Popping the question...

HoganUK

Hi Guys,

My aim is to pop the question to my girlfriend on our upcoming holiday this summer and i wonder if anyone has had the experience or noticed anyone do this onboard a Carnival Cruise.

I am on the 9 day Barcelona to Venice on Carnival Sunshine in August and would like to plan something memorable.

Few ideas mentioned are waiting until in Venice, but i would be concerned she would find the ring after 9 days in the cabin!

Steak house? Chefs Table? Even on stage during one of the shows? Just a few ideas that are flying around my head!

Cheers Guys!

If her dad is alive I would personally ask him before you go. Then I would do it sooner rather than later so she could show off the ring.

if you are comfortable doing it in front of large crowds then plan something for audience to see.

That is my only suggestions.

Have fun!

If her dad is alive I would personally ask him before you go. Then I would do it sooner rather than later so she could show off the ring.

if you are comfortable doing it in front of large crowds then plan something for audience to see.

That is my only suggestions.

Have fun!

Goes without saying that i will be asking her old man for his permission/blessing.

This is my view, sooner so that A) she can show it off B) i can relax

Cheers!

Just a thought - if you have a balcony, do it there - a beautiful sunset, a nice bottle of wine, etc. You can wait for the "perfect moment." If no balcony, find a quiet place on deck - still the same scenario - a beautiful sunset, bottle of wine, etc. Can order a dozen roses from Bon Voyage for the next day, or even that evening! Steakhouse works, also, but more public, if that is what you want. Congrats in advance!:)

Good luck and congrats! :)

Have to ask - would she like to be asked in front of a bunch of strangers,? On a stage?

Personally, I would hate that. Would much prefer a private moment.

With that said, she's your girl, you know her best.

Wish you both the best! :)

Just a thought - if you have a balcony, do it there - a beautiful sunset, a nice bottle of wine, etc. You can wait for the "perfect moment." If no balcony, find a quiet place on deck - still the same scenario - a beautiful sunset, bottle of wine, etc. Can order a dozen roses from Bon Voyage for the next day, or even that evening! Steakhouse works, also, but more public, if that is what you want. Congrats in advance!:)

Unfortunately we have chosen an inside cabin, she worked on the Disney Dream for 6 months and is used to inside cabins.

I like the dozen red roses idea, and maybe with the steak house. Thank you for your tips!

Good luck and congrats! :)

Have to ask - would she like to be asked in front of a bunch of strangers,? On a stage?

Personally, I would hate that. Would much prefer a private moment.

With that said, she's your girl, you know her best.

Wish you both the best! :)

Thank you, but she hasnt said yes just yet ;)

I think to much of a crowd would make it tacky, and she wouldnt like it.

I am leaning towards the steak house on the first night! Not too crowded but possible the nicest setting on the ship.

My youngest daughter experienced this about a month ago.

Basically, my family, along with my daughter's boyfriend, went on a 7 day cruise out of Charleston in May.

On the second night, the boyfriend waited until all the photographers had set up their venues and then approached a specific photographer to enlist his help in his plan.

Essentially, when my daughter and her boyfriend went to have their pictures made later that night, the boyfriend steered my daughter to the previously picked photographer. Once there, the photographer positioned my daughter to face away from her boyfriend for a picture...but that was just to keep her from seeing what her boyfriend was pulling out of his pocket.

When the photographer then cued my daughter to turn around for another pose, her boyfriend was already on one knee and holding the engagement ring for daughter to see....and, of course, the photographer caught the moment.

Not necessarily what every girl would want, but my daughter loved it...and loved showing off the ring during the duration of the cruise.

Thank you, but she hasnt said yes just yet ;)

I think to much of a crowd would make it tacky, and she wouldnt like it.

I am leaning towards the steak house on the first night! Not too crowded but possible the nicest setting on the ship.

The possibility of a 'no', ... another good reason for privacy. :eek:;)

I'm rooting for you.

