Star to replace Grand Princess Alaska?

iceleven

Does anyone know why the Star is going to be replacing the Grand for the San Francisco-Alaska itineraries next spring? And along with that change, it will be replacing the Hawaiian and Mexico cruises. Last year we took the Sea Princess for the same itinerary.

It really doesn't make any difference to me, I am just curious as to why the ships change as they do. Is one more efficient than another with the particular cruises or is it dependent on supply and demand? One ship holds more passengers over another?

Just curious.

Does anyone know why the Star is going to be replacing the Grand for the San Francisco-Alaska itineraries next spring? And along with that change, it will be replacing the Hawaiian and Mexico cruises. Last year we took the Sea Princess for the same itinerary.

It really doesn't make any difference to me, I am just curious as to why the ships change as they do. Is one more efficient than another with the particular cruises or is it dependent on supply and demand? One ship holds more passengers over another?

Just curious.

One reason it that the Diamond and Sapphire will not be in Alaska in 2014.

They are scheduled for Japan & Asia in 2014.

Interesting that both ships are returning to where they were built.
The send-off we received on the Diamond a couple of weeks ago when sailing from Yokohama was spectacular. They've done an incredible job there with what is probably the most gorgeous cruise terminal I've ever seen. They are really looking forward to having the ships based there next year.

Just curious.

Where did you get this information? I am booked on Grand Princess, Oc.t 2nd 2014, Vancouver to Hawaii and return to Vancouver.

Very curious.

john

Where did you get this information? I am booked on Grand Princess, Oc.t 2nd 2014, Vancouver to Hawaii and return to Vancouver.

Very curious.

john

Yes, your cruise is correct but it then begins it's Hawaiian cruises out of L.A.

This year the Grand was sailing out of San Francisco but next year it will be the Star sailing out of SF. I'm just curious why they are being all switched around. Still not sure what the Diamond and Sapphire has to do with what is happening out of SF.

If the Star Princess pulls out of Seattle. What ships will be doing the Seattle - Alaska runs next summer?
The Grand, doing the Inside Passage with Tracy Arm Fjord, and the Golden, doing the Inside Passage with Glacier Bay, will be sailing out of Seattle in 2014.

Just curious.

Lots of people won't go on the same ship on the same itinerary.

If you replace the ship with an identical one, but with a different name,

people will go.

Remove crown from houston. Replace with emerald.

To me, it would be easier to be carnival, and just paint on a

new name -- like Sunshine.

Yes, your cruise is correct but it then begins it's Hawaiian cruises out of L.A.

This year the Grand was sailing out of San Francisco but next year it will be the Star sailing out of SF. I'm just curious why they are being all switched around. Still not sure what the Diamond and Sapphire has to do with what is happening out of SF.

I don't get it either - it was all a big thing that Grand Princess was going to be calling SF home and then they move her out and put Star Princess here. Not sure why the switch...the ships are almost identical in layout and passenger capacity. The SF to Alaska itinerary in 2014 is going to be 11 days instead of 10, but that certainly doesn't make a difference.

I was looking forward to calling Grand Princess ours...she fits SF well.

I don't get it either - it was all a big thing that Grand Princess was going to be calling SF home and then they move her out and put Star Princess here. Not sure why the switch...the ships are almost identical in layout and passenger capacity. The SF to Alaska itinerary in 2014 is going to be 11 days instead of 10, but that certainly doesn't make a difference.

I was looking forward to calling Grand Princess ours...she fits SF well.

Ships change home ports all the time. Part of it is marketing, but I am certain there are many factors involved that we are not privy to. I was very happy when I learned the Grand was replacing the Sea Princess in SF. I did a BVE on the Sea Princess and determined she was not a ship I wanted to spend much time on.

I did the same thing on the Grand when she was here in March. Much to my surprise, I felt the same about her. I guess I've been spoiled by the Sapphire, which is currently their best ship. The Grand felt a bit dowdy to me overall. I liked the design of the new "One Five Nightclub" (though I prefer the views from Skywalkers better), and the new outdoor "lounge like" seating area aft of it.

My biggest complaint about the Grand is the spa. I like to work out at the gym and take steam/sauna and shower afterwards. Unfortunately this is not conducive on the Grand as the steam and saunas are located outside, as well as the shower. The steam room is a prefab plastic room, which feels more appropriate to a campground than a luxury cruise ship. I changed two of the three cruises I had booked on her out of SF.

I welcome the Star to San Francisco, and an extra day on the Alaska itinerary! David

Ships change home ports all the time. Part of it is marketing, but I am certain there are many factors involved that we are not privy to. I was very happy when I learned the Grand was replacing the Sea Princess in SF. I did a BVE on the Sea Princess and determined she was not a ship I wanted to spend much time on.

