My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Hi all!

Ron ~ good to hear from you!:D Sorry for the c/c problem. Somebody tested my card in Las Vegas charging $1 (I was here) & so my c/c company blocked my card.:( Guess that's the same kind of problem.

You're onboard & know what's being said but here's a link to the new name so it might not be as bad as one imagines.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11421-louis-cruises-launching-a-new-brand-celestyal-cruises.html

Did many people board today in Montego Bay for the 1st Cuba cruise?

You'll be happy to hear we've had no lasting snow so far so good wishes for your drive home next week.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)

We have previously sailed on Louis Hellenic Cruise Lines' MV Cristal in Cabin 4029 on Deck 4 which is a Premium Outside with window cabin.

Really do not expect that cabin to be a "Premium" cabin by any decent cruise line's standards. And the "other" cabins are worse.

When we and everyone else used the cabin's bathroom shower the bedroom portion of the cabin flooded from the shower's water.

Hope by now the MV Cristal's problems that were present on our cruise have since been corrected. If not be prepared for very damp to wet carpet for your entire cruise.

Edited by Steamboatin

We have previously sailed on Louis Hellenic Cruise Lines' MV Cristal in Cabin 4029 on Deck 4 which is a Premium Outside with window cabin.

Really do not expect that cabin to be a "Premium" cabin by any decent cruise line's standards. And the "other" cabins are worse.

When we and everyone else used the cabin's bathroom shower the bedroom portion of the cabin flooded from the shower's water.

Hope by now the MV Cristal's problems that were present on our cruise have since been corrected. If not be prepared for very damp to wet carpet for your entire cruise.

I sure was pleased to read this and it has my wife and I looking forward to our February Cruise.

The poster's original comments (from Seprember 2007) are posted below:

We just got off of the Cristal. We were on her third voyage as a Louis Hellenic Line vessel.

It is OK for a small ship FERRY.

It will get you safely between the islands.

It is NOT up to anything in the "main stream" cruise industry fleet.

Pool small only good it is for is to get you wet, nothing more.

Cabin air conditioning is POOR at best.

Cabin bathroom shower drains onto bathroom floor flooding the bathroom floor after the first person showers.

Food in dinning rooms was good. Did not eat at buffet as the sit down and eat area was small and inferior to traffic flow and scenery. Small buffet line area would seemly greatly limit the variety of food that they could offer there.

Enjoyed the trip on her, but not go back on her if I could help it.

Ship was clean and crew was very good.

Shop on board was a joke.

Vessel was fast and outran other vessels and was able to get us good dockage areas where available. Tendering was organized and efficient.

Ports on the 4 day cruise were very good except for Crete. Tours we took via Trafaglar were outstanding.

For a four day cruise of the Greek Islands you can easily enjoy yourself on the islands, but not on the vessel.

Think of using the vessel only as a means of getting you from one island to another and nothing more.

Edited by p598738
spelling

Hi, Dh and I have also booked the Feb. 16 cruise out of Havana.

Retiring Soon and Burm seemed to have talked him into it from me reading him things they said on our Canada thread.

It will be our first trip to Cuba. Many friends have been, but we are not stay on a resort for a week people and prefer to cruise.

We booked obstructed ocean view 6017. From photos of the outside of the ship it appears to show the whole window over the end of the smallest lifeboat. Hoping for a bit of a view and daylight.

I think this ship is half the size of the smallest ones we've done, Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend.

The interior photos look lovely though and all cruise ships pools are tiny IMO.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Edited by KandCsailing

Hi, Dh and I have also booked the Feb. 16 cruise out of Havana.

Retiring Soon and Burm seemed to have talked him into it from me reading him things they said on our Canada thread.

It will be our first trip to Cuba. Many friends have been, but we are not stay on a resort for a week people and prefer to cruise.

We booked obstructed ocean view 6017. From photos of the outside of the ship it appears to show the whole window over the end of the smallest lifeboat. Hoping for a bit of a view and daylight.

I think this ship is half the size of the smallest ones we've done, Carnival Spirit and Carnival Legend.

