My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

DH wears jeans a LOT so I think he probably wore them to the DR as it was pretty casual. I wear them on the plane along with a jacket.

Do you think that will change when the regular dining room is open? Last year was a bit of a unique situation.

We always wear Tilley pants in port and on the plane for the sake of the secret and picket proof pockets. ;) I love Tilley! Their pants are expensive but virtually indestructible. I wore a couple of pairs regularly for 20 years before I outgrew them. :p I still have them, just in case....... They must have been washed far more than 100 times and still look like new. :p

I have to agree with burm in what we think should be the dress code in the Cristal's dining rooms. Nothing Formal but cruise casual. The daily bulletins call for "casual" but I guess there are as many interpretations of that word as there are passengers. However, they should draw the line somewhere and when two passengers were being seated for dinner last season wearing short shorts, t-shirts and flip flops I had to say something to the table captain. He was embarrassed but when the inaugural sailings were at but 30% capacity, that is not the best time to enforce dress codes. As it appears that there might be capacity bookings this upcoming season we hope to see some sort of minimum standard, accepting the fact that in no way could we equate the Cristal's raison d'être to that of those major humongous floating hotels.

Thank you all so much for your responses ! As I (and the DH) have ever been on a cruise, we have NO IDEA what is proper clothing. As we both love to dress up, I will make sure he packs nice shirts and pants for dinner ! I actually have a "Sailor" Themed dress for pretty much every night, as I tend to go overboard with my outfits, but I figure thats the fun of things.

Also, him being Jamaican, means if it drops below like 25 degrees at night, hes in a hoodie and jeans to keep warm, so I just want to make sure he packs well.. as hes a boy and if he had his way would live in swim shorts and a tank.

I am also packing for 10 days in Jamaica before we even leave for the cruise, as well as the two days after. And we are going to be staying in Mobay after getting back from the cruise and not going to spend the final days back at his house.

And someone mentioned that I will have fun in NYC. I have actually been there quite a few times, but never to see the lights so I am quite excited to see it in all its Christmas Glory!

only 77 more days till my cruise and 68 till I get to finally tell the DH about it!

Thank you all so much for your responses ! As I (and the DH) have ever been on a cruise, we have NO IDEA what is proper clothing. As we both love to dress up, I will make sure he packs nice shirts and pants for dinner ! I actually have a "Sailor" Themed dress for pretty much every night, as I tend to go overboard with my outfits, but I figure thats the fun of things.

Yes, it is part of the fun. I think that once you are onboard the ship, though, you will wonder why you worried so much about clothes. Just think "smart casual".

I have no idea what "Smart Casual" translates too in my mind. In warm weather, im either in a Bikini and jean shorts, or some sort of cute dress. Theres not a middle ground for me.

And its not that I worry about clothing. I am technically packing for 2 trips in one plus New Years, and I am going to overpack anyway.. So I was more so wondering weather more then clothing.

I also have NO idea what Tilly Pants are, and I KNOW the DH wouldnt. haha.

Also, what is the average age of people? I am beginning to think me and the hubby are in the minority being in our 20s and going on this cruise? Are we going to be the youngest people at our dinner table every night? Does the club on the ship get busy in the evenings? like for dancing and drinking and stuff?

I have no idea what "Smart Casual" translates too in my mind. In warm weather, im either in a Bikini and jean shorts, or some sort of cute dress. Theres not a middle ground for me.

And its not that I worry about clothing. I am technically packing for 2 trips in one plus New Years, and I am going to overpack anyway.. So I was more so wondering weather more then clothing.

I also have NO idea what Tilly Pants are, and I KNOW the DH wouldnt. haha.

Also, what is the average age of people? I am beginning to think me and the hubby are in the minority being in our 20s and going on this cruise? Are we going to be the youngest people at our dinner table every night? Does the club on the ship get busy in the evenings? like for dancing and drinking and stuff?

Your cute dresses (with a shawl, just in case) will be perfect for evenings on the ship.

Tilley is a Canadian company that makes travel and adventure clothing. Some of their materials come with a lifetime guaranty. It is designed for durability, easy care, and easy packing. It is not the epitome of high fashion, but you can travel all around the world with a minimum of clothing articles in simple, classic lines that will take you anywhere. I am quite certain that it would not be your style. :D

I will let someone else answer the average age question, but for your next cruise you might want to consider Carnival or RCCL.

I will let someone else answer the average age question, but for your next cruise you might want to consider Carnival or RCCL.

Sorry if that came out wrong. I think you will love this cruise, but I think that Carnival and RCCL have a lot to offer young couples like yourselves. it is fun to try different lines and see which suits you best. Our favourite is Oceania, so far, but our young adult children would be bored stiff on it.

Hi all!

Ron ~ that is something I wouldn't want to see in the MDR either!:eek:

zebraprinstky ~ do you live in Ontario?

I didn't see any people your age on the ship on my cruise but that really doesn't mean much. Some older folk act much younger than they are!;)

burm has a good point that if you do enjoy this cruise try Carnival or RCL next time as they are more fun/lively! This cruise is more for the ports IMO not the ship altho' it is a cute little one.

I just discovered Carnival & love it & RCL is fun too.

I can hardly wait 'til you tell DH the surprise & go on your cruise. I sure hope you'll come back after & let us know how it was.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks everyone !

And yah, I booked us this cruise as the DH still does live in Jamaica, altho we are waiting on his immigration status. So we needed something that he could go on, and since it departs from Jamaica and he does not need a special visa for Cuba, it was pretty much my only option for booking him a cruise and getting us on a boat for now.

I was also on a budget as we did just get married this year, and I booked this as his christmas gift, and I am so thankful for my best friend who is a agent to get us the best room she could for my budget.

