My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

I totally agree. This was my great disappointment with this wonderful cabin. I had to stand on my toes to see over the railing. They should put a platform on the deck. The area is large enough to accommodate a decent sized raised area while still allowing privacy for those who wish it.

No matter what we suggest, burm, the answer is always no, due to safety factors. My bar stool idea was greeted with a laugh and a comment about the loss of children climbing up on them. Had to give them that one. The raised platform would have to be of a height that, during rough seas, anyone falling from it could be injured beyond a bruise or two. Alas, I think that those private decks must remain for those of us who would be heard but not seen...

Have to catch up with the last few pages, but I thought I'd add my observations of the differences between this year's cruise and last, before any more time elapses.

This year, the mostly-nonfunctional computer stations have been removed, and therefore the only internet available was wifi. In a very pleasant surprise, it was actually very fast and reliable. I had no problems connecting, and the speed was remarkable, even when uploading pictures. I was able to use both of my phones and my laptop, but there were tablets available by hourly rental if needed.

There were new decor elements in the form of Cuban-flag-painted cows and bears around ship.

Two additional eating areas were available, the formerly closed dining room on Deck 5 and the half of the buffet that formerly housed the steakhouse. This helped with the congestion at mealtimes that occurred last year.

Contrary to the reports I read, drink service was much better this year than last (though, that's not to say it was overly quick... but the attitude and even the promptness of service was much improved over last year's debacle).

The gelato cart has been replaced with a Greek ice cream cart.

There were different singers this year, but many of the dancers were the same crew as last year. A few of the shows were new productions.

As previously mentioned, there were more optional add ons/upcharges this year, such as the fee for the bbq lunch on the beach day. Generally costs on onboard were higher due to being in USD, but the bridge tour was actually less expensive ($12 USD vs $20 CAD last year).

The disembarkation process in the ports has been radically improved. Things moved at a reasonable pace. Temperatures were only taken once, in Cienfuegos. This may have been due to the reported norovirus outbreak on board. Buffet service was generally not self-serve, and hand sanitizer was being pushed, which seemed to corroborate the rumored outbreak.

For the P2P travelers (and anyone interested in attending the lectures), there were two professors instead of one. This year there were many more people embarking in MBJ vs last year. I was not thrilled to have to go on what I assumed would be the same tours as last year's, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find that almost every tour was different from last year. The only similarities were the theater visit in Cienfuegos and the rum store in Santiago.

Having a window this year was a huge improvement over last year's inside, and the TV was mercifully an updated, flat screen model. The downside was I had a shower curtain instead of a sliding door this year. But the hot water worked! :cool:

I did not experience the issues with the motion of the ship that others have mentioned, but I did hear it was rough on the Jamaica to Santiago passage the week prior to my sailing.

The beach at Maria La Gorda didn't have the bug issues I read about, but the coral, combined with my lack of water shoes, prevented me from going out into the water. Having access to fully equipped bathroom facilities was a positive, though.

I wasn't thrilled with being required to vacate the room by 7am on the last morning. However, I was very excited to find out that we were permitted to come and go all day on the last day of the cruise. I was even able to have dinner and use the remaining wifi minutes on the day I disembarked.

The best exchange rate this year was in Euros (which I didn't have :(), followed by Canadian dollars, with British pounds being slightly less favorable. USD continues to incur an additional 10% tax. Very strangely, the best rates this year were at hotels (Nacional, Melia, Iberostar), and the bank had an even less favorable exchange rate than the cadeca at the Havana port.

I noticed the street vendors seemed more active this year, and the greatly increased presence of Americans was obvious. Only in Varadero did my presence result in any surprise. This did not work in my favor when departing Varadero. I wound up being detained for an hour because my passport had no Cuban stamps in it, nor was there a stamp from the day visit to Jamaica. The guy who was acting like the supervisor couldn't seem to comprehend that there were no stamps because I was traveling on a U.S. passport (his colleagues kept saying "americana, americana" when he was making an issue of it). I ended up showing them my cruise ticket, the daily programs, even some of the pictures on my camera to show where I had been. I was finally permitted to leave, but not before they confiscated tweezers from my carry-on bag :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll think of more things, but I've already written a novel here ;) Just wanted to offer my perspective on some of the changes I noticed.

How long does it take to get there from Cienfuegos? And what was the cost for the excursion?

Thanks much!

One other question: Has anyone done Copacabana without it being part of the ship's excursion? Such as booked on their own and took a taxi car? Thanks!

