1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Kim, thanks for a great review. we will be sailing the Dream in September to San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turks.

I also have a Canon and love it! What kind of underwater camera should I get? I really want a digital one.

What part of Ohio are you from ? Just got back from Cleveland a few weeks ago.

Congrats on a new grandchild!

Great review as always....

We are leaving Carnival and trying NCL on our next cruise. (so the opposite of you)

Love the harsh honesty in your comparisons between the two lines.

Taking your info and pictures from this cruise and trying to read some of your older Western reviews for info on Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan and Belize.

Your reviews are amazingly informative with the sheer quantity and quality of info and pictures of each ship and port stop.

You are truly a credit to these boards and an immense help to hundreds of us trying to plan our cruises.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the effort and time you put into these reviews.

Bill

Wow, thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

Let me know if you have any questions after you have read my reviews from the various places. I would be happy to help if I can. :)

Have you ever been to Paradise Beach in Cozumel? What are your thoughts on Paradise vs. Chankanaab?

Sorry, I have not been to Paradise Beach in Cozumel before, so I can not comment on the differences. :)

Kim, thanks for a great review. we will be sailing the Dream in September to San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turks.

I also have a Canon and love it! What kind of underwater camera should I get? I really want a digital one.

What part of Ohio are you from ? Just got back from Cleveland a few weeks ago.

Congrats on a new grandchild!

Thanks so much for your comments. I envy you...going to San Juan, St Thomas and Grand Turks. I would have gave anything to went on that cruise, but they did not offer at my date of course. :rolleyes: Darn!!!

What kind of Canon do you have? Are you saying you have a DSLR Canon? Or the Canon D10? I assume not the D10 since it is an underwater camera.

I shoot with the Canon D10 and the Olympus Tough in all of the pictures in my reviews. I love them both but the Olympus is the newer one (I just purchased it 6 months ago) and I really like the features on it. It's a lot slimmer than the D10 also. I would check in to that one if you get a chance. I'm pretty happy with my results.

We are from Columbus, so you were a few hours away. :D

This review gets me so excited for my cruise in 11 days!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Thanks for taking the time ... I really enjoyed your review.

One thing... however... for next time.....

The GREEN Screen pic ... and your Sail and Sign picture are NOT the same thing. When you go on the Dream, your pic should have been taken THREE times.

1) Sail and Sign machine

2) Green Screen alone

3) Family Shot in front of the embarkation backdrop.

Maybe that is why your pics never showed up!!

Hopefully you will sail Carnival again, and learn from your first cruise. I can see it now... Plenty of cheesecake for all!!

Catrin

Do you think it's worth it doing an excursion in Costa Maya? Since you have to be up so early? I'm going on the same cruise

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Well, it's a matter of what's important to you. Originally my oldest daughter didn't want to do anything in Costa Maya, just for this reason. She said she would rather save $$ and just go to the port and swim. (Just keep in mind that the food and drinks in port are outrageous and will probably cost you more than any AI would).

However, I'm the type that wants to experience every new place that I can while in port...even if we have been to this port several times (and we have), I feel that there's always some place new to discover. But that's just me.

So, I guess it depends on what type of person you are. Do you cruise for the ship? Or do you cruise for the ports? (Or both :D). I cruise for the ports and the experience (and of course to come back and report to you fine people) but of course pick the ship for the amenities. :)

Thanks for taking the time ... I really enjoyed your review.

One thing... however... for next time.....

The GREEN Screen pic ... and your Sail and Sign picture are NOT the same thing. When you go on the Dream, your pic should have been taken THREE times.

1) Sail and Sign machine

2) Green Screen alone

3) Family Shot in front of the embarkation backdrop.

Maybe that is why your pics never showed up!!

Hopefully you will sail Carnival again, and learn from your first cruise. I can see it now... Plenty of cheesecake for all!!

Catrin

I'm still a little confused then. What is the GREEN screen pic used for? We only had our pictures taken twice. The green screen was first (and I assumed that had to be for our S&S card because how else did they get our picture?) and then again as the family shot for the embarkation. :confused:

One last play in the sand and then I had to drag her out and it was time to say goodbye.

