camera advice

You need something better than a Point and Shoot. You will need to step up to an entry level DSLR that has interchangeable lenses. Things in Alaska are large and Far Away. You need a zoom lens that will get you closer. The Point and shoot's have a 3:1 or 4:1 lens which will not get you much closer. Go to a Best Buy or High End camera store where they will have lots on display and prices listed where you can compare side by side. You can spend alot or alot less. A camera Kit (Camera Body and usually 1 lens) can be had for in the $400-600 range. YMMV along with your budget.

I totally disagree with the previous poster. If you want to stick with point and shoot there are plenty of quality super zoom cameras out there - though it will run you $350 or more. As I've said on many of these threads, I love my Sony HX9 V (16x zoom) and the HX200V(30x zoom). The new HX300V has a 50x zoom if you want to go that big for Alaska - I decided for the difference in price the 30x would be fine 99% of the time and although the 200 is big, the 300 is even bigger.

Others will recommend their favorites, you really have to go to a store and pick them up. Even then, until you start taking pictures you won't be sure. One of the best features of the HX_V cameras is the auto merging for high quality photos in low light. I hate using flashes because they are annoying and intrusive. With these cameras I don't need them. .

Vic

What are you looking for? How do you want to use the camera?

There's a somewhat flippant rule of photography that the best camera is the one you have with you. If what you're looking for is first and foremost a small camera that takes good pictures, there's nothing wrong with that camera, or similar models from Canon, Olympus, etc. Truly pocket-sized cameras are generally a study in balance and compromise. Most will perform much better in daylight, as they tend to have relatively slow lenses and sensors, and very small flashes. You'll typically get more distortion and less sharpness at the far end of the zoom. BUT, they're small enough you'll have them with you when you need them.

The next step up is probably the Nikon P310/Canon S110, and similar. These are larger format "pocket cameras", a little larger, but generally focused on options for the photographer and picture quality. Limited zoom range, but better low light performance, and a pop-up flash. Typically more expensive than the superzooms listed below as they are focused on being a secondary camera for experienced amateur or even professional photographers.

If you're comfortable with a slightly larger camera that will take great pictures, but be simple to use, I'd look at the Sony mentioned below, Nikon Coolpix P510 and P520, Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, and Panasonic Lumix FZ200. Of those, I find the Panasonic very intriguing (don't own any of them) as it's the only one with a constant f/2.8 aperture lens. That should help you with low light photography, such as onboard and inside the ship.

If this is a once in a lifetime trip to Alaska, you want good pictures but don't want to get overly complicated, and don't mind a slightly larger camera body, look at the cameras in that last group. Pick them up and handle them. If they're too big, slide down the cost/complication scale to something smaller.

That's my recommendation. A DSLR or a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses would be great, but if you're just looking for good pictures for your memories, you don't have to go there. The Nikon you're considering will take great pictures. It just has limitations that larger cameras typically don't. Depends on how you want to use it.

You might want to do a field trip to a reputable camera shop and speak with a staff member that should be able to take you thru a process to help you select a camera that will fit your needs...be very upfront about your budget

Over the years I have made friends on my jazz cruises who share with each other by uploading select pics to our tablets every day..that way you will make new friends and have a wide selection of pics

Have fun...Alaska is awesome

You might want to do a field trip to a reputable camera shop and speak with a staff member that should be able to take you thru a process to help you select a camera that will fit your needs...be very upfront about your budget

Agree completely, although good shops are getting harder to find! If you've got one close by, that's always best. Although, I just noticed the OP is in Jersey. If you travel into New York anyway, just go to B&H. Yeah, it's an overwhelming place to visit, but I've never met a more knowledgeable or helpful staff.

you need to get a scarlet for video or Red, and a canon rebel DSLR for still.

You have picked out a decent cam that will work for you, and not for the posters that highly recommend that work for them.

I cannot recommend or push a camera on you, but make sure it has what you want. with a good optical zoom for close ups, long battery, and what fits your budget.

the old saying goes

4x optical 5 megapixel does the trick.

Today its 24 megapixals 50x optical LMAOQ

A good place to do your research before buying a new camera is dpreview.com. They will have info on all the latest cameras, usually before they're even released to the public. You can compare cameras side-by-side for features and get a rough idea of prices. If you go to the forums, you can see pictures posted by real people, although beware of that. Look at the best pictures posted as a possible of what you will get. Frequently people rave about (what I consider) poor pictures, but that just demonstrates their lack of knowledge.

I recently bought a Canon SX50 for my cruise and am happy with it. It won't replace my DSLR, but it sure is a lot lighter and doesn't require so many accessories. It's not as fast at focusing, has a lower burst rate and less options. I have mostly bought sony cameras in the past, and miss the panorama mode that they have. Other similar cameras are the Sony HX300 and the Panasonic FZ200. The sony was not out when I bought my SX50, but I found by comparing the FZ200 and the SX50 that the SX50 had features important to me that the FZ200 lacked. (There are also things that the FZ200 has that the SX50 doesn't, you have to decide what is important to you.)

Before buying a new camera, I will make a list of features that I have to have, for example for me it was long zoom, viewfinder, tilt screen. Then check for cameras that have those things. After reading about them, I usually find 3-4 more things that I think are important, too.

I did my first Alaska cruise with a point and shoot and didn't miss the larger lens. The last two with a DSLR. I went with my e-620, and the 14-54mm and my 70-300mm plus a 1.4 teleconverter. With my crop factor, it was not like a 140-600mm. And there were times when it still didn't have enough zoom. There is definitely a tag tradeoff between shooting capability and weight. Also, we were far enough from the glacier that we needed the longer lens. All my shots through the window on the ship turned out blurry.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk HD

Agree completely, although good shops are getting harder to find! If you've got one close by, that's always best. Although, I just noticed the OP is in Jersey. If you travel into New York anyway, just go to B&H. Yeah, it's an overwhelming place to visit, but I've never met a more knowledgeable or helpful staff.

Ditto; have traveled with a Cannon D10 and got some great shots of the pyramids. Now carry a Nikon D3100 with an 18-300 MM lens; heavy. Both work. I would go to B&H too and find the right one if you have the time. You do need some time getting used to whatever you buy.

Ed

I use a Nikon D60 with twin lens (18 - 55 mm and 55 - 200 mm) I found changing lens on the move started to become painful. So I recently purchased a Nikon S9500 as a between camera and one that can fit in your pocket for formals etc.

I used both cameras last week at an street parade and dumped the D60 when it poured down with rain - the S9500 could be slid in my rain jacket sleeve; I could not really tell the difference with the photo's both good quality.

I have only had it for a couple of weeks and find it very good, it works for me but does require some practice as it moves around a fair bit when at full zoom.

As others have stated try and find a store where you can do a test drive and look at other options that may suit YOUR application.

Good luck with you search.

I purchased the cool pix 9500 for an upcoming trip to Europe. It is very small, will easily fit in a pocket when I don't want to haul a bag. Our other camera is a D7000, which is heavy, but takes amazing photos. The 9500 is replacing an older cyber shot, which also took nice pictures. For the typical tourist stuff, frankly it is hard to tell which camera took the photos from our trip to Spain last summer. My DH often doesn't want to haul around the DSLR all the time, so we get lots of use with a point & shoot. I don't think a dslr is a necessity for Alaska, they are expensive, bulky, heavy and require a learning curve. Since you asked about a specific P&S, I assume you were shopping for that type of camera.

I haven't used the 9500 that much, but it has lots of nice features at the price point. The compact size works for me, but may feel tiny for someone with large hands.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived