Why do people cruise to the same place over and over again?

quovadimis

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

As much as I would love to cruise out of other ports, to other destinations, at this point in my life it's not economically feasible. I love to cruise and hopefully one day I can fly somewhere and cruise out of that port.

However, the bonus is that there is a cruise port less than 30 minutes from my home, and another just across the state about two hours away. With past guest and Florida resident discounts, my DH and I can cruise for a great price!

I look at others' signatures and dream that one day mine will be as varied with ships and destinations!!

As much as I would love to cruise out of other ports, to other destinations, at this point in my life it's not economically feasible. I love to cruise and hopefully one day I can fly somewhere and cruise out of that port.

However, the bonus is that there is a cruise port less than 30 minutes from my home, and another just across the state about two hours away. With past guest and Florida resident discounts, my DH and I can cruise for a great price!

I look at others' signatures and dream that one day mine will be as varied with ships and destinations!!

Agree! If I cruise out of a port I can drive to then I can cruise more often. And, I not big on flying.

It's great that so many people love to cruise, but I'm amazed at how many hate to fly. Being from "The Great White North", if we didn't fly, we wouldn't cruise. I'm kinda jealous of those of you who can drive to the port and get on the ship and not worry about flight times, cost, lost bags etc.

So far, we haven't cruised to the same place twice, but I would love to return to St Petersburg, Russia and Rome. Two days wasn't enough, but at least I've seen some of those cities. Maybe someday we'll go back.

I just don't get it...I see on people's signatures tons of cruises and a lot of time the same itineraries, why? We've done the Bahamas, Alaska, Western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and coming up we have an Eastern Caribbean but I wouldn't want to do any of them twice. Just wondering?

We've only hit a couple Islands more than once. We really like Cozumel, St. Martin, and St. Thomas and we do something different everytime we go there. We don't enjoy Nassau as much and after doing different things the first couple of times we now stay on the ship and enjoy it without all the people....We do like to get at least one new port in with each cruise, unless we are sailing specifically for that ship.

I can't count the number of cruises I've been on that have stopped in St. Thomas. Sometimes we've stayed on the ship (or just walked around the shops in the pier area). Other times we've taken excursions (snorkeling a few times and kayaking the mangrove) or gone off on our own (including to St. John). And we've discovered a beautiful beach within a couple of miles of Crown Bay, which is walking distance for us.

I've also taken three cruises to Alaska and would love to go again next year. When we retire in a few years, we'll have time to take longer cruises to Europe, but for now, we stick with what we can fit into our schedule.

It's great that so many people love to cruise, but I'm amazed at how many hate to fly.

It's not that we hate to fly, it's more the cost of flying these days. I would rather spend the $$$ on my cruise then giving it to the airlines when possible.

I have cruised to the same places a few times because they're cheap cruises and are great for a getaway from everything. Each trip to the ports are different, as well.

For me, the "cheap cruises" as we call them are more about time away from home/office and having fun on the ship.

There are cruises that are on our bucket list still, but we are repeat goers to the Bahamas :cool: because it's just a cheap and easy getaway.

Yes, flying is an issue for me too. I haven't been on a plane since 2001.

Living 15 miles from Pier 88 also makes it so convenient to cruise out of NYC.

San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortulo, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau are the ports we've been to so far. Next is Bermuda.

The Bermuda cruise will be all about the voyage not the destination aboard the Breakaway.

~robin and brian

Carnival Legend 2008

Carnival Miracle 2010

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

While we've been to lots of cruise destinations, like the Med, Hawaii, Alaska, etc., we still like the Caribbean for a winter escape, even though we have been there multiple times.

Why? #1, we want to get out of the cold and enjoy warm weather, sunshine and beaches. #2, it's a great value compared with, say, cruising to Tahiti or other farther away warm cruises. We can cruise the Caribbean several times for what it would take for one exotic cruise. #3 We still find things to enjoy on all the islands, and sometimes even hit a new island, if we are lucky. #4 We do enjoy the cruising part itself; being on the ship, relaxing, the ocean, dining, the shows, etc. #5 Airfare and time to the destination is much less, even coming from Nebraska, than Australia, for instance, though that one is on our bucket list. #6 It's just plain easier, and sometimes that's ok.

For us, there are different kinds of cruises. Some cruises we go just for the ship... Carribean, Mexico for example. Then there are cruises we go on to see different ports or even more in given ports... Mediterranean and European cruises are like that for us.

We have travelled and stayed in many European capitals a number of times, never tire of going to Paris or Barcelona. Lots to see and do.

People go to the same restaurants, malls, zoos, parks, museums, etc... many times. Why not the same vacation?

Nothing wrong with doing something twice, or two hundred times. :D

True.. lol...our primary vacations are camping (in a 34 foot travel trailer) . We go to the same campgrounds every year! One at the beach, one for extended family get together, then a few others just because. Our cruise this year is the same as our first itinerary due to ship and convenience since we can drive easily to the port.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

I have only done one cruise, and I can say that, for the 'most part', the destination is not the biggest factor for me. I loved the ship and being on the ship. I have been researching my next cruise, and for me, the #1 factor is what is the ship and it's amenities. Now of course, I am considering the port of embarkation and where it goes, but for me this is to be all about relaxation. Based on my first cruise, the port-of-call was not relaxing, and I couldn't wait to get back on ship. Port-of-call was lay on a beach for a while, do some shopping and drinking and get back to my temp home (the ship).

Someone asked me why I have visited Disney World over 90+ days. Because it is familair and comfortable for me, and anymore now I go for relaxing and people watching mixed with seeing what is new, and trying out restaurants that I hadn't done yet.

Edited by Bear-n-Babe

Have you eber been twice to a restaurant you really liked ? ;)

Have you eber been twice to a restaurant you really liked ? ;)

We eat out a couple times a month. We repeat because there are a finite number of restaurants once you take the fast food and might as well be fast food (Olive Garden for example) places out of the mix. We cruise every other year, give or take. It would take a lifetime to visit every port and sail on every ship, even if you toss away the ones you have no interest in. I don't see the comparison.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

why not? I have been to Cozumel about 6 times. sometimes we just shop, other times we try different beaches. You may go to other places multiple times and do different things to see a different part of that country/city. plus I can only do the Caribbean or Bahamas...its all I can afford. lol.

I'll ask you this now, you have been to the Bahamas, Alaska, western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and soon eastern Caribbean. you are running out of places! what are you going to do when you hit them all? stop cruising?

why not? I have been to Cozumel about 6 times. sometimes we just shop, other times we try different beaches. You may go to other places multiple times and do different things to see a different part of that country/city. plus I can only do the Caribbean or Bahamas...its all I can afford. lol.

I'll ask you this now, you have been to the Bahamas, Alaska, western Caribbean, Baltic, Mediterranean and soon eastern Caribbean. you are running out of places! what are you going to do when you hit them all? stop cruising?

Asia, river cruising, Black Sea, South Pacific, Australia/Nw Zealand, Antartica, the list is endless.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We live in FL. So we cruise the Caribbean over and over.....we never get tired of the ports,,,, love to swim and snorkel....there are so many things to do on each island we do something new every time....we can look for good deals....and do not need to have extra money for a plane ticket.....if I were loaded I'd cruise the world.....