"Never again in the Haven"

Nalagh

Like I said, not paying for "The Haven"...paying for "the room"

But, if you're talking about people will well behaved children (and well behaved adults in general) then no, they're not taking away from "the tranquility"

If you're going to make dividing lines like this, then you need to make the ADULTS who are taking away from the "tranquility" pay extra...like the 6 females traveling in a suite who were acting like morons in the area...they're not a family with kids, they're 6 females who don't know how to behave like adults. You can't ask people to pay extra for something when it isn't just their 'demographic' that is causing problems.

I am not trying to be the morel benchmark for the Haven. NCL created, published and required my funds to reserve it.

Yes, I have never sailed in a cabin that was not a suite. I also always choose a Haven in the event that that the ship is equipped.

I do, as you and everyone who chooses the Haven, pays a premium for it. If you were to pay $20,000 for a car let's say, you would expect the car to come with the promised and promoted features. Well, we paid that for a week. Yes, we got a bigger cabin for the week, but in the rain our patio area was unusable. We wanted to use the Haven, but the EXTREME behavior deemed the Haven usless for it's intended published marketed purpose.

Again, with all due respect,

Cherie

I am not trying to be the morel benchmark for the Haven. NCL created, published and required my funds to reserve it.

Yes, I have never sailed in a cabin that was not a suite. I also always choose a Haven in the event that that the ship is equipped.

I do, as you and everyone who chooses the Haven, pays a premium for it. If you were to pay $20,000 for a car let's say, you would expect the car to come with the promised and promoted features. Well, we paid that for a week. Yes, we got a bigger cabin for the week, but in the rain our patio area was unusable. We wanted to use the Haven, but the EXTREME behavior deemed the Haven usless for it's intended published marketed purpose.

Again, with all due respect,

Cherie

I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post, I was addressing specifically the question raised by Aurora in my quoted posting of hers. I fully agree with your issues regarding recent haven experiences (as is evidenced by my own posting regarding my complete and total refusal to abide bullies, which these people are by their behavior in the aforementioned area). I was only attempting to reply to her question regarding defense of my 'well behaved' child with regard to how we travel. I'll defend my child's behavior (as you would yours) because she's not one of those that would behave (or be allowed to behave) in the manner which has been described here in this thread.

And as I've stated a couple of times, I'll be one of the first to get in the face of any child or adult who acts like a nimrod in public and intrudes on the personal space of others. I do it on a daily basis at work, I can't see that changing in my private life, especially where my hard earned and spent money is concerned.

Had I been in the situation you (and others) have described, either NCL staff would have been removing them, or I would have made their lives so uncomfortable that they would have removed themselves. I'm not shy about speaking up and I'll do it repeatedly. As rude as some people can be by way of their loud and annoying behavior, I can be just as rude through my refusal to accept and acquiesce to such behavior.

So, I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

Many of the complaint on here have been about ONE family or group.

Imagine you're the good family with the good kids...

Yup..you've all been all over these threads defending YOUR PERFECT KIDS. Well, what will YOU DO?

YOU SPENT ALL THIS MONEY SO THAT YOU, YOUR FAMILY, ESPECIALLY KIDS could enjoy a private rich kids's pool, but...you're taking away from the TRANQUILITY!!!

Do you think about that? No? Would you pay extra for an exclusive kids area? Because we adult are now asked to pay extra for it. Would ya?

This post describes my situation perfectly. We booked a haven suite to purposefully get access to the Haven. We have children and fully intend on bringing them into the Haven. But based on this thread, I'm now concerned they are going to be the target of unwelcome comments by just being there, nevermind if they dare make a peep above a quiet voice. They won't be running around or splashing water on others' medical equipment and they will be supervised at all times, but they will behave as children with manners. That does not equate to adult behaviour in a library, which is what some people are expecting IMHO. I have no problem with general decorum guidelines for everyone in the Haven, which appear to be needed, and people who will enforce said behavioural expectations.

