My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi again.

Just wanted to let you all know that on the USA Today app under travel there's an article about Cristal with 74 photos.

The special restaurant was never busy when we were on it . We made the mistake of eating there the 1st night which made the other meals seem less appealing .

Thanks Jo for the USA Today site. Great memories and of course makes us more anxious to get aboard again.

No hail but short bursts of heavy rain and the fierce wind is depositing all the leaves on our lawn, save for the oak trees which will only let theirs go once we have completed raking ... More reasons to look forward to the cruise

... If I cant find anything is Cienfeugos a city that is easy to wander around/self explore if not booking an excursion? .

Just wanted to add that there are plenty of pedicabs at the dock which is appreciated when the heat get one down. The small pedestrian only shopping street is a great place to get the feel of the city and be sure and stick your head into the open windows of what must be the largest barber shop in the world. Talk about no waiting...

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Cienfuegos11.jpg

It looks like anyone on the bridge will be able to see me if I am at the front part of my balcony. Is that correct?

Looks like we will have complete privacy in the hot tub though.;)

1409233201000-001-louiscristalatmilos.JPG

This is currently my desktop photo so that every time I turn on my computer I can imagine myself standing right at the front of the ship with the breeze in my hair an a mojito in my hand.

It looks like anyone on the bridge will be able to see me if I am at the front part of my balcony. Is that correct?

Looks like we will have complete privacy in the hot tub though.;) .

Anyone on the Bridge would have to crane to see anyone on the deck. About 20% of the outer deck is in some view, the rest totally private. And by that I mean the hot tub can be rub-a-dub-dub tub... But when the staff do not get a response to a knock at the cabin door, they will enter freely and will stick their head out the door to the deck to deliver their message. Be prepared....

HI again!

Here's the link in case some couldn't find it & it's also handy to have it here for future reference.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/10/08/cruise-ship-tours-louis-cristal/16898873/

burm ~ the ship looks so different when it's doing the Cuba cruise. They must have to paint it & apply all the decals after the Med season.

Congrats on final payment. Mine isn't due until Jan 2 which seems strange when you're just going a few days before me.:confused: Is yours early because of having one of only 2 suites like that available?

zebraprintsky ~ we were unable to go to Cuba to an all inclusive the 1st time we wanted to go because there were no flights available, hence my worry.

Ron ~ wow that was the biggest barber shop I've never seen, lol! It was on that Cienfuegos tour to the Botanical Garden that we had the non descriptive guide, the one on the Cuba Life tour was very good.

I'm getting excited for the cruise & it's still so far away!:(

~ Jo ~ :)

Congrats on final payment. Mine isn't due until Jan 2 which seems strange when you're just going a few days before me.:confused: Is yours early because of having one of only 2 suites like that available?

The lady with the beautiful hair (you know who I mean, Jo:)) told me that deposits made to Cuban Cruise directly were smaller but had to be paid earlier. Transat deposits are higher but paid later.

I should mention, for the sake of those who booked directly with Cuban Cruise, that the onus is on the passenger to contact them and make the final payment on time, although they supposedly email you a reminder. They do not hold your credit card information from your deposit and simply debit your account.

My payment is due in 9 days, and I had not received a reminder. I would not have been happy if the reminder had gone unnoticed to my junk mail and I lost my precious balcony.

Anyone on the Bridge would have to crane to see anyone on the deck. About 20% of the outer deck is in some view, the rest totally private. And by that I mean the hot tub can be rub-a-dub-dub tub... But when the staff do not get a response to a knock at the cabin door, they will enter freely and will stick their head out the door to the deck to deliver their message. Be prepared....

I will keep that in mind. :D

HI again!

zebraprintsky ~ we were unable to go to Cuba to an all inclusive the 1st time we wanted to go because there were no flights available, hence my worry.

oh seriously?!?! I have never had an issue with having no flights available. Even last year when I flew down to Jamaica for New Years, I booked just over a month in advance (which is early for me) and there was still plenty of seats. I mean the day of the flight it was full, as most of my flights are, but I have never ever had a problem getting the flights and times I want!

We were most surprised when we had to find a flight FROM Cuba after our TransAtlantic which arrives on the 22nd of December, so no Toronto flights until the 23rd. But we felt that after 25 days at sea we could use at least one day to get our land legs back. So we tried for what we thought would be impossible, flying out on the 24th. Not only did we get seats, we got the flight for only $300. Home for Christmas by a whisker.

We were most surprised when we had to find a flight FROM Cuba after our TransAtlantic which arrives on the 22nd of December, so no Toronto flights until the 23rd. But we felt that after 25 days at sea we could use at least one day to get our land legs back. So we tried for what we thought would be impossible, flying out on the 24th. Not only did we get seats, we got the flight for only $300. Home for Christmas by a whisker.

A Christmas Miracle!:D

And speaking of waving, here is a shot that prompted our waves to someone on their fabulous wedding day. Such scenes encountered everywhere took us back to the "good old days". But here is a current scene with a 1956 Ford that tells us that planned obsolesce is not necessarily so that thing can be kept in usable condition. We'll leave the reason behind this to another conversation but the ingenuity of the Cuban people to make things last is amazing. Our throw away society could learn a thing or two from them.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Herecomethebride.jpg

HI all!

