My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Me too. He will be really disappointed if we don't. There is a pod of sperm whales that are at Dominica year round so he tells me. January we should see whales, if not sperm whales.

If he's a fan of whales, look into going to Baja between the end of January and end of March when the gray whales come to have their babies. You can go out in a small boat, the "friendlies" come right up to the side with their babies, and you can simply reach out and pet them.

There are 3 main areas where the whales stay, Magdalena Bay, San Ignacio, and Guererro Negro. It's possible to fly in to one of the cities, (Loreto, LaPaz) rent a car, and stay locally, or you can do a tour with a camp on the beach.

This experience was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For anyone visiting the cemetery where Fidel Castro was just buried, I assume they will change the ceremony of the soldiers to Jose Marti's grave, and would be interested in knowing if they will work Castro's grave into the same routine.

It was interesting to see the site on television, after having visited it recently.

For anyone visiting the cemetery where Fidel Castro was just buried, I assume they will change the ceremony of the soldiers to Jose Marti's grave, and would be interested in knowing if they will work Castro's grave into the same routine.

It was interesting to see the site on television, after having visited it recently.

We assume the ship tour will now include a stop at the sight. We will find out in late January if no postings before then. But I doubt there will be a changing of the guard ritual as found at Marti's grave, although there is bound to be some sort of security. Fidel's wishes were such as to prevent what he referred to as a cult of the personality. But the one word plaque on his final resting place says everything,

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Fidel%20Castro%20Tomb120416.jpg

We will be on Celebrity Infinity for 28 days. So excited. I get to check another thing off my list. The Panama Canal.

We recently returned from a fantastic Panama Canal cruise on the Celebrity Infinity. If your sailing still has Bill Fall as the Enrichment speaker, I would recommend you attend all of his lectures. They are fantastic!

Our favorite viewpoints for the crossing were the Constellation Lounge on deck 11, and the open areas on deck 4.

We pre-booked a shore excursion from Colon with My Friend Mario / Almiza, and really enjoyed and would recommend visiting the Agua Clara Expansion Locks visitor center on that tour, too!

Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone for the interesting discussion of the Cuba Cruise details. Our full payment is not due until next month for our February 2017 Cuba cruise, so I have to be patient and assume that all of my questions regarding P2P details will be answered then..:)

....all of my questions regarding P2P details will be answered then..

The cruise line has been given a license, as have land tour agencies like insight, etc, to conduct tours that conform to the OFAC P2P category. It seems that they are giving out a copy of the full time schedule of activities used to prove that each passenger fulfills the requirements of that P2P category.

OFAC has not, over many years, been asking those who travel on individual licenses to show any proof of activities, nor does that agency seem to have funding that would allow staffing up to do so. Even if they should (if things change very radically and funding is prioritized), in this case, the cruise line is the responsible party.

The OFAC P2P category is a US government regulation. Cuba does not care. To Cuba, you are a tourist, and you need a (pink if leaving directly from US cruise port or airport to Cuban cruise or air port) Cuban tourist card to enter Cuban soil.

Hope that helps to prepare you for the details the cruise line eventually gives out.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the cancellation of excursions and changes in the itinerary for Celestyal's Cuba cruise, there is a recent review under Celestyal in the "cruise line" boards. (Top of 1st pg. of those boards under "Sticky".) The cruiser cruised at the time of Fidel Castro's death, so understandably, some things didn't take place that normally would have. However, Punta Frances (the beach/snorkeling stop - Isle of Youth) could not be done. The pax were only told the day before the stop. Supposedly the Cuban govt. doesn't want ships anchoring in the area due to the coral. One person commented that this isn't unusual and the govt. there allows & disallows things on a whim w/no warning all the time. I REALLY hope this stop is reinstated before we go in 2 months or another, similar stop is added.

In addition, the reviewer (nansi) said that although the Crystal was not supposed to depart Havana until 5 p.m. the second day of it's visit to this port, it departed at 1 p.m.! I forgot if a reason was given, but the reviewer said as soon as they departed, an MSC ship arrived.

I sort of doubt we will be getting updated that much regarding these types of changes in the itineraries ahead of time, but I could be wrong.

However, Punta Frances (the beach/snorkeling stop - Isle of Youth) could not be done. The pax were only told the day before the stop. Supposedly the Cuban govt. doesn't want ships anchoring in the area due to the coral. One person commented that this isn't unusual and the govt. there allows & disallows things on a whim w/no warning all the time. I REALLY hope this stop is reinstated before we go in 2 months or another, similar stop is added.

In addition, the reviewer (nansi) said that although the Crystal was not supposed to depart Havana until 5 p.m. the second day of it's visit to this port, it departed at 1 p.m.! I forgot if a reason was given, but the reviewer said as soon as they departed, an MSC ship arrived.

