Priority Boarding, non suite party members

psycomac

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but I dug around a bit in the boards and couldn't find anything addressing this specific question, nor do I seem to be finding answers in the couple of threads I've posted in...

I'll be booking a Haven aft PH for myself, husband and 4 yr old but for my husband's 2 19 year old sons, will be booking a non-Haven cabin (probably interior, possibly aft balcony). Will they still be able to have priority embarkation/debarkation since they are in our 'party' and their room was paid for under the same credit card as the Haven room? I'm not so much concerned about the other 'perks' associated with the room because honestly they can just hang out in our room whenever they want to and we probably won't use the 'Haven Retreat' area all that much anyway. But I don't want us to be split up during embarkation and have them have to wait or have us not use the priority perk.

Thanks in advance for any answers that you give!

You can always just board with them and not do the priority afforded by your suite status.

ETA, I have had non-suite friends join us during embarkation in the past...but the last couple of cruises, the VIP lounge has been packed. I wouldn't bring non-suite people with me in he future as it isn't fair to the people who paid for that privilege.

You can always just board with them and not do the priority afforded by your suite status.

ETA, I have had non-suite friends join us during embarkation in the past...but the last couple of cruises, the VIP lounge has been packed. I wouldn't bring non-suite people with me in he future as it isn't fair to the people who paid for that privilege.

non-suite friends that you paid for their room? or just non-suite friends joining you on the cruise. Honestly, the only reason they're not going to be booked with us in the same room is because I can't book an aft PH with 5 people (even though my 4 year old can sleep in a chair and takes up less room than a church mouse). I'm still 'paying for the privilege' as you say because I'm still footing the bill for both rooms, though I understand what you mean by people 'tagging along' when they didn't pay for 'VIP' perks.

If they are family members on your reservation, they should be able to board with you. But they won't be able to go to Cagney's/Haven restaurant for lunch, and they won't be able to share in other suite perks.

If they are family members on your reservation, they should be able to board with you. But they won't be able to go to Cagney's/Haven restaurant for lunch, and they won't be able to share in other suite perks.

Thank you, and yah I know they won't be able to do all the VIP stuffs that we'll be entitled to but like I said, most of that just really won't be an issue. My husband is twitching as it is with regard to this vacation (he's not the vacation type and certainly not the OMFG HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST?! type, but lucky for me the inheritance of a very dear relative who is looking down and smiling in approval at my frivolity is footing this bill so he can't say boo about it lol) so we probably won't do alot of the 'out of room' luxury stuff. But I'm for sure going to take advantage of having a fluffy pillow and plenty of half n half for coffee in my mini fridge lol (and juice for my 4 yr old lol....and cookies....and fruit snacks lol)

non-suite friends that you paid for their room? or just non-suite friends joining you on the cruise. Honestly, the only reason they're not going to be booked with us in the same room is because I can't book an aft PH with 5 people (even though my 4 year old can sleep in a chair and takes up less room than a church mouse). I'm still 'paying for the privilege' as you say because I'm still footing the bill for both rooms

The second room you paid for is not a suite, therefore the occupants are not entitled to suite perks. I don't quite understand your reasoning as to why they should get suite perks when they are not in a suite, no matter who paid for the non-suite room.

If you want the perks for the whole family, book another suite and you won't have any issues.

The second room you paid for is not a suite, therefore the occupants are not entitled to suite perks. I don't quite understand your reasoning as to why they should get suite perks when they are not in a suite, no matter who paid for the non-suite room.

If you want the perks for the whole family, book another suite and you won't have any issues.

the 'reasoning' behind wondering if they would board with us is because not only are they in the same reservation but they are family members and I wasn't sure if they would be split up or not. I don't think it's an unreasonable question to ask as there are probably a plethora of people who book a suit for the adults and a non suite for the kids. But thank you for the aggression with which you replied to the query. Very much appreciated :)

You really need to discuss this with your TA/PCC before you get your heart set. Two 19 year olds will not be allowed to share a cabin. Either you or your husband will have to be in that cabin...which will make one of you ineligible for the perks that NCL gives to their suite guests.

