The Jewel's Repositioning Cruise: A Pictorial Review!

Thanks for the review, great job! I'll be on this ship soon and as it's my first RCCL cruise I'm interested in the layout of the JotS.

BTW I believe that the below is called a Sun Dog. DH and I saw one in the mountains of Guatemala.

More sea day pics:

There was an odd rainbow halo around the sun this day. I tried to get a decent shot by using the smallest aperature and extremely fast shutter. The red lines on the outside weren't there, that's probably the sensor's way of screaming for mercy after being pointed directly into the sun.

232323232%7Ffp437%3B5%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A3874%3A6326nu0mrj

Thanks for the review, great job! I'll be on this ship soon and as it's my first RCCL cruise I'm interested in the layout of the JotS.

BTW I believe that the below is called a Sun Dog. DH and I saw one in the mountains of Guatemala.

Interesting, thanks!

Thanks Grady for a great review and nice meeting you. I was the one that thought you were on the Florida bd. I didn't take many pictures, so I so enjoyed yours. we had a fine cruise and spent a couple of days in San Juan, Just relaxing and enjoying the sun-------we didn't do too much of that while on the cruise.

Trudy

Thanks Grady for a great review and nice meeting you. I was the one that thought you were on the Florida bd. I didn't take many pictures, so I so enjoyed yours. we had a fine cruise and spent a couple of days in San Juan, Just relaxing and enjoying the sun-------we didn't do too much of that while on the cruise.

Trudy

No problem! Glad you got some time for R&R. This cruise was definitely not one for relaxing. Beth and I were talking about how we need another cruise just to relax and enjoy since the Jewel flew by so fast! :D

• 4 months later...
I'm going to go off on a tangent for a moment. I meant to post this while covering the ship. This is the new brand of tea that RCI is putting out now. It's awful. I enjoy Earl Grey, and this new stuff tastes bad. I've written about my dislike for this new brand on the comment cards. Hopefully they switch back to the (still not great) Lipton.

232323232%7Ffp43884%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A393985326nu0mrj

Okay, back on track:

Heading to the airport, Puerto Rico's main "interstate"

232323232%7Ffp43863%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A3844%3B7326nu0mrj

Some salt in the wound as our vacation ended232323232%7Ffp43839%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A393995326nu0mrj

The Normandie Hotel, built to look like the former ocean liner of the same name.

232323232%7Ffp43836%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B%3A4326nu0mrj

One last glimpse of our ship

232323232%7Ffp437%3B2%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B94326nu0mrj

Our final stop of the trip

232323232%7Ffp43844%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A38%3C%3B95326nu0mrj

Have the new owners started restoration on the Normandie already? I know it was just sold in August (finally!) But it looks better in your pic than it did when i was in San Juan in march of this year. I'm so glad to see it getting fixed up!

Have the new owners started restoration on the Normandie already? I know it was just sold in August (finally!) But it looks better in your pic than it did when i was in San Juan in march of this year. I'm so glad to see it getting fixed up!

It still appeared to be shuttered when we were there. If there was restoration, it wasn't apparent from the outside.

It still appeared to be shuttered when we were there. If there was restoration, it wasn't apparent from the outside.

You must just be a good photographer then! Lol It looks much better in your pic than i remember it looking in person :-)

I love looking at cruise ship pictures, and you provided lots of very nice ones.

In looking at the pics of the Champagne Bar, it got me to thinking: am I the only one who wishes that RC would convert these into something similar to the Martini Bar's on the Celebrity ships? Those Martini Bars are awesome yet I hardly ever see many people in the Champagne Bar's on RC. Just a thought.

I love looking at cruise ship pictures, and you provided lots of very nice ones.

In looking at the pics of the Champagne Bar, it got me to thinking: am I the only one who wishes that RC would convert these into something similar to the Martini Bar's on the Celebrity ships? Those Martini Bars are awesome yet I hardly ever see many people in the Champagne Bar's on RC. Just a thought.

I agree, they've been converting some of them into the new R Bar. It's more modern and had a wider variety of drinks.

• 4 months later...

I was especially glad to (most likely re-read!) your review because today we upgraded from oceanview to these balconies (7164/7162) whoohooo! Question everyone probably asks...did you have problems with noise from the clubs below? Really, I don't care but my DH does best with getting a heads up on certain things. :D Thanks again for taking the time for posting this review! 36 days can not go fast enough!

Edited by BLAMBKY

I was especially glad to (most likely re-read!) your review because today we upgraded from oceanview to these balconies (7164/7162) whoohooo! Question everyone probably asks...did you have problems with noise from the clubs below? Really, I don't care but my DH does best with getting a heads up on certain things. :D Thanks again for taking the time for posting this review! 36 days can not go fast enough!

I never heard anything from down there, but we're also up fairly late most nights.

I think the music in the aft lounge is usually over well before midnight though. I've only seen them using that lounge for karaoke which doesn't go very late.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I never heard anything from down there, but we're also up fairly late most nights.

I think the music in the aft lounge is usually over well before midnight though. I've only seen them using that lounge for karaoke which doesn't go very late.

Do you know if they still have the Sea View Cafe onboard? We really enjoyed it the last time on the jewel!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you know if they still have the Sea View Cafe onboard? We really enjoyed it the last time on the jewel!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, she does. I was doing some reading on the topic last night since we just booked her for Akaka next year. Apparently her Sea View won't be removed until her big renovations happen in 2016. So enjoy it while you can!

Thanks for the photos - will be on JOS in November and really enjoyed the photos!! Must check out the Sea View Café as I have only read good things about it and realize it will be gone before too long!

We also will have a port intensive cruise and wonder how we will get a rest!! I guess we could always stay on board - but probably won't!!

great job

Thanks for the wonderful review!!

Great review. I am sailing on the Jewel this August and the pictures of the ship are great. It gives me and idea of what it will look like on the inside.

Thanks folks, glad you enjoyed it!