Tendering a Tender Subject in Juneau on Solstice

LkGcruiser

I have to disagree with you a bit. Suite passengers pay for an upgraded experience throughout, not just a bigger room ... hence the gold room keys, priority embarkation, butlers, etc. One perk for booking excursions through the ship is priority debarkation.

OK- so is X providing the ability for non suite and non X excursion passengers to pay a separate fee for priority debarkation?

I added up the ship capacity of all the ships visiting Juneau this year.

It is 14.7 billion passengers, each dropping between $100 and $200. Wow. Juneau is going to have a great year.:D

Also noticed that the last ship to leave town is Oosterdam September 25. I bet there will be some souvenir bargains in town for that one.

Did you check your work before posting? Kindly show your work so that we can see where you went wrong. Using a PP's figure of 20,000 pax per day every day of the year, both unrealistic, it would take 20 centuries, time not the ship, to get that many people.

Re: The 14.7 billion figure.....

Actually, I was kidding.:D I just made up an enormous number. I really do not have the time nor inclination to add them all up.

Juneau tourist board or something similar probably already did that.

But a quick calculation (estimate) might go something like this:

5 months x 4 ships per day x 30 days per month x 2000 passengers per ship = 1.2 million passengers.

Bet I'm close! :p

Actually, I was kidding.:D I just made up an enormous number. I really do not have the time nor inclination to add them all up.

5 months x 4 ships per day x 30 days per month x 2000 passengers per ship = 1.2 million passengers.

Hot Diggity Dog!! I was close!

http://capitalcityweekly.com/slideshows/090110/702977953/slide1.shtml

Given c some of the outrageous "facts" posted here, one never knows . . . pesky decimal places :)

Tendering is never easy -- whether it's in the Caribbean or Europe or Alaska. It's a fact of cruising that sometimes, in order to see a certain port, the ship must use tenders. On some itineraries, there are so many who get "priority" tendering, between the ship's excursions, the suite passengers and the Elites, that 3/4 of the ship or more qualify. So it's hardly a big perk! Relax, you're on vacation!

X clearly treats certain passengers with more importance.

Suite passengers get tendered before non suite passengers.

Those who buy X's excursions get tendered before those who buy non X excursions.

X is perpetuating the class system beyond where the distinction should be applied. First class life boats soon to be announced?

EVERY passenger booked passage to the ports listed in the itinerary. Passengers paying more for a larger room should not diminish the worth/rights of passengers who bought a smaller room.

Passengers booking an X excursion should not diminish the worth/rights of passengers who booked a non X excursion or who just want off the boat for any other purpose.

It's not just Suite passengers that receive the priority perk. Passengers that have reached the Elite cruising status also recieve it. And many of those stay in an inside cabin...So your comment isn't entirely correct.

I have a friend that lives in Juneau year round. I think I'll ask her what the statistics are regarding cruise ship tourism.

"X clearly treats certain passengers with more importance.

Suite passengers get tendered before non suite passengers."

And airlines treat certain passengers with more importance. First class passengers get to board before others, and also are first off the plane.

And concert halls treat certain audience members with more importance. Those who paid more get to sit closer to the stage.

And omigosh, Even the public library treats certain patrons with more importance. For a dollar, they will hold a book for you. Everyone else has to put their name on a waiting list.

where will it end!!!:D

That is NOT the case...sorry to argue. Your Suite Status, Aqua Class, Galley Crew - none of it mattered in Juneau. Sorry...Was there. It was horrific as we didnt even START the process until well over an hour after we were supposed to.

I also have never seen a ship use its emergency boats to do the job.

Posted earlier - it is NOT a new concept - I know that the Solstice was brought to Alaska this year in place of another smaller ship from the 12 season - I believe some logistic details were overlooked upon this change by the suits. One can only hope that you future tender victims in Juneau will have a better experience as time typically dictates improvement...Hope so. The 40$ cab ride to catch our tour was not in the budget.

The previous poster is right. Your class doesn't matter in the tendering process, at least not if it's concierge class. It was a NIGHTMARE! We were early to stand in line for tendering tickets. While there was a long line, we weren't that far back. We were given #12. Since we were docking at 1:30 and our private excursion wasn't until 4:00, we weren't too worried about it. Also, we had asked at guest services whether our being concierge would allow us to get off quicker and was told no. That it only helped for embark and debark. However, they said if around 3:00 our # hadn't been called, then we could just come back to them and they would get us on the next tender.

So, no worries, right? Not so fast. At 3:00 they were calling tender #6. I went to guest services and told them I needed an earlier tender. We were to meet our pickup for the tour at 3:45. She said the only # she had was 19! I told her what I was told by a different staff member. She said, "sorry" and just shrugged her shoulders. I was really starting to sweat as we had paid $2000 for the four of us for this excursion. Long story short--after much complaining we were given "priority tendering" tickets. We left with the next tender and arrived at the dock at exactly 3:35. At the time we left they were on #7.

I have a friend that lives in Juneau year round. I think I'll ask her what the statistics are regarding cruise ship tourism.

Passenger numbers in Juneau dipped during the great recession, to about 800K. It has been steadily rising. They expect about 1 million this year. usually hovering around 900K.

I was close in my estimate! :D

I also have never seen a ship use its emergency boats to do the job.

This is not really that unusual. The QM2 uses their own tenders (aka lifeboats with windows) in the Carribean frequently.

Passenger numbers in Juneau dipped during the great recession, to about 800K. It has been steadily rising. They expect about 1 million this year. usually hovering around 900K.

I was close in my estimate! :D

Thanks!

Those who buy X's excursions get tendered before those who buy non X excursions.

X is perpetuating the class system beyond where the distinction should be applied. First class life boats soon to be announced?

EVERY passenger booked passage to the ports listed in the itinerary. Passengers paying more for a larger room should not diminish the worth/rights of passengers who bought a smaller room.

Passengers booking an X excursion should not diminish the worth/rights of passengers who booked a non X excursion or who just want off the boat for any other purpose.

Duh, of course they do and so do most other cruise lines, Its not a class system for a number of other reasons. Do you really have anything of importance to impart to us or are you going to keep posting complaints about everything. Sounds just like your silly argument in the dress code thread, been there done that, please something new or something helpful.

Archived