My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

HI again!

burm ~ hope this answer is quick enough for your degree of urgency!;)

I don't remember any lobster night but do believe lobster was an option in the Prime Steakhouse.

Ciao.

~ Jo ~ :)

I am glad that you appreciated the gravity of my question. Unfortunately, that was the wrong answer. We seldom eat at the specialty restaurants. :(

HI all!

burm ~ haha! Can you believe the ship I'll be on next week will have no lobster in the MDR? Do you think my insurance will cover if I cancel?!:rolleyes:

zebraprintsky ~ has your DH mentionned anything about the chikungunya

mosquito situation in Jamaica? I'm going to the Blue Hole soon & am thinking I'll need protection as mosquitoes love me.

Have a good one! Hope there's no white stuff on the ground anywhere you are.

burm ~ haha! Can you believe the ship I'll be on next week will have no lobster in the MDR? Do you think my insurance will cover if I cancel?!:rolleyes:

LOL. Do you have the elite policy? I believe that covers it.

Hi everyone. I was so surprised to see this roll call still going after so long. I am also surprised to see so many of my planning buddies from a year ago. Well, I just booked flights for my trip back to Cuba and CubaCruise. This time I'll will be travelling with my sister instead of my husband. Its her first time to Cuba. On board January 26 - Feb 2. We haven't decided on a cabin yet but will be doing that very soon. Anyone on the Roll Call on board for that week? I am so looking forward to chatting with everyone over the next couple of months :D

Hello Liz54

Glad to meet you. I hope we will be able to share some ideas and meet in person once on board. I see you are from Ottawa. I have visited there a couple of times. My sister and I will be coming from Kelowna area of BC. We are flying into Varadero for a few days and then will make our way to Havana to board the ship. Very excited to be going back to Cuba. It is an amazing country and sailing on the Louis Crystal is the perfect way to see it.:)

HI all!

Where you all hiding? Seems like ages since anyone but me posted (altho' it was only a few days ago!).;)

Ron ~ when do you leave for your lovely/lengthy TA please? Happy Hallowe'en & have a nice weekend.~ Jo ~ :)

Jo, so many things to deal with in preparation for the cruise. Have to have the place in good order for the full month we will be away, arranging snow removal and the like.

We now have the tours available for the ports of call and a nice selection too. We have to keep it low key as far as walking and they seem to have accomplished that in their offers. We leave on November 25th for London with Air Transat with whom we obtained a real good deal in a business class seat for about $1,100. a steal in comparison to the other lines. We then intend to stay over in London for the night and catch a discount flight to Athens the following day. We didn't want to try and accomplish the trip in one day arriving late at night. So there will be the better part of a day and one night in Piraeus in order to catch the sailing the 27th. The whole thing seems to us more a homecoming than a sail away. We are so hooked on this ship and the wonderful crew. We are concerned about the "E" especially with the call at Morocco but then it's up to us to take all necessary precautions.

We'll remember the previous crossing where we all sat at our computers watching the slow progress of the Cristal as she left Greece for Cuba. When I look back on all the anxious postings it will be fun relating it all to our being aboard this second season sailing.

Just noted the price postings for 2015 where there is no single supplement penalty. Many of our now single friends will be glad to hear of that.

And to those who might be disappointed that there will not be a rubber lobster night, we have to say that the food served aboard is good and the selection fine. The low occupancy last year must have been difficult for the kitchens which hopefully will be getting back into full swing with the increased bookings this year. But one will not find the somewhat pretentious menus of the floating hotels especially at these prices.

Edited by ONT-CA

(quote=insider1649;44610165]Hi everyone. I was so surprised to see this roll call still going after so long. I am also surprised to see so many of my planning buddies from a year ago. Well, I just booked flights for my trip back to Cuba and CubaCruise. This time I'll will be travelling with my sister instead of my husband. Its her first time to Cuba. On board January 26 - Feb 2. We haven't decided on a cabin yet but will be doing that very soon. Anyone on the Roll Call on board for that week? I am so looking forward to chatting with everyone over the next couple of months :D

Hello Insider 1649

We will be onboard for part of your week. We fly out of Victoria BC on 20 Jan, spend a couple of nights in Montego Bay and join the ship on 23 Jan. Fly back home from Montego Bay 30 Jan via Atlanta and Seattle. This is our first trip to Cuba but not our last as our grandson is getting married in Cuba in August 2015.