You really need to discuss this with your TA/PCC before you get your heart set. Two 19 year olds will not be allowed to share a cabin. Either you or your husband will have to be in that cabin...which will make one of you ineligible for the perks that NCL gives to their suite guests.

That is an excellent point, being that there has to be someone over 21 as a registered guest in the room...Although as mentioned, I've seen tons of posts of people who have reserved balconies/suites/etc for the 'adults' and lesser category rooms for the kids and have had those things worked out in-so-far as getting keys assigned...

But thank you for reminding me that I'd need to get that worked out before hand.

That is an excellent point, being that there has to be someone over 21 as a registered guest in the room...Although as mentioned, I've seen tons of posts of people who have reserved balconies/suites/etc for the 'adults' and lesser category rooms for the kids and have had those things worked out in-so-far as getting keys assigned...

But thank you for reminding me that I'd need to get that worked out before hand.

True...you can exchange keys...but you can't exchange the perks that NCL gives to their suite guests. For example, if your husband is registered in the non-suite cabin, you could have him and the 19yo in the suite trade keys, but your husband will not have the properly colored suite card, won't be on the list of suite guests held by the butlers and concierge, and will not be allowed to partake in suite guest perks (such as breakfast/lunch in Cagney's).

So you can trade keys, but you can't give perks to another guest...even if you paid for them and even if they are somebody that you know.

True...you can exchange keys...but you can't exchange the perks that NCL gives to their suite guests. For example, if your husband is registered in the non-suite cabin, you could have him and the 19yo in the suite trade keys, but your husband will not have the properly colored suite card, won't be on the list of suite guests held by the butlers and concierge, and will not be allowed to partake in suite guest perks (such as breakfast/lunch in Cagney's).

So you can trade keys, but you can't give perks to another guest...even if you paid for them and even if they are somebody that you know.

I'm reading on not only NCL's site but also some travel sites that say exceptions can be (and usually are) made for families travelling in multiple cabins as far as having at least one person over 21 in each reserved cabin...so that's probably good news on at least that front.

I'm reading on not only NCL's site but also some travel sites that say exceptions can be (and usually are) made for families travelling in multiple cabins as far as having at least one person over 21 in each reserved cabin...so that's probably good news on at least that front.

I've never seen that myself. Do you have links to where you are reading this?

It just seems kind of odd considering that rules such as this are specifically directed toward families in order that people aren't leaving children in a cabin own their own withouit adult supervision. If NCL were to "usually" make exceptions, then it would just make more sense to get rid of the rule.

These rules and policies are in place for a reason. Even though we may not understand or agree with that reason, we still need to respect the rule. Try not to waste a lot of time figuring out ways to circumvent the rules. The inevitable disappointment can't be worth the aggravation.

I've never seen that myself. Do you have links to where you are reading this?

It just seems kind of odd considering that rules such as this are specifically directed toward families in order that people aren't leaving children in a cabin own their own withouit adult supervision. If NCL were to "usually" make exceptions, then it would just make more sense to get rid of the rule.

These rules and policies are in place for a reason. Even though we may not understand or agree with that reason, we still need to respect the rule. Try not to waste a lot of time figuring out ways to circumvent the rules. The inevitable disappointment can't be worth the aggravation.

The travel sites (hotwire, expedia, etc) state on the part of the booking process that deals with age of travelers that in instances of married couples and families traveling in multiple cabins, exceptions can be made and on the NCL website in the FAQ section on age requirements it indicates married couples with proof of marriage and families traveling in connecting staterooms can be exceptions to this. It also says in both instances (web pages) to call for more information and/or confirmation.

