My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Great review Liz54, you expressed perfectly many of our findings and thoughts. What I had not thought about was Movies. Yes, no Movies Under The Stours... How delightful. And yes, the coffee does receive top marks, so unlike other lines. Unfortunately they did not have an early morning Coffer Station open when we were aboard but we understand that has now been rectified. Thanks for your review. We can't wait to be aboard again.

Hi again!

Liz54 ~ what a great review! Sounds like you had a lovely time. You've got me even more excited for our cruise coming up in just 13 days! Was surprised to hear lunch was buffet as last year it was sit down if I remember correctly. The only buffets I remember were at breakfast & the one on beach day. Have to agree about the croissants, not flaky like the ones I usually have on a cruise along with the fresh fruit.

barnsdall ~ you're welcome! :D Less than a month for you to go!

burm ~ I can only imagine how excited you are with your holiday in just a couple of days. Have a great time & see you soon.

~ Jo ~ :)

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, Liz. There were absolutely no surprises, which is an excellent thing. We are going in well prepared, thanks to you and all the others who have taken the time to share your thoughts and experiences.

I believe that this cruise will greatly appeal to the sort of people who enjoy the privately owned hotels around the world that ooze charm and local character, as opposed to those who insist on staying in the large American style hotels that do not vary from country to country.

Hi ElandMar...we embark on 2/20 in Montego Bay so will miss the Meet and Greet on the 17th. Do you want to meet up on the 24th which is a sea day?

Anybody up for a second one on the 22nd?

Does anyone know the best way, and least expensive, to get from Montego Bay airport to the cruise terminal?

Macey and Bob :)

Edited by Geritol Gypsies

HI

BURM, Thank you for the websites, some useful, take the opportunity to wish you a good trip, I will be attentive to your return. :);)

ONT-CA, the HOHO just to 7,30pm, to go to the San Carlos Fortress to see the cannon shot ceremony, just have cab ?, : Confuso:

LIZ54, A very good and complete review, the valuation of the ship is the hope to find a 3Stars. Some doubts, restaurant tables, the 8 selection for the language makes the maitre? or we can order table?. At breakfast, fruit juice is natural? has cost ?; and the internet is throught pc boat, or I can bring my own tablet ?. : P : Cool:

Note to Liz 54 We booked in the fall through Transat. We spend the first 3 days in Havana at Iberostar Parque Centrale in Havana (includes breakfast), then board the ship for a week and finish up at the Melia Peninsula Varadero for 4 nights in a Junior Suite Elegance Club all inclusive. On the cruise we have a premium outside stateroom XD and the drink package. Hope this helps. It includes air, all transfers, and meals except lunch and dinner in Havana.

We have never been to Cuba and I am super excited. I think we will experience so much.

HI

BURM, Thank you for the websites, some useful, take the opportunity to wish you a good trip, I will be attentive to your return. :);)

ONT-CA, the HOHO just to 7,30pm, to go to the San Carlos Fortress to see the cannon shot ceremony, just have cab ?, : Confuso:

LIZ54, A very good and complete review, the valuation of the ship is the hope to find a 3Stars. Some doubts, restaurant tables, the 8 selection for the language makes the maitre? or we can order table?. At breakfast, fruit juice is natural? has cost ?; and the internet is throught pc boat, or I can bring my own tablet ?. : P : Cool:

No extra cost for the juice, and you can bring your tablet for the internet. I am sure you can arrange dining that suits you with the Maitre D'

Note to Liz 54 We booked in the fall through Transat. We spend the first 3 days in Havana at Iberostar Parque Centrale in Havana (includes breakfast), then board the ship for a week and finish up at the Melia Peninsula Varadero for 4 nights in a Junior Suite Elegance Club all inclusive. On the cruise we have a premium outside stateroom XD and the drink package. Hope this helps. It includes air, all transfers, and meals except lunch and dinner in Havana.

We have never been to Cuba and I am super excited. I think we will experience so much.

That is exactly what we wanted but they did not have it as a package last spring. We booked each independently. Will look into that for next year!!

