!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Tipping

Ok so let me start with tipping since it was brought up by another member. If you know me, you know that I tend to over tip pretty much everywhere. However this trip was a special one, I never made it to the MDR for dinner. So I ended up tipping a lot more. I usually just tipped 20% on the bill for the specialty restaurants.

Here is something very interesting, while RCCL and X claim that they include the extra gratuities in the cover charge. NCL does not, I approached two servers and asked them if any tip was included in the cover charge of the food. They both told me no, that other than the daily tip that you pay they do not get anything more from the cover of the food that NCL charges. Then again I thought the prices of NCL are slightly lower than the ones in X and RCCL, so I guess you can count the little extra into the tipping area.

I also tipped more in Teppa as we tipped the chef independently from the server, and I actually think we way over tipped there. But we had an amazing time, it was well deserved money.

But again, tipping is a personal thing. I was talking to a European couple, and they refused to tip more. They said that they were paying so much in tips already, and there was no way that would give more. I think the topic came because I was talking to the server and he saw my extra tip.

But I think this concept works great for me, I loved the bar food so much that I think my next times on NCL I will spend most of my dinners eating in wasabi, the noodle bar and the raw bar. I absolutely love all the eating options that NCL offers, I think this is possibly one of the biggest selling points of NCL in my book. But I can see how this is not for all.

I also heard people leave a few bucks in Oshehaan's, but the one time I was there I had no cash on me.

Please understand that this is how I choose to tip, I am by no means telling you to tip like that.

I always tip a little at specialty restaurants even though they say that the price of the specialty restaurants include the tip. I asked guest services (I know....I know....not your favorite words! LOL) one time about this and they did say that the price of the specialty restaurants DO include tips, however, if we feel we had exceptional service feel free to leave a few dollars. They also told me that the servers in all the specialty restaurants move around.....sometimes one specialty restaurant....sometimes another specialty restaurant.....sometimes one of the MDRs and that the gratuity that is required per guest gets divided up with them as well.

You need to look at Ernie's photos from the Disney Dream, he did a great job with those. It will make you want to pick that ship for your next cruise!

Thank you for that! The DISNEY DREAM is truly a dream, and it's hard to top Disney Cruise Line for a large-ship cruise line. They are expensive, but worth every penny. The quality and attention to detail are second to none.

Ernie

That's great to know! Did you have to look off port side? We are on the starboard side deck 12 s6. There are MANY more sailings before mine. Hoping to hear whether or not fireworks are viewable from that balcony. We'll have our daughters (9&7) with us. We've been spoiled with watching weekly fireworks at my in-laws beach house. We always get the girls ready for bed, watch the fireworks, then straight to bed! Already know we can enjoy the music from our balcony, it would be GREAT to also see the fireworks! Especially after seeing those crowds!:eek:

Yes, most of the fireworks were off the port. We're in the starboard deck 12 S6 in March and I really doubt if we'll be able to see much of the fireworks. We did have a group of people on the balcony for the fireworks and most stood at the aft railing or sat at the table that was near the port railing.

Yes, most of the fireworks were off the port. We're in the starboard deck 12 S6 in March and I really doubt if we'll be able to see much of the fireworks. We did have a group of people on the balcony for the fireworks and most stood at the aft railing or sat at the table that was near the port railing.

I'll be curious to see how the fireworks compare to those on Disney Cruise Line. On DCL they are very impressive, integrated with an entire show performed on deck and synchronized to music. On the DISNEY WONDER, Mickey Mouse even comes sliding down from the smoke stack. It's pretty cool.

Amazing review, thank you!!

Interesting to note that if you'd reviewed your own cabin and had the service that NCL is known for, it would have beaten Allure.

I don't think I'm heading back to RCi anytime soon, but knowing how much you loved Allure, that says a lot for Breakaway.

Thanks again!

Gambee, Thank you for a fabulous review. Your pictures of Bermuda were

beautiful. Seeing them brought back many memories of our visits there.

139 days until we board, we can't wait. It has been a pleasure following

your review.

Elaine

Very informative and fun review, it was great to travel along with you. I like your format, taking day by day and summing up at the end.

I must say that I felt bad for Gambees' Mom, being sick on that last day. Yikes! you certainly tempted fate, eating a seafood pie on a rocky sea day.

I am looking forward to your next adventure.