Drop in and say hello we are in cabin 6000.

Marg and Gary

HI all!

zebraprintsky ~ has your DH mentionned anything about the chikungunya

mosquito situation in Jamaica? I'm going to the Blue Hole soon & am thinking I'll need protection as mosquitoes love me.

Hey Jo!

Oh my, dont even get me started ! Jamaicans are the type to blow everything out of proportion... especially when it comes to viruses and getting sick. If my husband has his way, or his thoughts.. then every member of his family including himself has gotten this virus, LOL. The other day he "wasnt feeling well", so he was dead convinced he had it, as they call it "the chicken virus". In my opinion, his body hurt cuz he had spent the past 2 days laying in bed not moving, so clearly he was gonna feel gross. I read up on it, and its not passed on from human contact, and its only about 2 types of mosquitos that carry it, and they are only out in the day time. I ALWAYS wear bug spray when I am there because the bugs eat me alive anyway.

I would say just wear repellent as you usually would and I would not stress out too much.

I am jealous you are going to the blue hole.. in my 100000 trips down, I have never made it there. We tried to find it ourselves once, and ended up somewhere else pretty, but it wasn't the blue hole!

Hi all!

zebraprintsky ~ thanks for the info. I don't usually use insect repellent or sunscreen as I have sensitive skin but will this time. Some of those places in Jamaica would be hard to find yourself. I don't think we would have found the bird sanctuary alone either or would have wanted to drive on that road in a rental car.:eek:

Ron ~ got your dates marked down on my calendar as I want to try & track your journey across the pond etc. Too bad Louis isn't a line one can find on sea scanner, my usual tracking source.

I, too saw that single supplement offer but wasn't it only on special dates or from Havana?

I've booked a flight to London for next June but didn't get a good price (or business class) like you. I wanted to go to Heathrow so that could be the difference.

insider1649 ~ welcome back to the thread!:D That's got to say a lot that some of us are taking the cruise for a 2nd time. I'm really looking forward to doing things I didn't do last time & seeing the difference more passengers will make.

Have a nice day, cool sunny one here but no white stuff yet. I'm a bit worried about sailing from Boston for 3 sea days next week!

Hi all!

zebraprintsky ~ thanks for the info. I don't usually use insect repellent or sunscreen as I have sensitive skin but will this time. Some of those places in Jamaica would be hard to find yourself. I don't think we would have found the bird sanctuary alone either or would have wanted to drive on that road in a rental car.:eek:

The DH lives way up in the mountains near st.anns so there is no escaping the mosquitoes. especially at night. They eat me alive! We have directions to the blue hole, and now I know where to go for next time. We have a car, and driving anywhere for him isnt an issue, as its home. You should see the roads leading up to the house, I have no clue how we havent ended up off a cliff yet. I have driven on the highway between Ochi and Mobay, and that was enough for me!!! haha. So Scary !

The DH lives way up in the mountains near st.anns so there is no escaping the mosquitoes. especially at night. They eat me alive! We have directions to the blue hole, and now I know where to go for next time. We have a car, and driving anywhere for him isnt an issue, as its home. You should see the roads leading up to the house, I have no clue how we havent ended up off a cliff yet. I have driven on the highway between Ochi and Mobay, and that was enough for me!!! haha. So Scary !

I've also driven Ochi and Mobay both ways. I also drove from Nigril to YS Falls both ways. Scooter around Ochi and car to Port Antonio. Drove Ochi to Kingston over the Blue Mountains thru Spanishtown and back with Jamaican friends. Love Jamaica. We're staying in Mobay for three nights after the cruise. Not enough time to get back to Ochi. Jah bless.

I've also driven Ochi and Mobay both ways. I also drove from Nigril to YS Falls both ways. Scooter around Ochi and car to Port Antonio. Drove Ochi to Kingston over the Blue Mountains thru Spanishtown and back with Jamaican friends. Love Jamaica. We're staying in Mobay for three nights after the cruise. Not enough time to get back to Ochi. Jah bless.

For me its never enough time. haha.

I will be down Dec 30th to spend New Years with the DH and my extended Family, then we head for the Cruise from the 9-16th, then we will stay in Mobay until I have to come home on the 18th. I am So pumped for this cruise. More so I am so excited to actually tell him we are going on it !!!

