tipping

I have booked my 10th cruise, first ever with RCI and first time taking our teenagers. There will be 6 of us all together, the 4 teens in an inside cabin across the hall from our balcony cabin. I have always tipped extra to staff that stands out on my cruises, cabin stewards, waitstaff, bartenders etc... However I am torn on this upcoming trip about the $12/day per guest. I understand I have the option of stopping the automatic daily gratuities and tip as I see fit, I also understand the importance of this money to the staff. However tipping over $500 for my family seems excessive to me. Has anyone traveled with this many kids and how have you handled tipping?

As you cab see the OP is concerned about the level of service as he/she says they would "tip as I see fit ". I am sure that no-one would tip if they receive bad service.

And while most posters gave their opinion ( which I taught they were very forceful in doing ) one posters wished bad karma on te OP which is very bad form.

As for following local customs, majority of Americans that come to Ireland have no idea how local people conduct themselves often breaking everyday banal customs

No, I do not see $12.00 per day per person spread out over multiple crew members excessive. The number in your party is irrelevant.

I think this is important to remember. At first I was thinking, "Wow, those tip numbers add up quickly." Granted I had only taken my first sip of my morning coffee. Then it dawned on me that those $12/pp/pd are spread over four or more employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I've done a variety of thing to "lessen the blow". One time I made envelopes with each person's name on them. Over the months before the cruise I would stick in a few dollars here and there. Also, I saved coins and exchanged for cash before the cruise. I realize that it adds up but I also know that teenagers tend to create more work. Mostly we prepay so that we have that expense behind us.

One cruise, my three teens shared an inside cabin. Just dealing with the chaos in the room was bad enough. My oldest son came down with noro and was confined to his room for a period. I cannot even begin to tell you how incredible the cabin attendant was. To say she went above and beyond is an understatement. The last day, all three teens were shoving cash at us to add to the tip envelope.

I dont understand why the majority of people on this site get so defensive about tipping staff. I dont fully understand tipping staff for doing their job either.

I wouldn't worry about understanding the rationale. The thing to keep in mind is that these employees are hired with the understanding that their income in primarily generated from tips. And when we cruise, we know that and tip accordingly. To me, it doesn't really matter if I (or anyone else) agrees with the policy, it is what it is. There are all inclusive cruise lines that include tips as part of the cruise fare. Perhaps the other lines will follow suit one day.

But not tipping, only hurts one group. The group that is working hardest to make our vacation enjoyable.

We just consider the minimum gratuities to be a "service charge" and leave it at that. Anything we tip above and beyond, we consider a "tip".

Bullying is the buzz word of the moment. I hate it when people use it when it isn't appropriate. The poster asked for people's opinions and that's what they got. Just because they aren't necessarily the answer they were looking for does not make it bullying.

What I don't understand is the logic of people that say they don't come from a culture that deals with tipping. That is irrelevant. When I travel to other countries I follow the customs for that country. I don't say I'm not from somewhere that does this so I refuse. If you don't want to adhere to local customs the don't travel outside your country. The old adage applies: when in Rome...

A cruise ship sailing out of the UK should by your reasoning be "when in UK"......ok we do not have a tipping culture here that is anything like the usa. We generally tip 10% for good service in restaurants and taxis and bar staff......

But I am not saying that to defend lack of tipping.....I pointed out earlier in the thread that perhaps the whole system needs an overhaul......

I wonder if there is a tax break for the ship owners by not including tips in wages????

Btw I always tip more than the min suggested but I do think the system is flawed and if find the holier than thou attitude of most of the posters a little nauseating.

I would imagine that a lot of first time cruisers share the OPs view that the level of tipping is a little excessive. Particularly those from the UK or other cultures that don't have the same attitude to tipping as Americans (in general)

A cruise ship sailing out of the UK should by your reasoning be "when in UK"......ok we do not have a tipping culture here that is anything like the usa. We generally tip 10% for good service in restaurants and taxis and bar staff......

But I am not saying that to defend lack of tipping.....I pointed out earlier in the thread that perhaps the whole system needs an overhaul......

I wonder if there is a tax break for the ship owners by not including tips in wages????

Btw I always tip more than the min suggested but I do think the system is flawed and if find the holier than thou attitude of most of the posters a little nauseating.

