My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hopefully someone will step up who has done it. We did a farm visit in conjunction with a visit to Castro's childhood home. It was a great excursion and the guide was excellent, but very little agricultural info.

I tough call!

HI all!

EmmasNiece ~ we did a tour like this from a resort west of Havana on our 1st trip to Cuba (1997) & I still think of that day.

The countryside is beautiful, so different with lots to see like the caves, the mogotes & mural. We had our lunch at a covered table in a field where a man was ploughing with an ox nearby & those potatoes, green beans & pork were so yummy! Los Jazmines is the resort we thought of going to if ever we were that way again.

On other trips (I've been to Cuba 8 times, twice on Cristal) we've visited small farms & the hosts are always so gracious & friendly.

Havana, of course, is lovely too with lots to see but I prefer the country scenery.

Have a great time whatever you choose to do.

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all!

EmmasNiece ~ we did a tour like this from a resort west of Havana on our 1st trip to Cuba (1997) & I still think of that day.

The countryside is beautiful, so different with lots to see like the caves, the mogotes & mural. We had our lunch at a covered table in a field where a man was ploughing with an ox nearby & those potatoes, green beans & pork were so yummy! Los Jazmines is the resort we thought of going to if ever we were that way again.

On other trips (I've been to Cuba 8 times, twice on Cristal) we've visited small farms & the hosts are always so gracious & friendly.

Havana, of course, is lovely too with lots to see but I prefer the country scenery.

Have a great time whatever you choose to do.

~ Jo ~ :)

Wow, my hubby just about fell over when I read this to him. He wants to have lunch in the field and said he would pay the guy with ox $50 to plough for a little bit. He worked on his Grandfather's farm every summer when he was a kid and I guess it is just in his blood.

Unfortunately this would not be what we would do for lunch. It sounds like it is a restaurant.

I am hoping if someone takes this tour they will review it. Also curious to know what is being charged for this excursion to the Vinales area.

Well, EmmasNana, you have just written an excellent justification for taking a land based visit to Cuba. Traveling at your own speed and staying in little towns, with time and opportunity, your husband might be able to encounter Cubans interested in how his childhood was similar to rural life in Cuba, able and willing to show him around.

However, in going about you vacation activities, please be aware of your relative affluence and try not to flaunt your (comparatively) extreme wealth, offering someone, who probably earns $25 per month max, a huge sum to "dance for your pleasure". Cubans are proud people, whatever their station in life.

Well, EmmasNana, you have just written an excellent justification for taking a land based visit to Cuba. Traveling at your own speed and staying in little towns, with time and opportunity, your husband might be able to encounter Cubans interested in how his childhood was similar to rural life in Cuba, able and willing to show him around.

However, in going about you vacation activities, please be aware of your relative affluence and try not to flaunt your (comparatively) extreme wealth, offering someone, who probably earns $25 per month max, a huge sum to "dance for your pleasure". Cubans are proud people, whatever their station in life.

Thank you, I appreciate your response.

We have discussed doing a land vacation in Cuba at a later point. Once we do this initial cruise we shall see what happens for us next.

I'm doing a land based tour after the cruise which includes two nights in Vinales. As part of the tour we are visiting an organic farm and having dinner at the farmhouse watching the sun set over the valley. It doesn't list the name of the farm though.

You could book a private tour - TaxisVinales apparently has a good reputation and they do tours to Vinales

http://www.taxivinalescuba.com/?secc=tours&lang=english

Or, just relax and wait until you go back and see more :)

Yes, Vinales is a lovely area. At lunch time, our guide pulled up to what looked like a fairly dumpy house. We walked around to the back and sat on a lovely patio with a magnificent view of the mogotes. Our excellent lobster lunch with pina colada cost $10 PP. With all our car problems, that was an unusual and most memorable day.

That was also the day I rode Tomas, the huge bull, with no one leading us. LOL I am so glad DH took a video. :)

Sounds wonderful! What a great memory!

I'm doing a land based tour after the cruise which includes two nights in Vinales. As part of the tour we are visiting an organic farm and having dinner at the farmhouse watching the sun set over the valley. It doesn't list the name of the farm though.

You could book a private tour - TaxisVinales apparently has a good reputation and they do tours to Vinales

http://www.taxivinalescuba.com/?secc=tours&lang=english

Or, just relax and wait until you go back and see more :)

I would love to hear about it when you get back.