Basically, my family, along with my daughter's boyfriend, went on a 7 day cruise out of Charleston in May.

On the second night, the boyfriend waited until all the photographers had set up their venues and then approached a specific photographer to enlist his help in his plan.

Essentially, when my daughter and her boyfriend went to have their pictures made later that night, the boyfriend steered my daughter to the previously picked photographer. Once there, the photographer positioned my daughter to face away from her boyfriend for a picture...but that was just to keep her from seeing what her boyfriend was pulling out of his pocket.

When the photographer then cued my daughter to turn around for another pose, her boyfriend was already on one knee and holding the engagement ring for daughter to see....and, of course, the photographer caught the moment.

Not necessarily what every girl would want, but my daughter loved it...and loved showing off the ring during the duration of the cruise.

What a great and well thought out idea! And something that she wouldnt have expected. Thank you for your reply.

Are you spending any time before the cruise in Barcelona? We did this cruise on the Breeze last year, and even if you are getting there the day of the cruise, you could arrange for a tour of the city & pop the question at one of the stops with the ship in the background.

Also, on the Breeze you could pay for a session with the photographer. They could help you set something up on the ship. We had a wedding party taking pictures after our stop in Naples on our ship.

Unfortunately we have chosen an inside cabin, she worked on the Disney Dream for 6 months and is used to inside cabins.

I like the dozen red roses idea, and maybe with the steak house. Thank you for your tips!

speak to a photographer and asked him to be present. he comes to the table and says he is there to take the meal photo-- then get down on a knee and ask away. Its private and the photographer can get it all on pictures. Be reay to pay dearly for those

I proposed on Victory last sept. I had set up for a cake to be delivered to our table following diner on the first formal night. The cake was decorated and ask "will you marry me?" She was totally surprised and said yes. This would work great in the steakhouse.

As for hiding the ring, we had long time friends join us on the cruise and they kept in hidden in there safe.

We're getting married on the Liberty this thanksgiving (actually on the beach in St. Thomas)

While N7786W Flyer's photographer idea is awesome, it may be hard to arrange with only the two of you there.

My thought is that you should find the perfect place for sailaway (the Titanic scene at the ship's nose comes to mind but is not permitted) but up high looking forward. Then, standing behind her, whisper something in her ear about beginning a long journey (heading into the future?) and hit your knee right there as she turns around.:D:D

Best wishes as you two cruise through life together!:)

I like the idea of the steakhouse. And the roses, of course. So romantic!

Just as an aside...not everyone plans to ask their girlfriend's father for permission to propose. Obviously it's not an issue for the OP. But when I got married, my future husband and I made the decision together and then told our parents we were engaged. And I would not be offended or hurt if the men who propose to either of my daughters chose to do so without consulting us.

Had a family member make a very public proposal to his current girlfriend at the time. She was gracious/awkward at the moment but excepted the ring, but returned the ring the next day. Its on video tape.

family joke is she went and got it appraised, before she decided to return it. Funny video, but we can't watch it if his current wife is around.

This is a great idea!

And to the OP; good luck to you sir!

I love that idea!!!! been married 36 years and the beginning is a blur. Too much commotion giong on with crowds but to capture the moment by a photographer would live on forever. otherwise the Steak House idea is a good one too or better yet, a great way to follow up. I would suggest formal night, so she looks her best. A girl wants to look good if this moment is to be remembered in a photo.

Hi Guys,

My aim is to pop the question to my girlfriend on our upcoming holiday this summer and i wonder if anyone has had the experience or noticed anyone do this onboard a Carnival Cruise.

I am on the 9 day Barcelona to Venice on Carnival Sunshine in August and would like to plan something memorable.

Few ideas mentioned are waiting until in Venice, but i would be concerned she would find the ring after 9 days in the cabin!

Steak house? Chefs Table? Even on stage during one of the shows? Just a few ideas that are flying around my head!

Cheers Guys!

I would do it IN Venice on a gondola ride.

Archived