carnival sunshine are there still problems

Joyroyle

Releasing a ship with blocked emergency exits, significant amounts of plumbing issues that made cabins uninhabitable, flooding, allowing workers to smoke as they applied glues, paints and other flammable materials up on Decks 8 and 10, dangerous wires hanging out of walls and ceilings, holes in deck area flooring (like at the top of a flight of stairs, elevators that got stuck and had no functioning emergency call buttons, many nonfunctioning electronic and communication devices including thermostats and phones....well, pick whatever side you want, but the reality is that Carnival placed a lot of peoples lives at various safety and health risks. A lot of this was downplayed, but the lines up to 2 hours at guest services spoke volumes. I also wonder now about the mold forming in effected cabins from all those overflowing toilets. I took photos.

Releasing a ship with blocked emergency exits, significant amounts of plumbing issues that made cabins uninhabitable, flooding, allowing workers to smoke as they applied glues, paints and other flammable materials up on Decks 8 and 10, dangerous wires hanging out of walls and ceilings, holes in deck area flooring (like at the top of a flight of stairs, elevators that got stuck and had no functioning emergency call buttons, many nonfunctioning electronic and communication devices including thermostats and phones....well, pick whatever side you want, but the reality is that Carnival placed a lot of peoples lives at various safety and health risks. A lot of this was downplayed, but the lines up to 2 hours at guest services spoke volumes. I also wonder now about the mold forming in effected cabins from all those overflowing toilets. I took photos.

Would you please post the pics? I would love to see what I am getting myself into.

Is it just me or is this pool thing way overblown? Last time I was on Carnival, the pool looked something like the picture below (minus the little floaty things).

I wouldn't consider going in and my kids, who love to swim, had no interest in the rinky dink pool.

I like to swim but close it for all care as I'm not into playing bumper cars with some other dude's rear end.

china-crowded-pool_1682929i.jpg

Is it just me or is this pool thing way overblown? Last time I was on Carnival, the pool looked something like the picture below (minus the little floaty things).

I wouldn't consider going in and my kids, who love to swim, had no interest in the rinky dink pool.

I like to swim but close it for all care as I'm not into playing bumper cars with some other dude's rear end.

china-crowded-pool_1682929i.jpg

This pool thing isn't over blown when you have young kids ... believe me!!! Mine are 4 & 6 and every day if they had to look at an empty pool believe me It would have been a disaster. We are in Ireland and never get to use outdoor pools so it is a real draw for my kiddies!!!

BTW love the pic!!! Made me giggle!!!

This pool thing isn't over blown when you have young kids ... believe me!!! Mine are 4 & 6 and every day if they had to look at an empty pool believe me It would have been a disaster. We are in Ireland and never get to use outdoor pools so it is a real draw for my kiddies!!!

BTW love the pic!!! Made me giggle!!!

Then the waterworks area would be much better for the kids and there would be fewer adults. The main pool is nothing more than an overcrowded semi-deep rectangular chunck of saltwater. Too many adults hanging out with drinks is what I've seen.

If the waterworks area was closed.....then I can see it being a bigger deal. That's the fun area.

Then the waterworks area would be much better for the kids and there would be fewer adults. The main pool is nothing more than an overcrowded semi-deep rectangular chunck of saltwater. Too many adults hanging out with drinks is what I've seen.

If the waterworks area was closed.....then I can see it being a bigger deal. That's the fun area.

As I said mine are 4 and 6 and definitely for the 4 year old the water park is out. Ok she can go down the baby slide but in fairness how long do think that would entertain them. Looking at the larger slide I'm doubting that my 6 year old will go down them as they have been reported as being more suitable for teenagers or adults as they apoear quite fast.

I have done European cruises before this one and maybe it differs on us sailings but I find that most adults dont focus on alcohol during the day.

6 of one half a dozen of another but what I am saying is that to those without kids the pool situation is overblown but to those with kids that pool is paramount.

For us there are no ifs or buts the pool is a must. Thank god its a mute point and its open today.

For Europeans on the cruise especially those with kids, the pool will be very useful on port days. I don't know about others but on port days we will probably be on the ship for at least part of the day while all the septics are away 'seeing Europe', as we've seen a lot of the places like Rome, Florence, Naples etc... before and also don't want to be dragging a 5 and 2 year old to these places especially when some inolve an hour or more of travel.

As for the waterworks, there's more to it than the slides. My 4 soon to be 5 year old will enjoy them as he's a bit of a daredevil on those things but even for the younger ones there splash areas with lots of different water features and off course those wee purple slides. I can see young kids loving that area.