I dont mind being in the "younger" group on the ship, I just don't want to be at a table at dinner and everyone not even talk to us because we are, or go to the club place at night and have zero people in there.

I know either way we are going to have an amazing time, as it is the first time ever we will be leaving Jamaica together, and at the end of the day, the trip is for us. We can make our own fun if we have too, I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Do Jamaicans go on this cruise? or was it JUST Canadians?

I dont mind being in the "younger" group on the ship, I just don't want to be at a table at dinner and everyone not even talk to us because we are, or go to the club place at night and have zero people in there.

You will not have to worry about people not talking to you at the dinner table. One of the nice things about cruising is that you meet all sorts of interesting people with whom you would never come into contact otherwise. There is always something to talk about because you are sharing a common, enjoyable experience. From cruise talk the conversations can go in all directions, if you are so inclined.

Yes, zebraprintsky, there were Jamaicans on the last two rotations that we were on, more the second than the first and I am sure that will improve. Must be nice having a cruise leave from just about your font door rather than have to fly all the way to get it. Like most of the the passengers the Jamaicans were not youngsters but not old fogies like us. As a result I cannot tell you about the late evening entertainmenzzzzzzz.;)

HI all!

zebraprintsky ~ good attitude you have. No worries about people not talking to you unless of course they can't. There were a lot of different nationalities on our cruise. I know there were a lot of Scandinavians who I tried to avoid at breakfast as I don't like the smell of herring early in the day, if at all!;)

I only remember one Jamaican couple that I met & they were older. Of course there could have been more just I didn't meet them.

Ron ~ I don't know anything about late nights on the ship either.

After the show I was a goner.

Thank You all for all the info !

I am such a cruise newbie so I really have no idea what to expect, But I am SO excited none the less. I think the DH will just be so excited to be on a ship, that he is going to be running around like a crazy man trying to take it all in. We are both super outgoing, but when he is in a group he can be shy which I personally think is adorable. When we go stay on all- inclusive I don't think he ever gets past feeling like a "local" and never fully chills out, and I hope on this cruise he can finally feel like a "tourist", if that makes any sense?

Does anyone know if you can book a night at the Steakhouse before the cruise starts? or do you have to do that once you are on the ship?? I think I would like to do it the 1st night as a treat for the DH and a good kick off to the cruise. Fancy restaurants are something he is totally not used to and I know seeing the meats and such presented like that at the table will pretty much blow him away.

... Does anyone know if you can book a night at the Steakhouse before the cruise starts? or do you have to do that once you are on the ship?? I think I would like to do it the 1st night as a treat for the DH and a good kick off to the cruise. Fancy restaurants are something he is totally not used to and I know seeing the meats and such presented like that at the table will pretty much blow him away.

I would suggest you hold off the "special" evening dinner. Get to know the dining room routine, the food selections and meet your table mates. Then perhaps a few days later the "special" dinner will no doubt be that more awesome. From our experience I don't think you will need too much advance booking time as the extra charge held most passengers away. Perhaps make the reservation secret and let that be a further surprise for him. I would also suggest you tell someone at your table, in confidence of course, that you will not be dining with them that night so no one will mistakenly wait for your arrival before ordering.

Edited by ONT-CA

I would suggest you hold off the "special" evening dinner. Get to know the dining room routine, the food selections and meet your table mates. Then perhaps a few days later the "special" dinner will no doubt be that more awesome. From our experience I don't think you will need too much advance booking time as the extra charge held most passengers away. Perhaps make the reservation secret and let that be a further surprise for him. I would also suggest you tell someone at your table, in confidence of course, that you will not be dining with them that night so no one will mistakenly wait for your arrival before ordering.

I will do that then Thank you.

I just dont want to do it on a day we have excursions planned becuase I dont want to worry about being back on the ship and having to shower and get ready for a fancy dinner etc etc. Maybe on the Day after Havana when we are at sea for the full day I will do it.

Maybe on the Day after Havana when we are at sea for the full day I will do it.

Great idea but in which case I would get your reservation in as soon a you can after boarding for if any evening, that might be a busier one for that restaurant for that very reason .

Hi all!

zebraprintsky ~ I second ONT-CA's info. I've made the mistake on this cruise & another to do the special steakhouse the 1st night & it really casts a pall over the other meals. Don't start with the best as it diminishes the rest.

The price is $39 per person for the steak house.

There was only 2 other couples there when we did it & I don't remember it being busy any night we passed by it.

Have a great week.

Like other cruise lines the special dinner is all about "ooo la la" but to our tastes this one was not worth the extra charge. But that was THAT night for who knows how it all went wrong? Other nights might have been great. Like anything, all life is a gamble. And if you don't roll the dice you have no chance of winning...

Let's see, 39 CAD times 2 is 78 CAD. $71 US more or less. One might consider the availability of the no charge dinner but I won't. One might make the same comparison to eating at home. If the food and the service is good or great it's not a bad deal. Maybe $100 US with drinks ? BTW, are tips added to the drink prices ala the big ships which usually add 15% ? Thanks.

Hi all!

Paul ~ I don't think there was an additional gratuity added to drinks but am not sure.

I just looked at my statement & there was amounts like $3.95, $4.95, $6.95 but then I could have added $1 as that's what I sometimes do according to how far they have to bring the drink & how generous I'm feeling.;) With our little free drink package this time there should be almost no bar bill!

burm ~ I see your sailing only has 62 cabins available against my 79.

Last Jan 3 there was 87 cabins available on our cruise (Jan 31) & the same amount for Feb 14.

Have a great week. Looks like we're getting a warm but rainy day here

tomorrow.