The HOHO bus will not help you in this case. But when you leave the cruise ship terminal building and turn left you are but a short walk to the Terminal de Ferris, the ferry boat that can take you across the bay to Lanchita de Casablanca. From there you can walk to the fort. If walking is a problem, a taxi is the next best thing.

As to dining aboard the Cristal, the name of the maître d' is Carlos.

Hi all!

Geritol Gypsies ~ we board on the 20th too & I'd like to meet up on the ship at some point. Last year we went in a day ahead so took a cab from the bird sanctuary but did share a cab with another couple from the port to the airport. The posted rate was $30 US for 4 people.

I was watching videos on the Cuba cruise website getting in the mood for the trip. Lucky burm is escaping this weather & getting her 1st taste of Cuba tonight.

Have a nice day.

Hi all!

Well burm & DH have had a full day in Havana now, wonder how they're liking it. Got to love the temperature & change in colours from what we have here!;)

I noticed on the Cuba cruise home page they now have a little box at the top for Americans & Cubans or maybe it's always been there & I didn't notice.:confused:

DH & I were talking about another small ship we took back on Feb 15/92

called the MS Triton so I Googled it & see it was a Cunard ship, then a NCL & ended up with Louis who just sent it to the scrapyard in 2014.

I emailed my TA to book me 3 excursions so I hope I get them. I thought I better reserve in advance with only 24 cabins left to sell.

Hope everyone's doing fine & getting excited for our Cuban adventures.

hi all!

Well burm & dh have had a full day in havana now, wonder how they're liking it. Got to love the temperature & change in colours from what we have here!;)

lucky them

i noticed on the cuba cruise home page they now have a little box at the top for americans & cubans or maybe it's always been there & i didn't notice.:confused:

recent additions i believe

dh & i were talking about another small ship we took back on feb 15/92 called the ms triton so i googled it & see it was a cunard ship, then a ncl & ended up with louis who just sent it to the scrapyard in 2014.

not many small ships like the cristal remaining and we will miss them. I always think of the holland american logo when remembering ships, like the old princess royal or the sky then and now

i emailed my ta to book me 3 excursions so i hope i get them. I thought i better reserve in advance with only 24 cabins left to sell.

with so many comments about canceled tours due to disinterest we felt it best to wait until we get aboard to make a decision. But you might be right, jo

hope everyone's doing fine & getting excited for our cuban adventures.

can't come soon enough. And we feel so abandoned with so many leaving the board to go aboard... :d

~ jo ~ :)

chimo

Hi all!

Geritol Gypsies ~ we board on the 20th too & I'd like to meet up on the ship at some point. Last year we went in a day ahead so took a cab from the bird sanctuary but did share a cab with another couple from the port to the airport. The posted rate was $30 US for 4 people.

I was watching videos on the Cuba cruise website getting in the mood for the trip. Lucky burm is escaping this weather & getting her 1st taste of Cuba tonight.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for the reply and cab info. Hope we can meet up sometime on the cruise. Our cabin is 6110 so you can give us a call. We will be in MB for 3 days with a car before boarding. We have already booked our excursions, thanks to the reviews on this board.

See you soon!! Macey and Bob :)

Thanks for the reply and cab info. Hope we can meet up sometime on the cruise. Our cabin is 6110 so you can give us a call. We will be in MB for 3 days with a car before boarding. We have already booked our excursions, thanks to the reviews on this board.

See you soon!! Macey and Bob :)

Be aware that you will have to pay a departure tax when you depart by ship from Montego Bay if you stay longer than 24 hours, $20US each.

Have just submitted this review. Enjoy!

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to next week.

Is anyone here on the 9am flight to Havana from Toronto on Feb 16 with us?

also,

Does anyone want to meet for breakfast or after before our 11 am arrival to Cienfuegos?

HI again!

Kerri ~ i was wondering what time your flight is, a little later than ours is to Mo Bay. I hate getting up so early for a flight but OTOH it's nice to arrive early, I guess.;) Yours is with Transat too isn't it?

I'd be up for meeting some time after breakfast but before arrival to the port which I don't want to miss this time.

Geritol Gypsies ~ I've made note of your cabin number. Looks like a lot of us are on deck 6. My TA did book the 3 excursions I want so hope they're a go.

