!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

We did teppa.. on the Dawn. Everyone one else was one group of friends, I wish we had known that to begin with. Before I booked I explained that I was allergic to soy and would that be a problem ... they said no and the chef modified a bit so that I could eat the rice and steak. He then got angry with his helpers as my food contaminated his utensils and they had to be washed. The only thing that might have been different was that they used real butter on the steak. It was very uncomfortable, but the food was amazingly good. jan

Gambee I would if I were you write a letter to NCL, they not watching Peter Max's attitude towards the passengers, they should know what your experience was when you approached him to say hello. If I see him on my cruise, I go up to him and ask him why does he always paint the same stuff over and over, Im tired of the same ole...:D

Hi Gambee you are doing an amazing juob. As far as Perter sh--head goes I would have exspected nothing less from you. You are surely the better man. As my dh always says just keep smiling its drives them crazy. I will not be buying anything that has his name on it while onboard.

Jan In Maine: That must of been an uncomfortable even, but I am sure the food made up for it. =)

Janeyzee: The ice cream was very yummy, green tea ice cream is one of my favorite ones.

melody hounddog: it's cool, it happened and I got over it fairly fast. Some people are just like that.

lyndamr: Writing a letter requires me to relive the entire even again, plus something tells me that NCL is following this thread. He will get his exposure no worries ;)

fivegirl: Yup, thats Gambee!

Blosoom: That is correct, no jewelry what so ever can be worn in the water slides.

bermuda8553: Thank you =). That is how I felt, but after that I did not looked at his art any more.

That is me starting my origami

DSC07625_zps289ea01b.jpg

End result, what do you think?

DSC07630_zps37991cd6.jpg

OMG, this made me laugh Gambee! During my venture into Teppanaki, I was given the 'expert' origami creature to fold and create. Ummmm, let's just say that didn't go as well as your masterpiece went.

At the end of the meal, we finally asked the maitre d' to help us out and even he had trouble. The three of us were in tears from the laughter. I have a photo of my little dragon somewhere. He made it all the way home but then my daughter decided he needed to be unfolded. LOL!

Thanks for bringing back an awesome memory:D

Edited by kerrytens

Your pictures are absolutely wonderful. We are sailing Breakaway in October, and you have us extremely anxious. Your shots have such clarity and give us a feel for the personality of the ship - we enjoyed the color of Gem, but this seems to have a more classy, yet not snooty feel. I am enjoying all the commentary going along with your pictures, and greatly appreciate the time you are taking to complete with such detail. I have friends who are more interested in your pictures only - do you have a website or a place where you will have all the pictures posted? I need to hit each individual link to see them - worth it!! Again - thanks for a great job!!

cruzinlady1947: You're very welcome ;)

Tyron: Yeah my table mates were looking at me like WTH is he doing, the worst part is that it felt apart in minutes.

kerrytens: Glad I could bring back memories, this was my first time making origami. I was very happy with the results :)

vcinsanity1523: If you look at the pictures you can see how two tables are always connected to each other. I think each table holds about 8-9 people, maybe you could ask for two adjacent tables and be sat at the same time. That should be a blast, you get two performances!

treachery: yes, my pictures are available in my Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/Cruisinggambee

Day 4, Bermuda!

We woke to some light vibrations, this is my guess. I think overnight the ship slowed down to a crawling speed as we were so close to the port. At around 6:30 we started moving faster and that is what caused the light vibrations (but nothing like when we left NY).

I took a few pictures.

The sun was barely out.

DSC07760_zpsac86c89f.jpg

Pilot.

DSC07762_zpsfa3d41ea.jpg

X Summit

DSC07763_zps3256fba8.jpg

DSC07766_zps59b85d9f.jpg

DSC07771_zps36905557.jpg

DSC07775_zpsb1d220c5.jpg

As you go into Bermuda the ship zigzags a lot! This is a man made canal, and the only way for the large ships to enter Bermuda. The reason why there are so many shipwrecks around the island is because the coral reef extenders for miles. In the past the first 40 families that settled into Bermuda used to light up fires to trick ships into pulling into the island to resupply. Most ships passing by though it was a safe harbor and they would attempt to pull in, once they shipwrecked the locals would go and steal everything from the ship including the wood.

The 40 males of the families were called the 40 thieves. With all the wood they would build ships and sell these ships, that was the main economy of the island back then. Soon enough the queen found out about it and attempted to put a stop to this. In any case those first 40 families are now the richest families of the island, and their decedents pretty much own most of the profitable businesses in the island.

