My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Thanks for the info!

I have read about something called a ship account? like things being charged to it during the cruise... ? What is this? LOL. I am so not up on anything, I am such a newbie!! thanks again everyone!

When you board you must present a personal credit card that is to be used for final payment of any and all your purchases. They in turn will then issue each of you with a plastic ID card which acts as your cabin door key, your pass to go ashore and your pass to reboard the ship. Keep this safely with you. While aboard, in lieu of cash the card then become a ship credit card for drinks, souvenirs or anything else that one can purchase. When you present your card at say the bar, you will be given a charge form to sign. At any time during the cruise you can go to the front desk and request a print-out of your account so you know where you stand financially. At the end of the cruise your personal credit card will be charged with the total of all your expenditures, you keeping the ID card as a souvenir .

Just that. Anyone on the same trip ? I did as much homework as I could do and bought it. We have cruised the Caribbean many many times and were looking for something different. I think we found it. It would be great fun to chat about the cruise and hookup with anyone on the same cruise. Thanks. Email or post.

Well p598738, "different" is what you have found. That is why we are returning this year. If nothing else the total absence of the likes of Diamonds International on every corner is a breath of fresh air. I think you will find that you have to get the hang of obtaining tours, guides and the like for I believe large groups of tourist arriving all at once at these ports is new to the locals. But that too is part of the "difference" in not be harassed. Many seasoned Caribbean passengers have told us that it is like going back to the style of cruising now long gone.

I'd like to start a roll call for the ship and allow voyagers to post their dates and comments. One does not exist. I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone advise ? Thanks.

Also, it seems that all the high category cabins are sold out for February. Looks like a popular ship.

Edited by p598738

About the time you are boarding, you will likely hear a huge commotion going on at the bow of the ship. There will be a large number of crew members attempting to pry open the fingers of a certain woman unwilling to leave The hot tub on her beautiful SI balcony. Ignore the blood stains. She will put up a good fight.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

... Also, it seems that all the high category cabins are sold out for February. Looks like a popular ship.

We concluded our 2013-14 Cuba cruse in February and we booked the 2014-15 season as soon as we got home. We imagine that everyone involved with Cubacruise wishes they had more "high category" cabins available for the few that they do have are in high demand. But that is the nature of the ship and why we booked the Louis Cristal cruise from Athens to Cuba this November-December as soon as it became available.

The ship is the perfect size for us and one that could easily be accommodated in ports like Montreal for example. Now there is a cruise departure point that would draw interest.

About the time you are boarding, you will likely hear a huge commotion going on at the bow of the ship. There will be a large number of crew members attempting to pry open the fingers of a certain woman unwilling to leave The hot tub on her beautiful SI balcony. Ignore the blood stains. She will put up a good fight.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

Sorry, my Comment, of course, was for Out-CA who will be taking over our cabin once they are able to extract me.

Perhaps They would Consider letting us Sub-let the deck?

All inappropriate capitaI letters are the fault of my Smart phone and my atrocious hand writing with which the phone seems to have problems.

M-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

about the time you are boarding, you will likely hear a huge commotion going on at the bow of the ship. There will be a large number of crew members attempting to pry open the fingers of a certain woman unwilling to leave the hot tub on her beautiful si balcony. Ignore the blood stains. She will put up a good fight.

That is so funny but well understood....

Edited by ONT-CA

For all those who have the SI booking be sure that you and your guests plan on being out on your deck for the arrival at any of the ports, for what a unique view. But especially the narrow straights entering the harbour of Cienfuegos. Magnificent. And because departure is after dark and as you are not to illuminate your deck, be out there to see the blanket of stars above. They almost compete with the searchlight fitted at the bow of the ship that assists the pilot in taking her out of the harour, illuminating along the way the small boats of night fishermen who wave their farewells. That was when we most appreciated this unique deck.

Hi to Jo and to Burm. I found this thread last evening and have just now finished reading the entire 52 pages. I post on another thread with these two informative and wonderful ladies. It was there that I first heard about this cruise when Jo booked it for this past winter. DH and I are the only Canucks we know that have not been to Cuba. So when I read some of the post to him, he was all for booking it right away. Unfortunately, we have already booked a 3 month stay in the southern US and because we had to cancel it last year due to health problems, and the lady who owns the condo was so accommodating, I will not leave her hanging this year. We can only hope that the same arrangements can be made in March '16. I feel that I already know so many of you and want to thank you all for the information I have been able to glean from the posts. We have dome many cruises ,but like so many of you, we enjoy the smaller ships so much. The pictures of the Louis Cristal are stunning and I really, really want to sail on her. DH and I love TA's and would seriously think about booking this November, but we will be cruising to Bermuda and then plan a driving tour through Virginia, North and South Carolina and Georgia. Many of the places have already been booked and paid for, so there is another lost opportunity. I will keep my eyes peeled for the ship's return to Athens in the spring. And as soon as there is an announcement regarding bookings for 2016, I will be ready to pounce. Meanwhile I can while away the time by getting a handle on booking air to/from Havana, B2B cruises, extra days before/after, flights to Montego Bay from Ottawa or Montreal, people to cruise with us, excursions,etc. right now we are living in Bancroft ( south of Algonquin Park) but will likely relocate to Kingston or Ottawa if we can sell our house. I intend to check this site every couple of days to add to my extensive list of tips that you guys have provided. Thank you.

Nikki

Hi all!

Ron ~ cute little place on your deck for burm.:D

wu687 ~ see you over on the other thread as DH & I are leaving from Montego Bay on the 20th too.

