My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

ONT-CA, please advise how you purchased the B2B cruise. When I check the website, it shows cruises with and without air, but I wondered if you did it by phone and purchased your own air. I looked at air from Syracuse and it connects in Charlotte and is a relatively good price. As I have over a year to go ( and hope that it is still a viable option then), nothing is urgent; I just like to know the possibilities.

Nikki

The Havana b2b purchased last year and again the b2b for this year was made directly with Cuba Cruises as was our upcoming Trans Atlantic. In each case we had arranged for our own air transportation. The first year we were rather late in making the air move and paid dearly for it. Never regretted it though. We made this years Havana bookings as soon as we got home. As a result we achieved a better air deal but nothing near a low as the package deal being offered. Flying to the Caribbean at that time of year is expensive. Not sure if Cuba Cruises has made the decision yet for a third year and if so when they will open bookings. But you are correct though in that the earlier you make flight arrangements the better the deal.

Thanks for the info Ron. I can only hope that they have a successful year in 2015 and determine to carry on. We would not be able to book air until Jan/Feb if we did it on our own but I guess we could go with the air included package if we booked with Cuba Cruise via phone when a determination is made. That would likely be the best option. I am really sorry that we will not be able to make it this year, but a promise to a landlord is a promise.

Nikki

Thanks for the info Ron. I can only hope that they have a successful year in 2015 and determine to carry on. We would not be able to book air until Jan/Feb if we did it on our own but I guess we could go with the air included package if we booked with Cuba Cruise via phone when a determination is made. That would likely be the best option. I am really sorry that we will not be able to make it this year, but a promise to a landlord is a promise.

Nikki

This year the bookings opened on 1 April 2014, however you could request to be placed on a wait-list.

Gary

The email I got clearly stated $200 Air for February cruises. NO mention of taxes extra or anything.

When I went to book the taxes were an additional $450. So $650. That fare is available to all with Air Transat. I have liked everything about this company till now. Airlines are required by law to only advertise the full cost. They have found a loophole (Cuba Cruise is not an Airline) and it is a simple bait and switch. I expected a higher standard from a new Canadian company.

This is what I received. It is a bit confusing because they call them "port taxes", yet they refer to the air portion being added.

ow Season • January 2015, 5, 12, 19 and 26 at $200pp

Mid Season • February 2015, 2, 9, 16, 23 and March 2 at $310ppHigh Season • December 2014, 22, 29 and March 2015, 9, 16 and 23 at $420pp

Offer is valid until October 31, 2014, and only to existing pre-booked passengers. All passengers on the booking must accept the flight package. Single supplements and additional passengers rates will apply. **Port taxes of $412pp are additional and will be added to existing bookings. This offer will not affect your currently booked cruise price. Not applicable with any other offer or promotion. Adding the flight package must be completed through a Cuba Cruise reservation agent by calling us at 1-855-364-4999. For pricing and full details call Cuba Cruise. See http://www.yourcubacruise.com for terms and conditions.

Oops, I accidentally cut and pasted too much information. That was unintentional and will probably be censored.

Anyway, at $730 total, the cost is $55 pp higher than I already paid directly to AC. Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks, Martha. :)

HI all!

Paul ~ I don't think that would work in Cuba. As Ron said you could use J$ for tips. I found them hard to deal with as they're so big eg 1000 J$ is like $1 US or may 10??. I never was good at decimals so I ended up short tipping the cab driver & he let me know it.:o I brought Euros & changed them at the cambio where we stopped in Antilla.This time I'm bringing CAD & probably some US for tips. Our darned loonies & toonies make tipping difficult.

Have a great weekend.

~ Jo~ :)

The email I got clearly stated $200 Air for February cruises. NO mention of taxes extra or anything.

When I went to book the taxes were an additional $450. So $650. That fare is available to all with Air Transat. I have liked everything about this company till now. Airlines are required by law to only advertise the full cost. They have found a loophole (Cuba Cruise is not an Airline) and it is a simple bait and switch. I expected a higher standard from a new Canadian company.

The extra tax for air flights was shown on the yourcuba site. If you look at cost of cruise only and cost of cruise with air transit you would have seen the port taxes of

$173 and $590

I noted this in posting that I made in September

It is interesting to note that the port tax for Montego Bay is $173, while Havana with the air the port tax is $590.

Interesting to note that you can fly to Montego Bay on American Airlines in mid- january, return from Toronto for $882 for two people and take Cuba cruise in Deluxe Outside Stateroom (XE) for total cost of $2818 CND, cost with AirTransit and same cabin $2882.

Gary

The extra tax for air flights was shown on the yourcuba site. If you look at cost of cruise only and cost of cruise with air transit you would have seen the port taxes of

$173 and $590

I noted this in posting that I made in September

It is interesting to note that the port tax for Montego Bay is $173, while Havana with the air the port tax is $590.

