Grave situation on the Danube

phoebecat

The current water mark in Passau is 8.96 m and falling more each hour, one should not forget that the Danube is still over 40 cm over the highest warneing level 4 (code red). Holding our breath as the weather forecast for next Sunday and Monday is for heavy rain fall. If it is not too heavy to impact the Danube level, it may be a blessing in disguise in order to help get rif of the sludge in the street.

It is predicted that the Danube will retreat to it's river course (still in flood) on Saturday or Sunday then once the mud has been clean up the mooring berths can be inspected. The initial damage assessment in Passau has identified 900 building and businesses that have been hit with a first estimate of $130 million damage.

Most shops and businesses will open asap (weeks not months) as they will need the turnover to help to cover their losses. Sadly some may never reopen. In the lower lying areas of Passau it was impossible to get flood insurance cover. In 6 months the only visible signs of the flood will be a new high water mark on the town hall and some builds that have not been repainted.

This flood has pulled the community together, neighbour helping neighbour, help both physical and material has been pouring in from all over Germany. People are making meals, sandwiches, drinks and making cakes and distributing them amongst the volunteers. This is something that has never been seen before in Germany, not even during the last flood in 2002. Some reports say that social media sites (Twitter, Facebook etc.) made a great impact in that help appeals could be sent out and those willing to help could be immediately directed to where the help was needed.

1st. photo shows a park that is on the River Inn, looks like about a meter of mud has been left behind. Heavy earth moving machinery is work round the clock to remove the mud

2nd. Multi story car park with the flood doors in place.

3rd. Danube slowing sinking

4th. People's lives and dreams ruined and lying in piles.

I will try to take photos of the same areas of the shots that I have already posted, so that you can see how things are progressing.

Ron

20130606_114306.jpg.478f1a7aeb6f7226c59067e784f47cec.jpg

20130606_122725.jpg.7bc10d24fb24764473f721f6ca16a0b9.jpg

20130606_122728.jpg.0dd593e146878af9868b00972a33eb05.jpg

20130606_123050.jpg.73e9b656f61fb564813939bedd9cc8dd.jpg

Ron and others, thank you so much for your ongoing posts that keep us up to date on the situation. My prayers go out to the people of the affected areas. Isn't it wonderful when everyone pulls together to help each other. Blessings to all.

to Terri (tbrein),

Tauck has been posting on their website and Facebook page for several days now. Your river boat trip isn't until the middle of July and they have been working very hard at headquarters and Europe to made some decisions on the river cruises for this week and next. We have been on over 19 Tauck tours including six small boats and are thoroughly happy with their customer service. I don't know if you read the posts on their website from happy passengers about their great customer service during this horrendous situation.

A big shoutout to all the posters from Europe who are keeping us all informed as to current situations.

Sheila

This site has been so informative. I really appreciate the posts from those "on the ground" so we all know what is really happening. We depart June 23 from Prague to Budapest with Avalon. Avalon ha been excellent in keeping us informed a well

to Terri (tbrein),

Tauck has been posting on their website and Facebook page for several days now. Your river boat trip isn't until the middle of July and they have been working very hard at headquarters and Europe to made some decisions on the river cruises for this week and next. We have been on over 19 Tauck tours including six small boats and are thoroughly happy with their customer service. I don't know if you read the posts on their website from happy passengers about their great customer service during this horrendous situation.

A big shoutout to all the posters from Europe who are keeping us all informed as to current situations.

Sheila

Thank you Sheila. I am aware of that. I have been in touch with them about our transfers. I have been on their website and have posted there many times. Have a different name there. I am aware of many happy Tauck travelers and hope to be one soon too.

Terri

To Terri,

I'm quite sure you will become a happy Tauck traveler, also.

Happy sailing,

Sheila

Thanks Sheila, looking forward to it and praying to the rain gods to keep the floods away. We've been preparing for this cruise for a year and are looking at another Tauck trip for next year.

Terri

Ron, ingo_e, UKBayerm and steamboats have provided us with great reporting during this disaster.