IMG_0173-M.jpg

IMG_0176-M.jpg

Someone looks a little...um...RED. I'm not gonna say I told you so but...I told ya so.

IMG_0170-S.jpg

This would continue to haunt us for the next few days.

Oh, I almost forgot...there was a guy walking around when we first got there (well about an hour after arriving) that had 2 macaws and they put them on Sakari's arms to hold. Right when I got ready to snap the picture, he yelled at me and told me if I was to take the picture, I would be asked to leave. Um, ok. Then he proceeded to take her picture...of course. He then told us that they would come back around to let us see it or tell us where to buy it at in a little while. They never did come back. I later had my husband go inquire about it and he was told "we're closed now and you can't get the picture". Way to go photographer....NOT. It kinda ticked me off that I was yelled at for nothing and I had every intention of purchasing the picture. I always bring extra $$ for things just like this. Too bad this place didn't get it after all.

They also walked around with an iguana you could hold. Sakari didn't get to hold that one.

P5120101-M.jpg

We decided it was time to go and headed for the entrance to grab a cab back to spend an little more time at the port taking more pictures before getting back on the ship.

When we got out front, there were several iguanas walking around.

IMG_0181-M.jpg

IMG_0182-M.jpg

A cab pulled up within 5 minutes of getting out there and actually had to wait on us since we were busy taking pictures and looking at the iguanas.

We arrived back to the port in about 15 mintues. No problem Mon. Oh wait, that's Jamaica and was one of last years cruises. Oh well, I'm practicing up since we'll be there again in 6 months, 17 days, 12 hours, 43 minutes and 18 seconds...but who's counting.

So my final thoughts on Playa Mia.

It was a nice place. Beautifully decorated and landscaped. Bright, bold colors like I like.

The place was HUGE. There's plenty to do. I wish they had the water toys out in the ocean and we are sad we missed it.

I didn't like or appreciate getting yelled at or the several "rules" they implied on us that day, but hey, rules are rules so whatever.

The food was good...not great, but good enough to fill our bellies.

We are glad that we chose to do the smaller package because it allowed us to come and go as we wanted instead of just the allotted time frame the ship has for the excursion. Yes there were others there that day as you can see in my iguana picture, but I'm guessing no more than maybe 20 people there that day including us??? I can guarantee these people were people that took the higher package with the cruise ship because they were not there that long. I believe the ship allows like 3 or 4 hours there and you have to head back. We were there basically all day for a cheaper price. I have to say that if you are in port with a lot of cruise ships, I can't imagine being here. You seen the rows and rows of chairs and the place is huge and will accommodate a lot of people. I can only imagine what this place is liked packed. I sure know I wouldn't want to be there. I've been in port on days that there were 7 cruise ships there. I would head to an AI or Chankanaab on a day like that.

So would I recommend this place. Yea, with the exceptions above...a lot of cruise ships. It was a nice day.

Would I recommend it over my favorite place to far (Chankanaab)? No, not even close. We have been to Chankanaab twice for a reason. We have now tried Nachi Cocom and now Playa Mia. Neither compare to our beloved Chankanaab.

Would I go back to Playa Mia? Nope, it's one of those been there done that and I'm checking it off my list now.

Our favorite is Mr. Sanchos. We don't do it thru the ship (don't believe it's offered), but for one price, I think $50 we get all our food and drink for the day and it's well worth it! Great review

Ok, time to head to work, I'm running a little late, but I always leave early for those "just in case" moments that could occur along the way. I'm always punctual (if you haven't noticed yet) and I have never been late to work, nor have I ever called off. So, I must run. I shall return after midnight. :p

Good for you I am the opposite. I had to laugh when I saw this...You will be hearing more from me later...LOL

You are writing one of the most interesting reviews I've ever read on CC. Thanks for putting the time in to do it with your crazy busy life. By the way, what brand/color nail polish do you have on? Love it!

I agree again on this comment.. I am intrigue, still more to come from me...Nita

Oh guys. It's been a VERY long and exhausting day. My baby boy graduated today and then we took him out to eat. It's a rare occasion to get all 4 of my kids together at the same time because usually 1 of the adult ones are working when the others aren't...so I spent a lot of time with them.

