My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Getting ready to set sail next Friday, and I have a quick question. The dress code for dinner on the ship says that sandals for men aren't acceptable. If my DH wears long pants and nice sandals (not flip flops!), will they turn him away? He was looking forward to not having to pack dress shoes for this trip!

Thanks!

Edi

P.S. Jo, thanks again for telling us about this cruise. We can't wait!

Getting ready to set sail next Friday, and I have a quick question. The dress code for dinner on the ship says that sandals for men aren't acceptable. If my DH wears long pants and nice sandals (not flip flops!), will they turn him away? He was looking forward to not having to pack dress shoes for this trip!

Thanks!

Edi

P.S. Jo, thanks again for telling us about this cruise. We can't wait!

Quite honestly I don't think they would turn you away if you were wearing flip-flops either, but my husband wore sandals and nobody batted an eye. What they will turn you away for is turning up late ...the doors close and that's it!

I'm wondering how embarkation and disembarkation works from Montego Bay. Our flight leaves at 12:30. Do we need to have pre-arranged transportation to the airport?

We have flown to and from Mobay and found things to be quite slow at the airport.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

HI all!

Ron ~ nice one!;)

Edi ~ wow, so glad you're going to try the Cuba cruise!:D Hope you enjoy it as much as the NCL Dawn. I'm pretty sure DH wore sandals, he often does & with socks.:o

Come back & let us know how you liked Cuba & the cruise.

Have a great week & bon voyage to anyone leaving soon.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hello Folks, We just got back from the Cuba cruise and had a wonderful time. Jan and I are looking forward to going back this fall. We met a bunch of fun people on and off the ship. The crew was amazing and entertainment was unbelievably great. As on any cruise you just don't have time to do it all.

Just some hints: Convert your American dollars in either the first stop Santiago or better yet in the Havana cruise ship terminal. We used Canadian dollars and would have been better off taking the penalty of using US dollars.

Tip the crew directly, they work way too hard to share $10/day for each passenger. We should have taken a bunch of $1 bills for tipping on the ship and off. Most of the time we didn't receive coinage of Cuban CUC or CUP.

Bring Bubble wrap for your precious breakable Cuban items you bring back! Worked great. Hard sided luggage would be even better.

Power strip for cabin, we only one outlet/receptacle. We couldn't recharge more than one device at a time.

Buy most of your souvenirs away for old Havana tourist areas. The San Jose market was a good place but didn't have much time there. Selection and time gets smaller and shorter once you get to Maria la Gorda and Cenfuegos/Trinidad so shop according. Nothing from Cuba once you get to Jamaica.

See ya'll on the ship! Ric and Jan

Hi all!

Ric ~ welcome to the thread & Cruise Critic!:D Sounds like you had a great time on the cruise that' you're planning to go again. Is the ship sailing full these days?

Edi ~ you must be getting really excited with the cruise just days away! Safe travels & have a great cruise!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Jo! Excited? Yes! Mentally, I'm all packed. Physically, not so much. So our project for today, so tomorrow we can be ready to scoot out early for the airport. Tomorrow afternoon we'll be on the ship -- can't wait!

Edi

Edited by NextOne

Hello Jo, The ship was more full the first couple of ports of call until we departed from Havana. It didn't seem like as many people on the second half after Havana. We didn't have to wait for dinner or service. Plenty of room even for a smaller/older ship.

I'm ready to stay in Havana for a week but Jan loved the ports of calls, esp. Trinidad. We'll see what happens next fall/winter.

I wish we could have spent more time shopping! That's crazy from me, I hate shopping for tourist souvenirs. But the handmade jewelry and woodwork as very reasonable. Plus we didn't bring back a 50 lb bag of coffee beans like we wanted too. lol

I'm excited for you all if you are going on the cruise! The people to people tour guides are wonderful people. The professors doing the lectures are great. Watch out for the scammers, mostly in Havana, esp. the bait and switch or places that add-on costs to your bill at restaurants. Be sure to check out tripadvisor. Take Care, Ric & Jan

RicNoon, any specific suggestions to look for on Trip Advisor? I haven't had much luck searching for information regarding this trip. We sail on March 25 from Montego Bay.

