Why do people cruise to the same place over and over again?

quovadimis

As a non-flyer I don't have a lot of choice. I have to have whatever is going from Southampton.

I would think you have a choice of almost any port I. Europe as long as you take the train to get there. That opens up a significant portion of the world.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We've cruised all over the world but every winter we always take a Caribbean cruise. Yes, some islands we've been to many, many times. but we're from the northeast and in the Caribbean it's 80 degrees and the sun's out! Sometimes we don't even get off the ship. A winter cruise (we think) is less expensive than flying to an island for the same length of time as a cruise we take, we have a better time, and we don't think we like to spend 10-12 days on any one island. For this particular cruise, we're not going for the destination, like I said, we're going because it's 80 degrees and sunny.

We've cruised all over the world but every winter we always take a Caribbean cruise. Yes, some islands we've been to many, many times. but we're from the northeast and in the Caribbean it's 80 degrees and the sun's out! Sometimes we don't even get off the ship. A winter cruise (we think) is less expensive than flying to an island for the same length of time as a cruise we take, we have a better time, and we don't think we like to spend 10-12 days on any one island. For this particular cruise, we're not going for the destination, like I said, we're going because it's 80 degrees and sunny.

Have you been tomTahiti yet?

I would think you have a choice of almost any port I. Europe as long as you take the train to get there. That opens up a significant portion of the world.

Tried that in 2012 and it took me 31 hours to get from my home to Barcelona...NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Well, we'd love to cruise in Tahiti, but wow, the costs. The cruises are more expensive and the airfare is really high, as well as the very long flights.

Let's see: flights to Florida using FF miles, total cost, $10. Flights to Tahiti (so far I've never been able to book a flight to Tahiti using our miles, and I have looked) $$$$ and many, many hours.

Sometime we hopefully will get to cruise or do a tour in Tahiti or other South Sea islands--I guess we just have to bite the bullet and do it. Some time maybe we will be able to find a flight using our miles, that's if we have enough miles.

The Caribbean is still an almost yearly cruise for us just because of the warm weather and relatively cheap prices.

What does Barcelona have to do with Tahiti?

Your original post re my comments suggested I could travel to anywhere in Europe to sail to any area. The point I was trying to make was that it isn't all that easy as a non-flyer quoting my journey to Barcelona as an example.

Your original post re my comments suggested I could travel to anywhere in Europe to sail to any area. The point I was trying to make was that it isn't all that easy as a non-flyer quoting my journey to Barcelona as an example.

My point is that you can get there, you might not want to. Big difference. Frankly if my choice was to limit myself or take a longer journey to get there, I'd take the journey. Otherwise, like you, I'd be limited to the Caribbean. Boring.

Well, we'd love to cruise in Tahiti, but wow, the costs. The cruises are more expensive and the airfare is really high, as well as the very long flights.

Let's see: flights to Florida using FF miles, total cost, $10. Flights to Tahiti (so far I've never been able to book a flight to Tahiti using our miles, and I have looked) $$$$ and many, many hours.

Sometime we hopefully will get to cruise or do a tour in Tahiti or other South Sea islands--I guess we just have to bite the bullet and do it. Some time maybe we will be able to find a flight using our miles, that's if we have enough miles.

The Caribbean is still an almost yearly cruise for us just because of the warm weather and relatively cheap prices.

However at least you'd see more of the world, more beautiful places, and friendlier, safer ports.

Just because one person finds going to the same places boring doesn't mean that everyone does. I've gone on the same itinerary because I liked the ship, I liked the ports and I wanted to go back. It's no different than the people I know who have gone to the same all inclusive every year. I go up to Minnesota for a trip every year. If someone enjoys what they're doing, that's all that matters and it doesn't matter if they've done it before.

You also need to consider that many North Americans (not all) are not the most adventurous travelers in the world. Their comfort zones are very precise. Get them too far from a McDonalds, a Starbucks, or a Walmart, and they get very uncomfortable.

"Foreigners" can be very scary to Americans.

Easier to take it in baby steps.

But Lol! Those are all over the world EXCEPT out in the middle of the ocean! Our tour guide in Mexico joked that they had all those there, that the only thing we would not find is a Taco Bell lol! I know in Europe you do not see Walmart but you do see Mac Donalds and Starbucks. I hate Walmart anyway so I never miss it-lol!

To be honest, I do not eat fast food very often as I have diabetes and I prefer to take less Meds and take care of myself. I do love MacDonalds and and Starbucks both for their coffee. Dunkin donuts has good coffee too. but ya know, if they have good coffee, I will be okay without those places!

But Lol! Those are all over the world EXCEPT out in the middle of the ocean! Our tour guide in Mexico joked that they had all those there, that the only thing we would not find is a Taco Bell lol! I know in Europe you do not see Walmart but you do see Mac Donalds and Starbucks. I hate Walmart anyway so I never miss it-lol!