THe may not had been 100% for your cruise that is sad. But and it is a big But what would you have had Carnival do. Every time they cancelled another cruise to finish the rebuild, their were alsorts of people complaining. So they were in a no win position, cause for all the complaints from those on the first cruise, they would have been complaining if it was cancelled so the ship could have been 100% for the next one. However it still wouldn't have been 100% cause, every ship regaurdless of cruise line on its first cruise from Dry dock, weather a rebuild or brand new, has issues.

carnival should of had the best contractors , Not the cheapest contractor. Who ever was in charge of this project should be FIRED, all the way to the top !!!

There were pictures like he's describing on an official review of the inaugural voyage. He's not making anything up unless its an extremely elaborate and unlikely hoax.

What people also need to remember is that there was probably a significant appearance difference from the inaugural cruise and the one Sarge Schultz went on last week

I believe them both

There's no telling how much Carnival is raking in daily in liquidated damages from Fincantieri for having to sailing an unfinished ship. Me thinks that all these issues have been very lucrative for Carnival.

He didn't go on an inaugural cruise....it just happened to turn into one when Sunshine was kept in dry dock longer. The pictures tell the truth...was a mess plain and simple.

It was the inaugural cruise, and he got the shirt to prove it.

It was the inaugural cruise, and he got the shirt to prove it.

I think the point is, that it wasn't supposed to have been the inaugural. It should have been the third cruise, right?

I think the point is, that it wasn't supposed to have been the inaugural. It should have been the third cruise, right?

Yes, but it was the inaugrual. Delays are common. On new builds, the lines usually plan for several "pre" cruises before the scheduled inaugrual, which get "announced" (often to repeat cruisers) once the real completion date becomes evident. Carnival probably should have done that here, but I suspect they did not because it would have been very difficult to fill the last minute "pre" cruises given the current airfare situation. And, I don't think they could have imagined the crazy weather issues (the reason for the Waterworks delay) and labor problems. A valuable lesson was learned by some about booking a ship during the first few sailings after construction/dry dock (the same also could be said for the sailings just before dry dock, as some of the demo often begins then). It is the only reason I booked a more expensive June Sunshine cruise, rather than the cheap ones in April and May (sometimes you do get what you pay for).

IMO, Carnival should not have cancelled the May 5th cruise we were on. A majority of the ships features were functioning. We chose this cruise for the ports, not the ship.

However, it was disheartening to wait for a long time in line for guest services and speak with other guests about the problems they were having. I waited in line ONE day only but passed by Guest Services several times a day. I've never seen lines that long on any other cruise.

I'm just saying that there were many problems with cabins all over the ship and people that weren't there shouldn't minimize the concerns of the people that were. Should you take most things written on the internet with a grain of salt? Probably.

My experience was my experience, good or bad. Many things about our cruise were good. Some things were not.

Again, all things considered I'm glad the cruise was not cancelled.

I don't remember the exact wording of the announcement made mid dry dock about why 21 days worth of two cruises were cancelled in order to lengthen the dry dock by three additional weeks. However, it was NOT because the Waterworks area wouldn't be finished. It was to enhance safety, reliability and power needs, right? Carnival was trying to avoid another Triumph problem. (Someone can step up here and quote the original announcement, I'm sure). That would be really welcome.

I was just shocked that the Waterworks was not close to being ready when we boarded and opened with just two days left in a 12 day cruise. How do you explain that to kids that were really looking forward to using that area every day?

Again, my opinion. As I stated earlier in this thread, we will stay away from booking any ship coming out of dry dock for a considerable period of time.....maybe 2 months or so. Does everyone think that would be a safe decision? I don't know because this was my first experience like this.

We will try Carnival again but not on a 102,000 ton ship with over 3000 passengers. It just felt crowded often. (For an insight into my point of view here.....last cruise was on RC's Mariner of the Seas. Roughly the same number of guest but a much bigger ship, around 138,000 tons). On that ship RC seemed to spread people out much better than Sunshine. (And to be fair - much, much better than our New Year's cruise a few years ago on Monarch of the Seas. We felt like sardines in a can!)

Cramming an additional 500 passengers onto a ship with approximately the same amount of common area is not a good idea unless you are a stockholder.

Thanks for listening.

MTG

That seems like a fair analysis all around. And I agree about staying away from a ship coming out of dry dock. For a normal dry dock, at least a cruise or two. For an extensive remodel like the Sunshine, a couple months is probably safe. That said, if you are willing to take the risk, you can likely find a good deal.