The main income of the island right now is insurance reassurance, which means that companies like allstate, state farm and such go there to insure themselves. Tourism only accounts for 7% of their GDP, although they are hoping for the number to increase with the Breakaway and Quantum. The reason why tourism has such a small percentage of the GDP is because of how expensive it is to travel to Bermuda. Traveling in a cruise ship is actually very affordable when compared to the Hotels and airfare.

By the way housing in Bermuda is insanely expensive.

Another neat fact, all the houses in Bermuda are self dependent with water. All the roofs are sprayed with a neutralizing material and the rain water is stored into the tanks under the house. The dry months are during summer and they have to be very careful with how much water they use. They say that 2-3 minute showers are very common and there are a lot of other water saving techniques. If you run out of water you can refill your tank from the city, but it costs about $130 to fill it. So they rather save their water.

Most large hotels have their own desalination systems so that they don't have to worry about that problem.

Anyway I learned all this info in one excursion, but I though I share it now :).

You could see a few people out on their balconies.

DSC07777_zpsf7c07e63.jpg

DSC07778_zps9f716fff.jpg

DSC07779_zps09c9ab48.jpg

DSC07781_zpsde9e8263.jpg

And I am almost sure that is Tobacco bay.

DSC07792_zpscbc150f2.jpg

DSC07794_zps04bb1487.jpg

DSC07797_zpsec218a5a.jpg

I went back to bed and slept a little more until we docked. I woke up when we were already tied up.

Up until the week before the ability of Breakaway being able to dock was in question. The problem was that Bermuda took their sweet time to start repairing and expanding the dock, and as a result it was not ready in time. Actually when we docked they tied the ship to the old damaged dock, they told NCL that as a precaution the engines were to be kept running 24/7 just in case. I am not sure which ship it was, but I believe the last year one NCL ship broke loose from the dock.

It was quite apparent that they were no where near being completed, actually I think the project is scheduled to be finished in October. In the meantime they will work on while the ships are in port. And yes, there is noise while the construction is going on, the good thing is that they stop working around 5pm.

Where is the sky, Where is the ocean? Neat huh?

DSC07798_zps454f2fdc.jpg

DSC07799_zps41f76a30.jpg

LOOK AT THAT WATER!!!!!

DSC07800_zpsc3f73d75.jpg

Bermuda Museum.

DSC07801_zps75ce9fef.jpg

DSC07802_zps74bb21f3.jpg

Love this pic! Just wait for the one I took at night!

DSC07803_zps0a44a80b.jpg

This pictures is Crazy! Notice how the blue os the ocean almost blends with the sky?

DSC07804_zpsf377116c.jpg

So anyway, I guess we got ready and decided to hit the buffet for the first time since we boarded. Crazy right, I could not believe that I had not seen it yet. The buffet is huge, possibly the most seating that I have seen in any ship. There is one huge problem with the buffet. Instead of different islands to distribute people, they have two straight lines, one in each side. And it can get crazy crowded when getting some stuff, specially the really frequented food.

But overall it was the same food that was found in the MDR and Oshehaan's for breakfast. There were plenty of options and everything was very good, no complains there. Also finding a table was never an issue.

DSC07805_zps3b906f81.jpg

DSC07806_zps4386ab0b.jpg

Hi Gambee,

Your right NCL will read about Peter Max. About the napkin on your shirt and lap we are Italian and our grandfathers always did that when they ate their bowl of spaghetti, in fact, two weeks ago at an Italian restaurant, the owner was sitting with his family and he had the very same napkins on him also so your not the only one, just smart not to get something on your clothes.;)

Deck 5 has really wide corridors, but they get narrow again towards the front of the ship.

DSC07820_zpsa7ed6a5f.jpg

Finally outside in Bermuda with some Amazing weather!

DSC07821_zpsd44a6763.jpg

DSC07826_zpscf456d5a.jpg

DSC07828_zpse399a271.jpg

This store is actually reasonably priced. It is the store in the terminal.

DSC07830_zps61a9df69.jpg

We decided to buy our two day transportation pass right there. There was a little line, and it was a bit disorganized. But within 15 minutes we had our 2 day passes on hand. Remeber the pass is good for both buses and ferries.

DSC07831_zpsd0652b7d.jpg