Does anyone have advice on what to take for a powerstrip/converter? I see there might be a need for more outlets, but is it necessary to have a specific adaptor/converter?

Any other advice to heed before we embark on this adventure??! So excited!!

. . . Does anyone have advice on what to take for a powerstrip/converter? I see there might be a need for more outlets, but is it necessary to have a specific adaptor/converter?

As I recall, at the desk there were one U.S. 110V outlet and one european 220V outlet.

We took a Belkin "3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector." It has three U.S. 110V outlets and two USB ports. This unit is compact and reliable. I like that it has surge protection, as we did experience brief power outages during our cruise.

Woody

As I recall, at the desk there were one U.S. 110V outlet and one european 220V outlet.

...Woody

Hi Woody

The outlets are varied from cabin type to cabin type with at least one each of 110V and 220V. But surprisingly the washrooms have but one 220V. We use a very low Watt night light in the washroom wherever we travel to a) find it and, b) not disturb anyone else. For that reason and that reason alone we brought along a converter of from 220V to 110V.

I am still a little confused as to how you picked me out in the dining room, we having never met before. It was a nice surprise. The negatives of the last cruise have all but worn off and yes, we have already booked the 2017 cruise. Comments from Carlos the maitre d' that meal quality will be improved prompted us to do so. But as it is, we had to take second choice in cabins even at this early date.

My comment concerning having to take a second choice in cabin selection for 2017 was the result of no longer wanting the forward suites on deck 6. They are of course luxurious and ideal for any extended time aboard. But they have one very annoying flaw. As shown in the attached photo, the bulkhead forms the railing around the deck area.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ONT-CA/Louis%20Cristal.12_zpscovwmzt8.jpg

It is for the reason of security that these cabins are chosen for dignitaries. Anyone seated on the deck cannot be seen BUT neither can they see out to sea or surrounding landscapes without standing. Once the balconies became available we realized that we could have an open view of everything around us. Our first choice of balcony was unfortunately taken. Non the less, in some ways it will be like a new cruise for us next year if for nothing else being able to see the horizon while seated and having our coffee.

Edited by ONT-CA

Here are a few thoughts after our Cuba land and sea vacation that included direct flights to Varadero, Cuba, the 7-day cruise and 3 days in an all-inclusive resort in Varadero. Air fare, transfers, hotels, shows and all gratuities were included in our package.

After landing in Varadero, we changed money at the airport before the 2 hour bus ride to Havana and hotel check-in. That evening, we rode in vintage cars (ours was a 1956 Chevrolet BelAir) to the Tropicana. The 2 hour show was great but not worth the cost if not included in our package.

The next day, our group had a bus and walking tour of Havana, a fascinating city, before boarding the ship, an easy procedure at lunch time. After a comfortable night on board, 4 of us had a private tour that had been pre-arranged with the guide.

At Maria la Gorda, we booked the Cabo de San Antonio excursion. This tour is not recommended because it is basically 2 hours each way on a bus with not much to see.

We really enjoyed Cienfugos. While the centre of the city is within easy walking distance, we took a horse drawn wagon for a more extensive view of the sights.

Since we had been to Montego Bay before, we stayed on board that day.

Santiago de Cuba is a historically significant city with ties to the Spanish and the Revolution. A bus tour follow by a walking tour through the centre of the city was a highlight of the entire trip.

After the cruise, 3 days at the all-inclusive resort was a great way to end a winter vacation.

We have completed 17 Ocean cruise and 3 river cruises and were quite impress with the ship. Our XF cabin was perfect with adequate storage space. The ship, while old, is kept in immaculate condition. The food on board was good with only one meal in Amalthia Restaurant missing the mark. For evening dining, we recommend the Olympus Restaurant on Deck 5, go early and ask to be seated at one of Alberto Martins tables.

The evening shows in the Muses Lounge were excellent.

I had been in Cuba in 1960, not much has changed.

Cheers,

Don

But they have one very annoying flaw. As shown in the attached photo, the bulkhead forms the railing around the deck area.

I totally agree. This was my great disappointment with this wonderful cabin. I had to stand on my toes to see over the railing. They should put a platform on the deck. The area is large enough to accommodate a decent sized raised area while still allowing privacy for those who wish it.