Thank you. I'm really going more for the ports, so I'm not sure I would have minded some of the ship problems and big OBC. :D

See, it's a minor problem to you..... until:

Your kids who have been waiting on the water park, can't swim, can't play in the water park.

or... you're handicapped and can't get down hallways because construction mess is parked there.

or.... you accidentally brush up against the live electrical wires hanging from the ceiling.

or...you can't use your room toilet or shower for the entire 12 day cruise.

or... your room is made uninhabitable by the raw sewage running down the walls?

or... you wake up with a headache every morning from the sealant fumes that the ventilation system poured into your room. How many brain cells did sniffin' THAT glue kill?

or..... there's an emergency and you die because you're trapped against an emergency exit that's blocked and/or locked.

But hey, he got a T-shirt, so that makes it all better!

See, it's a minor problem to you..... until:

Your kids who have been waiting on the water park, can't swim, can't play in the water park.

Shouldn't they have been in school in May? Or at least taking advantage of the European ports? I would have given them the OBC from it not being available to spend at the Cherry on Top. I would have at least warned them that we were getting a great deal on a cruise, but taking a risk that some stuff might not be ready. Use the money saved to go to Raging Waters or Great Wolf Lodge.

or... you're handicapped and can't get down hallways because construction mess is parked there.

Anyone handicappers report this happened?

or.... you accidentally brush up against the live electrical wires hanging from the ceiling.

I guess I missed who this happened to. Oh, and did TY test to see of those wires were "live" (I wish:D).

or...you can't use your room toilet or shower for the entire 12 day cruise.

I'm not sure anyone actually reported being out for 12 days. At most, a couple of days, but they got a huge ($700) OBC. I think I'd take that to piss down the hall for a couple of days (or even 12). Those that have reported they had actual issues have also said they were adequately compensated (except for those who had their feelings hurt by the comedian). Shouldn't that be enough for the rest of us.

or... your room is made uninhabitable by the raw sewage running down the walls?

Not even TY went to these dramatics. That was the Triumph that was said to have that problem.

or... you wake up with a headache every morning from the sealant fumes that the ventilation system poured into your room. How many brain cells did sniffin' THAT glue kill?

And that happened to......? And, I can't think of one ship where people have not complained of fumes from time to time.

or..... there's an emergency and you die because you're trapped against an emergency exit that's blocked and/or locked.

I do feel bad for the, um, ZERO people who died (much less were injured) because some things were not completed on time.

If we are talking about hypotheticals, I was very concerned about the people who were abducted by the aliens, who we all know are attracted to empty pools. :D

Shouldn't they have been in school in May? Or at least taking advantage of the European ports? I would have given them the OBC from it not being available to spend at the Cherry on Top. I would have at least warned them that we were getting a great deal on a cruise, but taking a risk that some stuff might not be ready. Use the money saved to go to Raging Waters or Great Wolf Lodge.

I guess from your answer that you do not have children.

Anyone handicappers report this happened?

Photos showing numerous blocked hallways and aisles were posted here. Again, I take it that you aren't handicapped so it is not a problem for you.

I guess I missed who this happened to. Oh, and did TY test to see of those wires were "live" (I wish:D). Complaints from other posters that have also been deleted not enough for you?

I'm not sure anyone actually reported being out for 12 days. At most, a couple of days, but they got a huge ($700) OBC. I think I'd take that to piss down the hall for a couple of days (or even 12). Those that have reported they had actual issues have also said they were adequately compensated (except for those who had their feelings hurt by the comedian). Shouldn't that be enough for the rest of us.

I didn't mention the comedian, he isn't a safety concern. There actually were people on that cruise that did not have the use of their toilet or shower for the full 12 day cruise. More than a minor inconvenience, wouldn't you say?

Not even TY went to these dramatics. That was the Triumph that was said to have that problem.

Nope, this was reported on this site, John Heald's page and the Carnival page. You really ought to get out of Sarge's thread more often.

And that happened to......? And, I can't think of one ship where people have not complained of fumes from time to time.

Again, reported on several sites, strong, sickening, overpowering solvent fumes invading guest rooms for hours at a time, not just a whiff.

I do feel bad for the, um, ZERO people who died (much less were injured) because some things were not completed on time.

If we are talking about hypotheticals, I was very concerned about the people who were abducted by the aliens, who we all know are attracted to empty pools. :D

I'm not talking hypothetical. Would you not be at least concerned by blocked emergency exits? The careless disregard for safety in the photos I've seen have me questioning Carnival's commitment to any type of standards. I'm sure the OBC would be a comfort to you if there had been any type of emergency.

I sincerely hope your cruise is trouble free. You will love Europe.

Archived