Since the webcam went down in Passau, I have been searching for other webcams along the Danube to try and add more info to the stories,predictions, etc expressed on the many posts here.

I found this LIVE webcam in Budapest that appears to be close to the Chain Bridge (can't tell in the dark) and is live as I can see car head lights on the road..it is 3 am Budapest time.

Since the forecast looks bad with more rain coming over the weekend, this picture might change dramatically....let's hope not.

http://www.earthcam.com/world/hungary/budapest/

I am booked on this cruise and after all I'm reading I can't believe Viking is not canceling. Any advice?

They just put this update on their web site.

14. June 16th Danube Waltz (Budapest to Passau) aboard Viking Legend — This itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

Viking if you are listing, please explain how this trip will be what I signed up for?

I wondered why we haven't heard from many of those who were on or currently are in the middle of their cruise. I found this post on the 'River Cruising Roll Calls' under 'Scenic Rolls Calls'.This was posted two days ago and doesn't sound promising....

June 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM

KazLoudspeaker

Cool Cruiser

So lucky!!!!

We are currently cruising past Novi Sad, Serbia and have been ahead of the first wave of flood waters since we left Nuremberg 5 hours earlier than scheduled to ensure we could get under one of the lowest bridges. The water levels rose about 1m whilst we were berthed in Budapest and they were in the process of closing the lower access roads as they were about to go under water. We passed the Sapphire which is stuck about Durnstein and the Pearl that could not go any further than Vienna. It is just lucky we are going the 'right' way and the Danube is much wider and no low bridges. Only one lock to go at the Iron Gates which shouldn't be a problem.

scenic crystal may 20,2013

The Danube levels continue to recede currently in Passau they stand at 8.19 m (15:00).

The next two important levels will be:

7.20 m This is when the Danube would overflow onto the promenade or the last area to be flooded.

6.30 m Highest level which low silhouetted boats could (repeat could possibly be) allowed to pass under the low suspension bridge. No such authorisation has been given and no indication when such passage would be allowed. This is purely information for normal river activity - which we are currently not in.

Even when the Danube reaches normal levels there is no automatic green light that ships can move at will, first he infrastructure has to be assessed and any remedial action will have to be taken before any movement will be allowed.

Ron

Great webcam remydiva. I've been looking at the similar one in Amsterdam for the past month now and when I realized there's lots of that type of webcam around the world spent a couple hours last night visiting various cities. We'll be able to watch the surge as it gets to Budapest, maybe Monday?

A friend and her Mom are currently on an AMA river cruise (Amsterdam to Budapest). Day 3 and so far so good.....no issues. They are still on the Rhine right now though. The weather has been great too.

The only change they had was that the boat they were supposed to be on was stuck in Budapest so they are on the boat that was supposed to be going the opposite direction, which had been stuck in Amsterdam. At this point they have been told that they may, depending on water levels, have to be bussed between some areas. It sounds like boats are stuck in various places along the rivers. So perhaps a bit of a pain having to switch boats for parts of the trip but lets hope it doesn't come to that.

She's posting daily updates of her trip, so if they encounter any problems I'll post back.

Fingers crossed for them that the rivers all subside and they don't run into any problems.

Great webcam remydiva. I've been looking at the similar one in Amsterdam for the past month now and when I realized there's lots of that type of webcam around the world spent a couple hours last night visiting various cities. We'll be able to watch the surge as it gets to Budapest, maybe Monday?

Just looked at the Budapest webcam now and it looks to me that the water is considerably higher up the support columns of the Chain Bridge in background (still light out) but cars still can be seen driving over it.

The next 48 hrs will tell the tale.

I am booked on this cruise and after all I'm reading I can't believe Viking is not canceling. Any advice?

They just put this update on their web site.

14. June 16th Danube Waltz (Budapest to Passau) aboard Viking Legend — This itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

Viking if you are listing, please explain how this trip will be what I signed up for?

You still have a week. A lot can change in a week. Remember it only took hours for the water to go up.

The Danube levels continue to recede currently in Passau they stand at 8.19 m (15:00).