. . . I am still a little confused as to how you picked me out in the dining room, we having never met before. It was a nice surprise.

My DW and I boarded in Montego Bay. I read on this My Cuba Cruise thread that you would board a couple of days later in Havana.

When managers and staff warmly greeted you in the dining room -- as if you were old friends -- I told my DW, "I think I know who that is."

It was a pleasure meeting you, and being able to thank you in person for the wealth of information you've shared.

My DW and I boarded in Montego Bay. I read on this My Cuba Cruise thread that you would board a couple of days later in Havana.

When managers and staff warmly greeted you in the dining room -- as if you were old friends -- I told my DW, "I think I know who that is."

It was a pleasure meeting you, and being able to thank you in person for the wealth of information you've shared.

Thank you Woody 73 for the nice compliments. As we have now sailed with this crew for over 70 days since the inaugural Cuba Cruse, the mutual feelings of friendship are well established and, as observed by you, evident in our dealings with each other.

Ron

H

I'm ready to stay in Havana for a week but Jan loved the ports of calls, esp. Trinidad. We'll see what happens next fall/winter.

Hi Ric-

We sail on Friday. Quick question (though I may have more). You discussed Trinidad in your post. Was there a specific excursion offered from the ship? How long did it take to get there and back? I went there 12 years ago and would love to take my husband, but unsure if it's practical from the port.

Thanks in advance!

We went on the ship's excursion to Trinidad and it was definitely worth visiting. The only downside is that there is only time for a quick drive by the main square in Cienfuegos, so that interesting City is missed. We were glad were saw Trinidad and would recommend it.

We went on the ship's excursion to Trinidad and it was definitely worth visiting. The only downside is that there is only time for a quick drive by the main square in Cienfuegos, so that interesting City is missed. We were glad were saw Trinidad and would recommend it.

How long does it take to get there from Cienfuegos? And what was the cost for the excursion?

Thanks much!

One other question: Has anyone done Copacabana without it being part of the ship's excursion? Such as booked on their own and took a taxi car? Thanks!

I honestly can't remember how much it cost ....we went a year ago. It was an all day trip with lunch included but since the Canadian company running the cruise last year has changed hands, the trip will probably have changed. Its a shame to miss Cienfuegos, but Trinidad is a charming town and we had a nice lunch there

How long does it take to get there from Cienfuegos? And what was the cost for the excursion?...

The last price list we have for Trinidad was $164, per person. It is an all day adventure, most of which is on a bus. However, taking the ship's excursion rather than a private tour guarantees your re embarkation, as the ship on occasion has had to wait for the tour bus to return before sailing.

In my estimation, Cienfuegos is not to be missed. Tough choices.

Hello CubaOrBust! Excursion cost is listed at $160/person. I thought it was less, maybe they lowered the cost to fill the shuttle van. It seemed way over priced at the time but now I'm glad we did it. You could probably save money by hiring taxi and see it on your own. Seems like a there were a lot of taxis and shuttle vans on the dock, but they might have been all taken.

The drive to Trinidad was about 2.5-3 hrs round trip. It was a bit nerve-racking when we passed slower traffic on the curvy road.

We loved the town and our guide "Lady" did a wonderful job. We didn't have a full day in port at Cienfuegos. We were suppose to dock by 8pm and be back on board by 2:30, but it was moved to 3:30. Still not much time for a 3 hour drive, lunch, tour and site seeing, much less any shopping. The town was really kewl though. I'm glad we saw it, even though we missed seeing Cienfuegos. Although we did have time for a quick drive around town before going back to the ship. All the more reason to go back!

kwbluvsun- TripAdvisor would be great for any restaurants or things to do in Havana. Not too much info on the cruise except on here. Any standard power strip or mulit-plug receptacle will do in your cabin. The smaller the better as you will probably only need two receptacles at a time.

You lucky Cruisers!

... One other question: Has anyone done Copacabana without it being part of the ship's excursion? Such as booked on their own and took a taxi car? Thanks!

From previous postings it appears you can make your own reservations via the internet. (Note: they do not accept US credit cards.) It is a 15 km cab ride from the doc by cab however getting a cab to return to the ship is the problem.