The interior photos look lovely though and all cruise ships pools are tiny IMO.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Kerri, I lied to you - we are starboard this cruise, which is opposite to what we normally pick.

My DB was telling me about a ship's captain who was seen every morning to pull a crumpled piece of paper out of his pocket. This went on for many years before someone finally got up the courage to ask him what was on this paper. The answer:

Starboard is right, port is left.

HI all!

Kerri ~ welcome to the thread!:D Just 63 pages to read to get caught up!

You're just 3 doors away from us. We're in an XE & had the same (6212) last time on starboard which we really liked. I sat on my sofa & could see Dolphins or large fish jumping out of the water right from it!

I usually choose right/starboard in all modes of transport, bus, plane or ships as I think you get a better view eg going down to the islands, land would be to the right.

Steamboatin ~ sorry to hear about your problem on deck 4 but we had nothing like that on deck 6. The ship's not fancy but it is nice & for me the itinerary is what counts. I found the food good & the entertainment great.

p598738 ~ which week are you going in Feb.? Will you be on with the 3 of us?

Have a great week. Guess Ron should be back soon & maybe he'll tell us more.

To p598738 and Retiring Soon,

Glad you were able to verify that am consistent in what I stated about bathroom shower flooding.

Glad also to hear that apparently they have corrected the bathroom flooding problem since we cruised on her.

Of our nearly 30 cruises the funniest thing to happen to me was on our cruise on the mv Cristal. At lunch one day I and the guy nest to me really enjoyed the chilled strawberry soup. The guy next to me asked our waiter to find out how the chef made the soup. Our waiter came back to our table laughing his butt off. The chilled strawberry soup was actually melted strawberry ice cream. Now that is one soup that I can make.

What does one say to a fellow passenger on this Cuba Cruise portion of our trip who booked a cabin as a single and who did not have to pay a supplement, who took advantage of “the lowest fares in the cruising season”, who is sitting enjoying a cocktail at half price all while complaining about the charge for a room safe? Words escaped me…

Upon arrival at Cienfuegos the Cuban authorities check the body temperature of each and every passenger before allowing us to disembark. Obviously Ebola is the fear and it is comforting to know that you are not living with anyone so infected. The doctors all are equipped with a new kind of thermometer that need not touch your body but sensitively measures skin temperature. The light is shone upon the forehead for a few seconds and a beep is heard and on the reverse side of the unit a screen shows your actual temperature. If in permissible range the screen is green and if outside the range the screen is red. As no one was prevented from going ashore we conclude everyone passed. It appears that this will be repeated in other ports as well. In discussions at Happy Hour we marveled at this new technology and thanked science for moving us on from the times of rectal thermometers.

Took advantage of the multi chair barber shop in Cienfuegos and had my hair cut. A great haircut at less than half of what I would have had to pay at home… But according to Cuban staff, I paid twice as much as I should have… It’s still a great haircut

In trying to find a Spanish word for addition or more to apply to our Oliver Twistian request for “more” of the great Consommé soup oft served aboard, I uttered, “mucho”. That rang a bell and so our waiter and I began a duet of our version of a great song in, Consommé, Consommé Mucho much to the laughter and bewilderment of those around us.

For what seemed like forty days and forty nights there was no “junk” food aboard. But longing for a cheeseburger I pleaded with staff to have it added to the menu just once. Denied. But when ashore at one of our port stops we happened upon a little restaurant offering Wi-Fi and so we ventured in. There seated around the room were members of the staff devouring cheeseburgers. They are now on the “Always Available” list in the luncheon menu.

There is to be a barbeque on the beach at Punta Frances today which we will pass-up. Today is packing day. The two embarkation points of this Cuba Cruise results in the joys and laughter of those who came aboard at Montego Bay for this is day two and only the second port of call. But for those of Havana embarkation this is the dreaded finale of the cruise and time to pack up. Ying Yang

Thanks Jo for the news site dealing with the change in owners/management of our favourite cruise ship. He came aboard at Barbados with his entourage looking every bit the part. They did at times remind me of the Sopranos when assembled for direction. He would have made a far better beginning if he had introduced himself to the passengers at, say one of the shows and perhaps defined a little of his business intentions. Rumours, rumours, rumours persisted and not all complimentary. I would have to say that being rude to staff was not a good beginning either. Ship officers hovered at every move. And perhaps making use of the private dining facility would have been a better idea rather than centre stage of the main dining room. To say I was not impressed is an understatement. But then I don’t think he or they really give a damn what I think.