Hopefully you'll get to go to Punta Frances. The beach there is incredible!

b245a0a11656e2a93fcf018085ae3b8c.jpg

Odd that they'd make an issue of the coral, but allowed a stop in Maria la Gorda (which was basically ALL coral). MSC and Celestyal have shared the terminal in Havana for a while now, so unless there was a third ship involved, they shouldn't have been the cause of the issue. I wonder how they communicated the 1pm departure to the guests? Because I was out wandering at that time and would've missed the ship!:eek:

Hopefully you'll get to go to Punta Frances. The beach there is incredible!

b245a0a11656e2a93fcf018085ae3b8c.jpg

Odd that they'd make an issue of the coral, but allowed a stop in Maria la Gorda (which was basically ALL coral). MSC and Celestyal have shared the terminal in Havana for a while now, so unless there was a third ship involved, they shouldn't have been the cause of the issue. I wonder how they communicated the 1pm departure to the guests? Because I was out wandering at that time and would've missed the ship!:eek:

We got back from this cruise on Dec. 2nd (via Montego Bay) We were told that the reason they changed from Marie la Gorda was because of the coral issue. I guess they didn't think the coral at Punta Francis was the same, so they switched to that stop. Unfortunately, the Govt put the nix on that stop as well. We were informed about this (and the new sail away time of 1pm vs 5pm) during our first evening in Havana. They announced it again the next morning and said all afternoon excursions in Havana would be cancelled. We were told that we were leaving early due to "harbor conflicts." The Fathom was also docked near us....MSC must have some pull, as they were waiting at the mouth of the harbor to take our spot. I looked at their itinerary on their website and indeed, we were both booked for the same time slot. Future dates look to be the same.

So my advice would be: leave your snorkel gear home, and plan your full day adventures on the FIRST day in Havana....just in case you get short-changed on the second day.

If you're interested, I just posted my complete review of this cruise at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=556278

We got back from this cruise on Dec. 2nd (via Montego Bay) We were told that the reason they changed from Marie la Gorda was because of the coral issue. I guess they didn't think the coral at Punta Francis was the same, so they switched to that stop. Unfortunately, the Govt put the nix on that stop as well... ]

This may bode well for a return to the port of Antillia on the north side of the island. The first two seasons included a call at this wonderful port reached via tender. We considered this small remote town to be the highlight of these cruises. They received us like royalty. Alas they pulled it from the itinerary in favour of a beach day, firstly at Punta Francis then moving it to Marie La Gorda. There are beaches to be had anywhere in Cuba. However, if coral is the call of snorkelers and the ship can no longer accommodate them, then we pray there will be a return to Antillia.

Edited by ONT-CA

Leaving this week for cruise out of Montego Bay. Wanted to make sure outlets in our cabin will accept chargers for kindle and ipads. We have adapters from earlier European travels. Should we bring?

So excited. Dream of a lifetime to go to Cuba.

Papa O & Mamom

Leaving this week for cruise out of Montego Bay. Wanted to make sure outlets in our cabin will accept chargers for kindle and ipads. We have adapters from earlier European travels. Should we bring?

Papa O & Mamom

There is one North American and one European outlet in each stateroom. The other outlets around the ship are all European (if you want to plug in in the lounge, for example), so an adapter is a great item to bring. Enjoy!

Papa O & Mamom

We brought a regular gang plug (110) so we could charge 3 things at once. Never needed an adapter in the cabin.

Papa O & Mamom

Cabins have both 110V and 220V outlets. The one in the washroom will need your European adapter if you have an electric shaver or if you wish to use a night light.

Got an email yesterday saying that Fathom is adding Santiago 9am - 6pm to our DR itinerary in May instead of the usual day at Amber Cove.

Suggestions for things to do there appreciated. Would like to listen to some music, dance if anything available in the daytime.

Thanks

Got an email yesterday saying that Fathom is adding Santiago 9am - 6pm to our DR itinerary in May instead of the usual day at Amber Cove.

Suggestions for things to do there appreciated. Would like to listen to some music, dance if anything available in the daytime.

Thanks

Inquiring minds want to know (we too are on Fathom's Adonia and were switched). We are looking for "on our own" activities.

Thank you

From the Celestyal web site

**Due to an environmental review from Cuban authorities, the stop at Punta Frances is temporarily unavailable for all sailings. During this temporary review the normal day at Punta Frances will be a day at sea. This may change at any time. Please note that we have extended the duration of our stay in Havana for the second day to 10:00 P.M. so that you can have more time to enjoy all that Havana has to offer."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

**Due to an environmental review from Cuban authorities, the stop at Punta Frances is temporarily unavailable for all sailings. During this temporary review the normal day at Punta Frances will be a day at sea. This may change at any time. Please note that we have extended the duration of our stay in Havana for the second day to 10:00 P.M. so that you can have more time to enjoy all that Havana has to offer." QUOTE]

10pm the second day sure sounds great, but I'd still be on the alert for a last minute change on the departure time. Curious what MSC's dock time looks like on your Havana dates.

10pm the second day sure sounds great, but I'd still be on the alert for a last minute change on the departure time. Curious what MSC's dock time looks like on your Havana dates.

Nancy, do you happen to remember what time we could get off the ship the first day in Havana?

Thanks in advance

Carol

Nancy, do you happen to remember what time we could get off the ship the first day in Havana?

Thanks in advance

Carol

I believe we docked just about 8am and were off the ship by 9.

**Due to an environmental review from Cuban authorities, the stop at Punta Frances is temporarily unavailable for all sailings. During this temporary review the normal day at Punta Frances will be a day at sea. This may change at any time. Please note that we have extended the duration of our stay in Havana for the second day to 10:00 P.M. so that you can have more time to enjoy all that Havana has to offer."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This would be a plus to me. We are not beach people at all.

Anyone on the cruise observe there are catholic services while aboard? Thanks.

I have reviewed my Sunday copy of the Daily News from last years cruise and can find no mention of religious services. Perhaps with the high number of Cuban employees aboard there may be some sort of Catholic service for the staff which you may be able to join. I would avoid the desk and check with one of the Cuban staff found about the ship.