Trinidad was $160pp as of the Feb 29 sailing. I booked Tropicana tickets (85 CUC) at a hotel tour desk (same price as online, but as mentioned, US cards don't work) and took the most surreal cab rides (15 CUC each way) of my life, haha. There was no issue getting a return cab, as the brothers who drove me there arranged to pick me up at the end and were waiting outside. We had a hilarious conversation because their English and my Spanish were about equivalent. They wrote me a note "in Cuba do you have two friend's for ever" The price beat the ship's price, and the experience blew the tour away ;)

Two more things! Upon arrival at Varadero, the (non-English speaking) immigration official sent me over to the tour/insurance desk to purchase a policy. Since I had proof of the insurance pre-purchased through the ship, and the woman at the insurance desk spoke/read English, the matter was quickly resolved with a stamp on my tourist card without further payment being required.

One other notable change this year was the proliferation of wifi access points in parks and other public spaces. It was obvious anywhere there was a hotspot as there would be a crowd of Cubans (and some tourists) standing around staring at smartphones :)

We would appreciate a comment from anyone who has occupied one of the new balcony suites located on Deck 7. A description of these cabins says that they are equipped with a "walk in" shower. Conceptually most showers aboard ship are walk in showers. Can anyone elaborate a little in describing the washroom found in these suites in question. Thanks

Chimo

Ron

Hola! We just got off the ship today and were in cabin 7008. The shower stall is sort of triangle-shaped, with a sliding door. That left just enough room in the rest of the washroom for the sink and toilet. Not a lot of space, but enough for one person. Awkward if two want to use the space simultaneously!

We had problems with our toilet all week -- didn't want to flush. Tried various approaches (running water in the sink, pumping the button quickly then holding it, etc.), but success was sporadic. At times we wondered if they should have skipped adding the balconies and invested in new plumbing instead!

All that said, it was a marvelous trip. A beautiful country and amazing people!

A word of warning -- the customs officer in Baltimore insisted that US citizens could only bring home cigars and rum (within the $100 limit) if they went directly home to the US from Cuba, without a stop in other countries. In other words, because we got off the ship and boarded the plane in Jamaica, we weren't allowed to bring in either Cuban cigars or alcohol. "Read the State Department rules" we were told. After being lectured like third graders, we were allowed to keep our 3 cigars....:cool:

Edi

Edited by NextOne

Thank you for the information on the status of the shower in 7008. I must say I am a little disappointed. The forward suites had a full bathtub/shower. C'est la vie

As to flushing, we eventually just got use to the idea that you pushed the button once and when the system did eventually decide to activate, it did. A sometimes embarrassing nuisance but not unlike many other ships we have been aboard.

We have learned that there is no connection between the sink/shower (grey water) and the toilet systems (black water). The latter goes to holding tanks to be chemically treated before being discharged at sea in permissible areas. Grey water on the other hand can be released directly into open water.

Glad you mention the Duty question (although not affecting us) But I wondered about the original stipulation for travel to Cuba by US citizens in that no purchases be made contravening the embargo. From your comment that no longer applies, regardless of the third country problem you encountered.

How was disembarkation in Jamaica? How long did it take to get from the ship to the airport? Will there be plenty of time to make a12:55 flight?

We sail on April first and I'm getting worried about making our flight. Most of what I read previously indicated the ship docked at 6 a.m. but our documents say 8 a.m.

I have been so glad you are all sharing your experiences. It makes my planning so much easier.

A word of warning -- the customs officer in Baltimore insisted that US citizens could only bring home cigars and rum (within the $100 limit) if they went directly home to the US from Cuba, without a stop in other countries. In other words, because we got off the ship and boarded the plane in Jamaica, we weren't allowed to bring in either Cuban cigars or alcohol. "Read the State Department rules" we were told. After being lectured like third graders, we were allowed to keep our 3 cigars....:cool:

Edi

I *did* read the rules, and I disagree with their interpretation. Not to mention that Treasury writes these rules, not State :rolleyes: This was a matter of concern for me, as I was going to be re-entering the U.S. from Canada.

"31. Can I purchase Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other alcohol while traveling in Cuba?

Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption while there. Authorized travelers may return to the United States with up to $100 worth of alcohol and/or tobacco products acquired in Cuba in accompanied baggage, for personal use only."

Here is what the regs said as of Jan 26, 2016. I had to find my copy of the rules, as the link I had has already been updated to reflect this week's changes. Emphasis is mine: "32. Can I purchase Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol while in a third country (i.e., not Cuba)?