Do all the water slides have these min/max weights or only the drop slides? (do you have to get weighed for EVERY slide??)

Thanks for all the great info!

I have read in other threads that only the free fall slide has the 99 lb minimum weight requirement.

Gambee, forgive me if I missed it somewhere along the way, or if this has been asked and answered previously....but where did you come up with the moniker "gambee," and what does it mean? Thanks....

Hi

Gambee explains all this at the beginning of his Allure review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1737751

:)

Thanks again for another wonderful review, Gambee!:) Now go and enjoy some well-deserved rest.

We sail on Breeze in July and I can't wait. Maybe I won't take any pictures but will just wait for your review in August.:D:cool::eek: Just kidding.

Heather

Thank you for that! The DISNEY DREAM is truly a dream, and it's hard to top Disney Cruise Line for a large-ship cruise line. They are expensive, but worth every penny. The quality and attention to detail are second to none.

Ernie

I have been on the Dream as well. I really enjoyed the ship it was very beautiful and did have touches that only disney pays attention too. Disney's private island was my favorite part of the vacation. I enjoyed having the same server every night as well. Just like everything else there are pros and cons. I didn't like the bars as much on the dream and i also felt that the entertainment was very good, but being a disney boat has to keep children engaged. I am very excited to go on breakaway i really enjoyed my last cruise with NCL and the breakaway sure looks to be a beautiful ship i cannot wait to step foot on her. I like the option to choose where and what i want to eat on NCL rather than going wherever they tell me to go. I like having specialty restaurants that offer more options as well. Would i go on the Dream or Fantasy again? In a heartbeat, but do I think I like them better than breakaway? Only time will tell. Maybe that will be my Cruise Review when i return from vacation i will compare the Breakaway to the Dream. Only if people are interested in hearing that of course

Gambee - I'm exhausted just reading all of this, I can't imagine how you feel after writing, editing photos and posting.

From a Breakaway addict....THANK YOU.

We're sailing on the first sailing to the Bahamas and I'm actually sorry we're not going to Bermuda, especially after your amazing photos of the island. We're sailing with my brother and SIL who sailed Allure so it'll be interesting to hear their view. While they've cruised, they're not "cruisers" in that they basically do no research, show up, have fun and go home. So their comparison may not be fair!

Thank you so much for the amazing review and information. Just amazing.

I am a lurker, but I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed this review. I really felt like I was there with you.

I have started planning my own cruise even though I am 5 months away.

I have totally hi-jacked your exel spreadsheet. my husband thinks I'm crazy.

Thank you for your time and effort. The pictures were wonderful. You are amazing.

I have been on the Dream as well. I really enjoyed the ship it was very beautiful and did have touches that only disney pays attention too. Disney's private island was my favorite part of the vacation. I enjoyed having the same server every night as well. Just like everything else there are pros and cons. I didn't like the bars as much on the dream and i also felt that the entertainment was very good, but being a disney boat has to keep children engaged. I am very excited to go on breakaway i really enjoyed my last cruise with NCL and the breakaway sure looks to be a beautiful ship i cannot wait to step foot on her. I like the option to choose where and what i want to eat on NCL rather than going wherever they tell me to go. I like having specialty restaurants that offer more options as well. Would i go on the Dream or Fantasy again? In a heartbeat, but do I think I like them better than breakaway? Only time will tell. Maybe that will be my Cruise Review when i return from vacation i will compare the Breakaway to the Dream. Only if people are interested in hearing that of course

Sounds like NCL and the BREAKAWAY will be a great choice for you! There is no reason one ship/line has to be better than the other. Each can be enjoyed equally for different reasons. One thing I have discovered after almost 100 cruises on just about every line is that no one ship or one cruise line is going to be perfect. They each have something to offer but they all have room for improvement as well. I try to rate each experience on its own merits and not compare all the time (yes this can be difficult!). Loyalists to one line often seem obsessed with "their" line coming out ahead and being the best. To me this is a huge waste of time. Enjoy them all for what they offer and realize no one ship is going to be the end-all-be-all of cruising. Variety is the spice of life!

I think BREAKAWAY looks awesome, but hardly perfect. I'm not sure I will get a chance to sail on her, but the inaugural cruise on GETAWAY from Southampton to Miami is in the works. I can't wait to experience this amazing new class of ship!

