Anyone ever purchase over the 5 liter of alcohol allowed by customs?

amy hood

I was wondering how mcuh the duty would be and where we pay it if we purchase extra for gifts back home. We are sailing the eastern carb. int.:confused: No we are not lushes but we do have a large faimly.:D

Thanks!!!

I know I was just wondering if anyone knows the percentage of duty that will be added. I have a freind who always buy over the limit and she says that she has never had to pay the duty. She just shows to declare them where ever on board she is suppose to and that they just tell her she doesn't owe anything. I might add that she also crusing Carnival and that she ahsn't cruised in the last 2 years, but she is sailing in Sept.

My advise is - don't buy so much - as it is too heavy to carry all that off the ship. Having a luggage on wheels will help but at some point you'll have to carry it.

The savings are not that astronomical to go thru all that.

Speaking from experience !:o

Sailed the Caribbean Princess in December. Bought 12 liters of Stoli Vodka for $63.00 in St.Maarten($5.25 each). At the end of the cruise I declared my purchase. I was assessed a duty that amounted to $1.74 per bottle.

What a bargain!!!

I've been giving those babies out as gifts!:D :rolleyes:

Sailed the Caribbean Princess in December. Bought 12 liters of Stoli Vodka for $63.00 in St.Maarten($5.25 each). At the end of the cruise I declared my purchase. I was assessed a duty that amounted to $1.74 per bottle.

What a bargain!!!

I've been giving those babies out as gifts!:D :rolleyes:

Wow, that makes it worth it to invest in booze carriers. Wonder where I can get one? :D

OK, OK, I've been sitting here feeling guilty that I really didn't tell the truth.

Here's the real story....I did not give them out as gifts!!!!LOL:eek:

And...I picked up another 12 bottles in April at the same shop in St.Maarten.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

We always buy more than allowed and depending on the customs agent, we paid very little duty on them. One agent said he didn't collect any duty under $10.00-another made us pay about $4 for 3 bottles.One time a friend brought back 23 bottles and paid only $9.00 on them-granted they were cheap booze, but still a bargain even with the duty.

OK, OK, I've been sitting here feeling guilty that I really didn't tell the truth.

Here's the real story....I did not give them out as gifts!!!!LOL:eek:

And...I picked up another 12 bottles in April at the same shop in St.Maarten.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

And, please, the name and location of the shop is.....................?

I have always gone over my limit. As long as you declare it on your form. Many times when I went to the customs with the form, they asked what you bought and where you bought it. Be honest! Usually if its around 10-12 dollars they say go ahead. It's still worth it. I use it for christmas gifts and for my annual Christmas Eve party. It kills me to buy Stoli in the states. It is a pain in the neck to carry it off. We usually put one or two in each suitcase surrounded by clothes. Then carry the rest. Use my wheelie for them.

My advice if you have over the suggested limit of alcohol is just to declare it. Then you have no worries..The penalty is minimal, in fact, we were just signed off and paid nothing additional. Oh and a word to the person who remarked it wasn't worth carting it home, and the cost , so on and so on. FOr one thing, you cannot get everything in the USA that you can get in other places. For example some of the specialty rums from Jamaica. Come on Mon, get real! LOL

I like Crazsea's idea of purchasing them for gifts throughout the year (even tho she was fibbing!! :p )

Does anyone have any good recommendations on where to get good deals on a Western Caribbean itinerary? (Cozumel, Ocho Rios, and Grand Cayman).

Thanks!

I am always over my limit and declare the full number of bottles. I have only once had to pay duty on the overage but I always declare the total. The charge is less than $2 a bottle and I select bottles that are at least $5 less than local prices (DC is really cheap) also hard to find selections. Some cognacs are 20-30 less than local $. Last trip I was 4 bottles over w/ 6 from STT and 4 from other islands and the customs agent just signed off on it. Good luck!:)

We love the Sangster Rum creams from Jamaica. Our group each bought a bottle, but we drank them all the last night on the ship. I see that there is a website to purchase, has anyone tried this? Someone told me you cannot purchase alchol outside the US and have it shipped in.

Just a couple of additional thoughts: The TSA-types in the San Juan airport when we were there would not allow the cardboard liquor case carry-ons in addition to your other carry-on. They were very strict about one carry-on piece of luggage and one personal piece, like a purse or computer. People had to go back to the airline desk and make other arrangements.

Having had luggage come around the carousel dripping wet from liquor bottle breakage, I'd take along plastic bags and double bag my purchases that were in my checked baggage.

I ask at the duty-free shop on board how much I could buy and take back. They told me there was no limit. Don't seem like they would give you false information.They also have specials buy 12 bottles get 15% off

What they mean, is you can buy as much as you want. If you get caught you will have to pay the taxes. Next time you go through customs, ask them.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_shops.xml

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_exemption.xml

http://www.sealetter.com/Jan-99/alancol.html

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/knowbeforeyougo.ctt/knowbeforeyougo.pdf

The difference if you're from a state like Washington makes paying the federal duty well, well worth it....Stoli sells onboard for 8.50/liter if you buy a case, and it's $26.60/liter in the stores here. $2/bottle in excise tax is piddly.

Cognac and Scotch are two other products where you can *easily* pay for a few days of your cruise with the liquor savings. I conservatively saved $200 from purchases on a three-night cruise that I paid less than $200 for. ;0)

Eric

Archived