My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Recently returned from a land tour in Cuba with Collette Tours -- we were required to have medical travel insurance...thought this was a condition of our visa. Our tour guide told us that the major export of Cuba today is medical care -- to Brazil, Ecuador and Venezuela.

VidaNaPraia, for the record, when an American insurance company indicates the covered person is covered when in another country, unless the coverage specifically states that a particular company is excluded, the way it often works is the covered person must cover their own expenses and then get reimbursed by their insurance company later. Someone mentioned some credit cards will not withhold payment for medical charges in Cuba but I don't know anything about that. Medicare normally will NOT cover someone in Cuba, but certain Medicare group plan supplementary policies (often provided by a person's current or former employer) sometimes do. A supplementary, GROUP plan apparently can have different rules and coverages than regular, individual supplemental plans. At least I was told that by the insurance broker who handles the employer arranged supplemental plan I have. Just the same, Cuban medical insurance being offered to us by the cruise line is only $48 per person and certainly worth the peace of mind!

Reimbursement is a very different thing from coverage whil in Cuba.

Wise to buy the Cuban medical insurance, usually Asistur, that fulfills the Cuban government requirement. Otherwise, you'd need to be sure that the Cuban government finds what you have acceptable. Most US based plans do not.

Recently returned from a land tour in Cuba with Collette Tours -- we were required to have medical travel insurance...thought this was a condition of our visa. Our tour guide told us that the major export of Cuba today is medical care -- to Brazil, Ecuador and Venezuela.

Yes, there are quite a few Cuban doctors in Brazil now. I've been told that the Cuban government collects the salaries paid by the Brazilian government and pays the doctors their regular 30 CUC per month Cuban salary. But Braxil has minimum official salary regulations that apply to all workers with a work card, so they end up paying the doctors still another salary in compliance with that. Complicated.

If an American Insurance Company covered a passenger, would the money to reimburse the Cuban medical system be allowed out of the US and into Cuba?

So glad to have Canadian Health Insurance & a plan that covered us in Cuba.

If an American Insurance Company covered a passenger, would the money to reimburse the Cuban medical system be allowed out of the US and into Cuba?

So glad to have Canadian Health Insurance & a plan that covered us in Cuba.

No.

Simply buy the inexpensive Asistur plan to be covered.

• 2 weeks later...

To any of you Americans who have recently done this cruise, my question is about the P2P paperwork we must have.

It was my understanding we would need to fill this form out and send $95 to someone(I have forgotten who just now) in able to get the required form. While looking at celestyal's web site it is not clear to me if they provide it for us or if we still need to make this purchase on our own.

I guess I was thinking they would have a link to this, but did not see one.

Anyone know?

To any of you Americans who have recently done this cruise, my question is about the P2P paperwork we must have.

It was my understanding we would need to fill this form out and send $95 to someone(I have forgotten who just now) in able to get the required form. While looking at celestyal's web site it is not clear to me if they provide it for us or if we still need to make this purchase on our own.

Anyone know?

I can't answer about what the cruise line procedure currently is, but can outline the procedure the airlines are using for individual travelers. Maybe that will help a bit.

There are TWO requirements. One is from the Cuban government and the other is from the US government.

The Cuban government requires a PINK tourist card from those leaving from the US (seaport or airport) and going direct to Cuba.

Each airline is selling the tourist card, as is the Cuban Consulate in Washington, DC. The price varies from U$50 to U$100, depending on who is selling it (U$50 Delta, U$85 American Airlines including all, for example) and what added costs (shipping & handling) there are for some. Each airline rep/third-party-seller wants so see proof of a paid flight with their airline. Anyone can buy from the Consulate (U$70+U$25 postage iirc), but that also requires a photo and additional documentation.

The US government's OFAC may want to know which of the 12 reasons for travel to Cuba an individual is using. However, it is the airline or their third party rep (also selling the tourist card) who are retaining the form signed by the passenger. The P2P is one of the 12 reasons. (The cruise is presumably group licensed from the US government to do P2P, like the land tour groups such as Insight or Road Scholar.)

For airline passengers, the application for the Cuban tourist card and the list of checkboxes for the choice of 12 OFAC reasons have been on the same sheet of paper, further confusing some people.

So, hopefully you are clear on the two requirements and can now try to figure out how the cruise line is handling each for you, or if you should buy the tourist card on your own from the Cuban Consulate.

Anyone know?

There used to be a link, but it has been removed. The "requirement" never really was one, as I read the regulations very carefully, and I skipped making the "donation" when I went for the second time. Travelers are, at present, allowed to do completely independent travel as long as it meets p2p guidelines. I think this change (from March 2016) coincided with the removal of the "donation" form to "join the group" onboard. You are still supposed to attend the lectures and participate in the excursions (and I did), but no one on board or after was checking up on attendance.

Okay thank you! The cruise line does say they will provide a letter at the conclusion of the cruise.

I absolutely plan on attending the lectures and the included tours.

Now, I just hope Trump doesn't mess me up.

I am on this cruise on the January 20 sailing.

We had paid the people to people fee when we booked. After receiving the info that the cruise line will now be taking care of it we requested and received a refund.

When are you leaving?

Have you been getting notifications of excursions being cancelled?

As far as Trump. I'm going. LOL.

We sail on Inauguration Day.

I'm also watching and concerned about my March South America cruise leaving from Argentina. They have currently suspended the reciprocity fee for Americans. We sail March 5 and I keep checking that it doesn't get reinstated. If it does we will be scrambling for that one.