Nikki ~ nice to see you here! Too bad it's not going to work out for you soon, especially the TA which sounds like a great one if you like them (you do, I don't);) I'm even wondering how I'm going to like having 7 sea days out of 14 on my next cruise.:o

Today after our sister Church's 138 th Anniversary service I was talking to a couple about the cruise & they seemed interested. I'm always talking it up but who knows if it'll amount to anything.

Have a great week.

~ Jo ~:)

Hi, Nikki. Nice to see you here.

DH and I have never been to Cuba either. It is Jo who has led me astray and convinced me to book this cruise. After all my research lately I have come to the conclusion that if the cruise were for some reason cancelled, and I don't think that fear is as strong this year, as we already have our flights we would just go and still have a fabulous land vacation.

I have been checking out Casas Particulares in various locations around the island, and there are many that sound absolutely delightful. As DH has already said - we'll just have to go back.

Hi all!

Ron ~ cute little place on your deck for burm.:D

wu687 ~ see you over on the other thread as DH & I are leaving from Montego Bay on the 20th too.

Nikki ~ nice to see you here! Too bad it's not going to work out for you soon, especially the TA which sounds like a great one if you like them (you do, I don't);) I'm even wondering how I'm going to like having 7 sea days out of 14 on my next cruise.:o

Today after our sister Church's 138 th Anniversary service I was talking to a couple about the cruise & they seemed interested. I'm always talking it up but who knows if it'll amount to anything.

Have a great week.

~ Jo ~:)

Hello Jo

We board the ship in Montego Bay 23rd January. We depart from Victoria on 2oth January, via Seattle, Atlanta and then arrive in Montego Bay on 21st. Staying two nights at Cazwin Villa in Montego Bay.

Gary

Hi all!

wu687 ~ oopsie, I'm obviously confused! Sorry about that I should have directed my comment to p598738.:o

When checking on the Cuba cruise website today I see that the cruise from Montego Bay on Feb 20 still has 81 cabins available. The one over Valentine's Day only has 60. Tomorrow's the last day for the 15% discount so I wonder what's coming next.

Have a great week.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi! Ive read fee last pages and do not find any reports from the past passengers about this cruise. Ive been cruising over a twenty times, byt for ke is most scarying to go to this cruise with children, do not see nothing when going ashore independently, or spend and high as abmornal price, like 268 euros per person for one ride from holgun to paraduse island.

We are 2 adults and 1 child 5 years old.

Do we find what we seeking for? Little bit historu, but snorkelz ,and nature.et.c.

Hi! Ive read fee last pages and do not find any reports from the past passengers about this cruise. Ive been cruising over a twenty times, byt for ke is most scarying to go to this cruise with children, do not see nothing when going ashore independently, or spend and high as abmornal price, like 268 euros per person for one ride from holgun to paraduse island.

We are 2 adults and 1 child 5 years old.

Do we find what we seeking for? Little bit historu, but snorkelz ,and nature.et.c.

We can appreciate your concerns but you must remember that this CubaCruise tour has only had one season. However throughout the 50+ pages of entries in CC covering this cruise there is a wealth of information. But it may also help you if you were to visit this site where the author gave a review of his adventures of the week for each of the 7 days;

http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2014/02/19/cuba-cruise-return-another-season/

Hope this helps

PS See also; http://www.fromthedeckchair.com/2014/01/ for his daily reports.

Edited by ONT-CA

Yes, I already read it but its not enough. Is this true that noone from this thread not sail on this cruise on 2013/2014 season?

i try to decide to sail or not to sail and for me is the most important question is - is it possible to spend a time without getting an excurcion on the beach with our 5 year baby, just like we do it in any other cruise port. Im afraid that i cannot going anywhere without an excursion, which is quite expensive and do not worth it at all cause of ist incredibly terrible quality/price combination. For example I read that in Holgun Paradise Island excursion cost 268 euro per person! I can sail whole week on other carribean cruise for this mooney, so its just ridiculous!

HI all!

p598738 ~ DH & I sailed on Cristal from Montego Bay around Cuba Jan 31/14 & are going again but in Feb this time. I'd love to do it in Greece but that's probably not going to happen.:(

korzh.yury ~ sure you can do the cruise without taking any excursions, my husband pretty much did except for going to Tropicana. I only remember 2 children on our cruise & they were probably 6 & 8.

The Isle of Youth is a fantastic beach day. I'd say all of the stops have things to see & do within walking distance of the port.

Here's another thread where you can get some info:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k6487342-o90-New_Way_to_Cruise_to_Cuba-Cuba.htm

Adam Coulter from Cruise Critic UK also wrote a review as he was on the same cruise as me. Try Googling his name.

Hope this helps.

~ Jo ~ :)

Yes, I already read it but its not enough. Is this true that noone from this thread not sail on this cruise on 2013/2014 season?

i try to decide to sail or not to sail and for me is the most important question is - is it possible to spend a time without getting an excurcion on the beach with our 5 year baby, just like we do it in any other cruise port. Im afraid that i cannot going anywhere without an excursion, which is quite expensive and do not worth it at all cause of ist incredibly terrible quality/price combination. For example I read that in Holgun Paradise Island excursion cost 268 euro per person! I can sail whole week on other carribean cruise for this mooney, so its just ridiculous!

At no time is any passenger compelled to take any excursion at any port on this cruise. Many passengers on our last cruise did not, choosing instead to take local taxi's or pedicabs or just walk about.

I am unable to find any posted costs that even come close to 268 euros per person. Any taxi we had taken in Cuba never exceed a cost of 25 COC's (18 euros) The most expensive excursion I have been able to find is;Paradise Island ($149 Adult / $136 Children) – a catamaran sail to Paradise Island with a buffet lunch on the beach and snorkeling excursions. I believe this equates to about 100 euros.

In all my 36 cruises on five cruise lines have I ever seen a more economical cruise offer.