Ernie

Sounds like NCL and the BREAKAWAY will be a great choice for you! There is no reason one ship/line has to be better than the other. Each can be enjoyed equally for different reasons. One thing I have discovered after almost 100 cruises on just about every line is that no one ship or one cruise line is going to be perfect. They each have something to offer but they all have room for improvement as well. I try to rate each experience on its own merits and not compare all the time (yes this can be difficult!). Loyalists to one line often seem obsessed with "their" line coming out ahead and being the best. To me this is a huge waste of time. Enjoy them all for what they offer and realize no one ship is going to be the end-all-be-all of cruising. Variety is the spice of life!

I think BREAKAWAY looks awesome, but hardly perfect. I'm not sure I will get a chance to sail on her, but the inaugural cruise on GETAWAY from Southampton to Miami is in the works. I can't wait to experience this amazing new class of ship!

Ernie

Absolutely as long as all goes well on Breakaway, Getaway will be in the works for next year as well :D No cruise is every going to be perfect because each line has something that they specifically bring to the table that is better then their competition and also things they are not as good at. Gambee has pointed this out to us clearly in his conclusion.

WHEW -- finally caught up (AGAIN)! :D

Thanks for taking us all along on your Breakaway/Bermuda journey. It's been a pleasure!

Same toilet paper as other lines?

DSC09444_zpse647d506.jpg

Same paper we've seen on EVERY cruise! (why we take our own... ;))

When I was up there I took a little break and went to get pictures of the guidelines for the water slides.

DSC09519_zpscc73b8da.jpg

You can't enjoy the slides if you have a BROKEN HEART? :eek: ;)

Tom

Tipping

Ok so let me start with tipping since it was brought up by another member. If you know me, you know that I tend to over tip pretty much everywhere. However this trip was a special one, I never made it to the MDR for dinner. So I ended up tipping a lot more. I usually just tipped 20% on the bill for the specialty restaurants.

Here is something very interesting, while RCCL and X claim that they include the extra gratuities in the cover charge. NCL does not, I approached two servers and asked them if any tip was included in the cover charge of the food. They both told me no, that other than the daily tip that you pay they do not get anything more from the cover of the food that NCL charges. Then again I thought the prices of NCL are slightly lower than the ones in X and RCCL, so I guess you can count the little extra into the tipping area.

I also tipped more in Teppa as we tipped the chef independently from the server, and I actually think we way over tipped there. But we had an amazing time, it was well deserved money.

But again, tipping is a personal thing. I was talking to a European couple, and they refused to tip more. They said that they were paying so much in tips already, and there was no way that would give more. I think the topic came because I was talking to the server and he saw my extra tip.

But I think this concept works great for me, I loved the bar food so much that I think my next times on NCL I will spend most of my dinners eating in wasabi, the noodle bar and the raw bar. I absolutely love all the eating options that NCL offers, I think this is possibly one of the biggest selling points of NCL in my book. But I can see how this is not for all.

I also heard people leave a few bucks in Oshehaan's, but the one time I was there I had no cash on me.

Please understand that this is how I choose to tip, I am by no means telling you to tip like that.

Any idea where the tips go if someone never eats in a MDR? Do the tips just automatically get split between ALL servers and stewards!?

Any idea where the tips go if someone never eats in a MDR? Do the tips just automatically get split between ALL servers and stewards!?

They go to all the servers and stewards always including those in the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

AWESOME!!

Everyday I log on mutliple times to check out your review and updates!

I am in love with your pictures and everything that you have written!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this.

Will Be sailing Breakaway in 89 days, I can't wait!!

Kerri Ann

Absolutely LOVED your review Gambee!! You do such a wonderful job and Im sad its over! I enjoy getting to work and spending a couple hours in paradise:)

Can you tell me where you got your clips that you place on the balcony chairs to dry clothing? We are oh holiday next month sailing the Allure and these look like a must!

Thanks in advance:)

Absolutely LOVED your review Gambee!! You do such a wonderful job and Im sad its over! I enjoy getting to work and spending a couple hours in paradise:)

Can you tell me where you got your clips that you place on the balcony chairs to dry clothing? We are oh holiday next month sailing the Allure and these look like a must!

Thanks in advance:)

Those clips are clothespins. The plastic or wooden ones work well. I always bring some with us when we cruise.