The Jewel's Repositioning Cruise: A Pictorial Review!

More sea day pics:

There was an odd rainbow halo around the sun this day. I tried to get a decent shot by using the smallest aperature and extremely fast shutter. The red lines on the outside weren't there, that's probably the sensor's way of screaming for mercy after being pointed directly into the sun.

232323232%7Ffp437%3B5%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3C%3A3874%3A6326nu0mrj

Great shot, I saw that halo effect once in Maui. I think it just happens in those little bits of paradise. :)

Bill

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

hate to judge,but I wonder just how many are really service dogs.....probably more like a companion dog..BUt I don't want to sidetrack this great review

Those are clearly not service dogs. Sad excuse to bring your dog.

Those are clearly not service dogs. Sad excuse to bring your dog.

Admittedly I don't know what the technical qualifications are for a service dog, but the owner we spoke to was visually impaired.

Edited by windjamming

That gets up through the first three ports, so I think I'll stop here for the night. I'll be back on tomorrow with more.

Thank you very much for this review, Lord Grady (and for yours too, Windjamming). It's a bummer that I missed this cruise as I really tried to get on it. But so glad ya'll had a blast. This was really a very special itinerary and I hope it is repeated soon.

Cheers,

Thank you very much for this review, Lord Grady (and for yours too, Windjamming). It's a bummer that I missed this cruise as I really tried to get on it. But so glad ya'll had a blast. This was really a very special itinerary and I hope it is repeated soon.

Cheers,

Thanks! :D

Admittedly I don't know what the technical qualifications are for a service dog, but the owner we spoke to was visually impaired.

That's very interesting. A good friend of mine trains service dogs for special needs children and kids/people with autism along with people who suffer from severe seizures. Large breed dogs are used for service dogs usually because they may need to perform tasks that a small breed dog just couldn't. A very big complaint of hers is that a lot of people have found a loop hole of sorts to bring their little friends everywhere. There's a BIG trend of people suddenly needing companionship dogs because of emotional stresses and issues with socializing with large groups of people. Don't get me wrong. I understand there are people like that. I have met a genuine person who suffers from severe panic attacks in large groups. She has a companionship dog. But you wouldn't catch her dead on a cruise. Way too many people. Not even with her dog.

Great review, thank you for posting everything so far, i cannot wait to read the rest, someone mentioned it earlier but i have never seen so many pictures of a ship with so few people in them, lucky i must say, some great pics for sure, thanks again.

We leave San Juan on June 8 for a B2B.

What deck were you on? Is the ledge off your balcony over the lifeboats?

We are Diamond also. What were the drinks available to you during the Diamond Event? I guess you just showed your seapass card so they would know you were diamond?

Thanks for the great review! Keep it coming!

I also spoke with Scooter's "mom" at length and enjoyed our conversation. It was apparent he is a bonafide service dog.

Great review Grady, such beautiful pics. Samana was a good day.

Four Toes and Beth

Thanks, glad you guys are enjoying it!

We are Diamond also. What were the drinks available to you during the Diamond Event? I guess you just showed your seapass card so they would know you were diamond?

We were on deck 7, and yes, that ledge is over the life boats. It only effects the extended balconies aft on that deck. The ones all the way forward go out to the edge of the ship, we had one of them last year.

The drinks for the Diamond event were wine and soft drinks. Any other bar beverages were 25% off. You just show your seapass to the bartender.

Thanks, glad you guys are enjoying it!

The drinks for the Diamond event were wine and soft drinks. Any other bar beverages were 25% off. You just show your seapass to the bartender.

Hi Grady - I was surprised to see the ship offered the D event drinks available at any of the bars from 5 - 8pm. Usually it's in a selected venue. Did you prefer this to the usual set up?

Thats funny! :D

I saw another service dog on board, it looked to be a teacup yorkie. He was being carried each time I saw him.

Great review. We were on the 5/2 Jewel sailing and the little yorkie was aboard then as well.

Ill say hey when I'm getting off lol

Great review as always! Loved Samana, we also did a tour with Terry (the zipline-awesome). Loved the island and the people, the Mamajuana...not so much! :D

Hi I was on the sailing as well with you all, had a great time. I wanted to say that those of us that set up tours in Samana played it smart. We did the ATV with Terry and loved it, only wish we did the ATV/Zip after seeing it. We ran into person after person who made no plans and they had nothing good to say about the port. Thankfully I read that on CC prior to our sailing and booked something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Grady - I was surprised to see the ship offered the D event drinks available at any of the bars from 5 - 8pm. Usually it's in a selected venue. Did you prefer this to the usual set up?

I've got mixed feelings on the topic.

On one hand I think it's nice to have the freedom to go to multiple lounges and enjoy the nightly cocktails. It's also better for Diamond members traveling with non-Diamond members since they can join them at any of the lounges, unlike the single-lounge setup where only members can be there.

On the other hand, I like the camaraderie that come with having the single lounge. Since everyone there are frequent cruisers, you usually have a lot in common to talk about. It's also nice to see the same folks each day to talk about how ports went, or anything else that went on.

I suppose if I just had to pick one, I'd say that I like the single-lounge better. It's usually just my wife and I, so being able to sit with non-Diamond travel companions isn't a big bonus.