The next two important levels will be:

7.20 m This is when the Danube would overflow onto the promenade or the last area to be flooded.

6.30 m Highest level which low silhouetted boats could (repeat could possibly be) allowed to pass under the low suspension bridge. No such authorisation has been given and no indication when such passage would be allowed. This is purely information for normal river activity - which we are currently not in.

Even when the Danube reaches normal levels there is no automatic green light that ships can move at will, first he infrastructure has to be assessed and any remedial action will have to be taken before any movement will be allowed.

Ron

Thanks for this Ron, it's really very helpful to have it spelled out in such terms. If you can keep such updates coming over the next week, I for one, would be very appreciative. Hanging on to see if our 22 June sailing will go ahead - don't mind the odd bus or ship swap, happy to make adjustments, but would just like to get some idea of what might be in store!

Thanks for this Ron, it's really very helpful to have it spelled out in such terms. If you can keep such updates coming over the next week, I for one, would be very appreciative. Hanging on to see if our 22 June sailing will go ahead - don't mind the odd bus or ship swap, happy to make adjustments, but would just like to get some idea of what might be in store!

I see youmhave a viking njord cruise coming up soon ( we were on her dec passau to budapest). In case you didnt see, here is todays updated news and info from viking which have yet to post to,their own thread ( so i did). Here it is formyou and others...seems reasonable and well laid out.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/about/vikingnews_v2.aspx

CENTRAL EUROPE WEATHER UPDATE - JUNE 8, 2013

Dear Viking Guests,

We understand that you are concerned and have questions about your upcoming travels to Europe. Please know that we are in constant contact with our Swiss operations team – managing the schedules of those guests currently in Europe and planning for upcoming departures. In many instances, due to having the largest fleet in river cruising combined with our in-house nautical and operations team in Switzerland, we are able to continue operating our itineraries through careful planning and switching of sister ships. In every decision we make, the safety of our guests and crew remains our top priority.

Due to the unprecedented and severe flooding throughout areas of central Europe, we have decided to make the necessary itinerary alterations below.

For questions about the following altered departures, guests can call Customer Service at 1.800.706.1483. Please understand that we are experiencing high call volumes and your wait time to speak to a customer service consultant may be longer than usual.

Please note: Below is a complete list of affected sailings as of June 8, 2013.

Water levels have now begun to recede on the upper Danube, Rhine and Main Rivers; Viking has a large number of vessels in the affected areas and is therefore able to use sister ships to substitute for the originally assigned vessels where needed and to operate cruises with minor modifications. For example, we will substitute a visit to the Bavarian capital of Munich for the scheduled walking tour of Passau as long as that city is dealing with the cleanup. If you do not see your cruise listed below, it means that we plan to operate these as scheduled, possibly with modifications as those described above. We expect cruises after June 21 to operate normally again.

Itinerary Modifications

1. June 9th Rhine Getaway (Basel to Amsterdam) aboard Viking Sun — This cruise will now take place on sister ship, Viking Helvetia. Aside from the different ship, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with only minor (if any) additional alterations necessary.

2. June 9th Rhine Getaway (Amsterdam to Basel) aboard Viking Helvetia — This cruise will now take place on sister ship, Viking Sun. Aside from the different ship, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with only minor (if any) additional alterations necessary.

3. June 9th Grand European Tour (Amsterdam to Budapest) aboard Viking Var — This cruise will begin on Viking Prestige, where guests will board in Amsterdam, as originally scheduled. When Viking Prestige meets up with the Viking Var along the river, guests will transfer to their original ship and the itinerary will then proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations necessary. We do not currently anticipate being able to visit the city of Passau.

4. June 12th Grand European Tour (Budapest to Amsterdam) aboard Viking Sky — This cruise will begin on Viking Legend. Due to water levels, the ship will not be in the normal port of embarkation. Viking representatives will meet all guests at the airport—regardless of whether or not air/transfers were purchased from Viking—and transport guests to where the ship is. There will also be a representative at the normal port of embarkation near the Chain Bridge in Budapest, along with transportation to the ship’s current docking location. When Viking Legend meets up with the Viking Sky along the Danube River, guests will be transferred to their original ship and the itinerary will then proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations necessary.