To me, there are lots of things about buying a product that don't turn out as advertised. That's why you do your research and find out what lives up to your expectation and what doesn't. To expect any product to turn out 100% as advertised is unheard of in my experience as a consumer! The math on the family suites vs Haven is glaringly obvious to anyone who bothers to look, and NCL is known as a family-friendly line. If you want a cruise without children, then find a cruise line that isn't as child-friendly as NCL.

Going to put on my flame suit...

As I said before the only option that will guarantee kids wont be kids is to ban kids. Thats not going to happen. Kids and tranquility just don't go together. Even if NCL posts a code of conduct I would be highly skeptical of how they would enforce it. I think it may help a little but if you dont have the common sense to know your kids should not be screaming and diving in the pool a sign is not going to change that. The best thing Ncl can do is just admit The Haven is a family area and the rest of us who want the peace and tranquility can decide if its worth rolling the dice.

I Thought I was an NCL for life guy, but I have already cancelled one booking in favor of the Quantum of the seas. I will also say the new Royal princess looks very nice. If you want peace and tranquility there are a lot better options then NCL . for this kinda money I should not have to compromise and hope it works out

I shared this thread with my DH and he shared that the Haven wasn't as tranquil and relaxing for him and his son on this last cruise as I originally expressed. He just didn't want to hurt my feelings because I had worked so hard to plan this last trip.

With that said, we are on the Breakaway in February (just the two of us) and he said that if the Haven is the same as this last trip or worse, we will stick to RCCL because of their Solarium.

He felt that it's ridiculous to spend all that extra money for the haven and if you want real tranquility on the Breakaway, you have to pay extra. He feels it's BS.

So hopefully, NCL will do something about this "tranquility" issue before February (or before september for Cherie's sake), or we're not sailing on NCL anymore...which makes me sad.

Is the Solarium open to anyone (adults) or is that a suite-only type of thing? Is there an extra fee?

As I said before the only option that will guarantee kids wont be kids is to ban kids. Thats not going to happen. Kids and tranquility just don't go together. Even if NCL posts a code of conduct I would be highly skeptical of how they would enforce it. I think it may help a little but if you dont have the common sense to know your kids should not be screaming and diving in the pool a sign is not going to change that. The best thing Ncl can do is just admit The Haven is a family area and the rest of us who want the peace and tranquility can decide if its worth rolling the dice.

I Thought I was an NCL for life guy, but I have already cancelled one booking in favor of the Quantum of the seas. I will also say the new Royal princess looks very nice. If you want peace and tranquility there are a lot better options then NCL . for this kinda money I should not have to compromise and hope it works out

I really cannot wait to sail on Royal Princess. She looks stunning!

Just throwing this out there - a lot of public pools (that charge admission), neighborhood pools, and country club pools have "Adult Swim" times - it's not unheard of. Maybe the Haven needs to have some adult-only time - the kids can still play most of the time, but adults get a window or two of tranquility. Compromise - add some clearer rules and expectations, and it might be win-win. Maybe one of the rules is that kids in the Haven must be supervised by an adult (it sounded like some of these incidents were kids without parents present - safety hazard beyond belief, IMO). And I don't think being in your stateroom with the door open to the Haven counts as "being present."

Isn't there a kids' pool (w/a kids' hot tub) on the regular pool deck?

Ya gotta wonder how these people felt about themselves and their behaviors after they sobered up and had nothing but muddled memories of a very expensive cruise where people avoided them or were angry with them most of the time.

One thing I hated about when I drank to excess was always feeling like I owed someone an apology, even if I didn't. I'd wake up the morning after with a feeling of doom and guilt. That put paid to my days of over-consuming alcohol.

I guess since I tend to feel my emotions so intensely and worry incessantly about hurting other people's feelings or sense of comfort, I have no frame of reference for those who don't.

On the lines of what I have been thinking all along...If someone has the cash to throw around and spend on this "Haven" thing, and then acts like a total moron for the entire week, as described in the above quoted incident.....