I did the same thing on the Grand when she was here in March. Much to my surprise, I felt the same about her. I guess I've been spoiled by the Sapphire, which is currently their best ship. The Grand felt a bit dowdy to me overall. I liked the design of the new "One Five Nightclub" (though I prefer the views from Skywalkers better), and the new outdoor "lounge like" seating area aft of it.

My biggest complaint about the Grand is the spa. I like to work out at the gym and take steam/sauna and shower afterwards. Unfortunately this is not conducive on the Grand as the steam and saunas are located outside, as well as the shower. The steam room is a prefab plastic room, which feels more appropriate to a campground than a luxury cruise ship. I changed two of the three cruises I had booked on her out of SF.

I welcome the Star to San Francisco, and an extra day on the Alaska itinerary! David

I understand that ships change home ports all the time...but that's not the way Grand Princess' arrival in SF was marketed.

I'm sorry you missed a cruise on Sea Princess - the Sun Class are lovely ships. A BVE barely scratches the surface. I wish they were still around to offer some variety to the Princess product.

I agree with you about the spa and gym area on Grand Princess - Star Princess definitely has her beat, especially with the Thermal Suite. The steam room in the locker area of Star Princess is, however, the same pre-fab that you find on Grand and Golden...and Emerald for that matter. While going outside to take a steam is a bit of a hassle, it's not impossible.

And as for me, I've never been one to collect newer ships - in fact I tend to like the older, seasoned ships better. I was on Star Princess in October and noticed a lot of creaking and groaning - more than one would expect - and there was some issues with the condition of my stateroom. So I think it can happen to any ship. Grand Princess' peculiarities fit San Francisco well - that's why I thought she'd be such a good fit. But you're probably right - there's enough of a market here so that if people were dissatisfied with her, Princess would hear.

Guess that would depend on what part of 2014 you're referring to. I'm booked on the Grand twice next April, a Calif Coastal then RT to Hawaii, both out of SFO.

I understand that ships change home ports all the time...but that's not the way Grand Princess' arrival in SF was marketed.

I'm sorry you missed a cruise on Sea Princess - the Sun Class are lovely ships. A BVE barely scratches the surface. I wish they were still around to offer some variety to the Princess product.

I agree with you about the spa and gym area on Grand Princess - Star Princess definitely has her beat, especially with the Thermal Suite. The steam room in the locker area of Star Princess is, however, the same pre-fab that you find on Grand and Golden...and Emerald for that matter. While going outside to take a steam is a bit of a hassle, it's not impossible.

And as for me, I've never been one to collect newer ships - in fact I tend to like the older, seasoned ships better. I was on Star Princess in October and noticed a lot of creaking and groaning - more than one would expect - and there was some issues with the condition of my stateroom. So I think it can happen to any ship. Grand Princess' peculiarities fit San Francisco well - that's why I thought she'd be such a good fit. But you're probably right - there's enough of a market here so that if people were dissatisfied with her, Princess would hear.

I am not sure how the Grand was marketed in SF, but I do know that marketing is designed to maximize profits. I don't take too much heed in marketing (look at the models in all the Princess brochures - I don't see those types of people on the any Princess cruises I've taken - nor ANY of the mass market lines for that matter :eek: ;))! How was she marketed in SF?

I really like the looks of the Sun Class ships from the outside. I think it's a beautiful and graceful profile. I just felt like it was very dated and chopped up on the inside, and again, I did not like the spa. One of the reasons I choose a ship is for the ambiance I feel on board. I did not feel it on the Sea Princess. Don't get me wrong, I like older and smaller ships (RCI Vision class; Celebrity Mercury & Century to name a few).

What type of variety would you like to see in the Princess product?

The new builds are marketed as bigger and better for the guests. To me that is just marketing, as they are really designed more for profits than anything else. The new Royal Princess has no full Promenade Deck. It was designed to increase balconies (profits) rather than guest satisfaction. It's all about profit these days, but marketed as something else. Many existing ships are taking out all or part of existing public venues, and views, and substituting cabins in their place. It's unfortunate, but I understand the reasoning in this competitive market. Reminds me of the "Emporer's New Clothes" - they keep telling us how much better it is for us, but I can see thru the marketing hype.

I agree with you about the prefab steam rooms on those ships, which is one reason I really liked the Diamond & Sapphire. Give me real tile over prefab plastic any day! It feels like a SPA, not an after thought. By the way, the new Royal should have a wonderful looking spa - unfortunately it will not be available for those of us who use the gym, without a hike and a fee. You are right - enjoy the older ships that offer what we have become accustomed to!

