Pride of America Cabin Size

akwaaba

Hi,

I'm booked next year on the Pride of America B6/cabin 12504 and I'm concern about the cabin size. The NCL travel agent wasn't helpful at all when I asked questions about the cabin; I felt like he was a used car salesmen:), so now I'm thinking about canceling and starting over.

My main question to him was how large are the cabins not including the balcony, and are all the outside cabins with balconies the same size minus the balcony. Cabin 12504 does have a large balcony but I could never get a straight answer from him, he kept selling me on NCL by bad mouthing Carnival. I can't believe I even booked with him, I should have hung-up the phone.

Does anyone know about the cabin size on the POA or this cabin in particular?

I've sailed on NCL before alone with Carnival, RCCL, and Holland America so I'm not new to cruising.

Thanks

Sheila

Hi,

I'm booked next year on the Pride of America B6/cabin 12504 and I'm concern about the cabin size. The NCL travel agent wasn't helpful at all when I asked questions about the cabin; I felt like he was a used car salesmen:), so now I'm thinking about canceling and starting over.

My main question to him was how large are the cabins not including the balcony, and are all the outside cabins with balconies the same size minus the balcony. Cabin 12504 does have a large balcony but I could never get a straight answer from him, he kept selling me on NCL by bad mouthing Carnival. I can't believe I even booked with him, I should have hung-up the phone.

I've sailed on NCL before alone with Carnival, RCCL, and Holland America so I'm not new to cruising.

Thanks

Sheila

This description is from the European booking site:

"Pride Amer 12504 Large Balcony 12 Standard Capacity - 3 , Foldable Sleeper Can Be Used If Sofa Bed Is Not Used/Connecting Stateroom, Connects W/Sf 12506 Cabin Includes Telephone , Safety Deposit Box , Internet Access , Total Square Footage (233) , Convertible Lower Beds (2) , Port Side , Foldable Sleeper/Playpen , Pier Forward , Sprinklers , Sitting Area , Shower , Duvet , Oceanview Stateroom , Cabin Square Footage (138) , Television , Floor To Ceiling Sliding Glass Doors , Convertible Single Sofa Bed , Connecting Room (12506) , Hair Dryer , Private Balcony , Refrigerator , Forward Section , Balcony Square Footage (95) , Clothes Line In Bathroom"

We will be in a B6 in Sept. 2014....

We have booked 12504 for a 2015 cruise, so I hope you will post a review when you get back. :)

Our TA didn't know this cabin specifically, but she analyzed the deck plans the same way I did: this is one of the larger cabins because of the huge balcony (which should be very usable in Hawaii), and its location squeezed in among suites means you will have one of the better cabin attendants.

The location could have been problematic with no cabins above, but the recent dry dock is adding cabins on deck 13 so noise shouldn't be an issue (and those big suites means you'll have very few neighbors to make noise).

If you don't like the NCL cruise consultant you dealt with, transfer the booking to a regular TA and you won't have to deal with him again. They should give you some OBC too.

When I do an overlay of this cabin with other balconies on the deck below it is the exact same size including the balcony as the others. With that said, it should be about 138 sq ft and a balcony around 90 sq ft.

If you don't like your PCC call the 800 number and they will assign another. If you do as suggested and go with a TA be aware that you cannot deal directly with NCL for your cruise and make sure of the TA's policy about changes and cancellation before you switch, it is quite common for TA's to charge for changes/cancellations. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Hawaii is amazing!!!

My brother took my folks in 2011 and the regular balcony staterooms are pretty small esp for "3" people. For 2 people they should be fine. we're going in May 2014 and since there are 4 of us to split the cost, we booked a 2 bedroom family penthouse suite on the 13th deck. It only came to 2500 a person after all taxes and prepaid service charges.

Hawaii is so port intensive that most people are using it for sleeping/meals they are not spending a great deal of their time 'on' the ship itself, they are seeing the islands.

Thanks everyone for your imput, I'll take some time to decide whether or not I can take the smaller cabins and if I can't, I want be going to Hawaii via POA. No matter how port intensive the cruise, my space is important to me especially now that I can longer party till I drop, sleep a couple of hours, then head out again; but I get the point.

Just curious, does anyone know why NCL has a ship with such small cabin space that was built in 2005?

I think I'll call NCL to switch agents, I still can't belive I booked with him.:confused:

Thanks Again

Sheila

go to ncl.com and other sites to compare stateroom sizes.

In general, cruiseship cabins are small. They work okay though. They are fine for two people. Not so great for more.

Not sure how many you are putting in cabin.

Thanks everyone for your imput, I'll take some time to decide whether or not I can take the smaller cabins and if I can't, I want be going to Hawaii via POA. No matter how port intensive the cruise, my space is important to me especially now that I can longer party till I drop, sleep a couple of hours, then head out again; but I get the point.

Just curious, does anyone know why NCL has a ship with such small cabin space that was built in 2005?

I think I'll call NCL to switch agents, I still can't belive I booked with him.:confused:

Thanks Again

Sheila

POA isn't a "true" NCL ship. She was originally designed for the United States Line, but the company went bankrupt before she was completed. NCL bought the design and hull and towed it to Germany to complete. They did make some design changes, but it was too late to change everything, including the tiny cabins :).

go to ncl.com and other sites to compare stateroom sizes.

In general, cruiseship cabins are small. They work okay though. They are fine for two people. Not so great for more.

Not sure how many you are putting in cabin.

There will be two of us and we both sailed NCL Star and those cabins are larger than POA, the agent actually found my cabin on the Star, compared the two and there is a noticable difference between them.

There's a difference between average size cabins and small cabins and based on comments by others these cabins are small. As I mentioned I've been on several Carnival cruises (cruising Sat on the Liberty), RCCL (whose cabins on older ships are small), Holland America, and NCL so I'm familar with cabin space, the question now is will it be so small I can't adjust which is why I got a large balcony to help with the cramp feeling. If I could aford it I would get a suite.

POA isn't a "true" NCL ship. She was originally designed for the United States Line, but the company went bankrupt before she was completed. NCL bought the design and hull and towed it to Germany to complete. They did make some design changes, but it was too late to change everything, including the tiny cabins :).

Thanks Champion Cruiser that explains it.

Actually, NCL has traditionally had some of the smallest cabins in the industry. The Norwegian Sun and Sky were originally built for Costa, but the shipyard went bankrupt and they sat nearly completed for a year before NCL bought them. POA was originally being built for Hawaiian American Cruises, the operators of the old Constitution and Independence in the islands, not US Lines. The hull that was towed to Germany was barely more than the hull up to the embarkation deck, so all the superstructure and the cabin assemblies were built in Germany, and NCL had the opportunity to make design changes at that time.

• 2 years later...
Hi,

Thanks

Sheila

We have booked 12504 for a 2015 cruise, so I hope you will post a review when you get back. :)

Did either of you end up staying in this cabin? I'm considering booking it but have some questions about it. Thanks in advance!