amy hood

Anyone ever purchase over the 5 liter of alcohol allowed by customs?

I was wondering how mcuh the duty would be and where we pay it if we purchase extra for gifts back home. We are sailing the eastern carb. int.:confused: No we are not lushes but we do have a large faimly.:D

Thanks!!!

I know I was just wondering if anyone knows the percentage of duty that will be added. I have a freind who always buy over the limit and she says that she has never had to pay the duty. She just shows to declare them where ever on board she is suppose to and that they just tell her she doesn't owe anything. I might add that she also crusing Carnival and that she ahsn't cruised in the last 2 years, but she is sailing in Sept.

My advise is - don't buy so much - as it is too heavy to carry all that off the ship. Having a luggage on wheels will help but at some point you'll have to carry it.

The savings are not that astronomical to go thru all that.

Speaking from experience !:o

Sailed the Caribbean Princess in December. Bought 12 liters of Stoli Vodka for $63.00 in St.Maarten($5.25 each). At the end of the cruise I declared my purchase. I was assessed a duty that amounted to $1.74 per bottle.

What a bargain!!!

I've been giving those babies out as gifts!:D :rolleyes:

Sailed the Caribbean Princess in December. Bought 12 liters of Stoli Vodka for $63.00 in St.Maarten($5.25 each). At the end of the cruise I declared my purchase. I was assessed a duty that amounted to $1.74 per bottle.

What a bargain!!!

I've been giving those babies out as gifts!:D :rolleyes:

Wow, that makes it worth it to invest in booze carriers. Wonder where I can get one? :D

OK, OK, I've been sitting here feeling guilty that I really didn't tell the truth.

Here's the real story....I did not give them out as gifts!!!!LOL:eek:

And...I picked up another 12 bottles in April at the same shop in St.Maarten.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

We always buy more than allowed and depending on the customs agent, we paid very little duty on them. One agent said he didn't collect any duty under $10.00-another made us pay about $4 for 3 bottles.One time a friend brought back 23 bottles and paid only $9.00 on them-granted they were cheap booze, but still a bargain even with the duty.

OK, OK, I've been sitting here feeling guilty that I really didn't tell the truth.

Here's the real story....I did not give them out as gifts!!!!LOL:eek:

And...I picked up another 12 bottles in April at the same shop in St.Maarten.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

And, please, the name and location of the shop is.....................?

Yes please the name and location of the shop would be greatly appreciated by all. DH and I have a drink we love made with stoli vodka.

Thanks

Terri

I have always gone over my limit. As long as you declare it on your form. Many times when I went to the customs with the form, they asked what you bought and where you bought it. Be honest! Usually if its around 10-12 dollars they say go ahead. It's still worth it. I use it for christmas gifts and for my annual Christmas Eve party. It kills me to buy Stoli in the states. It is a pain in the neck to carry it off. We usually put one or two in each suitcase surrounded by clothes. Then carry the rest. Use my wheelie for them.

My advice if you have over the suggested limit of alcohol is just to declare it. Then you have no worries..The penalty is minimal, in fact, we were just signed off and paid nothing additional. Oh and a word to the person who remarked it wasn't worth carting it home, and the cost , so on and so on. FOr one thing, you cannot get everything in the USA that you can get in other places. For example some of the specialty rums from Jamaica. Come on Mon, get real! LOL

I like Crazsea's idea of purchasing them for gifts throughout the year (even tho she was fibbing!! :p )

Does anyone have any good recommendations on where to get good deals on a Western Caribbean itinerary? (Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman).

Thanks!

I am always over my limit and declare the full number of bottles. I have only once had to pay duty on the overage but I always declare the total. The charge is less than $2 a bottle and I select bottles that are at least $5 less than local prices (DC is really cheap) also hard to find selections. Some cognacs are 20-30 less than local $. Last trip I was 4 bottles over w/ 6 from STT and 4 from other islands and the customs agent just signed off on it. Good luck!:)

I think the name of the shop in St. Marten is Caribbean Paradise - turn left on the main street and go about two blocks - little store on the left. Good prices on everything.

Ron

Shhhhh You never know who reads these !

I am a retired customs officer ! OK I am in UK but you never ever know!

Bob

We love the Sangster Rum creams from Jamaica. Our group each bought a bottle, but we drank them all the last night on the ship. I see that there is a website to purchase, has anyone tried this? Someone told me you cannot purchase alchol outside the US and have it shipped in.

:confused: Jeepwomen, are you saying there is no duty assessed on any amount of alcohol you buy in the duty-free shop on board? I thought you were subject to the same limits as in a foreign port. Anybody know for sure?

Just a couple of additional thoughts: The TSA-types in the San Juan airport when we were there would not allow the cardboard liquor case carry-ons in addition to your other carry-on. They were very strict about one carry-on piece of luggage and one personal piece, like a purse or computer. People had to go back to the airline desk and make other arrangements.

Having had luggage come around the carousel dripping wet from liquor bottle breakage, I'd take along plastic bags and double bag my purchases that were in my checked baggage.