No. These transactions remain prohibited, and OFAC has not issued any general license that would authorize them."

Now, the answer to 32 is: "Effective March 16, 2016, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction may purchase or acquire Cuban origin merchandise, including alcohol and tobacco products, while in a third country provided such products are consumed while in a third country. This authorization does not allow for the importation of any Cuban-origin merchandise into the United States, including as accompanied baggage. For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.585©."

Notice that in both instances, the rules pertain to the country where the purchase occurred, not any countries that may be transited subsequent to the purchase.

In fact, it goes on to mention "33. As an authorized traveler, may I travel from a third country to Cuba and from Cuba to a third country?

Yes, a person subject to U.S. jurisdiction engaging in authorized travel-related transactions may travel to Cuba from a third country or to a third country from Cuba. Persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction traveling to and from Cuba via a third country may only do so if their travel-related transactions are authorized by a general or specific license issued by OFAC, and are subject to the same restrictions and requirements as persons traveling directly from the United States." Note that, again, there is no mention of any prohibition on bringing items that would otherwise be compliant with the laws.

Sassy12, you should have no trouble making your flight. Our flight was same time just last week on March 11.

We arrived shortly after 8 - you have to be out of the cabin by 7 (bummer) but you can stay on the ship until you have to leave. We only had carry on luggage so we did not put it out the night before. If you put it out the night before you have to get off and claim it and then you can leave it in a secure area and reboard the ship.

In our case we had breakfast (served until 9:30 I think) and then stayed in the public areas until about 10 but believe they were letting passengers off around 8:30.

Taxis are waiting to take you to the airport. We were told $40 for 1 to 4 persons so if you can find others to go with you would be good. We were at the airport by about 10:30.

Jill

Because our travel needs include a personal wheelchair, we asked staff if they knew of anyone who could assist us in arranging a taxi ride to the Havana airport. We needed to be assured that, whatever the vehicle, it would accommodate everyone and everything. I believe it was a member of cleaning staff who contacted us (on the QT), reviewed our needs, arranged for a suitable car to be available at our requested time and we were met by the driver with a card bearing our name. The vehicle was ideal, was waiting for us at the main exit, at the stated time and at the fixed price. Gratuities were commensurate to great service all around.

We also had a 12:55 flight, so had no problems making the plane.

Be aware, too, that unlike the ship and Cuba, Jamaica didn't move their clocks forward last Sunday, so while the ship's time when we "definitively" disembarked (I love that ship's term!) was 9:30 am, Jamaica time was 8:30. We shared a van with 4 others to the airport and were charged $10 apiece.

Edi

Just fyi - the wifi is not available in the cabins, only in public areas. There is a router mounted on the wall between the Euro lounge and the dining room, so the signal was nice & strong there.

Edited by NextOne

Carnival Cruise Lines will launch bi-weekly voyages to Cuba in May, the company announced. It obtained permission from the Cuban government during President Barack Obama’s historic visit to the still-embargoed island nation.

Part of Carnival’s “social impact-focused” Fathom brand, the 704-passenger liner Adonia will set sail from Miami on May 1 for a seven-night trip, making calls at three Cuban ports: Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba.

Carnival Cruise Lines will launch bi-weekly voyages to Cuba in May, the company announced. It obtained permission from the Cuban government during President Barack Obama’s historic visit to the still-embargoed island nation.

Part of Carnival’s “social impact-focused” Fathom brand, the 704-passenger liner Adonia will set sail from Miami on May 1 for a seven-night trip, making calls at three Cuban ports: Havana, Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba.

Fathom does not have a connection to Carnival Cruise Lines.

Fahom is a separate cruise line set up by Carnival Corporation, which owns and runs many cruise lines, including Cunard, P&O, Princess, Holland America, Costa etc., as well as Carnival Cruise Lines. Cruises by Fathom using Adonia have been planned and on sale for several months.

Edited by tring

?1: So I am thinking about booking one of the new balconies on deck 6 for next year and leaving from Jamaica. Can someone tell me which side of the ship would be preferred as far as approach to ports and which side of the ship would then be facing port side when docked?

? 2: My husband would like to visit a tobacco farm and hopefully watch an on sight person rolling a cigar. Does anyone know if this is possible and where? I saw a ship excursion that said something about cigar factory and rum but I'm not sure that is what he is hoping for.

?3: How easy is it to get an old car taxi and book them for a tour? Price?

Thanks!