I still have to ask? Where do these people get all this money to throw around? I guess any idiot can be cash rich these days, even if they don't deserve the responsibility having it. Remember the old saying, "to those whom much is given, much is expected" These types in the Haven seem to be so self centered and selfish that it is despicable.

and before the flame throwers start...yes, I do know that many well educated, hard working folks have well paid responsible jobs and are raising nice descent families and want to book the Haven. However, that is not the type of person I am commenting about, is it?

It'd be best if they made it an adults only area, like when you go to an all inclusive resort you pay twice as much for the grand but it's so peaceful not seeing one screaming crumb snatcher

Agreed...we like NCL but consider Celebrity a more adults only product. There is not a lot to do when you are a kid on Celebrity. We have the Breakaway booked in January and the Equinox in November 2014. We understand, and expect, a lot of kids will be present. I do wish they would make an adults only area. The only place adults only for a hot tub is in the spa, and we purchase passes on every sailing for this reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is the Solarium open to anyone (adults) or is that a suite-only type of thing? Is there an extra fee?

Solarium on Royal Caribbean- adults only UNLESS inclement weather and then they generally have two 2 hour blocks for kid swim times. No charge, generally covered by a roof, some of which are able to be opened on really hot days. The recent change in the Solarium is that many ships now have the Park Cafe there and kids come through the solarium to get food.

It was asked if the Solarium open to anyone (adults) or is that a suite-only type of thing? Is there an extra fee?

The Solarium is free for all adult cruisers. There seems to be an unwritten, but agreed to self-policing to limit kids.

In some Sloariums there is a french fry, pizza station that attracts kids, but they pretty much come and go quietly from the area.

It's a great place to read a book on a rainy day. :)

This post describes my situation perfectly. We booked a haven suite to purposefully get access to the Haven. We have children and fully intend on bringing them into the Haven. But based on this thread' date=' I'm now concerned they are going to be the target of unwelcome comments by just being there, nevermind if they dare make a peep above a quiet voice. They won't be running around or splashing water on others' medical equipment and they will be supervised at all times, but they will behave as children with manners. That does not equate to adult behaviour in a library, which is what some people are expecting IMHO. I have no problem with general decorum guidelines for everyone in the Haven, which appear to be needed, and people who will enforce said behavioural expectations.

To me, there are lots of things about buying a product that don't turn out as advertised. That's why you do your research and find out what lives up to your expectation and what doesn't. To expect any product to turn out 100% as advertised is unheard of in my experience as a consumer! The math on the family suites vs Haven is glaringly obvious to anyone who bothers to look, and NCL is known as a family-friendly line. If you want a cruise without children, then find a cruise line that isn't as child-friendly as NCL.

Going to put on my flame suit...[/quote']

Absolutely no flaming here, just trying to clarify the situation, as I see you are a recent NCL Haven customer. Several years ago, when the Haven was introduced, it was marketed as truly tranquil and peaceful. And it was, for the most part (barring the occasional unruly guest, adult or child didn't matter). It was like a fancy restaurant, a place you were welcome to bring your children, as long as they behaved in a manner suitable for such a place.. This was understood by most Haven guests, and everyone got along. Well behaved children were, of course, welcomed with open arms! It was truly lovely, for families and adults alike!

Somewhere within the last two years, the balance started to shift. More and more families were using the Haven as a more "child-friendly" place, not awful, but certainly not as tranquil. As the tides turned, it got less and less peaceful, and more like a YMCA pool than the tranquil space for which it was intended and marketed. Sort of like that fancy restaurant - with more and more families coming in, the atmosphere turned more into an Applebee's than Chez Phillipe. The problem lies within the marketing. NCL still touts the space as a "Chez Phillipe" and expectations are set this way for most, so when people pay $20K expecting "Chez Phillipe" and end up with an "Applebee's" experience, they are rightly disappointed. Families are told it's an "Applebees" kind of place, with no expectations of a more refined environment, which certainly makes the situation worse. NCL has to decide which experience they wish to offer - and stick to their guns, enforce whatever rules they deem necessary, not making passengers fight it out.. If the Haven is now intended to be more of an "Applebee's", that's fine - but they better stop marketing it as "Chez Phillipe"..

