Why do people cruise to the same place over and over again?

quovadimis

Hi Kentsike good to see you!

I agree also with the post you quoted. We love Myrtle Beach and especially after hubby retires I can see us spending more time there. The friends that got us going there are caregviers to her 95 year old mother. She will not leave her mother for longer than a weekend so cruising is out for them. They like Myrtle Beach because they relax there and her mother can come with them. Her mom stays in the condo while they are on the beach but she can go back and check on her mom often during the day as the condo over looks the beach.

That is one reason too hubby and I try to do a nice cruise/trip every couple of years. (which is what our fiances allow) His mom is almost 80 and we know we may not be able as time goes by. Also, my health issues may prevent us before long. When you consider my age, I am in much worst heath than my MIL in a way. I do feel a lot of people's circumstances dictate what they do for vacations.

Bottom line is most of us take vacations to refresh and recharge. So whatever works and brings us enjoyment, well that is good.

Hi...good to hear from you too. We had a very elderly friend with Macular Degeneration. She had difficulty seeing but several times a year she would cruise on Crystal and loved it. We have another friend who needs oxygen and does the same thing. Cruising is a great way for the elderly and infirm to travel worry free and have a good time.

Pay no attention to Grumpy who wondered why you cared. Why did he or she care about you caring?

It is a very interesting question and I enjoyed the responses. We never repeat ourselves so I was intrigued by the answer "Why are some people always seeking novelty?" Good point - I don't know, but we do!

We don't. I can see why some do it and there have been many posts in this thread with excellent personal reasons for doing so. The great thing about a democracy is that we all get to do pretty much what we want assuming we stay within the law. We like to see new places and try new things. Seen all I need to see in the Caribbean and those cruises were great. The South Pacific is next followed by a lap around Australia.

Having said this we do an annual family vacation to a AI in Mexico and return to the same place every time. We know what we are getting but more importantly to us is the fact they run one of the best childrens programs I have ever seen and the grand babies love it. Not all the vacations are just about DW and I.

Hi...good to hear from you too. We had a very elderly friend with Macular Degeneration. She had difficulty seeing but several times a year she would cruise on Crystal and loved it. We have another friend who needs oxygen and does the same thing. Cruising is a great way for the elderly and infirm to travel worry free and have a good time.

She would be in a wheel chair and they feel it would be to hard on my friend. Her mother can walk SHORT distances with a walker still. Their condo has the bathroom right next to her bedroom so she is not afraid to leave her for a bit. She still checks on her very often when they are on the beach. She is a very good daughter.

On a cruise her mom would not be up to excursions and my friend would be afraid to leave her for several hours. Also, she is in her mid 70's and her husband is in his late 70's, so it really takes it out of them, caring for her mom. Especially when she is in an unfamiliar room/place. Her mom does better when things are familiar to her. So my friends feel they may as well be at Myrtle Beach than a cruise ship. They can recharge there whereas for her mom somewhere unfamiliar it would be stressful. So for them, it just would not work.

We love to cruise, don't fly and because we have to board our kitten we don't care to spend three days driving to Florida (and three days back) to take a cruise ship to places we have never been such as St. Thomas, etc.. So we will continue to leave out of NOLA and Galveston and visit the same ports of call over and over again. For us it is more about cruising then it is about visiting the same ports of calls. So if it means staying on the ship and enjoying ourselves that is what we will continue to do.

Three days each way? Are you only taking back roads and driving a few hours a day? It's 10 hours from NOLA to Tampa, 11 to Port Canaveral, 16 to Miami. All easily doable with two drivers I. A is the day.

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

We do what's offered. We only have two ports to pick from. Flying or driving to another port mean additional cost (gas, flight, boarding animals, additional time off of work for dh). And honestly, I don't cruise for the port, but for the cruise.

Right now, we have a 2 year, every day is a new experience just with her. I know dh would love Alaska cruise, so maybe one day I'll figure out what that would cost us, we may need to skip a year cruise though.

Three days each way? Are you only taking back roads and driving a few hours a day? It's 10 hours from NOLA to Tampa, 11 to Port Canaveral, 16 to Miami. All easily doable with two drivers I. A is the day.

She didn't say she was in NOLA...I'm equal distance from Gal and NOLA, but more than 11 hours from Tampa. AND I have a 2 year old, the trip to Gal is long enough with her. I just checked, it'd be 14.5 hours, drive time from me to Tampa. I can't drive at night and I can't keep a 2 year in the car for 14.5 hours. (our 5 hour trip was more like 9 hours with her last year.)

She didn't say she was in NOLA...I'm equal distance from Gal and NOLA, but more than 11 hours from Tampa. AND I have a 2 year old, the trip to Gal is long enough with her. I just checked, it'd be 14.5 hours, drive time from me to Tampa. I can't drive at night and I can't keep a 2 year in the car for 14.5 hours. (our 5 hour trip was more like 9 hours with her last year.)

She's from Church Point, LA. Under 12 hours to Tampa, certainly not a trip that takes three days in either direction.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...