ShotoJuku’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure

I just thought of another random question that I was hoping you (or anyone else to sail out of Venice with an overnight that first night) could answer... Did they do the scheduled fixed seating in the MDR on the first night of the cruise, or is it open seating? Since the ship is docked overnight, our plan is to board as early as possible, and then spend the day walking around Venice. I doubt we will be back in time for our 6pm dinner time. When I sailed out of San Juan, PR on the Victory in December, we had a 10pm sail away, so they let us have open seating in the MDR in case people weren't on board in time for their 6pm early dining time. We could go to the MDR anytime between 6 and 9pm, and were randomly seated at whatever table was open. Just wondering if they do something similar on the Venice sailings? :) I know you went out to dinner in Venice that night, but I'm hoping you either know the answer, or can look at your FunTimes to see what they have listed. Thanks!! Your review was very helpful for planning my upcoming Sunshine cruise :)

Our first night MDR (in Venice) was at your assigned table and time.

Have a GREAT SUNSHINE cruise!!!

Edited by ShotoJuku

Our first night MDR (in Venice) was at your assigned table and time.

Have a GREAT SUNSHINE cruise!!!

Bummer! They should take some advice from the Puerto Rico sailings ;) hehe

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

ShotoJuku’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure

May 4th – 16th 2013

This is my review of my recent 12-day cruise on the Carnival Legend that took us from Venice, Italy to Barcelona, Spain with my Wife to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. Our adventure actually begins nearly 1 ½ years ago when I began to explore the any and all cruise options in the Mediterranean with Carnival. Sadly, no cruises had been posted for the time of year that I wanted – that being May, 2013 as our 30th Anniversary would be May 1st. I waited ever so patiently, watched the cruise critic boards carefully for any possible news, hints, or rumors until finally my patience paid off on February 14th 2012 when Carnival posted the dates.

There I sat ever so discretely and quietly in the early morning hours in the living room (in my underwear like John Heald) so as not to wake my Bride and see what was available. What I found was the perfect dates with the perfect itinerary aboard the Carnival Legend who was to set sail on May 4th 2013 from Venice on a 12-day cruise including 10 ports of call including: Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, Messina, Naples, Rome, Pisa/Florence, Marseilles, and Barcelona. What made this cruise so incredibly fortuitous was this would be the only cruise that Legend would be stopping at Athens and Izmir during the 2013 season.

It was somewhat ironic that I was actually booking the cruise on Valentine’s Day, 2012 (the day we were engaged in 1982, 30-years earlier) and would not reveal this until exactly 1-year later when I would give this to my Bride on Valentine’s Day 2013; what a year of suspense! My Bride, who is principally of Italian/Irish decent had always dreamed of visiting Italy one day but in the back of her mind thought that her dream may never ever be realized. Little did I realize that the year of suspense and anticipation would be worth the wait! In the mean time I started our cruise critic roll call the next day making sure that any computers in the house would never be logged onto the sight for the next year. Our roll call group was named as the M&M’s for either Married in May or Mediterranean in May and what a group it became!

232323232%7Ffp54363%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3652%3A6%3B6%3A9348nu0mrj

Tick-Tock...one year later...the day had finally arrived - Valentine’s Day 2013 and it was time to launch my plan: Operation Pizza Box! After celebrating 31 consecutive Valentine’s Day’s together I figured that my Bride had probably had her fill of receiving the obligatory box of candy and such so I opted for something better…..pizza! Well not really pizza but a pizza box that I picked up a couple of weeks earlier in preparation of surprising my Bride. Our trip would entail 16-days in total starting on our actual anniversary (May 1st) and ending on our return on the 16th. So I took a large sheet of paper that would fill the inside of the box, drew a circle with 16-slices that denoted each and every day of our journey. On the outside of the box I taped a paper plate onto the cover with a picture of a heart-shaped pizza with a question: I know a place where we can get some really good pizza; interested?