I would imagine that a lot of first time cruisers share the OPs view that the level of tipping is a little excessive. Particularly those from the UK or other cultures that don't have the same attitude to tipping as Americans (in general)

When in Rome still applies because regardless of where they are sailing they follow the US tipping culture. Some cruise lines call it tipping and make it able to be removed and some just call it a service charge and don't allow it to be removed but the end result is the same which is it is done to tip the crew members.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with the system, it isn't going to change. It saves companies a ton of money to have to pay very little wages to people in these positions. The only change I see would be that it becomes mandatory on all cruise lines and you are tipping whether you want to or not.

And as far as the holier than thou comment, sorry that you think that because some people feel that if someone serves you they deserve to be compensated, and this somehow makes you think they feel they are better or above others.

Thank for the clarification......it is a tax thing! I agree it is unlikely to change any time soon!

I therefore feel for the staff. Cruising is being sold as all inclusive type holiday. I am sure that many first time cruisers stiff the staff on tips.......they are not made aware at the time of booking what exactly is EXPECTED.....so human nature and the tipping culture of the cruisers homeland will certainly kick in!

Prepaid for all cruisers has to be the way to go..........

How do first time cruisers know that.......I'm sure they don't!

Having been born and raised in the UK, but now a US resident for many years, fully understand the cultural differences, etc.

That being said, I think that many travel agents mislead customers by saying cruising is all inclusive when it really is not. Hopefully first-time cruisers do some research before booking such a cruise.

We cruise frequently, but also often stay at land-based all-inclusives, e.g. Sandals comes to mind. Most all inclusive resorts specifically state that tips and gratuities are included. If I were to book an all inclusive or a cruise, unless it stated tips were included, I would assume they were not.

With 4 teens in an inside cabin the steward will more than earn his tips! Agree with other posters, when you eat at home in a restaurant you would have to "tip for 6 people" so why not on a cruise.

I have to agree. We took my Grandson and a friend on a cruise for his high school graduation present. I did the auto tips and I knew that my Grandson LOVES ordering late night room service. I put money in an envelope...mostly ones and a few fives to surprise them with tip money for room service. They were thrilled because when I handed them the envelope, they had already taken an envelope from in the desk drawer and each had contributed ones and fives for easy access to tip money for room service. My Grandson has been cruising since he was 3 so he knew that he was to tip for room service. He also knows that trashing his cabin will not cut it! We had to go by their cabin one morning because they didn't show up on time to leave for an excursion. They were late because they overslept and were putting things away before leaving, knowing that the steward would be by to clean the room. While there were things "stuffed" into the closet and shelves, and dirty towels were covering the bathroom floors, the room was okay. I know the stewards dread finding out they have a room with teens, so more than anything else, I want to make sure that they get tipped well. I just add the cost of the tips to what the cruise cost is per person and that's the cost I pay for each person on the cruise.

Firstly I think it does not say much good about training for adulthood for teenagers to be allowed to trash their room. That's just pure laziness. The problem is the term "tips" these charges on cruise lines are a wages subsidy...I leave the hotel charge on I accept it is what the norm is on a cruise...I tip more if I receive outstanding service over and above reasonable expectations.

The stewards have enough to do and not a lot of time to do it in...ask your kids to be a little considerate of the staff and just leave the hotel charge on.

Sue

I fail to see the issue here. The recommended gratuities are 12 pp/pd. The fact you're footing the bill for 6 people isn't relevant. The staff will do the same amount of work whether you are paying for the 3 cabins or they are 3 separate groups of 2.

I have booked my 10th cruise, first ever with RCI and first time taking our teenagers. There will be 6 of us all together, the 4 teens in an inside cabin across the hall from our balcony cabin. I have always tipped extra to staff that stands out on my cruises, cabin stewards, waitstaff, bartenders etc... However I am torn on this upcoming trip about the $12/day per guest. I understand I have the option of stopping the automatic daily gratuities and tip as I see fit, I also understand the importance of this money to the staff. However tipping over $500 for my family seems excessive to me. Has anyone traveled with this many kids and how have you handled tipping?

