge ,would my lack of investment du vin be frowned upon if i were to just take advantage of my drinks package in there ?

No it wouldn't be frowned upon at all. I hope your wife has a lovely birthday :)

Not at all. My spouse and I were on the Infinity last fall, and we each had the premium beverage package. When we ate at SS United States, they were quite eager to have us dry different wines by the glass with our various courses. The service was impeccable, and the food was wonderful. Happy birthday to your wife; I'm sure you'll have a terrific time!

Not at all. My spouse and I were on the Infinity last fall, and we each had the premium beverage package. When we ate at SS United States, they were quite eager to have us dry different wines by the glass with our various courses. The service was impeccable, and the food was wonderful. Happy birthday to your wife; I'm sure you'll have a terrific time!

Thanks -- you answered my question, too. We have the drink package for our upcoming Summit cruise. I love Murano and Olympic -- looking forward to dining in Normandy, for the first time. This is added incentive for us to upgrade to the premium package. :cool:

As others have already said, there is a choice on the menu and the food is fantastic. They do have a larger menu that comes with an additional surcharge, but this just takes existing items from the menu and if you have a drinks package it wouldn't be worth it as you'd be able to get the included drinks paired anyway.

My blog from Infinity last June reviewed S.S.United States and has loads of photos. Scroll down though, as there's stuff about the port at the top.

http://duncanwrites.co.uk/2013/07/geiranger-norway/