Zeuderdam

Daolbuzzard

We are thinking of taking a Panama Canal Crise however we have heard some negative comments on the Zeuderdam. Most about its age and upkeep...

Can anyone tell me if the ship has been upgraded since 2008?

Thanks

B. Rivers

We are thinking of taking a Panama Canal Crise however we have heard some negative comments on the Zeuderdam. Most about its age and upkeep...

Can anyone tell me if the ship has been upgraded since 2008?

Thanks

B. Rivers

We were on Zuiderdam for a partial Canal transit last November. The ship had gone through lots of plumbing problems reported here, but neither we nor anyone we spoke to experienced that on the November cruise. People we knew DID have air conditioning problems, however, so bad that they had to be assigned a "sleeping cabin" as their suite in the stern of the ship was too hot. Our more modest cabin was amidships and was fine. Overall the upkeep seemed OK. Some of the decor seemed tired. Fewer flowers than we recall from earlier HAL cruises. Dress code on formal nights was the most poorly enforced of any cruise in our experience, in case that issue is important to you. Our main complaint was MDR food: had several unpleasant dinners, and the lobster at the last formal night was decomposing and inedible, both my wife and I had one bite, and it so ruined our appetites we literally couldn't eat any dinner, and just stayed at the table so we wouldn't be rude to our dinner companions. Also in our experience, the beef hamburgers at the poolside grill invariable tasted better than the "steak" in the MDR. Go figure.

All of that said, we really enjoyed the Canal trip. Zuiderdam not our favorite ship. In fact, as shown in my signature, we're venturing away from HAL at this point. Good luck!

I did a partial Panama cruise on the Zuiderdam about a year and a half ago---right in the middle of the plumbing problems. I never had a problem in my own cabin, but friends did in theirs. The public rest rooms were almost universally out of order.

That said, since then those problems have been fixed. And I have to say that it was still a terrific cruise! Service on that cruise was as good, or better, than on any cruise I can think of. I had a marvelous time, and I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Zuiderdam again.

Thanks Very Much for your note. Guess we will keep looking. We were looking at H.A. as they had more ports in the eastern side than most others.

Ah well....we will keep looking...

Thanks again

B. Rivers

Thanks Very Much for your note. Guess we will keep looking. We were looking at H.A. as they had more ports in the eastern side than most others.

Thanks again

B. Rivers

Just returned from two weeks on the Zuiderdam on May 25th and found her condition to be excellent. Of course that was after drydock where all repairs were completed.

We are planning on the "Z" again on November 29th for a partial Panama Canal.

Like every post here, perception is subjective.

I hope you find another ship that will meet your expectations.

Thanks again

B. Rivers

Sorry you may not be joining us as we traverse the Partial Panama Canal Nov 29th. It will be our 5th cruise on her since September 2011.

We just disembarked from 14 days aboard Zuiderdam May 25th and she is Ship Shape.

We never had a bad meal on her, nor gotten sick while on her (KNOCK ON WOOD!!)

Yes, it is true that many many people reported problems with plumbing and a few other problems that I cannot remember at the moment, prior to her recent dry dock. But many more reported not having, hearing or seeing any of those same problems. I believe 99.99% of the problems were addressed and fixed during her recent dry dock.

Heck, I know of at least one of those who had or knew of these problems first hand, stating very staunchly here on CC that she has already booked the same cruise and time frame for next year. Now, what does that say??

170 days and counting until I am back on board my favorite HAL ship with hubby and great friends:)

Joanie

We sailed the Zuiderdam shortly after it launched in 2003, and once again in 2008.

I certainly wouldn't avoid any vessel simply because it has been in service for ten years.

If that were the case, many of the ships at sea would be too old to sail.

I did the Zuiderdam at the height of her issues last April, and had humungous problems with plumbing and air conditioning. But had a helluva good time anyway.:D I gather that the majority of the problems have been resolved, and I am booked for another 22 days on her for next April. Great ship, great crew.

I did the Zuiderdam at the height of her issues last April, and had humungous problems with plumbing and air conditioning. But had a helluva good time anyway.:D I gather that the majority of the problems have been resolved, and I am booked for another 22 days on her for next April. Great ship, great crew.

More of the whiners need to adopt your attitude.

We sailed the Zuiderdam last Jan , partial Panama Cruise . We had an aft suite . No complaints , we loved it . Yes the aft cabins can get alil warm while in port if the sun is blazing the back of the ship all day . We just had our steward keep the shades closed after morning clean up . Believe me a hot cabin would be a big turn off for me but ours was always comfortable once we were under way and chilly by bed time . The Z seems to get a bad rap on CC but we loved her and would sail again on her again .

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Following up on my post above ^^^ my daughter is doing her first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam on July 13th. There is no one as picky as my daughter.:o So I will be very interested to get her views when she returns.

Thanks again

B. Rivers

I wouldn't recommend writing it off on the basis of one bad review.

I just got off the Zuiderdam on May 25th. She was in great shape, the food was excellent all cruise, and there were no plumbing issues.

When a poster has lots of negatives, I tend to take it with a grain of salt. One bad experience can mean one person with bad luck, or a whole lot of other things. HAL would not stay in business if bad experiences were the norm.

Ah well....we will keep looking... Thanks again B. Rivers[/quote

WOW ... you really won't sail on the Z because of a couple of remarks about things that went wrong in the past. I hope you find the "perfect" cruise line for your trip. Panama Canal is a wonderful trip. BTW - we cruised the Z on our Panama Canal cruise and liked the ship a lot. This from someone who swore she would never cruise on any of HAL's "big" ships.

Thank you all for taking time to reply. We took the Canal cruise 3 years ago with Princess and tho we enjoyed the trip we would have like to see more of the ports on the Eastern side. As we live on the Canadian West Coast we find it much less expensive to only have to fly one way and still have a wonderful vacation.

We are not ruling out the Z at all....just looking to see if there is any other lines that provide the same type of cruise.

Thank you again

B. Rivers

Reason for the 2008 referral was that at the time of writing the first post, I was under the impression that 2008 was the last upgrade to the ship. I have since learned, thanks to the kind folks on this board that the ship underwent another upgrade in 2012.

B.

had some friends sail on the zuiderdam a few years ago and liked it. but i have never heard of the 'zuederdam.' but, then again, i just returned from a cruise on the maxdam. and am thinking about the westerndam in february, and maybe the rottemdam a bit later in the year. but i don't know what 'floor' i'll be on or what room number. but i do know the 'stewarts' will take care of my room; they always do a great job.

to dan1618. i do so agree, too many bad reviews and comments should make hal think a bit. despite the 'cheerleaders' on this forum, there are plenty of bad comments. you know what they are. if it were your business, wouldn't you pay at least some attention. i have LOVED hal over the years, that's why i sometimes comment negatively. i want to see some improvement so i will continue to look forward to my hal cruises --- not because i 'have no where else to go,' as one post stated.

had some friends sail on the zuiderdam a few years ago and liked it. but i have never heard of the 'zuederdam.' but, then again, i just returned from a cruise on the maxdam. and am thinking about the westerndam in february, and maybe the rottemdam a bit later in the year. but i don't know what 'floor' i'll be on or what room number. but i do know the 'stewarts' will take care of my room; they always do a great job.

Just don't forget to go to the mustard drill!:D

Tsk, tsk, tsk... correcting spelling?

Archived