Having concluded our second week of the “2016 Cuba Cruise” we wanted to answer a question or two and give a summation. Firstly the food has improved notably. Over the four years we have been passengers aboard the Crystal, food quality has always been a sore point. But I think they finally might have it right. Slightly less of a selection, which was always too ambitious, but all facets of food variables are well covered and many to our liking.

No… balconies do not have lounge furniture. Even the larger balconies fitted with three sturdy and surprisingly comfortable chairs in addition to a small table would be pressed to accommodate anything further, if for no other reason than safety.

As to our decision in booking a SB in lieu of the SI, we made the right choice. Although the balcony is only 20% the size of the SI private deck, the balcony allowed us to see not only the water but the wild life and the sun sets but also to see and feel the motion of the ship which more than made up for the loss of space.

Dress code continues to evade any comprehension, the daily printed schedule stating; “Guests are reminded that wearing tops, short trousers, flip flops and swimwear is not permitted in the restaurants” The concern, we think, being dinner rather than lunch but there is little if any enforcement at either, and we have seen a myriad of contraventions... The Captain’s Party advertised as “Elegant” brought forth a variety of dress interpretations. Most took the occasion to do a little something special, several even dressing in Kilts but ultimately one wears whatever one wishes.

Our first ever need for personal use of a ship’s medical facility occurred, which was most professional with the facilities well equipped to solve the problem. It brought home the realization and relief that we were indeed covered by appropriate insurance.

Staff: Well, fortunately they were all still there and, as always, fun, helpful and terrific. What’s more to say?

The beverage & bar fiasco was our worst experience. From the originating cruise when one ordered and paid for an alcohol beverage, the system degenerated into packages whereby one could have either a soft drink package or an alcohol package. But no cabin could have one of each, identical packages being mandatory. But one could have a soft drink package but continue to purchase alcohol drinks. Cruise fares now make beverage selection obligatory and therefore for an imbiber, his or her cabin mate must also have to purchase the same package even unnecessarily. And the packages are not inexpensive. Enter bar manager “Petty Officer Temperance” who obviously must for whatever reason disapprove of the idea of anyone consuming alcohol at all. He had instituted a system whereby only one waitress was assigned to a room of say 50 people. A lot of good your paid-up alcohol package card does you in this environment. Not content, he has further implemented a measuring system for brand pouring, expressed in minuscule centilitres, resulting in your presented cocktail looking, well, almost finished. We wonder what is done with all the alcohol saved in all this. Even ice was rationed and a cocktail napkin was made available only upon request. Purchased at $7.45 U.S. per drink, this following measure of a Manhattan as presented to us is, in our thinking, somewhat wanting.

32613422642_1c7d77e67e.jpg

More? You want more? One cannot order a double nor order a second from your package until either you finish the first or, a computer clock says you may now do so. You could pay for a double in order to have a decent drink but the day has yet to come where I will pay $ 15.00 for a simple Manhattan. There now being no bar charge whereby you sign a chit, this opportunity to offer a gratuity has been removed. I bet staff just love this system. Truthfully the current system is not only insulting to the customer but one most embarrassing to the bartenders and serving staff, many of whom have expressed much dismay. In all, the most inhospitable system ever experienced aboard any of the many cruise lines we have utilized. When one realizes that ships obtain their alcohol brands totally free of duty and tax, their costs per serving is measured in but pennies. If Celestyal is interested in obtaining new and repeat customers by word of mouth, this silly and mean spirited system is achieving just the opposite from what we are hearing from customers in the bar.

The passenger list is mixed with Europeans and Americans. The Canadian contingent is all but now gone due to the new and higher fares being priced in U.S. dollar. And from what we are told by staff, the very low passenger count is not only less than that of the previous year, but one which could not possibly support the proposed larger ship being considered for this itinerary let alone maintaining the Crystal. Obviously the required number of Americans have not as yet been ‘forthcoming’ for whatever reason. And finally the rumour mill puts the Crystal at dock on the coast of Florida for the summer months to be used as a floating hotel.

Thank you so much for your update! I am wondering if this will be your last cruise with them?The bar situation certainly sounds disappointing. Are we able to purchase a bottle of wine to take to our balcony?

I do have a question for you or one of the original posters on this thread involving the Cuban shirts. Some of you purchased a shirt ( I don't recall what they were called) and wore them on the cruise. I was thinking of getting one for my husband. Does anyone wear them? Are they long or short sleeved? What color would be appropriate? What type of pants/slacks would be worn with this type shirt and is it more appropriate for the "formal" night or better for casual?