232323232%7Ffp73488%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36586539%3B%3B348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54436%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36586539%3C2348nu0mrj

Now when I initially presented the box to my Bride she gazed at it with a bit of bemused puzzlement probably wondering just what the hell did I do now, and where is my candy? Once she opened the box her bewildered look was instantaneously replaced with the absolute best looks of astonished surprise I had ever seen rush across her beautiful face coupled with one of the loudest screams of joy followed by streams of tears that I had ever heard. For an instant I thought that I screwed up big time as her screams and tears could have been easily confused with grief however after a few moments of her now gasping her breath I detected a sign of sheer and utter happiness that was translated into a scream of “I’m going to Italy”!!!!!

That of course was the best gift that I could ever receive as I had given my Bride the realization of her dream to see Italy and so much more. Besides I was going too so it was a win-win for both of us!

More To Come….

I want to cry too and I haven't even gotten past your first post. What a beautiful gesture to show your "bride" how much you ove her. Awwwwwwwwwww!!!!!;)

We changed cruises we are not on the liberty dec 14. We are on the paradise from Tampa same day. So how is the paradise?

In general Paradise is "roughly" 2/3 the size of Legend and has a more intimate feel about her as you may not feel that you are too far away from things.

Paradise is a Fantasy Class ship that has not gone through any major renovations however she is a nice ship. Have a Great Cruise!!!

Thank you.

Now to redo everything.. Dang Kids UGH.

Cancel excursions. for the Liberty..CHECK

Cancel Hotel ...Check,, Rebook hotel....UNCHECk

re map the routes.....UNCHECK

Daughter could not get the leave for the 7 day (just started her new job) but 5 day she could do. soo...

Thanks for the info. I was ready for a Guys burger dang it anyway.

My Greek, I mean Italian/Irish Goddess of Love!!!

232323232%7Ffp5439%3B%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3659696949348nu0mrj

OPA!!!

Hey Again.....From Athens, Greece!!

Here is another video courtesy of Carnival Cruise Lines featuring a visit to Athens - Enjoy!!

Ciao For Now!!

Nearly 37,000 views now - I just wish I had more feedback like this one! Gratzi John!!!!

944488_549343048441594_723497813_a.jpgJohn Heald commented on your link.John Heald wrote: "that was fantastic Susan. What a brilliant couple and what a fantastic review. I am honoured by their kind words and enjoyed the photos of two people having fun. I have sent this to all the senior management here and I know they will be thrilled. Thanks Susan for posting this here and my best wishes to you and to ShotoJuku.......love that name. cheers"

When can we book this cruise?

Carnival Vista: 2016 (Return To The Mediterranean)

I wish but not just yet. There is one special ingredient needed first - the ship itself that currently resides in a pile of blueprints that is set to launch in 2016 however this cruise is certainly on the top of my list....for now!

Well I guess we would need that first LOL.

We would love to do that cruise.

Hope the hiring freeze ends with the new Fiscal year,

Still applying for jobs. Got an offer but was not enough for me to leave here dang it anyway and we both need a job so..........

Well I guess we would need that first LOL.

We would love to do that cruise.

Hope the hiring freeze ends with the new Fiscal year,

Still applying for jobs. Got an offer but was not enough for me to leave here dang it anyway and we both need a job so..........

Yes, hopefully soon; I'm just glad you guy's were not in the DC Navy Yard yesterday! :(

Which cruise are you doing in May on the Liberty? the 17th?

Yes the 17th and it is interestingly ironic you should ask as yesterday our Daughter and Son-In-Law broke the new to us that they are giving us a 3rd Grandchild with a due date of......wait for it.......May 13th!!! So I'm going to have to make some calls a reschedule this cruise to an earlier date by at least 4-6 weeks or so.

Yes, hopefully soon; I'm just glad you guy's were not in the DC Navy Yard yesterday! :(

Yes the 17th and it is interestingly ironic you should ask as yesterday our Daughter and Son-In-Law broke the new to us that they are giving us a 3rd Grandchild with a due date of......wait for it.......May 13th!!! So I'm going to have to make some calls a reschedule this cruise to an earlier date by at least 4-6 weeks or so.

Oh wow. Congratulations!!!

Yes glad we were not in the Navy Ship Yard. But Our friedd was and she was one of the 12 killed by that sick %$%$. Mary F Knight. She was Gregs Boss here at Womack for 8 years.

Her daughter works in my office, Does My old job since i was promoted. Very Sad day indeed. She was a great person and so tragic.

let me know when you make the new cruise!!