From a downunder perspective so, not a country with a 'tipping culture':

- arranging 1st cruise with TA (2011), I had NO knowledge on cruising. TA asked what did I want to do re tips and gratuities. I asked about options - she said we could prepay or could pay in cash onboard. I said ok lets do prepay it'll make it easier. Onboard we were WOW'ed by the staff - we gladly paid extra in cash.

- next 2 cruises were co-charters - T&G were included in cruise fare - we gave extra in cash

- 4th cruise elected to prepay T&G again & again gave extra in cash

- 5th cruise - upcoming and we have prepaid T&G and expect we will give extra, as we know we will be wow'ed again

These people went above and beyond and deserved extra. We would never think to stiff these guys and gals. If you by some chance do have bad service, complain and deduct that persons tips for that day or even altogether if you see fit. Don't take it out on others.

Last point - tips should be on a per person basis, even if you have children in your party, and then you should likely tip more.

Happy cruising.

You seem to realize how important your gratuities are to the crew. You might want to either start budgeting now or depending on how old your teenagers are ask them to help out with these gratuities. I am sure they can get odd jobs around the neighborhood to help with this expense.

This would be a good time to teach them the value of how the ship's crew works extra hard to earn a living.

Hi. Coming from the UK I’m not all that used to tipping, and have always pre-paid gratuities when cruising with RCI in the past. Reading some of the comments here, and preparing for our forthcoming cruise I’m thinking that I should make sure I can tip for good service but have been wondering just how this is actually done. Do you tip via the on-board account, or are the additional tips done in cash. If in cash – what currency should be used or does it matter?

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Hi. Coming from the UK I’m not all that used to tipping, and have always pre-paid gratuities when cruising with RCI in the past. Reading some of the comments here, and preparing for our forthcoming cruise I’m thinking that I should make sure I can tip for good service but have been wondering just how this is actually done. Do you tip via the on-board account, or are the additional tips done in cash. If in cash – what currency should be used or does it matter?

You will be left an envelope with the room stewart's name on it and also 1 other in case you want to reward someone else for excellent service. This is all optional and not required.

Standard tips are either prepaid on your original bill, or they are posted daily to your seapass account if you chose not to prepay. Bar tab and drink tabs have an additional 15% added automatically for the tip.

Additional tips, at your discretion should you decide to do that, can be in any currency, although I believe the American dollar is the most universally used and preferred.

Your room steward may leave an envelope (we recently did not receive any envelopes from our steward), or if you prefer you can pick blank envelopes up at guest services should you desire to tip extra and wish to put money in an envelope. Or you can just fold the money and give with a "hand shake and thanks."

If you wish to tip a waiter/bartender extra usually people just give them the cash.

It is also customary to tip for room service delivery as they are not included in the prepaid or daily posted tips, and again cash is used.

Hope that helps - enjoy your cruise.

You will be left an envelope with the room stewart's name on it and also 1 other in case you want to reward someone else for excellent service. This is all optional and not required.

I don't think they are doing this any more. The last couple of cruises I have been on we did not get any envelopes. We did have pre-paid gratuities if that matters.

It is a lot of money. Unfortunately, that is how the staff working on a cruise ship get paid.

It is akin to a waitress whose "salary" is about $3 per hour. The workers' "salary" is a pittance. They are really paid via "tips."

Yes, it is a charade. No, I don't like it either - for many reasons. I'm happy that we can pre-pay the "tips" and just ignore the game. Those tips are part of the travel cost.

I totally agree with this. Have the kids earn money to help pay their own tips.

old[/u] your teenagers are ask them to help out with these gratuities. I am sure they can get odd jobs around the neighborhood to help with this expense.

This would be a good time to teach them the value of how the ship's crew works extra hard to earn a living.

I don't think they are doing this any more. The last couple of cruises I have been on we did not get any envelopes. We did have pre-paid gratuities if that matters.

They haven't on the last couple I have been on. I did pre-paid as well so that is way. I just ask for a couple and the steward handed some to me.

OT, but when I was in the UK, most tabs in restaurants mentioned that service was not included, so I left in between a 15 and 20% tip, as I do in the US. The tabs usually had a line to fill in the tip amount, same with the machine-thing to pay with credit card.

Is this not a custom in the UK? Should I not be tipping next time I go to London?

Archived