Ron (chimo?) ~ the ships are so big these days. That MS Triton only carried about 800 pax as I remember.

See you all soon, some sooner than others.:p

Jo, we can meet on deck somewhere to watch it come into port. I'll be wanting to look for a lighthouse if there is one. I have to pull my info printouts together and find all my SD cards for my camera.

Yes our flight is Air Transat. I'm wondering how many people on our plane will be on the ship transfer bus.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Edited by KandCsailing

Ron (chimo?) ~ ~ Jo ~ :)

Chimo (greeting), a greeting from the Inuktitut language of northern Canada, also used in some parts of Southern Ontario and Western Canada

Our own unique Canadian word for greeting, toasting, good will and, well, comradery. :)

Chimo (greeting), a greeting from the Inuktitut language of northern Canada, also used in some parts of Southern Ontario and Western Canada

Our own unique Canadian word for greeting, toasting, good will and, well, comradery. :)

Gee I better start using it. I've been in Southern Ontario for 47 years and never heard of it.

I'm up to finding 5 of my SD cards so far. Guess I ate the rest? :confused:

Camera batteries are charging also.

Chimo!

Kerri ~ that sounds like a good idea getting together on deck for the sail in.

Wow that's a lot of SD cards you have! Looking forward to seeing some amazing photos from you.

I searched this thread & the roll calls but can't find anybody who sets sail tomorrow but in case there is Bon Voyage!

Here's some recent reviews from TA with some interesting dining info.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6858809-Louis_Cristal_Cuba_Cruise-Cruises.htm

Have a nice day.

Chimo!

Here's some recent reviews from TA with some interesting dining info.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k6858809-Louis_Cristal_Cuba_Cruise-Cruises.htm

I'm not surprised that you were not familiar with Chimo, as we have not met a lot who were. But I like the idea of it because, if the Danes have "Skol", the Brits have "Cheers", the Quebecois have "Salute", so should we make use of our very own "Chimo".

Thanks for the TA postings. The dining room times have me a little confused. If you are permitted to alter dining times from one day to the next, how do they control seating and volume of passengers? I fall into the category of Buffet Baulking and I still do not know if the dining room is open for lunch. Certainly hope so. Breakfast is one thing....

By the sounds of things the Cubans involved in dealing with the now increased number of visitors are seeing $$$ signs. Hope they don't ruin it for themselves. I hate haggling when prices are so reasonable but once we accept 10 the next move will be 15 and then on to 20. I wonder if they know the story of the Golden Egg Goose?

If ever there was a time to be aboard the Cristal it is NOW!!! What a terrible winter (again).

Chimo

Edited by ONT-CA

I have posted a fairly complete cruise and Cuba review here http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=271205

Unfortunately the photo links do not appear to be working (they were working when I tested them).:mad:

I would suggest to anyone reading the other recent strongly negative reviews and anyone contemplating doing this cruise - IT IS NOT A CUNARD LINE CRUISE!. It is a 25 year old converted Mediterranean ferry staffed with a large proportion of enthusiastic Cuban nationals. If you go with 5 star expectations you will not enjoy yourself. This is an adventure cruise. Take it as it is and you will have a ball. It is always amazing to read what some people will complain about when they are supposed to be on holiday.

Cheers

1790181708_havanacristalsmlst.jpg.6c2b666bfd643ecdda5f14f339b9cbf3.jpg

1671980107_havanaharboursmlst.jpg.ca0dcf536a52241cfeec3e1c3f93ed8a.jpg

Just wanted to wish anyone leaving soon a bon voyage! Wish we were going with you! I know you will have a great time.

One thing I didn't mention before. For some reason I have collected many of the tiny toiletries from the hotels we have stayed in over the years. I brought a big bag full of them with us, and asked the tour guide where it would be best to hand them out. My husband and I meant to save some for other stops, but I have a real hard time saying no, so gave everything away at the first stop. In hindsight, I wish we would have left some for other tours, but the guide said this was one of the poorer stops and would be very appreciated by them. We had soap, shampoo, and lotion with us. We were asked (by playing "charades" with them!) for these things many times on other tours.

Again, have a great trip!

Sandy