tipping

I have 4 children so my family consists of 6 people as well. I know that the standard tip for a 7 day cruise for a family my size is $504 total. It was the same on my Disney Cruise last year. I paid it last year and will pay it again this year. I consider it part of the cost of cruising and would not even consider lowering the amount just because we have a lot of people.

You indicated in your op that "$500 seems excessive". In your follow up you indicate you are not a "cheapskate".

These posts contradict each other.

No they don't. Just because you think it's too much doesn't mean you're a cheapskate who doesn't pay it.

It just means he's thinking about the costs.

I have 4 children so my family consists of 6 people as well. I know that the standard tip for a 7 day cruise for a family my size is $504 total. It was the same on my Disney Cruise last year. I paid it last year and will pay it again this year. I consider it part of the cost of cruising and would not even consider lowering the amount just because we have a lot of people.

Thank you! I appreciate the opinion of someone who actually has traveled with a large family.

Thank you! I appreciate the opinion of someone who actually has traveled with a large family.

My comments in post #12 were based as well on traveling with five - for many years. I did not qualify that as whether we were all together or in some other combination, it didn't matter - nothing changed in terms of the gratuity amount and it being paid per person.

My comments in post #12 were based as well on traveling with five - for many years. I did not qualify that as whether we were all together or in some other combination, it didn't matter - nothing changed in terms of the gratuity amount and it being paid per person.

Thanks! Whether its 2 of us or 6, only 1 pays the tab...me... :eek:.... lol. I was more curious on people opinion.

I am playing devil's advocate but I know OP it will still not be something you want to hear. Why is it the steward's, waiter's etc. fault that YOU have so many kids and choose to take them all on a vacation?

Let's take a look at what you wrote, shall we? In a thread with the title "tipping", you said:

I have booked my 10th cruise, first ever with RCI and first time taking our teenagers. There will be 6 of us all together, the 4 teens in an inside cabin across the hall from our balcony cabin. I have always tipped extra to staff that stands out on my cruises, cabin stewards, waitstaff, bartenders etc... However I am torn on this upcoming trip about the $12/day per guest. I understand I have the option of stopping the automatic daily gratuities and tip as I see fit, I also understand the importance of this money to the staff. However tipping over $500 for my family seems excessive to me. Has anyone traveled with this many kids and how have you handled tipping?

All you ask about is how do families handle tipping, noting both that you are aware you can stop the automatic tipping AND that the total amount for your family seems excessive. What conclusion was I supposed to jump to? You wanted advice on how much EXTRA you should be tipping?

Cruising is a luxury, and no doubt the expense for a family can be excessive. Next time you might consider asking for tips on cutting your overall expenses instead of focusing on the tips.

So everyone else said the same thing as this poster but because she has 4 children as well that validates her opinion? What was the purpose of your original post :confused:? Did you simply want people to say, "yeah, having a lot of kids is expensive"?

So everyone else said the same thing as this poster but because she has 4 children as well that validates her opinion?

^ Yeah, I admit to feeling a bit slighted about this. We all offered advice and it seems she only wanted advice from those with lots of kidlets. :p

Yes, $500 is a lot of money, but you can't expect to take six people on a cruise and not see high costs. You're talking about having twice as much room, three times as many meals and three times as many beds to make. How could that not cost more? If you can't afford the whole cost of the cruise -- and the tips are a part of the cruise -- don't go.

Incidentally, on our last cruise we had four teens. I am fully aware that it adds up to transport them, take them to a restaurant, to treat them to milkshakes, to buy them tee-shirts, etc. A family of six that includes four teens is going to cost more than two adults. However, bringing them was my choice. I could've cruised with just my husband.

Absolutely felt pity for one of the cabin stewards.....one of our kids (and his son) turned the cabin into a war zone (no damage..just piles of stuff all over..I think they never realized the cabin has closets or drawers).

Gave thought the holding back a bit, but actually found myself leaving extra for that cabin and standard for the others.

I am currently on the Liberty of the Seas using up my internet minutes. We are a family of 5 - 4 adults and 1 baby and I come from a country that does not have tipping ingrained in its culture. However, I do understand the rationale behind the practice and although I thought we would be tipping the minimum, we surprised ourselves by presenting envelopes of extras to our waiter, asst waiter and stateroom attendant.