Interesting to note that you can fly to Montego Bay on American Airlines in mid- january, return from Toronto for $882 for two people and take Cuba cruise in Deluxe Outside Stateroom (XE) for total cost of $2818 CND, cost with AirTransit and same cabin $2882.

Gary

Also from yourcuba cruise website

incorporated into these Terms & Conditions.

*Standard Fare is cruise, flight from Toronto to Havana direct, all transfers to ship, valid for new bookings only, for sailings starting December 2014 to March 2015. EBD savings valid for the first 2 pax in cabin only, 10% EBD for booking made before December 20, 2014 - included in price. Port taxes of $590.00pp are additional

Gary

I can only wish that Cuba Cruises would clarify the pricing structure so that they are not tainted with this poor image. Perhaps it is the Cuban government that imposes these "port taxes" as airport fees for there is no question that one can fly into MB Jamaica much cheaper than into Havana. I'm thinking of the member who obtained a fare from Detroit to MB for $300. One could never do that into Havana. We must also pay a fee to leave Havana airport

Jo, glad you see the Loonie dilemma for tipping. The "George Washington" seems to solve that. Many people think that because of the daily service charges that tipping isn't necessary but, for a fraction of that of the cruise cost, distributed in the bar, room service or even at the end of the cruise, room service and waiters, etc., what joy it brings to say nothing of appreciated service. As I mentioned, we continue to correspond with Dianelys our favourite cocktail waitress. She is looking forward to our return and was able to not only remember but name our standard drink requests and how we like them. We certainly hope that Dianelys shift corresponds with our cocktail hour.

HI all!

I was just thinking it makes sense the port taxes for Cuba are much more than for Jamaica as we're going to more ports in Cuba but them putting it in with the airfare is sort of misleading.

Going to Jamaica works better for us as we'll have a full day in Havana which is all we need having been there a couple of times.

A day like today, dull & dreary, makes me wish the cruise was sooner!;)

~ Jo ~ :)

HI all!

I was just thinking it makes sense the port taxes for Cuba are much more than for Jamaica as we're going to more ports in Cuba but them putting it in with the airfare is sort of misleading.

Going to Jamaica works better for us as we'll have a full day in Havana which is all we need having been there a couple of times.

A day like today, dull & dreary, makes me wish the cruise was sooner!;)

The port tax for cruise only from either Havana or Montego Bay is exactly the same $178 per person. The port tax for cruise and air from Havana is $590 per person, which really is an air tax of $412.

The port tax for cruise only from either Havana or Montego Bay is exactly the same $178 per person. The port tax for cruise and air from Havana is $590 per person, which really is an air tax of $412.

Although not totally foreign to us, a port tax to fly into a Cuban airport must apply here. The CubaCruise site clearly says this, as it pertains to the flight/cruise package:

**Port taxes of $412pp are additional and will be added to existing bookings.

Our AC flight arrangements into Havana are almost exactly that, +$400 over flights going into Montego Bay. The only difference is that AC does not show a separate portion of their fare as being a port tax....but it is.

One of the advantages of booking an AIR/CRUISE package is the flight schedules. The carrier, AirTransat I believe, takes you to Havana with an arrival time to allow you a little time to see the city and then catch the sailing of the Cristal.

Because there is only one Air Canada flight per day to Havana, they schedule Toronto departures so that you arrive in Havana about midnight. Getting a taxi and travelling to your hotel should put you to bed in the ungodly wee hours of the morning. The plane is held in Havana overnight and so when the unfortunate day of your departure arrivers, their schedule for the Toronto bound flight is seven something in the morning making it most important that you clear your hotel and hail a cab no later than five in the morning. Logic tell me that if Air Canada scheduled their flight to Havana to arrive mid day and return sometime thereafter that they would, if nothing else, avoid the layover costs.

I booked my flights today.

I am flying into Jamaica way early (on Dec 30th) to spend new years with the hubby, then some time with the family before we Cruise from Jan 9-16, then we are just gonna stay at the Riu Mobay until I fly home on the 18th. Westjet had a serious sale and I got my flights for under 500 round trip. Which for someone who flies to Jamaica on a pretty regular basis, I was so excited with the price for New Years ! whoot !

I booked my flights today.

I am flying into Jamaica way early (on Dec 30th) to spend new years with the hubby, then some time with the family before we Cruise from Jan 9-16, then we are just gonna stay at the Riu Mobay until I fly home on the 18th. Westjet had a serious sale and I got my flights for under 500 round trip. Which for someone who flies to Jamaica on a pretty regular basis, I was so excited with the price for New Years ! whoot !

Awesome price. Congrats!

