Aqua Class: Reflections vs. Silhouette vs. Summit

harvestmoonfarm

This would be our 2nd Celebrity cruise, 4 others on RC.

We are interested in trying Aqua Class. I was already to sign up for a cruise on Reflections for March 2014, when I read several less than positive reviews regarding Blu restaurant specifically on the Reflection.

Any thoughts appreciated!

The unique problem with the reflection is that there are many more aqua passengers than the other solstice class ships, and blu was increased only slightly (and less than announced). This has led to longer waits for tables. It's also not clear that they added any additional staff for the few extra seats so service is also reported as being a little slower and the wine steward a little harder to find.

Blu seems to work the best on the eclipse, equinox and silhouette...and almost as well on the solstice where they increased the number of aqua cabins a little but did no increase at all in Blu seating.

The m-class ships have a reasonable ratio of aqua passengers to seats in blu, but there are some other issues due, in part, to ship design and the kitchen being on a different floor, resulting in warm dishes rather than hot dishes being served.

Each ship has it's issues, but in every case, IMHO, dining in blu is far better than the MDR. You can actually talk in normal voices in Blu...not so in the MDR....and so on.

I agree with the previous post. If you are trying Aqua for the first time and really want a special experience, I would stay away from Reflection. Service was not particularly attentive and it was crowded in Blu. It appeared that the service staff had too many customers to deal with. The other S-class ships offer a better experience in my opinion.

The Refelction or the Silhoutte are my recommendations for AQ. The cabins are nicer, with better shower doors and larger balconies with better chairs and foot stools. The Persian Gardens are nicer on the S class and the Reflection has more options of saunas.

The only difference between the Reflection and the Silhoutte is Blu seemed a little more crowded but I understand that many CC cabins are being converted to AQ on the Silhouette so it may ended up being the same.

Problem with starting on the Reflection is that it is the newest and has a lot of "improvements".

We were on the Reflection in March. Blu appeared more crowded but if you never been in Blu on other ships you wouldn't notice the difference. When we made the comments to some of the people we met in Blu about how we were a little disappointed they thought that we were crazy. They loved it but they didn't understand because it was their first time in AQ.

If you have the cruise already booked don't worry about it. It will be very enjoyable.

We have been aqua on reflection and eclipse. The experience in Blu was not enjoyable on reflection. It wasn't so much waiting for a table, but rather waiting for service. There were VERY long delays between courses, we would for instance finish our appetizers and sit there for 15 minutes before anyone cleared the dishes or brought another course. We actually walked out without dessert because we just couldn't wait the 30 minutes we estimated it would take to finish. We picked up dessert at cafe al bacon on the way back to our cabin.

Just off the Reflection, have been aqua class a few times. We saw not much difference, in fact we thought the food was better than it had been, and our waiter "Armondo" was terrific. We never waited, altho we tend to eat early, 7-ish, but only once saw a line waiting to get in.

I must say I did not like what they did with the lawn. My suggestion on the comment card was why not remove the cabanas on one side so the lawn area is opened up to the nonpaying public. We only saw half of them used anyway. They've taken a great concept and ruined it.

I did notice also that so many things were an extra charge and no prices listed on the dailies. Just annoying, not a deal breaker, but I like to know how much something is before I decide if I want to participate.

I was on the then new Silhouette in December of '11...

I loved our experience in Blu....it was the best dining I've ever experienced in 20 or so cruises. We ate all of our breakfast and dinner meals there.

We would like to try it again, in the near future, but since the Silhouette left our homeport, we only have the Summit.

I am wondering how the Blu on the Summit measures up in comparison....doesn't it share the same galley as the MDR? If so, how can they provide the level of food and service that the Silhouette did?

I was on the then new Silhouette in December of '11...

I loved our experience in Blu....it was the best dining I've ever experienced in 20 or so cruises. We ate all of our breakfast and dinner meals there.

We would like to try it again, in the near future, but since the Silhouette left our homeport, we only have the Summit.

I am wondering how the Blu on the Summit measures up in comparison....doesn't it share the same galley as the MDR? If so, how can they provide the level of food and service that the Silhouette did?

We took a galley tour on the Constellation before it had Blu. It was mentioned by the guide that when they add Blu the food will still come from the same galley area because of space limitations there won't be a separate kitchen like they have on the S class.

I am sure that any people hearing that now have a biased opinion about how the food is not up to the same standards, being cold and etc, and for shame being prepared in the same galley with the food for those dining in the MDR.

Blu is made from part of the top floor of the dining room. If there is a problem with food being served cold, not hot or what ever, then any one that has ever dined on the second floor of the MDR would have experienced the same. So using that logic it is better to always have a table on the main floor or the one closest to the kitchen.

Some people like to claim or think they are the ultimate critic of food, it cracks me up when I read that the food was served at the proper temperature and seasoning. It is all a matter of preference.

We found dining in Blu on the Summit much more enjoyable than in the crowded conditions on the Reflection. It doesn't have anything to do with the food just not the same ambience that we were use to on the other S class ships.

We were on the 6th May Eastern Med sailing of the Reflection and were in Aqua, we found the service, quality of food and ambiance in Blu to be excellent and we ate at various different times and did not have to wait once for a table.

Mark

I am certainly not a 'foodie', but I get the impression that the MDR food is all pre-plated as in a large banquet, while Blu food is prepared to order, as in a good restaurant.

That makes a big difference in the product and the service, IMHO.

Archived