tipping

I also understand the importance of this money to the staff. However tipping over $500 for my family seems excessive to me.

Why are you making this the staff's problem? This is your problem. Are you going to tell the staff ahead of time that you are not going to tip them so that they can lessen their service to you accordingly? If you can not afford to take your 4 kids on a cruise, then choose a less expensive vacation.

Why are you making this the staff's problem? This is your problem. Are you going to tell the staff ahead of time that you are not going to tip them so that they can lessen their service to you accordingly? If you can not afford to take your 4 kids on a cruise, then choose a less expensive vacation.

Where in that statement does it say I WILL NOT tip??? Tipping is suposed to be a bonus for services rendered, not an automatic foregone conclusion. I have always tipped above and beyond the automatic daily fee on prior cruises to select staff that stood out in my mind. As I said it is my first cruise as a family and It just hit me when looking at the total for my family that it is a large number just for tips. $12 per day does not sound bad until you add it all up X 6, however I agree with most of the posters here and now and have many months before I cruise so that I can budget for it.

Where in that statement does it say I WILL NOT tip??? Tipping is suposed to be a bonus for services rendered, not an automatic foregone conclusion. I have always tipped above and beyond the automatic daily fee on prior cruises to select staff that stood out in my mind. As I said it is my first cruise as a family and It just hit me when looking at the total for my family that it is a large number just for tips. $12 per day does not sound bad until you add it all up X 6, however I agree with most of the posters here and now and have many months before I cruise so that I can budget for it.

Then I don't understand what your question/problem is. You tip or you don't. That's all part of the cruise expense. If you take more people with you, then yes, it will be more expensive. When you say "I'm torn, this amount seems excessive, what do I do?", to me you are looking for a way to make it less expensive. To make it less expensive means tipping less. So if you're not going to tip less, again I ask, what's the question?

Tipping is suposed to be a bonus for services rendered, not an automatic foregone conclusion.

FWIW, I agree with the above, and perhaps it would be better to think of it as a service charge. Better yet, Royal should change it to that. I suspect if they did, it would eliminate some of this confusion, and perhaps generate even more revenue for the crew. OTOH, what would we argue about then on CC? ;-) Have a great cruise.

OT, but when I was in the UK, most tabs in restaurants mentioned that service was not included, so I left in between a 15 and 20% tip, as I do in the US. The tabs usually had a line to fill in the tip amount, same with the machine-thing to pay with credit card.

Is this not a custom in the UK? Should I not be tipping next time I go to London?

10% is the norm in the uk.......not sure about London. I often tip more than the norm for excellent service......up to 15% but never 20%. If service is not up to scratch then I deduct or leave no tip at all if service levels are appalling.

There are clearly problems with our system. With low levels expected there is a lower level of service expected. Once you have experienced US based levels of service and tipping you begin to understand a bit more.

I have friends that would have a heart attack if they felt they had to leave more than 10%. When we have been dining together and I suggest 15% after a great meal they refuse to contribute more! I am sure this is not uncommon here but it does explain why there are differences in attitudes to tipping from country to country

Also, tips in the UK do not go to the staff automatically. They get wages! Tax is paid on wages and on tips too in theory. Employers should also pay tax on the tips the staff get......national insurance contributions are wage related......

Simples.......

FWIW, I agree with the above, and perhaps it would be better to think of it as a service charge. Better yet, Royal should change it to that. I suspect if they did, it would eliminate some of this confusion, and perhaps generate even more revenue for the crew. OTOH, what would we argue about then on CC? ;-) Have a great cruise.

Maybe using the word "tip" is where I have issues.... Just seems to me that a true tip should be after a good or great service is provided at the discretion of the customer NOT automatically assumed. I am with you, service charge seems to be a better term. I have to admit, it has been somewhat amusing to see some post and posters turn a general discussion into personal jabs or assumptions. Thanks for the well wishes, we look forward to it.

Carnival's breakdown for gratuities is as follows -

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

I think it's pretty fair to be charged a per DAY fee per person. I can only imagine how needy 4 teenagers will be.:eek: There are only 2 of us and I know how needy I am to have new towels twice a Day and have my Ice Bucket always full.

Good Luck with your decision.

10% is the norm in the uk.......not sure about London. I often tip more than the norm for excellent service......up to 15% but never 20%. If service is not up to scratch then I deduct or leave no tip at all if service levels are appalling.

There are clearly problems with our system. With low levels expected there is a lower level of service expected. Once you have experienced US based levels of service and tipping you begin to understand a bit more.

I have friends that would have a heart attack if they felt they had to leave more than 10%. When we have been dining together and I suggest 15% after a great meal they refuse to contribute more! I am sure this is not uncommon here but it does explain why there are differences in attitudes to tipping from country to country

Also, tips in the UK do not go to the staff automatically. They get wages! Tax is paid on wages and on tips too in theory. Employers should also pay tax on the tips the staff get......national insurance contributions are wage related......

Simples.......

Thank you for the reply!

I just don't get all this drama over something as simple as a tip/gratuity/service charge or what ever you want to call it. Let's just call it - a cost of cruising.

I build it into my cruise cost. If I look at the bottom line and I don't like the cost per person, then I don't book the cruise.

If you don't won't to leave a gratuity for the staff and you choose to not spend your vacation at a Motel 6 - then use another cruise line or tell your cabin steward and dining room servers up front that you don't think they are worth the few dollars a day Royal has suggested they receive. Sorry for that, so don't look for a full gratuity from me and my party. But really, that extra couple of t-shirts and the photo op at the port are worth that extra money to me and my family. :rolleyes:

Archived