5. June 14th Cities of Light (Prague to Paris) aboard Viking Prestige — This cruise is expected to proceed as scheduled.

6. June 15th Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg) aboard Viking Njord — There is a possibility that this cruise will now take place on a sister ship (Longship, built 2012). Aside from the possible ship switch, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

7. June 15th Romantic Danube (Nuremberg to Budapest) aboard Viking Idun — There is a possibility that this cruise will now take place on a sister ship (Longship, built 2012). Aside from the possible ship switch, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

8. June 15th Passage to Eastern Europe (Budapest to Bucharest) aboard Viking Aegir — This cruise is expected to proceed as scheduled.

9. June 16th Grand European Tour (Amsterdam to Budapest) aboard Viking Bragi — There is a possibility this cruise will now take place on a sister ship (Longship, built 2013). Aside from the possible ship switch, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

10. June 16th Grand European Tour (Budapest to Amsterdam) aboard Viking Skadi — There is a possibility this cruise will now take place on a sister ship (Longship, built 2013). Aside from the possible ship switch, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

11. June 16th Danube Waltz (Budapest to Passau) aboard Viking Legend — This itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

12. June 16th Romantic Danube (Nuremberg to Budapest) aboard MS Vienna — Depending on river conditions and the ability of the ship to reach its port of embarkation in time for departure, this cruise may experience alterations. We will continue to monitor the situation closely in the coming weeks and if necessary, we will contact guests ahead of departure to alert them of possible changes.

13. June 16th Vineyards & Vistas (Nuremberg to Trier) aboard Viking Prestige — This cruise is expected to proceed as scheduled.

14. June 16th Rhine Getaway (Amsterdam to Basel) aboard Viking Sun — This cruise is expected to proceed as scheduled.

15. June 16th Rhine Getaway (Basel to Amsterdam) aboard Viking Helvetia — This cruise is expected to proceed as scheduled.

16. June 19th Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg) aboard Viking Odin — There is a possibility that this cruise will now take place on a sister ship (Longship, built 2012). Aside from the possible ship switch, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

17. June 19th Romantic Danube (Nuremberg to Budapest) aboard Viking Freya — There is a possibility that this cruise will now take place on a sister ship (Longship, built 2012). Aside from the possible ship switch, this itinerary is expected to proceed as scheduled, with minor additional alterations if necessary.

The following sailings have been canceled:

June 8th Elegant Elbe (Berlin to Prague) aboard Viking Schumann

June 8th Elegant Elbe (Prague to Berlin) aboard Viking Fontane

June 8th Romantic Danube (Nuremberg to Budapest) aboard Viking Njord

June 8th Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremburg) aboard Viking Idun

June 9th Grand European Tour (Budapest to Amsterdam) aboard Viking Tor

June 9th Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremburg) aboard Viking Prestige

June 9th Danube Waltz (Passau to Budapest) aboard Viking Legend

June 9th Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg) aboard MS Vienna

June 12th Romantic Danube (Nuremberg to Budapest) aboard Viking Odin

June 12th Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg) aboard Viking Freya

Unfortunately conditions to these specific sailings prevented us from being able to provide a modified itinerary. Guests (and their travel agents) will be contacted directly by Viking Cruises via email. Additionally a Customer Relations representative will contact you over the next few days to discuss your booking. You can also contact Customer Relations at 1.877.523.0579, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., PDT. For after hours and weekends you can email us at customerrelations@vikingrivercruises.com.

Up-to-Date Information

Other guests scheduled to sail in Europe during the summer should assume that their cruise is still scheduled for departure and anticipated to operate the planned itinerary. If there is a need to alter or cancel any sailings, guests will be notified by Viking via email as soon as we are aware of any necessary changes.