HI all!

Paul ~ you sure are brave doing all that driving in Jamaica! It sure is a beautiful country from the little I've seen of it.

zebraprintsky ~ the driver who took us up to Rocklands Bird Sanctuary had to turn off the a/c to safe energy for the hill. I bet you're looking forward to seeing DH again & especially to tell him about the cruise. I don't know how you can keep a secret that long, I think I'd have spilled the beans by now in excitement.

While checking out the website I see that my week has 76 cabins available, burm's 56 & insider & liz's week only 16!! Wow, what a change from last year!!

Have a great week! Mine includes a cruise so I'm happy.

HI all!

zebraprintsky ~ the driver who took us up to Rocklands Bird Sanctuary had to turn off the a/c to safe energy for the hill. I bet you're looking forward to seeing DH again & especially to tell him about the cruise. I don't know how you can keep a secret that long, I think I'd have spilled the beans by now in excitement.

I am SO horrible at keeping secrets from him. I have told his sister, but thats only because I have to wait until I am there to get his travel insurance for the cruise and I needed her to find out how much it will be for me! And yes, its SOOOOO hard to be apart. I count days until I am back the minute I get home, but now we just have to wait on immigration and he will hopefully be here soonish. He is actually going to freak out when he finds out what we are doing. I can't even imagine what he is going to be like once we get onboard. So if anyone is boarding when we do, or is on the same dates as us (Jan 9-16 from Mobay), and sees a tall young jamaican man running around with excitement, yep.. thats my hubby!

Article on Cuba's response to the Ebola Crisis

http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/cubas-ebola-diplomacy

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. This goes to show what we found in the Cuban people last year. They seem to be so amazingly giving and very very proud of their county. A big part of why I'm so excited to go back.

I have always felt that by the instance of the Cuban government that all tourists have full health insurance coverage before being allowed into their country was a bit of an oxymoron. Should illness befall you while in Cuba you could not be in a better location to receive the best of medical assistance. I realize of course that they cannot have us be a burden on their health care system which must be hampered by the embargo. Let's hope that there will be an end to that soon.

I will be arriving in Montego Bay around noon on 20 Jan. I understand that the wait at arrival can sometimes be very long and uncomfortable. Club Mobay provides for arrival as well as departure service, is it worth the cost for this service?

I will be arriving in Montego Bay around noon on 20 Jan. I understand that the wait at arrival can sometimes be very long and uncomfortable. Club Mobay provides for arrival as well as departure service, is it worth the cost for this service?

Last year, we departed from Montego Bay. We took a cab from our hotel, there were porters taking our luggage to the ship and we walked right through the terminal onto the pier and onto the ship. No problems at all. Just had to show passports at one counter and, because we had been in Jamacia for two days, pay a departure tax at another counter(I think this was about $30 CASH ONLY) No waiting in line at any point. And then given a mini tour of the ship and shown right to our cabin by one of the staff. "How to make a good first impression"

I would think that this year there may be more people involved but if you give yourself some time, you should fine.

The reports of long, uncomfortable waits must be for the big 4000 passenger ships that come to Jamacia.

Edited by insider1649

I will be arriving in Montego Bay around noon on 21 Jan. I understand that the wait at arrival can sometimes be very long and uncomfortable. Club Mobay provides for arrival as well as departure service, is it worth the cost for this service?

My mistake, we are spending a couple of days in Montego Bay and don't board the ship until 23 Jan.Cazwin Villa in Westgate Hills. Looking for information about arrival/departure airport service provided by Club Mobay at Montego Bay airport.

Gary

Hey Gary,

I think I can help you. I fly into Jamaica multiple times per year, as my husband lives in Jamaica. For the most part I take the same flight, and I land at around 1:30pm local time. Once I have flown early and landed around 11:30 local time. The longest I have ever waited was 40 minutes, and thats with what most would consider to be pretty long lines at peak times (1:30). The time I landed at 11:30, I was thru immigration and waiting outside for the hubby within 20 minutes. I personally would never pay extra for Club Mobay, but some people dont like to wait more then 10 minutes. Its all up to you. I feel like when many planes arrive at once, they try to go thru as fast as they can. The airport isnt that horrible, I don't mind it at all really.

Hope that helps! I fly home from JA on the 18th, so I will just miss you at the airport !