Since I have been home, I have managed to get all of my online work and lectures done. I'm off tomorrow as well and will get in some of my reading and hopefully a little bit of studying done. I will pop in and out during the day hopefully (when I need a break).

Just to start...really guys, the whole room service/cheesecake thing is NOT a big deal. It was just an observation that I had with Carnival not being able to get cheesecake any time I wanted. I'm use to the 24/7 restaurant that's on NCL having the cheesecake and I would always stop by on my way back to the room and grab one. Now that I know you can order it from room service, I'll be on the look out next cruise. I survived without it. No big deal. Can we just move on? There's more to life than room service. :D

As for my research, I know a lot of the Carnival people don't know me (unless you have ran in to me on the ports board) but I am probably the one person you will find that has done the most research on any cruise possible. I have spread sheets, I have folders for each individual port, plane, cruise, hotel, gas, and so on with maps, pictures and reminders in each folder. I'm obsessive about finding out each little detail that I can. I ask tons of questions and I like to estimate the EXACT amount we will spend every place we go...including the ports. I search for menus to know how much to estimate for the food and everything. That's how detailed I get. I pay cash for my on board expenses and I come within usually about $10 of what I estimated at the end (except this time I had a little more left over...more about that later). BUT, you can't research something that you don't know to begin with...like I'm not going to come on here and ask about cheesecake or room service or little things like that. They really don't matter and they definitely don't make or break whether I'll cruise with a line or change anything.

So, I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I will keep it all in mind for my next cruise and with each cruise I hope to learn a little more.

Like I said, I was a first time Carnival person. I have been a NCL person for several years. In all honestly, I really didn't come to the Carnival board too often while my cruise was booked and still hung out on the NCL boards and actually talked Carnival talk with them. I kinda felt like a cruising "newbie" or an outcast because I had no idea what to expect. Now that I have 1 under my belt, I feel not so new, but yet I have a lot to learn...and will do so.

I'm real laid back, I like to have fun. I know I will enjoy whatever cruise I'm on...new or not. A cruise (and life) is what you make of it. Yes there are not so good things, but I bet I can find way more "better" things than anything because that's what I choose to do. We live our lives just as I'm typing it. We always have humor and my husband will tell you, I'm pretty quick with the whitty come-backs. I keep him on his toes as he does me. We always have something to laugh about, even in those bad times. We can turn anything into something funny. That's why we click.

I tell MY story the way I see it. I don't sugar coat anything and I share these stories with my fellow cruisers to give them MY perspective on what things were like. I share my pictures because I know when I do my extensive research, when I come across any review that is remotely close to this one, I am hooked and want to know everything I possibly can. Pictures are a MUST! I'm only here to help others and to share in any way I can. I will answer any questions I can and I appreciate any advice as well. :)

Now on with the review...

Okay that was well said for those previous critics that were making vain comments......You will hear more from me again...I just been seeing comments as I go on and feel I wanted to put in my opinion.....Love it Im glad I started when the review was over so I did not have to wait...I can post my comments and go onnnnn reading...LOL

Kim.. mine is a canon powershot sx40. I love it, but want an underwater.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=274985&stc=1&d=1370945893

O-H!

I-O! :D

I would definitely check out the Olympus. I have been very happy with it so far and it's not as bulky as the Canon D10 is. (They do have an updated model...the D20, out now).

Our favorite is Mr. Sanchos. We don't do it thru the ship (don't believe it's offered), but for one price, I think $50 we get all our food and drink for the day and it's well worth it! Great review

I had read a little about Mr Sanchos, but we decided on Playa Mia for the kids and the water park area. It turned out to be a good decision. BUT, I will be researching soon for our upcoming cruise in 6 months...which will OF COURSE go to Cozumel like always. :)

I agree again on this comment.. I am intrigue, still more to come from me...Nita

Thanks so much.

Okay that was well said for those previous critics that were making vain comments......You will hear more from me again...I just been seeing comments as I go on and feel I wanted to put in my opinion.....Love it Im glad I started when the review was over so I did not have to wait...I can post my comments and go onnnnn reading...LOL

It's ok really. It didn't bother me. Anyone on these boards that know me (and a lot do because I'm around a lot especially with my reviews and pictures to help people out) knows that I do my research....probably more than most people. It's my form of OCD. :D

So glad I found this

As always... fantastic photography. Its fun watching your daughter grow up in cruise critic reviews :)

Cant wait for your Jewel review, esp since you were not crazy bout the Pearl so much.