Oh wow. Congratulations!!!

Yes glad we were not in the Navy Ship Yard. But Our friedd was and she was one of the 12 killed by that sick %$%$. Mary F Knight. She was Gregs Boss here at Womack for 8 years.

Her daughter works in my office, Does My old job since i was promoted. Very Sad day indeed. She was a great person and so tragic.

let me know when you make the new cruise!!

Angie ang Greg - we are so very sorry and saddened for your loss; truly a tragic day!

:( :mad:

On a lighter note I was able to reschedule our "New Grandchild" cruise on an earlier sailing but on the Paradise. :)

Edited by ShotoJuku

• 2 weeks later...

Over 40,000+ views now - I just wish I had more feedback like this one! Gratzi John!!!!

944488_549343048441594_723497813_a.jpgJohn Heald commented on your link.John Heald wrote: "that was fantastic Susan. What a brilliant couple and what a fantastic review. I am honoured by their kind words and enjoyed the photos of two people having fun. I have sent this to all the senior management here and I know they will be thrilled. Thanks Susan for posting this here and my best wishes to you and to ShotoJuku.......love that name. cheers"

• 4 weeks later...

…Welcome you (back) to The Port of Livorno: The Gateway to Pisa and Florence, Italy and the MOST INCREDIBLE LASAGNA that we have Ever-Ever-Ever Had!!!

It was now around lunch time so our RIL driver Vinny suggested going to a restaurant that he said would not disappoint and it didn’t for it was here that we, and many of our fellow M&M’s had…..wait for it….the MOST INCREDIBLE LASAGNA that we have Ever-Ever-Ever Had!!! We ate at the Casa Toscana (1872) and although we had as of yet eaten lasagna as it was never seen on any menu along our journey I had already decided that if it appeared here that I would certainly give it a try.

232323232%7Ffp54366%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36638546%3A%3A348nu0mrj

As is the custom tables are always supplied with sliced fresh baked bread along with generous amounts of olive oil for dipping to get things started. We ordered another ½ liter of vino rosso and enjoyed our group conversation with our fellow M&M’s and then then the entrée arrived – “the” lasagna. For those of us, and there were many, who ordered the lasagna, no one was able to speak for the first few bites as I believe we perhaps in a subtle state of shock as what we were eating certainly looked like lasagna but didn’t taste like any we had ever-ever-ever* had!

* If you saw the piano player act then you know what I am referring to.

The taste was certainly different but what was it, the sauce (not gravy), cheese, or the pasta itself? I know because I asked however if you believe you may know please feel free to provide an answer. Of course whoever supplies the first correct (not best) answer will receive a special prize!

Ciao For Now!!

This is somewhat of a belated post-script entry to our LEGENDary Adventure but one worth noting.

So impressed we were with the lasagna my Bride wrote a letter to the restaurant expressing her wonderful taste experience there and as a gesture of their thanks the "SECRET" recipe was sent to her.

232323232%7Ffp543%3A9%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3A593%3C29%3A348nu0mrj

After gathering the "SECRET" ingredients along with some culinary courage my Bride attempted to recreate the best lasagna ever-ever-ever and all I can so is.....WOW.....that girl can cook!!

Ciao For Now!!!

Oh i am jealous!!! We too still talk about that lasagna. I attempted it, it was good but not what we had there!

Ps ill send my address. So next time Susan makes it feel free to send some lol

I must say this was pretty darn close, however it's always worth the trip back to Florence!!

We set sail on the Carnival Ecstasy on Monday, November 4th however I doubt that we will not come across a incredible lasagna in the Bahamas!

This is somewhat of a belated post-script entry to our LEGENDary Adventure but one worth noting.

So impressed we were with the lasagna my Bride wrote a letter to the restaurant expressing her wonderful taste experience there and as a gesture of their thanks the "SECRET" recipe was sent to her.

232323232%7Ffp543%3A9%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36%3A593%3C29%3A348nu0mrj

After gathering the "SECRET" ingredients along with some culinary courage my Bride attempted to recreate the best lasagna ever-ever-ever and all I can so is.....WOW.....that girl can cook!!

Ciao For Now!!!

Can you share what the "secret" ingredients are?