Like I said when you initially pointed it out, it's something for me to get worked out prior to sailing, not try to circumvent after booking :)

well, crisis averted...his oldest is actually not 19 but 20 and will be 21 in december...and as luck would have it if i book *after* his birthday, the price for the suite i really want drops by $3,000 so I can afford to book them their own suite....no age requirement met and VIP perks for all :P haha..yay :D

I'm not certain that this is something that can be worked out ahead of time. It is probably at the discretion of the Norwegian cruise line personnel who are manning the gates at the priority check in as to whom they will allow through. I would just make up a plan as to how you want to proceed if the security personnel choose not to allow your sons to go through on the priority check, since as far as I know there is no official policy guiding this situation. It's tough for the cruise lines, since they don't want to split families, but if everyone uses priority boarding, there isn't as much incentive for people to pay for suites or to be loyal to one cruiseline (I'd consider priority boarding and free internet the most important perks for travel).

Hey, I'm glad to see your update, and it's great everything can work out! Have a great trip!

the 'reasoning' behind wondering if they would board with us is because not only are they in the same reservation but they are family members and I wasn't sure if they would be split up or not. I don't think it's an unreasonable question to ask as there are probably a plethora of people who book a suit for the adults and a non suite for the kids. But thank you for the aggression with which you replied to the query. Very much appreciated :)

So you didn't get the answer you wanted and you label the truth as aggression? As I stated, suite perks are for passengers who paid for them. If exceptions are made it won't be long before 500 people crowd into the priority boarding lounge and Cagney's for breakfast and lunch.

I gave you your best solution, book a suite for the kids and you will have no issues. You seem to insist on wanting perks for passengers who did not pay for them.

If you don't want to book them in a suite you can most certainly board with them during regular embarkation.

So you didn't get the answer you wanted and you label the truth as aggression? As I stated, suite perks are for passengers who paid for them. If exceptions are made it won't be long before 500 people crowd into the priority boarding lounge and Cagney's for breakfast and lunch.

I gave you your best solution, book a suite for the kids and you will have no issues. You seem to insist on wanting perks for passengers who did not pay for them.

If you don't want to book them in a suite you can most certainly board with them during regular embarkation.

it was not *what* you said but the way in which you said it that I labeled as aggressive. Regardless, things are working out so it is what it is. Again, your contribution was appreciated, thank you :)

We have the same dilemma as the OP. Booked the OS and adjoining BB for 5 of us. We have Haven perks in OS no perks for BB. Could have booked the adjoining PS to get suite perks for all but did not want 2 bow balconies. 2 bedroom Haven suites actually would be cheaper. We prefer 3 balconies (1 bow, 2 starboard), 2 1/2 baths and 3 bottles of liquor, mixers and sodas. The only other option for more square footage is the GV and that was not in our budget. Too bad NCL doesn't allow adjoining cabins to purchase suite/Haven passes for these situations.

Embarkation, yes, why not?

OP knew suite perks are not offered to non-suite guests.

Debarkation? Not sure, but if you carry off your bags yourself you can leave the ship whenever.

Seems to be getting off topic a bit here. Have a great trip!

Have you considered the 2 bedroom suite? Yes, it would cost a little more than the penthouse, but it gives you sleeping areas for 6. As an added tip, 2 br suites #16001 and 17001 are larger than their sisters. Then you can all embark and enjoy the suite life together. Just a thought

well, crisis averted...his oldest is actually not 19 but 20 and will be 21 in december...and as luck would have it if i book *after* his birthday, the price for the suite i really want drops by $3,000 so I can afford to book them their own suite....no age requirement met and VIP perks for all :P haha..yay :D

Congratulations! Have a wonderful cruise! :D

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but I dug around a bit in the boards and couldn't find anything addressing this specific question, nor do I seem to be finding answers in the couple of threads I've posted in...

I'll be booking a Haven aft PH for myself, husband and 4 yr old but for my husband's 2 19 year old sons, will be booking a non-Haven cabin (probably interior, possibly aft balcony). Will they still be able to have priority embarkation/debarkation since they are in our 'party' and their room was paid for under the same credit card as the Haven room? I'm not so much concerned about the other 'perks' associated with the room because honestly they can just hang out in our room whenever they want to and we probably won't use the 'Haven Retreat' area all that much anyway. But I don't want us to be split up during embarkation and have them have to wait or have us not use the priority perk.