Isn't it a great feeling to have the pieces fall into place?

My final payment is due in 11 days. I guess I will give them a call this week, just to make sure things go through in time. Last year my TA was on holidays when final payment was due and it didn't go through. Fortunately, I was monitoring the situation and saw that it was processed in time.

Its nice because I didnt really have set dates, as long as I was there before New Years Eve, and stayed until after I got back to Jamaica from the cruise. So I could play around with the dates and compare prices, man I love the westjet website for that.

I never book anything so far in advance (for my jamaica wedding I booked less then a week before) but its New Years and they announced the sale so I just jumped on it.

I booked my cruise in September because the price was good and cuz my best friend is my travel agent she sat on the phone and found us the biggest room (square footage) in my budget AND got us a small beverage plan (8 per day, 2 of them can be cocktails) included in the price. Plus my final payment isnt due until Novemvber 24th.

I got a killer day on our two Riu Nights due to points and being a club member and discount codes, so that will be a nice end to the trip before I have to leave the husband again.

now just 83 more days apart, and until I get to tell him we are going on this cruise and watch him go crazy with excitement !!! Its so hard to keep secrets from him so this is killing me !

Did anyone here take the ship's excursion to Trinidad, and if so, were they happy with it? It seems to us that there is a lot of travel time and very little time there.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I was looking for other options but its so hard to find info on tours from cienfuegos. All I have found are over night ones from Varadero or Havana. If I cant find anything is Cienfeugos a city that is easy to wander around/self explore if not booking an excursion?

I have booked a Private tour for Havana for the day already.

Im also looking for tour options that arnt offered from the boat for the other stops. Altho I am thinking I am for sure gonna book the Cuba Life one.

... My final payment is due in 11 days. I guess I will give them a call this week, just to make sure things go through in time. Last year my TA was on holidays when final payment was due and it didn't go through. Fortunately, I was monitoring the situation and saw that it was processed in time.

We were advised that as Greece is controlling the final payments, there is an automatic cancellation system for any booking that is not paid in full by the specified date with no additional warnings allowing those next on the waiting list to fill the vacancy. We completed our payment immediately.

Did anyone here take the ship's excursion to Trinidad, and if so, were they happy with it? It seems to us that there is a lot of travel time and very little time there.

We were sorry we did not and will this time around. Age is an important factor and I personally like bus trips through a country to get a feel for how things are done and how people live. The final destination is the icing on the cake but the passing views are a tour lecture in itself, especially to those of us with physical limitations.

Here's a thought for burm and any other who will be faced with this problem in either of the two SI cabins. The private deck is where it's at unless someone wishes to communicate with you. Granted staff just let themselves in but what if a passenger needs to get hold of you. The phone is inside and you will not hear it or the door. So we are bringing along one of those telephone extension cords one buys at the dollar store so that the phone can be brought out onto the deck. We're assuming the connecters are universal. A spacer will be needed to prevent the heavy spring loaded door from cutting the line. We'll report our findings.

Hi all!

zebraprintsky ~ wow that was a really good price for the flight! That was cutting it awfully close for your wedding flight, I couldn't wait that long or I'd be a nervous wreck! Sounds like you & DH are going to have a lovely time .

Cienfuegos is a town you can walk around in, that's what DH did.

The Cuba Life tour was very good, a nice meal & a few interesting stops,

one to see the beach at a Holguin resort where there was also a market where I bough DH a guayabera.

I didn't take the Trinidad tour either last time but will be doing it this time around. That's true Ron about the drive to a place being a learning experience as long as you don't get a guide like we had. That woman hardly said a thing & some people were 1st timers to the Caribbean so might not have known what banana plants looked like or anything else that would be nothing to a native but of interest to a visitor (well a curious one like me:o)

Ron ~ did you get hail over there a few minutes ago? We got a sudden downpour with hail & now it's sunny. Very changeable weather we're having.

Have a nice day, whatever the weather!

Thanks so much. When it comes to my flights, I never really stress out. I have never had a flight I want sell out, and I just check the prices so often I know when they drop/ etc. and Ususally I dont have set travel dates, as I can go visit Jamaica and the hubby whenever I want, so its easy for me to shift dates etc . I made it down two days before the wedding, and had no stress at all so yah.

Thanks for the info on Cienfuegos. There is no use paying over 60$ for a city tour if we can just explore on our own. I am not into being on a bus that long to go to Trinidad so I guess I will save that for another time.

I will book the Cuba Life Tour. and then I am looking to do the Santiago Special tour when we are there I think. I figured two tours, plus our private Havana tour is enough.

I am so looking forward to this cruise with him ! For the one fancy dinnner thats like 39 bucks.. can you book this in advance and pick what night before you get on the ship? or do you have to wait till you get there? Thanks!