As reported by several irate passengers, there were two barbeque occasions, one aboard and one on the beach at Youth Island were regular and typical ship food was prepared and served. But in addition there was special offerings prepared like mussels, lobster and humongous shrimp. But when passengers asked if they could partake of this feast they were told that it was only for “special persons”. How crass to mingle with passengers while consuming delicacies that were denied “the little people”. This man and his entourage desperately need a good PR representative to, if nothing else, keep them out of the public eye.

Very disappointing report on the new owners. If Cuba opens up to the mass market lines these people will get their comeuppance!

Very concerned about the future od Cuba if/when embargos are lifted. Long thread on the Princess Boards with everyone anxious that the big ships get in there.

Glad we have this year booked ad 4 days in Havana. Feels like last chance!

Thanks Jo for the news site dealing with the change in owners/management of our favourite cruise ship. He came aboard at Barbados with his entourage looking every bit the part. They did at times remind me of the Sopranos when assembled for direction. He would have made a far better beginning if he had introduced himself to the passengers at, say one of the shows and perhaps defined a little of his business intentions. Rumours, rumours, rumours persisted and not all complimentary. I would have to say that being rude to staff was not a good beginning either. Ship officers hovered at every move. And perhaps making use of the private dining facility would have been a better idea rather than centre stage of the main dining room. To say I was not impressed is an understatement. But then I don’t think he or they really give a damn what I think.

As reported by several irate passengers, there were two barbeque occasions, one aboard and one on the beach at Youth Island were regular and typical ship food was prepared and served. But in addition there was special offerings prepared like mussels, lobster and humongous shrimp. But when passengers asked if they could partake of this feast they were told that it was only for “special persons”. How crass to mingle with passengers while consuming delicacies that were denied “the little people”. This man and his entourage desperately need a good PR representative to, if nothing else, keep them out of the public eye.

I am confused. I thought that it was only a name change, not a change of ownership?

It is my understanding that the Cuban Cruise people would be taking over the operation of the ship once the LV reached Cuba. This would mean that the "mafiosos" would not affect our cruise in any way. Is this not correct?

What bad form to indulge in luxuries out in front of the "peasants". They certainly sound like a rude and crude lot! The whole scenario sounds like something out of a bad movie.

I understand that we are required to show proof of medical coverage for Cuba. Is the provincial coverage an a extended out of country covered sufficiant to meet the requirements?

We have yet to have been asked, on any of our entries into Cuba, if we had specified coverage although we are so covered. But the coverage you state seems fine from what the Cuban government needs from tourists

Hi all!

Ron ~ sorry to hear of the poor behaviour of the new owners.:( I'd have been ticked if I saw lobster & wasn't able to have some.

Safe travels home. BTW I read on the "other" place that Mandarin is coming to the Frontenac Mall in April. I love Mandarin!:D

wu687 ~ OHIP recommends having additional insurance coverage for out of province. I have some insurance from my previous employer which will cover DH & I always get an annual plan. Your Sun Life coverage should be good.

Looking forward to the cruise no matter who the owners are as long as the charges are in CAD & the itinerary is the same.;)

I am confused. I thought that it was only a name change, not a change of ownership?

As far as I understand it, Celestial Cristal is a corporate spin off from Louis Cruises not unlike the Carnival brands. There were two of the entourage that may have been Canadian which would indicate that Calgary may still be involved. But they like the others never engaged with the passengers, no good mornings, no how are things and most of all no eye contact. It was like they were dealing with a different species. The best or I should say worst example was when the head honcho finished his main course, he grabbed his empty plate thrust his arm out into the isle of the dining room with it and waited for a waiter, not his waiter, any waiter to pass and take it away from him. He never looked up.