Thanks in advance for any answers that you give!

I know you have already worked this out but just want to add that if you planned on using your credit card for the boys cabin they MUST check in with you at the suite/VIP check-in to have your CC applied to their account. We just had to do it in NYC since our friends were booked with us in our cabins to get the AARP rate and only had one credit card to use for both cabins. If you try the general check-in line they will have to stop when they realize some are VIP's and they cannot complete their check-in so you'll have to go to the other line anyway.

Embarkation, yes, why not?

OP knew suite perks are not offered to non-suite guests.

Debarkation? Not sure, but if you carry off your bags yourself you can leave the ship whenever.

Seems to be getting off topic a bit here. Have a great trip!

Thanks, yes exactly. I don't want all the extra amenities while onboard to extend to the non-suite guests, I just want us all to be able to board the ship together. Debarkation I wasn't really all too concerned about because honestly we won't be in a huge rush to get off the ship lol

Have you considered the 2 bedroom suite? Yes, it would cost a little more than the penthouse, but it gives you sleeping areas for 6. As an added tip, 2 br suites #16001 and 17001 are larger than their sisters. Then you can all embark and enjoy the suite life together. Just a thought

I did and it looks like we might have to go that route anyway unfortunately. The reason I wanted to book the aft PH is because of the balcony. My husband and I (specifically my husband) aren't very 'gosh we love crowds!' kind of people and I was really looking forward to some quality time on our balcony. We've never been on a vacation before as a family and we can really use this time together. The 2BR villa is nice and would afford us the chance to all have the VIP perks (and probably would be cheaper in the long run than booking 2 separate rooms) but I really have my heart set on that balcony.

We have the same dilemma as the OP. Booked the OS and adjoining BB for 5 of us. We have Haven perks in OS no perks for BB. Could have booked the adjoining PS to get suite perks for all but did not want 2 bow balconies. 2 bedroom Haven suites actually would be cheaper. We prefer 3 balconies (1 bow, 2 starboard), 2 1/2 baths and 3 bottles of liquor, mixers and sodas. The only other option for more square footage is the GV and that was not in our budget. Too bad NCL doesn't allow adjoining cabins to purchase suite/Haven passes for these situations.

Exactly. The only reason we're able to book a suite at all is because my mother just passed away last week and I'm getting a fairly sizable inheritance from her estate. While this will afford us the chance to be pretty liberal with the budget on this, I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money trying to go and I don't want to wait longer than the end of this year to do it. I would love to book the DOS with the connecting CPH but it isn't available in that configuration during Oct, Nov, OR Dec and after that it's just too cold to go, thus we'd have to wait until next fall and I don't want to do that.

I know you have already worked this out but just want to add that if you planned on using your credit card for the boys cabin they MUST check in with you at the suite/VIP check-in to have your CC applied to their account. We just had to do it in NYC since our friends were booked with us in our cabins to get the AARP rate and only had one credit card to use for both cabins. If you try the general check-in line they will have to stop when they realize some are VIP's and they cannot complete their check-in so you'll have to go to the other line anyway.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we *do* anymore. My oldest step-son has finals the week of his birthday so he won't be able to travel then. I'm sort of back at square one. Going to have to call NCL and see what they say. But to know that they sort of *make* you take your entire party through the VIP line because of the credit card and not being able to process VIP guests in the non-VIP check-in line gives me a bit more peace of mind. Still, I'll be calling NCL as soon as our finances are in place to get all of this finalized with the booking.

Thanks to everyone for your posts, suggestions, and information :)

I'm surprised to hear this. Bookings are based on age at the time of sailing, not at the time of booking, so this should not have mattered. Strange.

However, I'm more surprised that you know that if you wait the price of the suite will drop by $3,000. I know a lot of people here who would kill for that kind of insight!

Archived