We too have 4 kids.........All teenagers 3 girls and 1 boy. The girls always share a cabin. We do not really bother them... but they boss the cabin steward around with notes for extra towels and such and their cabin always looks like a bomb went off....It's a teenage thing I understand.

They use towels, toilet paper, mess up the beds and consume the same if not more than grown adults.

At the end of the day...........they are my kids and I have to pay for them. A vacation is completely discretionary. Tipping the steward who waited on and served my family and kids in my opinion is not discretionary.

You want to run with the big dogs...............Pay what they ask.

I agree with the others here, it is part of the cruise, and most likely the crew will be doing more for your kids so deserve every penny. We are a family of 5 traveling in 2 cabins and will be paying the suggested tips and probably more for all 5 of us. Yes it sucks and us a large chunk of cash but if you have the kids and take them it is your responsibility to pay for ALL of them, just as I will be.

Simple, Tip for what you get.

If they do their job TIP the min amount, if they do more give more, if they do not do their job then remove their tip for that day. Now I will say I never had the last thing happen and the tip remained and more was given later.

But I would not have a problem removing the Tip if I felt it was needed.

I'm not stiffing them by poor services they are stiffing me.

Simple as that.

I dont understand why the majority of people on this site get so defensive about tipping staff. I dont fully understand tipping staff for doing their job either. Ive seen it argued that they rely on tips to make up for poor wages but they are surely aware of these conditions when they take the job. Thus they are backing their work ethic and ability to provide a sevice worthy of a tip. If this standard isnt reached then why so they be tipped. Others argue that if the company paid staff higher wages then prices would go up, but cruise lines aim for mass market, as such they cannot raise their prices and they would become luxury and fail to hit their target market. I dont think that this cruise should be guilted or what seems to me to be a type of bullying into paying tips which he/she does not know a standard of service will merit.

I dont understand why the majority of people on this site get so defensive about tipping staff. I dont fully understand tipping staff for doing their job either. Ive seen it argued that they rely on tips to make up for poor wages but they are surely aware of these conditions when they take the job. Thus they are backing their work ethic and ability to provide a sevice worthy of a tip. If this standard isnt reached then why so they be tipped. Others argue that if the company paid staff higher wages then prices would go up, but cruise lines aim for mass market, as such they cannot raise their prices and they would become luxury and fail to hit their target market. I dont think that this cruise should be guilted or what seems to me to be a type of bullying into paying tips which he/she does not know a standard of service will merit.

Bullying is the buzz word of the moment. I hate it when people use it when it isn't appropriate. The poster asked for people's opinions and that's what they got. Just because they aren't necessarily the answer they were looking for does not make it bullying.

What I don't understand is the logic of people that say they don't come from a culture that deals with tipping. That is irrelevant. When I travel to other countries I follow the customs for that country. I don't say I'm not from somewhere that does this so I refuse. If you don't want to adhere to local customs the don't travel outside your country. The old adage applies: when in Rome...

But she wasn't concerned about standard of service. Her concern was $504 for 6 people seemed too much in her opinion. So the hand slapping for giving opinions based on what she asked could be construed as bullying as well - your words.

If I had ever had issues with the crew on any of my past sailings I would whole heartedly agree with you. However, I have only had staff who has gone above what I would have expected. It seems like many excpect the creew to be their servants for the duration, then squabbling about giving them a tip. That is whete I have an issue.

We have our first "family" cruise with all 5 of our kids booked for 2014. I made sure that I pre-paid my gratuities so that the tips are taken care of and I don't have to come up with a big chunk of change at the end of the cruise. This way the tips are seen more as "part of the price of cruising" and I am still free to tip extra in cash if I feel necessary....and with 5 kids, ages 10 and under, it may very well be necessary!

Your kids are several years older than mine and I will still most likely expect the oldest 2 or 3 to do some extra chores/odd jobs to either earn their own spending money or help with the tips. If any of your teens have jobs or babysitting money, etc. I think it would be perfectly reasonable for them to contribute to the tips. I am not suggesting that they have to pay their own way for the cruise, but having the entire family contribute to a "family" vacation in whatever way they are capable sounds reasonable to me.

Another option....If you are planning on giving the teens a daily spending limit, subtract it by $12 per person per day.

Having a large family is a blessing, but it comes with its own set of challenges as well. I hope your teens understand that they are able to take this vacation because of your hard work and that there will be hundreds (or more) of crew members working hard to make it a great experience for them.

Have a great trip and enjoy the time you have to spend with your family!

Archived