"Grand Princess' peculiarities fit San Francisco well". To what peculiarities are you referring? David

I've embeded my responses...

I am not sure how the Grand was marketed in SF, but I do know that marketing is designed to maximize profits. I don't take too much heed in marketing (look at the models in all the Princess brochures - I don't see those types of people on the any Princess cruises I've taken - nor ANY of the mass market lines for that matter :eek: ;))! How was she marketed in SF?

I believe she was marketed as having a year round home in San Francisco - but one season, for me at least, doesn't make a year round home. Princess would have been more truthful if they had said they were going to have a year round presence in San Francisco and left reference to any specific ship out. I didn't expect her to be here forever, but I got the impression that it would be more than a year. As for the Princess brochures, it would be nice if the people on board looked more like the models, but I get your point.

I really like the looks of the Sun Class ships from the outside. I think it's a beautiful and graceful profile. I just felt like it was very dated and chopped up on the inside, and again, I did not like the spa. One of the reasons I choose a ship is for the ambiance I feel on board. I did not feel it on the Sea Princess. Don't get me wrong, I like older and smaller ships (RCI Vision class; Celebrity Mercury & Century to name a few).

Hmm...totally not my impression at all. Those that tout Princess' interiors as staid might agree with you, but really they have an interior design much like the Grand Class - even Royal Princess mirrors their design. Might be because the same person has been in charge of the interior design all these years. The spa area - while not extensive - does offer steam and sauna in the changing rooms and the gym area is well equipped. Horizon Court has wonderful vistas out over the bow, the atrium has four decks instead of three and the pizzeria - precursor to Alfredos - has great dinners over looking the atrium and the activity below.

What type of variety would you like to see in the Princess product?

I'd like to see a return to the Sun Class model. Updated with modern amenities but still providing the smaller ship ambience. Coral and Island Princesses would be the prototype although I don't particularly like the hodge-podge cabin and balcony layout. But a big roomy ship with 2000 people would be perfect for my taste. Unfortunately that won't come to pass with Princess as the cruise line is intrenched in the mass market business model.

The new builds are marketed as bigger and better for the guests. To me that is just marketing, as they are really designed more for profits than anything else. The new Royal Princess has no full Promenade Deck. It was designed to increase balconies (profits) rather than guest satisfaction. It's all about profit these days, but marketed as something else. Many existing ships are taking out all or part of existing public venues, and views, and substituting cabins in their place. It's unfortunate, but I understand the reasoning in this competitive market. Reminds me of the "Emporer's New Clothes" - they keep telling us how much better it is for us, but I can see thru the marketing hype.

I agree - I'm totally overwhelmed with "meh" about Royal Princess. And I did find Mr. Caluori's comment about offering the balcony experience to everyone instead of building a promenade so telling of the direction that Princess has chosen to go. It will be interesting to see how successful Royal and Regal Princesses will be in their new incarnations given their original sisters were ground breaking for Princess. I too understand the need to remain competitive and to build ships that deliver economies of scale. But I think it does little to assuage those of us who are seasoned cruisers. All the hype about appealing to the "loyal" customers with Royal Princess was lost for me because as you say, the things that I like about Princess ships have been left out of this supposed evoluntionary design.

I agree with you about the prefab steam rooms on those ships, which is one reason I really liked the Diamond & Sapphire. Give me real tile over prefab plastic any day! It feels like a SPA, not an after thought. By the way, the new Royal should have a wonderful looking spa - unfortunately it will not be available for those of us who use the gym, without a hike and a fee. You are right - enjoy the older ships that offer what we have become accustomed to!

I too like the thermal spas - shared by Star Princess. I can spend a good 90 minutes there each day between the steam, sauna and a nap on the heated loungers. It's unfortunate that Grand and Golden don't share these for they are truly amenities that are premium for the Grand Class. And yes, Royal Princess has a great looking spa, but it agains follows your observations - taking away what the loyal customers appreciate in order to maximize profits.

"Grand Princess' peculiarities fit San Francisco well". To what peculiarities are you referring? David

Grand Princess is unique in the Princess fleet. I probably should have used that instead of "peculiarities." San Francisco is unique. I think they are both unique in positive ways...San Francisco doesn't deserve a cookie cutter ship.

Grand Princess is unique in the Princess fleet. I probably should have used that instead of "peculiarities." San Francisco is unique. I think they are both unique in positive ways...San Francisco doesn't deserve a cookie cutter ship.

How do you feel the Grand is unique to the fleet? I feel the Sapphire and Diamond are unique. In addition to the main dining room, they have four smaller dining rooms instead of just three large ones, like the other grand class ships. They also have the Wakeview Bar, unique for Princess.

