Question for us "bad" cruisers out there - getting booze on the ship

cruiser05

So i know many people have all mentioned their previous successes in sneaking on beverages that we are not supposed to.

I am curious as to this....i know they allow 1 bottle of wine per person above 21 in your carry on.

Do they inspect these bottles or just pass them through the xray machine?

We have 4 people above 21 traveling with us and were wondering if we saved some empties...filled them with our own choice of beverage and recorked them... would they be noticed?

For those of you who are going to say "how about just follow the rules" and just pay for your drinks like everyone else.....I appreciate your input but please save it.

I still plan on purchasing Cheers as well as we will probably be buying some bottles to be in our room waiting for us, but for 4 former college football linemen, we want to be sure we have enough without spending thousands.

So i know many people have all mentioned their previous successes in sneaking on beverages that we are not supposed to.

I am curious as to this....i know they allow 1 bottle of wine per person above 21 in your carry on.

We have 4 people above 21 traveling with us and were wondering if we saved some empties...filled them with our own choice of beverage and recorked them... would they be noticed?

For those of you who are going to say "how about just follow the rules" and just pay for your drinks like everyone else.....I appreciate your input but please save it.

I still plan on purchasing Cheers as well as we will probably be buying some bottles to be in our room waiting for us, but for 4 former college football linemen, we want to be sure we have enough without spending thousands.

I've never noticed close inspection of my wine bottles. In fact, I don't think they have ever taken the bottles out of my carry on for a visual inspection. They have always sailed through.

Some times they inspect the bottles and soda cans one by one, visually .. and sometimes they dont. Its a matter of luck. I think some days they say .. we are going to visually inspect everything that comes thru today for the next 2 hours. It seems to go in waves, where they inspect everyone for a while and no one for a while.

probably be ok,

if y'all need that much booze, then you might need to look at yourself and check into AA.

understandable. i am the tiniest of the 4 at 295. While my roommate and i are buying the cheers program, its more so the other two who are not sure if funding will allow for that.

While 2 people drinking 15 a day for 7 days, roughly 210 drinks; a few bottles for the other two would be comparable.

we will just have to see how old port authority is feeling that day i guess...

I would say hit and miss too. these past 2 weekends out of Norfolk they did have me take the bottles out to look at them. and they did shake every water bottle that went through. other times they just asked if that was a wine bottle and I said yes.

In Galveston they checked each bottle of wine, pretty carefully, opened each 12 pack of cokes and cut the plastic on the case of water, shook every bottle of water. We had 11 people in our group.

Well, well, well, aren't you a clever one.

:rolleyes: Not that I would try such a thing, that would be ...... um, wrong. ;)

Well, well, well, aren't you a clever one.

:rolleyes: Not that I would try such a thing, that would be ...... um, wrong. ;)

im sure im the first person who has ever thought of this ;)

but by some of the posts ive read on here...if this wont work,some other CC members have some pretty brilliant ways that they share that they have "heard of other people using" ;)

Why don't you just refill screw top wine bottles. Not as obvious as a cork.

No one checked our two wine bottles we carried on Glory last week. They did swirl the water bottles in our carry on bags.

I packed rum runners in my checked bags filled with vodka. They made it to the cabin without a problem.

Sounds like a good time to me! When are u cruising? Lol...i brought a botyle of champagne on and thay never even looked at it, the girl i was with brought the same and they looked at hers..so i think it depends on the mood of the person checking lol

Sounds like a good time to me! When are u cruising? Lol...i brought a botyle of champagne on and thay never even looked at it, the girl i was with brought the same and they looked at hers..so i think it depends on the mood of the person checking lol

We are new years on the Splendor out of NYC.

I had the same experience as Flounder did in Galveston last year on the Magic. My DBF and I had our Pop and Water examined to the Nines!! They shook the water, looked at each bottle individually, and checked each pop can to make sure they had not been tampered with. They also did the exact same thing in Long Beach when we were on the Splendor in 2010. For our Legend Cruise in 2011 it seemed to be a more relaxed atmosphere and while things were looked at, it wasn't examined like we were fugitives!!

What about at the ports one visits? What is the best way to get your shore purchases onboard?

They take it from you when you get back on the ship and return it to you on the last night.

Some times they inspect the bottles and soda cans one by one, visually .. and sometimes they dont. Its a matter of luck. I think some days they say .. we are going to visually inspect everything that comes thru today for the next 2 hours. It seems to go in waves, where they inspect everyone for a while and no one for a while.

Exactly, and I tend to believe that it might also depend on the embarkation Port. When we sail out of Miami we never get a second glance, but at the Port of Tampa all guests were asked to remove any alcohol from carry on bags for inspection.

Archived