Another member was said to be the head chef of Louis. He was seen about the ship sometimes in his galley whites and others in a Hawaiian look. He entered the galley freely never speaking to the waiters. And as if on cue on our arrival at Cienfuego the new menu was issued taking the selections to a school cafeteria level. Perhaps I had been on the ship too long?

I had a nice chat yesterday with someone from Cuban Cruise, and they said no new owner, simply a re-branding, and CC's charter will go on exactly as last year with the same people running the show. Thank goodness!!!!

The Mafioso will have left the ship probably by the time CC assumed the charter.

At least you got some good stories about your experience, Ron. It will be very interesting to get your feed after the Cuban Cruise gang has taken over.

Home safe and sound and will get this down before it is lost in the grey matter.

These comments and suggestion may apply to other cabins but I specifically refer to the suites. Because of the placement of the handle of the faucet at the sink in the washroom, it was not possible to obtain really hot water from the spout. Needing water somewhat hotter for shaving for example, I brought the flexible shower head fixture from the adjacent shower and filled the basin with the water at the desired temperature which was readily available.

Nice new fridge in the suite cabins. Products for sale left on the credenza can and will be removed by housekeeping upon request. New safe is installed utilizing a combination code rather than a key. New toiletry products introduced this year with a very good soap bar.

The individual hot tubs on the suite decks are functional but the noise generated by the faulty jet pump seals is intolerable. However the air jets do work which is a half loaf being better than none.

Laundry bag seems to be larger than last and service is same day. Look for the deal card

Wi-Fi signal strength is not sufficient to operate your computer in your room and one needs to take the laptop to the computer desk area or in the Eros Bar Lounge. Function no worse than any other line which is self explanatory.

One has to be content with only CNN news.

Deck will receive a nightly shower from above when they wash the windows of the bridge. The overhang roof line will tell you where to position furniture and personal items to avoid this.

Much ado about Happy Hour. Last year it was two for one. This year it is half price but only certain items. It still may be in a state of flux with much discontent.

Disembarkation was primarily forward with rare occurrence of aft. Elevators never a problem but then we were but 80 some passengers.

Suggested gratuities placed on our account was five Euros per day which seemed somewhat low in comparison to other lines. Not sure what it is now in Canadian dollars. Addition personal tipping is most appreciated if not rewarded.

And finally the much talked about thawing of diplomatic relations between the US and Cuba was not received with as much enthusiasm both on board as well as in Havana as by we passengers. Fears of a Ukrainian scenario predominated Cuba thoughts.

And finally the much talked about thawing of diplomatic relations between the US and Cuba was not received with as much enthusiasm both on board as well as in Havana as by we passengers. Fears of a Ukrainian scenario predominated Cuba thoughts.

How does the Ukrainian scenario apply to Cuba?

HI all!

Ron ~ welcome back! :DSounds like a different experience than last time on the ship & I bet the next one will be even more different with lots more passengers onboard.

Hope some of the Cuba cruisers come on here in the New Year & give their opinion of the cruise.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas day & best wishes to all for 2015!

HI all!

Ron ~ welcome back! :DSounds like a different experience than last time on the ship & I bet the next one will be even more different with lots more passengers onboard.

Hope some of the Cuba cruisers come on here in the New Year & give their opinion of the cruise.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas day & best wishes to all for 2015! ~ Jo ~ :)

Thanks Jo, it is good to be home. Have to agree with you as the two cruises in last season's B2B were different from each other being heavily dependant on the mix of passengers. Because of the language differences, this TA was strained and we relied upon staff for a lot of our personal contact. The few English speaking passengers who met for Happy Hour, etc., were not members of Cruise Critic but read it extensively and implored me to write about the BBQ fiasco and the like. Many say they will write their comments to the company or someone but we know from experience that they seldom do when they get home. It falls to us then to do it here.

Interestingly enough todays Word-A-Day is entropy and I immediately thought of Cuba when I saw it. But one has to be cautious in dealing with the politics of a country for there seems to be as many positions as there are people.