This level of flooding is extremely unusual and we will continue to monitor and evaluate the situation closely. The most up-to-date information regarding the floods will continue to be posted here on the website.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Seeing Munich instead of Passau...I would not be unhappy with that change if it had to be on my cruise. I don't think Munich is very far from Nuremburg. Unfortunately sounds like a bus ride, but still not too terrible.

My cruise is suppose to end in Passau. Then we have the 3 day add on to Prague via a bus ride. I am really worried about the condition of all the cities in the area. I am really hoping they cancel my trip but thats not looking good.

Anyone know, is there a river that goes from the Danbue to Munich? Or I am I going to end up with a bus tour instead of a river cruise?

Viking please consider your guests. This is not what we planned for. Mother nature is one thing but when cities have been devastated continuing these trips are just not fair.

Anyone know, is there a river that goes from the Danbue to Munich? Or I am I going to end up with a bus tour instead of a river cruise?

There is a river that flows through Munich to the Danube, it's called "Isar".

Unfortunately it is not navigable at all.

Munich and the surrounding area is well worth a visit, a great fun city.

Passau is 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive to Munich.

Ron

My cruise is suppose to end in Passau. Then we have the 3 day add on to Prague via a bus ride. I am really worried about the condition of all the cities in the area. I am really hoping they cancel my trip but thats not looking good.

Viking please consider your guests. This is not what we planned for. Mother nature is one thing but when cities have been devastated continuing these trips are just not fair.

Thanks remydiva for posting the Viking update, I hadn't seen it, so much appreciated.

Herbaru, if your cruise ends in passau, it's more likely than not you won't be docked there, but further downstream. It's then a three hour, possibly four, coach ride to Prague. If you don't want to go to Munich you can stay in the ship.

To be frank, with our own departure pending on 22 June, I'm happy to go with the flow. Viking and other lines appear to be doing all they can. Viking are certainly cancelling if the logistics make a boat trip impossible, as shown by their list of departures aborted this week and next. I don't expect to have a full trip along the Danube come 22 June, but I'm happy to take the coach and maybe have some extra adventures along the way. At the end of the day, it's only a vacation, and if it isn't exactly what I paid for, well, these things happen. It's not the end of the world. After all, we haven't just lost our houses and all our worldly goods to a massive flood, have we? So a few changes to our vacation really aren't the be all and end all.

phoebecat - GREAT ATTITUDE! Just go with the flow. We've been there and done that and sometimes it's been a more memorable adventure. I understand that you are spending a small fortune for the cruise and don't want to be on a much cheaper land cruise but currently there aren't many options. If you end up on a bus so be it. If the cruise companies are compensating.....so much the better.

I especially feel for all those great workers on the ships that will not have the income (and gratuities)they would have had the cruises were operating.

I think the cruises companies are doing the best they can under these circumstances.

Ingo, good luck, I see the A3 Autobahn is still closed, might be a long detour.

Have a good and safe journey.

Thanks, was quite a long journey (just returned on Saturday). I am writing a report at the moment on my impressions.

Off Topic:

More photos from Passau, taken today:

1. German police water cannon being used to clean the streets

I did not knew the Bavarian Police owns the WaWe 10, thought they still use the 9 Version :)

Thanks, was quite a long journey (just returned on Saturday). I am writing a report at the moment on my impressions.

Off Topic:

I did not knew the Bavarian Police owns the WaWe 10, thought they still use the 9 Version :)

Glad you made back safely.

I don't know WaWe 9 from 10 having nothing to do with the police (weel at least not caught;)). In the space of about 200 m there were 3 water cannon, 2x 9s and 1x 10, all with Bamberg number plates.

There are at least 3 water cannon cleaning up the A3 by Deggendorf.

a2.jpg.fb23c50a774944c6108aa2f776e005b1.jpg

The Danube level is now at 7.58 m, falling all the time.

About 3000 students are helping in the clean up. On the Facebook page "Passau raumt auf" - community, it's in German but just have a look at the photos. This was set up by the students. Passau inhabitants are so proud of their students they have been given the nickname "Our Treasure".

Ron

a3.jpg.e10837976287da1f41e35d87e3a663b1.jpg

Archived