Ron ~ neat photos! You stay away from Santa now we don't want you spoiling Christmas for families around the World!

I love the old cars in Cuba. That one especially reminds me of the '56 Meteor my DD had. Those car of the 50's sure had some style & you could tell them apart, not like the cars of today.

Happy Thanksgiving & have a great weekend.

~ Jo ~:)

Hi all!

I didn't take the Trinidad tour either last time but will be doing it this time around. That's true Ron about the drive to a place being a learning experience as long as you don't get a guide like we had. That woman hardly said a thing & some people were 1st timers to the Caribbean so might not have known what banana plants looked like or anything else that would be nothing to a native but of interest to a visitor (well a curious one like me:o)

A couple of notes from when I did the cruise in January.

In Cienfuegos, we hired a taxi at the port for CUC 30. He took us to the Botanical Gardens, where we paid CUC 2-3 (can't remember) each entrance fee, and when we bought the tickets asked for a private guide for an hour. He cost a total of CUC 10, was brilliant, giving us a wonderful, informative tour. The are no signs with the names of the plants in this garden, so you need a guide.

The taxi next took us to Palacio de Valle in town. This is a beautiful 19th century merchant's home built in Moroccan style. It is now a national monument and restaurant. You can pay just CUC 2 each entrance if you don't want to eat there, which includes a cocktail on the roof overlooking the sea!

From there the taxi took us to the centre of town, where we walked around on our own and then back to the ship (15 mins walk approx). The tour we did was the same route at the ship's tour, but considerably less expensive, and at our own pace.

We did not go to Trinidad, but another couple we talked to did, and loved it. The took a taxi from the port for the day, which they say cost them about half the cost of the ship's tour.

Hope the above info is of help.

Hazel:D

HI all!

Hazel :D~ nice to see you back here & thanks for the info. That is pretty much what we did on the ship's tour in Cienfuegos. We did go into the theatre & into a souvenir shop with the guide. Our guide at the Garden didn't speak English so the guide from the bus had to translate everything.

Today while checking how many cabins are available I saw this message on the 3 dates I checked:

"Category Selection

(prices include applicable discounts and port taxes of $178 per person)

No category is available"

I wonder if they're doing inventory.:confused:

Happy Thanksgiving Day! We have so much to be thankful for in this country.

HI all!

Hazel :D~ nice to see you back here & thanks for the info. That is pretty much what we did on the ship's tour in Cienfuegos. We did go into the theatre & into a souvenir shop with the guide. Our guide at the Garden didn't speak English so the guide from the bus had to translate everything.

Today while checking how many cabins are available I saw this message on the 3 dates I checked:

"Category Selection

(prices include applicable discounts and port taxes of $178 per person)

No category is available"

I wonder if they're doing inventory.:confused:

Happy Thanksgiving Day! We have so much to be thankful for in this country.

Seems to be working now.

I find it ironic and personally a little annoying that the value of the CUC is based on one US dollar. Consequently we Canadians have to pay the penalty to Cuba for our weaker dollar. Cuba does not do business in US dollars. They charge a 10% premium in just handling it. They will not accept US credit cards. The source of their trade depravation has been the US dollar.:confused:

On the other hand, where would Cuban tourism be without we Canadians? One would think that the Canadian dollar should be considered at least at par with the CUC.:mad:

HI all!

It is a strange relationship between Cuba & the USA. I read that the USA pays Cuba for Guantanamo put they never cash the cheques!:eek:

It is too bad that we suffer from the exchange rate when so many of us support their economy.

Have a nice day! October's 1/2 over so we're getting closer. Didn't it go by fast?!

As with a certain Shakespearian play where one refers to it only with the letter "M", I've taken upon myself to do likewise with a certain international concern by referring to it only by the letter "E". In many languages, the "E" remains silent...

The problem with cruises is that they have to be made so well in advance, at least to get the accommodation one desires. Consequently when an international health concern arises and you have booked and paid for passage, you are caught between an rock and a hard place. And the "E" is frightening the life out off many of us. No question that we will be aboard our ship but a whole new vigilance will have to be adopted. I have to wonder to what extent the "E" has had on the cruise business in total.

I would be far more concerned if I were doing my usual multi island Caribbean cruise. At least the medical systems in Cuba are good. Interesting article last week acknowledging that Cuba has taken a leading roll in the fight despite their size. Says a lot coming from the US.

I would be far more concerned if I were doing my usual multi island Caribbean cruise. At least the medical systems in Cuba are good. Interesting article last week acknowledging that Cuba has taken a leading roll in the fight despite their size. Says a lot coming from the US.

Perhaps I should have been in the Louis Cristal Trans Atlantic portion when I posted this, for the ship stops at so many foreign ports including Morocco. But it is the same ship that will then arrive in Cuba. You are correct about the Cuban health situation as I think they send more Doctors out into the world to assist those areas with health problems than does any other country. Over 400 Cuban doctors have recently arrived in Africa.