Hi Sobe, nice to run in to you again. I know isn't it amazing how fast they grow. I was looking for a picture for another thread the other night and looking at my little one in the pictures on that cruise and man has she grown. :D

I think we will have a blast on the Jewel especially since we are cruising with 2 different friends from 2 different cruises. It's like a reunion cruise. :p Althought the Pearl isn't my favorite, we still liked her. I just love those ships with the huge atrium and wow factor. That usually does it for me and I know the Jewel class ships don't have that. :( But it's still a cruise and still another ship I haven't been on. :p

I love reading your reviews, you do an awesome job.

Questions about the cavetubing:

Did you have A/C this time?

What type of shoes did you wear and did they protect you from the rocks on the little hike?

Yes, they had great A/C this time around. I believe their vans were all new now and much nicer.

We wore our same water shoes that we always wear. Yes, they protected us from the rocks, but some rocks are bigger in size, which are hard to walk in no matter what shoes you have on, and we found ourselves walking on the side of the path where there was just dirt and it worked out fine. It's funny because we made a comment to the tour guide because he just had flip flops on. :p

LOL...well, I do have some videos that I had planned on adding. But I still have to work on them. ;)

I have to say, I'm envious of you living in Cozumel. I would LOVE to live there! Are they hiring nurses there? :D

you can add videos in here? wow! I hvae never seen one video at CC, yours will be the firts ones so please do it :D

Im not sure about hiring nurses but I thing you can be hired by the Cozumel tourism departmnet to take care of the Cozumel tread at CC and that could be a better job for you and for all of us in the island :)

you can add videos in here? wow! I hvae never seen one video at CC, yours will be the firts ones so please do it :D

Im not sure about hiring nurses but I thing you can be hired by the Cozumel tourism departmnet to take care of the Cozumel tread at CC and that could be a better job for you and for all of us in the island :)

Yes, you can add videos here. There are several videos that have been on here in the past and even some right now with another review (although not to the Caribbean). :)

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm already almost 4 years into my Nursing Degree so I would need to find a nursing job. :p

We are going to Belize in September......is it safe to book an excursion on your own in Belize? So many write no way do it through cruise line in Belize it's not safe....your experience and review sound so safe and wonderful! What is your advise?

Ok, I'm beat and it's now 3am...geesh, my nights just keep getting later and later. I vow to sleep in tomorrow. I don't have anywhere to go and only studying to do. I will sleep in!!! (Trying to convince myself at this point since it has not turned out that way for the last 2 weeks since returning from my cruise).

Good night to all and I will see you tomorrow and hopefully (probably) will get started on our Nohoch Kay Costa Maya day. :)

Enjoy.

Oh How I need your help????? lol

I have enjoyed reading your posts. We are getting ready to leave on a cruise Saturday that our family did not think we were going to get to go on. Actually, we had thought of cancelling. We had 11 people going. My friends father, just passed away from cancer. So, now we have 9. After, much thought and prayer.... we feel our kids deserve this vacation. So, we are very late at planning our excursions. Because of your post, we are very interested in LFK. I sent them an email today. I have not heard back. We are sailing on Carnival Liberty. I'm so concerned about island time verses ship time and so on. A couple of us will be getting the base package that does include transportation. We can share the food? There is no way my daughter could eat all of that!!! Loved the idea on the drink tickets.

Please any advise would be greatly appreciated. I hope to hear back from them soon. My head is spinning. The funeral was this past Monday and we decided to go ahead with our cruise on Tuesday. I wish you were my private agent. LOL

Oh How I need your help????? lol

I have enjoyed reading your posts. We are getting ready to leave on a cruise Saturday that our family did not think we were going to get to go on. Actually, we had thought of cancelling. We had 11 people going. My friends father, just passed away from cancer. So, now we have 9. After, much thought and prayer.... we feel our kids deserve this vacation. So, we are very late at planning our excursions. Because of your post, we are very interested in LFK. I sent them an email today. I have not heard back. We are sailing on Carnival Liberty. I'm so concerned about island time verses ship time and so on. A couple of us will be getting the base package that does include transportation. We can share the food? There is no way my daughter could eat all of that!!! Loved the idea on the drink tickets.