I ask at the duty-free shop on board how much I could buy and take back. They told me there was no limit. Don't seem like they would give you false information.They also have specials buy 12 bottles get 15% off

I ask at the duty-free shop on board how much I could buy and take back. They told me there was no limit. Don't seem like they would give you false information.They also have specials buy 12 bottles get 15% off

What they mean, is you can buy as much as you want. If you get caught you will have to pay the taxes. Next time you go through customs, ask them.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_shops.xml

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_exemption.xml

http://www.sealetter.com/Jan-99/alancol.html

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/knowbeforeyougo.ctt/knowbeforeyougo.pdf

I usually pack it in our carryons amd walk right through - with 2500 people walking through - why would they stop me?

Ron

The difference if you're from a state like Washington makes paying the federal duty well, well worth it....Stoli sells onboard for 8.50/liter if you buy a case, and it's $26.60/liter in the stores here. $2/bottle in excise tax is piddly.

Cognac and Scotch are two other products where you can *easily* pay for a few days of your cruise with the liquor savings. I conservatively saved $200 from purchases on a three-night cruise that I paid less than $200 for. ;0)

Eric

coiran

Just notice you were from Oscoda. When I was little we lived in N.E. Ohio and had relatives with a cabin up there. We went up there every summer. Fond memories. Bet I wouldn't recognize it now.

coiran

Just notice you were from Oscoda. When I was little we lived in N.E. Ohio and had relatives with a cabin up there. We went up there every summer. Fond memories. Bet I wouldn't recognize it now.

Don't know how long ago you were here but:

Air Base is gone - property now belongs to Oscoda

We have a K Mart

We have two supermarkets

Lots of Condos have sprung up in the last 15 years

Lake Huron is still here, as is the Famous AuSable River.

Two traffic lights now.

Ron

Don't know how long ago you were here but:

Air Base is gone - property now belongs to Oscoda

We have a K Mart

We have two supermarkets

Lots of Condos have sprung up in the last 15 years

Lake Huron is still here, as is the Famous AuSable River.

Two traffic lights now.

Ron

Last time there was in the 60's

This question is kind of off topic but if you are not 21 but you are over 18 can you buy alcohol in the ports and bring it back on the ship or no? This is my first cruise but people have asked me to bring them backl jamaican rum.

Hi All!

For those that asked where the liquor store was, I just checked for the receipt to find the name. No luck. But it's easy to find.

Get off the water taxi, walk to the main street just off the beach and turn left. Walk down 3 blocks length and look on the right hand side for a BIG RED SIGN with the name of the place on it overhanging the store front.

The owners are from India...very friendly and never pushy. They sell jewelry as well.

If it weren't for the effects of this darn Stoli, I could probably remember the name....LOL

OMG!!!! LOL(brain freeze is over).

I think I just remembered the name!

The name is RAM'S(remember, big RED sign). The Stoli display is right there at the entrance to the store. You can clearly see it as you are walking by!

Good Luck!!!!!!

The savings are not that astronomical to go thru all that.

Your Mileage Will Vary... We brought a large amount of liquor back (St Thomas :D ) and the prices were 30% less easily than US prices, which already are for 25% less product (liter versus 3/4 liter). St Martin had cheaper prices still, but far lower duty free allowance.

Will you save much? for 10 liters :eek: you will. When I visit my birthcountry in Europe I bring in a lot of alcohol. Declare it at customs (have receipts, tho duty is proof % based I think) and it was not bad. FOr the most part buy unique stuff you won't find here, it's kind of silly to buy Seagram's there. We bought stuff for the bottles (decorate our extensive bar) as much as for the contents.

Thanks for the the info. I am not comfortable with stashing in a carry on. I have one of those faces that shows everything.

We did purchase 5 liter each on St. Martin and declared it. On the way out the custom agent was very rude about it:mad: and pulled us over and asked for about $20.00 is duties. Who is to say were the money went.:eek: That is about 2.00 a bottle. I have to say that most liquor is about 4.00 to 5.00 less in st. Martin.

I will just have to figure in the 2.00 duity per bottle when shopping.

Last time I had a flyer from the ship with St. Thomas prices on them so that made it easier.

Thanks again!!:D

That would be ONE liter per adult, or two per couple,

"Alcoholic Beverages: One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:

You are 21 years old.

It is for your own use or as a gift.

It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive."

and FIVE from the USVI, if one is a product of the island.

"If you return directly or indirectly from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam), you are allowed a $1,600 duty-free exemption.

Similarly, you may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of an insular possession. Four may be products of other countries (see section on Unaccompanied Purchases from Insular Possessions and Caribbean Basin countries)."

Plus, be aware that the TSA only allows five liters, per person, to be carried on an aircraft, if less than 140 proof. Non over 140.

Remember walls have ears.......I am a retired British customs officer and bound by a code of ethics to report you criminals to the US authorities!!!!!

I guess I'd had too much stolies when I filled out the form. I don't remember a booze section...guess I skipped over it. I just entered the amount I spent purhasing the booze....oops...nary a glance.