Is this cruise line ....

bobthehammer

On the face of it, these are impossible questions to answer.

You might want to provide some more information about yourself, what you are seeking, where you are proposing travel, etc.

Alternately perhaps a search with your preferences would yield what you need to know without requiring personal disclosure.

VERY different to Carnival! Much smaller ships, all inclusive, focus on top quality cuisine, service, ambiance. More limited entertainment, different demographics, few kids. It's a totally different product but in a good way! If you want to experience a relaxed, pampered, top quality environment then any of the luxury lines will work. If you want to party till dawn then maybe stick to Carnival.

Dress code is more formal, especially in the evenings. And it's enforced. See the Silverseas website for details.

and what is the dress code like ?

This is from the Silversea web site and provides information on attire.

Keith

lothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Casual resort wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore, and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at resorts. Shoes should be flat or low-heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate. On informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may opt to wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women; jacket, tie optional for men). Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of the public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks. Sailings of eight days or less typically feature two formal nights, while longer voyages usually have three or four formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing your cruise luggage with the proper attire.

Evening Dress Code*

Number of

Cruise Days Formal Informal Casual

4 1 2 1

5 1

3 1

6 1 3 2

7 1 3 3

8 1 4 3

9 1 5 3

10 2 5 3

11 2 6 3

12 2 6 4

13 2 7 4

14 3 7 4

15 3 8 4

16 3 8 5

17 3 9 5

18 3 10 5

19 3 10 6

20 3 11 6

*This information is for your guidance only and is subject to change.

is this cruise worth the money ? should we book it ? will we be happy ?

It will be a lot more upscale then Carnival.

If we were talking land based hotels think of Carnival as a Holiday Inn and Silversea as a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons Hotel.

No one can decide if it is worth the money but you.

We have taken several Alaska cruises including one on the Silver Shadow.

It certainly will provide you with a luxurious experience.

Keith

If you like Carnival, this will be nothing like Carnival and you will most likely find it boring. The ships are 1/8 to 1/10 of the size, and you will find the entertainment, activities and food to be few/sparse compared to the big ships...as well as the various venues. Plus the passenger mix will probably be much more sedate.

It might be best to try an upscale larger ship, such as Celebrity, or an upscale mid size ship such as Azamara before moving to Silversea.

Just my opinion.

If you like Carnival, this will be nothing like Carnival and you will most likely find it boring. The ships are 1/8 to 1/10 of the size, and you will find the entertainment, activities and food to be few/sparse compared to the big ships...as well as the various venues. Plus the passenger mix will probably be much more sedate.

It might be best to try an upscale larger ship, such as Celebrity, or an upscale mid size ship such as Azamara before moving to Silversea.

Just my opinion.

That's pretty good advice IMO.

We went through several mass market lines in the beginning (started 20+ years ago on NCL, then X and Princess). Moved to Oceania and loved it, and are now really happy with SS. You don't mention your age, but we are mid 40s and on the younger side of the demographic onboard. Never a problem.

Judging from our one experience on Carnival, have to agree that SS would be a markedly different experience for you. If you're actually looking for that totally different experience, then the jump from Carnival to SS may be great for you. If you're looking for a more upscale version of a larger ship, then you might be disappointed. And the per-diem cost for SS vs Carnival would make it an expensive disappointment.

Just want to agree with the advice above. Small luxury lines like Silversea are a VERY different experience from the big, mainstream lines. Sedate is a good word to describe the environment. Very grown-up. Not a lot of organized activities. Reading at the pool is a favorite occupation. But this is what SS regulars love about the line (as well as the excellent service, of course), and many wouldn't be caught dead on Carnival. If you're not looking to venture too far from the Carnival lifestyle, Silversea could be an expensive mistake and a waste of precious vacation time. But if you want a really different, low key, kind of quiet experience, Silversea could indeed be for you.

I agree that you should scour Silversea's website to learn what is - and isn't - offered. Get a copy of their big brochure, too (it can be easier to navigate than the website); read the General Information section in the back to learn pretty much everything you need to know. It's really important to do your own research so you'll make an informed decision. And yes, definitely discuss your thoughts and prefereness with your travel agent, who should be very familiar with both products and is probably the best person to guide your choice. Good luck - what an exciting project! And please be sure to let us know what you decide.

Just want to agree with the advice above. Small luxury lines like Silversea are a VERY different experience from the big, mainstream lines. Sedate is a good word to describe the environment. Very grown-up. Not a lot of organized activities. Reading at the pool is a favorite occupation. But this is what SS regulars love about the line (as well as the excellent service, of course), and many wouldn't be caught dead on Carnival. If you're not looking to venture too far from the Carnival lifestyle, Silversea could be an expensive mistake and a waste of precious vacation time. But if you want a really different, low key, kind of quiet experience, Silversea could indeed be for you.

I agree that you should scour Silversea's website to learn what is - and isn't - offered. Get a copy of their big brochure, too (it can be easier to navigate than the website); read the General Information section in the back to learn pretty much everything you need to know. It's really important to do your own research so you'll make an informed decision. And yes, definitely discuss your thoughts and prefereness with your travel agent, who should be very familiar with both products and is probably the best person to guide your choice. Good luck - what an exciting project! And please be sure to let us know what you decide.

I always describe Silversea as "a country club at sea" when friends ask me what's it like. That seems to give them a perfect understanding of the experience onboard without having to explain further.

I always describe Silversea as "a country club at sea" when friends ask me what's it like. That seems to give them a perfect understanding of the experience onboard without having to explain further.

I think that's a good summation.

I can't help but think that it's 'one giant leap' to go from Carnival to SS, and one that not everyone who enjoys Carnival would see as a positive leap. If I still worked in the travel industry and was asked to advise about this, I think I'd give the exact advice that HermantheCat gave.

There again, I speak as one who started cruising with Silversea. I have no experience of other lines, except Seabourn, so my opinion isn't based on personal experience.

While I agree with what other posters have offered, and the comparison is somewhat like apples to oranges, I would like to add a comment regarding how

"expensive" Silversea is. Yes, the upfront cost is much higher than Carnival, but be aware that you are getting a suite not a cabin; there is no tipping; and drinks are included; thus minimizing the extras that are charged on lower-cost ships.

I thought Oceania was the "country club at sea" with their country club casual dress code :D

Most country clubs have an occasional dressy night. And technically there is a difference between describing something that resembles a country club and something being country club casual. I know it's semantics but.....

Most country clubs have an occasional dressy night. And technically there is a difference between describing something that resembles a country club and something being country club casual. I know it's semantics but.....

Henry,

I guess I am not very funny (no news to me) as I meant my comment more as a joke/play on words (hence this :D).

Archived