Hope that makes sense! :D

Robin

Absolutely no flaming here, just trying to clarify the situation, as I see you are a recent NCL Haven customer. Several years ago, when the Haven was introduced, it was marketed as truly tranquil and peaceful. And it was, for the most part (barring the occasional unruly guest, adult or child didn't matter). It was like a fancy restaurant, a place you were welcome to bring your children, as long as they behaved in a manner suitable for such a place.. This was understood by most Haven guests, and everyone got along. Well behaved children were, of course, welcomed with open arms! It was truly lovely, for families and adults alike!

Somewhere within the last two years, the balance started to shift. More and more families were using the Haven as a more "child-friendly" place, not awful, but certainly not as tranquil. As the tides turned, it got less and less peaceful, and more like a YMCA pool than the tranquil space for which it was intended and marketed. Sort of like that fancy restaurant - with more and more families coming in, the atmosphere turned more into an Applebee's than Chez Phillipe. The problem lies within the marketing. NCL still touts the space as a "Chez Phillipe" and expectations are set this way for most, so when people pay $20K expecting "Chez Phillipe" and end up with an "Applebee's" experience, they are rightly disappointed. NCL has to decide which experience they wish to offer - and stick to their guns, enforce whatever rules they deem necessary, not making passengers fight it out.. If the Haven is now intended to be more of an "Applebee's", that's fine - but they better stop marketing it as "Chez Phillipe"..

Robin

Excellent post!

Somewhere within the last two years, the balance started to shift. More and more families were using the Haven as a more "child-friendly" place, not awful, but certainly not as tranquil. As the tides turned, it got less and less peaceful, and more like a YMCA pool than the tranquil space for which it was intended and marketed. Sort of like that fancy restaurant - with more and more families coming in, the atmosphere turned more into an Applebee's than Chez Phillipe. The problem lies within the marketing. NCL still touts the space as a "Chez Phillipe" and expectations are set this way for most, so when people pay $20K expecting "Chez Phillipe" and end up with an "Applebee's" experience, they are rightly disappointed. Families are told it's an "Applebees" kind of place, with no expectations of a more refined environment, which certainly makes the situation worse. NCL has to decide which experience they wish to offer - and stick to their guns, enforce whatever rules they deem necessary, not making passengers fight it out.. If the Haven is now intended to be more of an "Applebee's", that's fine - but they better stop marketing it as "Chez Phillipe"..

Robin

It makes complete sense, and actually I expected more "Chez Philippe" than "Applebee's", though I've never been to an Applebee's ;). I'm assuming you're referring to family style restaurants rather than fine dining establishments.

This is exactly the expectation I have of the Haven. This thread has me very concerned about how welcome my children will be in that environment. Restaurants have commonly accepted (though rarely written rules) on how all patrons should behave given the type of establishment. Loud voices and running around tables is common at McDonalds, but not The Keg (I hope I'm using examples of resturants I know that also exist in the US!). There are no Haven type environments where I live, nor I imagine in many areas where othere cruise patrond live, so expectations vary widely. I think this is where the problem lies: everyone has different expectations and the area is marketed to a wide variety of people, including those with young children. I still stand by my position that all well behaved people, including children, should be welcome in the Haven. There are adults-only areas on the ship for those who wish an adults-only experience.

I hate to inform you but NCL already made that decision. The entire Haven complex is built around families and that includes children. 75 suites on Epic and most of them are 2 bedrooms for the kiddies.

Sort of surprised some seem confused on this issue. As posted several times when people have complained the response has always been the same. They are not going to stop children playing at the Haven pool or having fun. Its who NCL wants on their ships.

Archived