Please any advise would be greatly appreciated. I hope to hear back from them soon. My head is spinning. The funeral was this past Monday and we decided to go ahead with our cruise on Tuesday. I wish you were my private agent. LOL

Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear of your loss and all at this time when you have a family vacation planned. But I agree, they (and you) will need this vacation more than ever now. My condolences to you.

I do know that sometimes LFK has internet issues and their server is down. I did have a question once and didn't hear from them for a few days and when they responded, they let me know that they were without internet for a few days. Otherwise, I have always heard back from them right away. Now do remember that they do actually LIVE on this island. They do not have service on the island. They do have internet at Frenchy 44's (which is their restaurant on the land and it's also where you catch your ride to go over to the island by boat).

Please do not fret about ship time vs island time. As long as you keep YOUR watch on ship time you are safe. ;) They have their boat going back and forth all during the day bringing people and then taking people back. So just watch your watch and leave on the boat when you are ready. :) Also, don't forget...these people know when the ships are there. They are very aware of what times the ship is in port and leaving. They know the ship time as well. When we checked in at Frenchys, they did ask us what time we might be interested in leaving and they told us what time it was there compared to our ship time. But, as I said, the boat is coming and going during the day. No worries. Plus I think they might have also ask about what time we wanted to go back to the ship because they had a private driver that dropped us off and he would be coming back to pick us up as well and needed to know when to return for us.

As for the food...smart idea. As shown in my pictures, there's plenty of food for sure. My little one barely touched her plate and had I liked the food, her and I could have just shared a plate with not having to get 2 plates.

I just looked at their facebook page and they haven't posted anything since Sunday...when they were having a wedding on the island...how cool would that be???? :D But then again, they don't post every day either.

My suggestion to you would be to email them again...and again, until you hopefully hear from them before you leave for your cruise.

We are going to Belize in September......is it safe to book an excursion on your own in Belize? So many write no way do it through cruise line in Belize it's not safe....your experience and review sound so safe and wonderful! What is your advise?

Of course it's safe. Research these boards, see who people are using, and go with a reputable company. That's what a majority of us on here do. I have never had a problem. The people that you book with do a wonderful job and stay with you.

Most people on here just talk about not walking outside the gates at the port by yourself...not on an excursion booked with a company (outside company). :)

Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear of your loss and all at this time when you have a family vacation planned. But I agree, they (and you) will need this vacation more than ever now. My condolences to you.

I do know that sometimes LFK has internet issues and their server is down. I did have a question once and didn't hear from them for a few days and when they responded, they let me know that they were without internet for a few days. Otherwise, I have always heard back from them right away. Now do remember that they do actually LIVE on this island. They do not have service on the island. They do have internet at Frenchy 44's (which is their restaurant on the land and it's also where you catch your ride to go over to the island by boat).

Please do not fret about ship time vs island time. As long as you keep YOUR watch on ship time you are safe. ;) They have their boat going back and forth all during the day bringing people and then taking people back. So just watch your watch and leave on the boat when you are ready. :) Also, don't forget...these people know when the ships are there. They are very aware of what times the ship is in port and leaving. They know the ship time as well. When we checked in at Frenchys, they did ask us what time we might be interested in leaving and they told us what time it was there compared to our ship time. But, as I said, the boat is coming and going during the day. No worries. Plus I think they might have also ask about what time we wanted to go back to the ship because they had a private driver that dropped us off and he would be coming back to pick us up as well and needed to know when to return for us.

As for the food...smart idea. As shown in my pictures, there's plenty of food for sure. My little one barely touched her plate and had I liked the food, her and I could have just shared a plate with not having to get 2 plates.

I just looked at their facebook page and they haven't posted anything since Sunday...when they were having a wedding on the island...how cool would that be???? :D But then again, they don't post every day either.

My suggestion to you would be to email them again...and again, until you hopefully hear from them before you leave for your cruise.

Thank you very much. :):)