How do you feel the Grand is unique to the fleet? I feel the Sapphire and Diamond are unique. In addition to the main dining room, they have four smaller dining rooms instead of just three large ones, like the other grand class ships. They also have the Wakeview Bar, unique for Princess.

The cutting off of Skywalkers, the inclusion of Club One5, the Piazza that is different in design than the other upgraded ships, Leaves Tea bar, Alfredos. OK, I'm struggling but you get my point. She's more "not unique" I guess but she was the platform for everything that followed her through Ruby Princess.

I agree with you that both Sappire and Diamond are brilliant ships and again, given the platform on which they were built, I would be happy to see one of them become a permanent fixture in SF. Unfortunately they are favored so much that Sapphire is being sent off to Asia. I would have been more than happy to see Grand go to Asia and Sappire stay here...Princess doesn't listen to me much.

I think although you and I may have differing view points, we are pretty much on the same page as far as what we think the cruise line is doing and should be doing - I'm enjoying our exchange.

The cutting off of Skywalkers, the inclusion of Club One5, the Piazza that is different in design than the other upgraded ships, Leaves Tea bar, Alfredos. OK, I'm struggling but you get my point. She's more "not unique" I guess but she was the platform for everything that followed her through Ruby Princess.

I agree with you that both Sappire and Diamond are brilliant ships and again, given the platform on which they were built, I would be happy to see one of them become a permanent fixture in SF. Unfortunately they are favored so much that Sapphire is being sent off to Asia. I would have been more than happy to see Grand go to Asia and Sappire stay here...Princess doesn't listen to me much.

I think although you and I may have differing view points, we are pretty much on the same page as far as what we think the cruise line is doing and should be doing - I'm enjoying our exchange.

Thanks for your observations on the Grand. When I was on her in March, I explored :eek: the area that used to be where you would get onto the moving walkways up to Skywalkers. It's now a fairly large "room", stripped down to the bare walls, that is not used for anything. It caught my attention because, from the outside, it looks like an unfinished space with opague plastic sheeting being used as a "wall" against the elements. Exploration always gives me pleasure ;).

Princess didn't ask me either, about what ship should be home ported here :mad:! I definitely would have chosen the Sapphire. I wrote a review about her, just after the refurbishment, that you might find interesting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1575620&page=4

Since she is going to the Asian market, it may explain why the Casino is so odd now. I will be curious to see if they add a bunch more slot machines in the cavernous space that is temporarily (I hope), and unfortunately a smoking lounge :(.

I am enjoying our exchanges also. The mass market lines are truly changing. Glad I was here for the transition since 2005, a feeling I am sure is shared by those who have witnessed huge changes in the past 20 years, when food and service were paramount on them. David

Princess didn't ask me either, about what ship should be home ported here :mad:! I definitely would have chosen the Sapphire. I wrote a review about her, just after the refurbishment, that you might find interesting: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1575620&page=4

Nice review of Sapphire Princess and yes she does sound like the Diamond of the fleet. Even with the parts of the renovation that weren't completed, she's pretty much got every thing the other ships do. For what it's worth, I also have had better meals in Sterling Steakhouses than in the Crown Grill and while I didn't do Sterling on Sapphire, I would imagine it could be fairly nice with the views from Horizon Court vs. the views of the Promenade from Crown Grill ...

Nice review of Sapphire Princess and yes she does sound like the Diamond of the fleet. Even with the parts of the renovation that weren't completed, she's pretty much got every thing the other ships do. For what it's worth, I also have had better meals in Sterling Steakhouses than in the Crown Grill and while I didn't do Sterling on Sapphire, I would imagine it could be fairly nice with the views from Horizon Court vs. the views of the Promenade from Crown Grill ...

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I have yet to make it to Sterling on Sapphire or Diamond. I am so enamered by the four smaller dining rooms...

It is very well done up there at night though. The area is separated by drapes, so it is very private. I think the ideal dinner reservation would be around sunset, so you can enjoy the view for awhile, and then the candlelight. It does not suprise me about the meals.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. I have yet to make it to Sterling on Sapphire or Diamond. I am so enamered by the four smaller dining rooms...

It is very well done up there at night though. The area is separated by drapes, so it is very private. I think the ideal dinner reservation would be around sunset, so you can enjoy the view for awhile, and then the candlelight. It does not suprise me about the meals.

I was checking out Flickr to see if I could find some interior shots of the updated Sapphire but very little luck. I'm hoping she comes back and stays a while so that I can check her out for myself...

I was checking out Flickr to see if I could find some interior shots of the updated Sapphire but very little luck. I'm hoping she comes back and stays a while so that I can check her out for myself...

You might want to check out this vid

. Pics don't really do it justice though. Once you step on board, prepare to be forever spoiled :D.

Archived