It is a shame that for whatever reason, religious or otherwise, a bar manager should create such unpleasantries for the passengers. We would certainly make sure the policy is no longer in practiced before venturing aboard again. There is no obstacle to taking your favourite beverages aboard to enjoy in private as we did as you have already prepaid your bar bill so to speak.

The shirt is called "guayabera", and is very comfortable and practical with it's four pockets. My stature prompted me to also purchase one in black but as some of the Cuban staff commented, they had never seen one in black before, so I would avoid that. Light pastel colours abound both long sleeve and short, the latter more predominate in the climate. Worn with a pair of plain dark slacks, it is considered both complimentary to the culture and very dressy. We saw them at the Captain's party and consider them meeting the dress call for "elegant".

It is a shame that for whatever reason, religious or otherwise, a bar manager should create such unpleasantries for the passengers. We would certainly make sure the policy is no longer in practiced before venturing aboard again. There is no obstacle to taking your favourite beverages aboard to enjoy in private as we did as you have already prepaid your bar bill so to speak.

The shirt is called "guayabera", and is very comfortable and practical with it's four pockets. My stature prompted me to also purchase one in black but as some of the Cuban staff commented, they had never seen one in black before, so I would avoid that. Light pastel colours abound both long sleeve and short, the latter more predominate in the climate. Worn with a pair of plain dark slacks, it is considered both complimentary to the culture and very dressy. We saw them at the Captain's party and consider them meeting the dress call for "elegant".

Thank you so much! I may bring on some wine or a bottle of something if they are not going to take it away from me.

I will be off to search for one of these shirts for hubby.

Thanks again!

Just back from the Montego Bay embarkation . The commentary on the drink control didn't quite align with our experience. We both had the liquor package and at dinner, the wine steward was great and was killing our glasses when they weren't yet empty. We also had some punch drinks and a new glass was voluntarily to be offered when the old one was empty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from the Montego Bay embarkation . The commentary on the drink control didn't quite align with our experience. We both had the liquor package and at dinner, the wine steward was great and was killing our glasses when they weren't yet empty. We also had some punch drinks and a new glass was voluntarily to be offered when the old one was empty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the info on the drink issue.

Do you know if there is wine available at the buffet?

The drink package you had is that the included Blue package?

Are you able to go to one of the bars and get a margarita or bottle of water and take to your room to have on the balcony?

Granted, wine impolitely referred to as "plunk" certainly did flow in the dining room (especially in observing bottles being refilled...) but the electronic zapping of cruise cards did lend a accountant's inquisitiveness as to the number of drinks consumed. However my point pertained to the cocktail lounge where when purchasing a drink for full chargeable price, the outturn was so miserly that no bar business on land would survive with such short pouring practices at such a price.

... However my point pertained to the cocktail lounge where when purchasing a drink for full chargeable price, the outturn was so miserly that no bar business on land would survive with such short pouring practices at such a price.

In a more humorous vien, when we first entered the cocktail lounge on this most recent sailing, having been aboard eight previous occasions, our standard order for drinks was placed in the now uncustomary manner that would signal the bar staff that we were once again aboard. Our drinks were prepared in the acceptable manner of that of all previous sailings.

The following evening we again placed our standard order but received that shown in the photo of our previous posting. We immediately ask to see the bar manager. He arrived to support his contention that this rationed thing before me was indeed his ordained measure. Without forethought I contradicted him in saying that I had received a properly prepared and customary Manhattan the previous evening. With the glazed stare of Capt. Queeg of "Caine Mutiny" fame but minus the two steel balls, he headed to the bar where a loud verbal confrontation occurred. We feared cat-tail lashings might be administered to the bar staff. No mention of Strawberries... We of course did not nor could not win this drink battle and they in turn could no longer win our patronage.

Thanks for the info on the drink issue.

Do you know if there is wine available at the buffet?

The drink package you had is that the included Blue package?

Are you able to go to one of the bars and get a margarita or bottle of water and take to your room to have on the balcony?

There is wine (and a full bar) available in the buffet, with servers available inside and out by the pool.

Even though we upgraded, I can attest that those on the blue package did have their wine glasses quickly filled in the MDR.

You can definitely take anything back to your room. When getting bottled water, you can actually be served two bottles. Sometimes they offered two, sometimes we asked for two. Handy the night before an excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

ONT-CA or anyone else who was in a SB. An SB has opened up for my sailing for about $200 cheaper than what I paid for my JSB. It is under the theater and so I am wondering if this was an issue for anyone. Also, do you know if the balcony is larger than those in the Junior suite balconies and what about the stateroom size. The stateroom in question is 7002.

Thanks you.

Edited by EmmasNana