?..... cruise leaving from Argentina. They have currently suspended the reciprocity fee for Americans. We sail March 5 and I keep checking that it doesn't get reinstated. If it does we will be scrambling for that one.

No, it was all done online and printed out. No scramble, even if.

But not likely they will reinstate.

I am on this cruise on the January 20 sailing.

We had paid the people to people fee when we booked. After receiving the info that the cruise line will now be taking care of it we requested and received a refund.

When are you leaving?

Have you been getting notifications of excursions being cancelled?

As far as Trump. I'm going. LOL.

We sail on Inauguration Day.

I'm also watching and concerned about my March South America cruise leaving from Argentina. They have currently suspended the reciprocity fee for Americans. We sail March 5 and I keep checking that it doesn't get reinstated. If it does we will be scrambling for that one.

I did get a response from the cruise line telling me P2P paper work was included in the cruise fare.

We are leaving on the June 9 sailing. I have not received any info about excursion cancellations. Is this happening to you and what is being done about it?

I would love to hear about your experience once you return.

I did get a response from the cruise line telling me P2P paper work was included in the cruise fare.

We are leaving on the June 9 sailing. I have not received any info about excursion cancellations. Is this happening to you and what is being done about it?

I would love to hear about your experience once you return.

That's what we were told also about the P to P paperwork.

I'll gladly post after we return.

As far as the excursions, I had read somewhere that they seem to come on go on this cruise. We are playing it by ear. We will be in Cuba so it can't be all bad.

That's what we were told also about the P to P paperwork.

I'll gladly post after we return.

As far as the excursions, I had read somewhere that they seem to come on go on this cruise. We are playing it by ear. We will be in Cuba so it can't be all bad.

I will look forward to your report. I am flexible about the excursions but may figure out possible options. I can't wait! We were originally going in March but when dates were extended my husband wanted to go in June instead.

I will look forward to your report. I am flexible about the excursions but may figure out possible options. I can't wait! We were originally going in March but when dates were extended my husband wanted to go in June instead.

Vis-a-vis "options": Note that a P2P cruise or land tour is given their OFAC license based on providing a FULL TIME program of qualifying activities, for which you may be asked by the US government agency to produce proof for up to 5 years after the trip. Walking around on your own, even interacting with locals, does not satisfy the criteria.

Vis-a-vis "options": Note that a P2P cruise or land tour is given their OFAC license based on providing a FULL TIME program of qualifying activities, for which you may be asked by the US government agency to produce proof for up to 5 years after the trip. Walking around on your own, even interacting with locals, does not satisfy the criteria.

I am sure the requirements will be met.

I kind of fell into this trip. A high school friend had just come back and we were chatting about it at our monthly get together. Turns out another class mate knew about this group organizing this trip and I jumped in. Happens to be over ny birthday. Another item to check off my bucket list.

I kind of fell into this trip. A high school friend had just come back and we were chatting about it at our monthly get together. Turns out another class mate knew about this group organizing this trip and I jumped in. Happens to be over ny birthday. Another item to check off my bucket list.

Great way to celebrate your birthday! We have been watching this cruise for a couple years now and waiting for it to be open to US citizens. I know some people did it before they were supposed to. We considered it but just did not feel we should.

The couple going with us are fearful Trump will cause an issue for us going. I think he makes bold statements at first and then modifies. I don't think Cuba will be the first things he wants to change, if at all.

Great way to celebrate your birthday! We have been watching this cruise for a couple years now and waiting for it to be open to US citizens. I know some people did it before they were supposed to. We considered it but just did not feel we should.

The couple going with us are fearful Trump will cause an issue for us going. I think he makes bold statements at first and then modifies. I don't think Cuba will be the first things he wants to change, if at all.

As far as Trump. The way he runs his mouth I worry more about him ticking off other countries and they shut us off. That's why I'm glad we leave when we do.

As far as Trump. The way he runs his mouth I worry more about him ticking off other countries and they shut us off. That's why I'm glad we leave when we do.

Hopefully they take away is twitter account and keep him on meds to stay calm.

Just realized we will be getting on a ship while you are in Cuba. We leave from San Juan Jan 22.

Hopefully they take away is twitter account and keep him on meds to stay calm.

Just realized we will be getting on a ship while you are in Cuba. We leave from San Juan Jan 22.

Where are you heading and which line? I will get home from Cuba January 27 and we fly to Buenos Aires on March 3. We will be on Celebrity Infinity for 28 days. So excited. I get to check another thing off my list. The Panama Canal.

Where are you heading and which line? I will get home from Cuba January 27 and we fly to Buenos Aires on March 3. We will be on Celebrity Infinity for 28 days. So excited. I get to check another thing off my list. The Panama Canal.

Sounds great! We get home on the 29th. Going on RCI to St. Maartin, Barbados, St Croix, Dominica and Grenada. We have been to most of these several times. First time in Grenada and St Croix. Main reason for going is husband wants to see sperm whale in Dominica.

We are doing Panama Canal Jan. 2018 on Princess.

Sounds great! We get home on the 29th. Going on RCI to St. Maartin, Barbados, St Croix, Dominica and Grenada. We have been to most of these several times. First time in Grenada and St Croix. Main reason for going is husband wants to see sperm whale in Dominica.

We are doing Panama Canal Jan. 2018 on Princess.

Hope you get to see the whales. 🐳