To be honest, I do not eat fast food very often as I have diabetes and I prefer to take less Meds and take care of myself. I do love MacDonalds and and Starbucks both for their coffee. Dunkin donuts has good coffee too. but ya know, if they have good coffee, I will be okay without those places!

Unfortunately the McDonalds coffee in Europe is like other Euro coffee, strong and bitter.

Just because one person finds going to the same places boring doesn't mean that everyone does. I've gone on the same itinerary because I liked the ship, I liked the ports and I wanted to go back. It's no different than the people I know who have gone to the same all inclusive every year. I go up to Minnesota for a trip every year. If someone enjoys what they're doing, that's all that matters and it doesn't matter if they've done it before.

I felt that way too when we had done less than 10 cruises. The more we cruised, the more we wanted to go to different places. Now, we are repeating a cruise next year, in order to do a vacation with our teacher daughter who loves cruising and is limited as to when she can go. It costs much more when she can go. The ports are key West and Cozumel. I love key West, not a problem, and I do not mind making Cozumel a "sea day" if I see no excursions that interest me. Port days are the best days for the pool area!

We also go to Myrtle Beach about every other year and the North Carolina mountains/Blue Ridge parkway about as often. and love both,so yes we repeat land vacations too.

Nevertheless, it IS nice to go somewhere new ever so often. I really enjoyed our cruise and trip to California last month. I enjoyed just as much if not more than our Med cruise almost a year and a half ago. The weather was much better! Lol! Summer in Italy feels too much like summer in Georgia!

Bottom line,I see nothing wrong with doing new AND repeating myself. I do feel "mixing it up" ever so often helps me enjoy more when I do repeat a cruise.

Unfortunately the McDonalds coffee in Europe is like other Euro coffee, strong and bitter.

You know, we usually get it in those European places anyway. I have not even tried Mac Donalds coffee in Europe as I like trying "new." I really liked those Italian chilled coffees even if they were tiny!

England did have cappuccinos way before the US did there. I remember I was so excited about that and went there about every day to get a veggie burger and coffee at lunch. Our daughter, then a teen, hated Brit food so we did go there often for her as a compromise and then had Brit food at dinner-lol! It was years before they had them here in the US-still no veggie burgers!

You know, we usually get it in those European places anyway. I have not even tried Mac Donalds coffee in Europe as I like trying "new." I really liked those Italian chilled coffees even if they were tiny!

England did have cappuccinos way before the US did there. I remember I was so excited about that and went there about every day to get a veggie burger and coffee at lunch. Our daughter, then a teen, hated Brit food so we did go there often for her as a compromise and then had Brit food at dinner-lol! It was years before they had them here in the US-still no veggie burgers!

Even if they had veggie burgers they would be full of chemicals like the rest if their products. Even their salads are terrible for you.

Even if they had veggie burgers they would be full of chemicals like the rest if their products. Even their salads are terrible for you.

Lol! this was many years ago about the time of Mad Cow disease-hence the offer of veggie burgers! and I thought about it-it was not Mac Donalds it was Burger King!

Have you been tomTahiti yet?

Yep, and the inter island Hawaii cruise. Both were great but won't do either again. As I stated, we go because it's 80 degrees and the sun's out. A $159 (R/T) non-stop gets us to the port in 2 and 1/2 hrs, or we sail out of NY/NJ. A trans Pacific flight for near $1000 pp just doesn't make sense for us, after we've "been there/done that" once.

I'd rather cruise less often and see more of this wonderful world. My opinion.

We're lucky enough that we've been able to do both. We've cruised the Caribbean a lot, Mexican Riviera, Panama Canal, Alaska, Transatlantics & Europe. We're on a South America cruise in December. We'll do more exotic cruises if the right price and opportunity pops up.

We've also done land trips all over the US and to Bangkok, Vietnam, Central America, Mexico, the Caribbean, Israel, Egypt, Canada, Kenya, Tanzania and have more planned.

But, we still love a Caribbean cruise for convenience, price and nice warm weather in the winter. We've been to many of the islands multiple times, but we still enjoy them. Sometimes with tours we haven't done before, sometimes just a beach day, sometimes just walking around the port. We haven't found most of the islands especially dangerous, but we do use common sense there, as in most places we travel.

Besides, we like cruising and being on the ship. So far we've never been bored.

I'd rather cruise less often and see more of this wonderful world. My opinion.

I'm in the middle. Every other year we take a nice trip where we fly. Some times land, sometimes cruise. The opposite year that we don't, we pick an inexpensive (in comparison) Caribbean cruise. Of course we would take a very nice trip every year if we could afford it, but doing a Caribbean cruise every other year works with the vacation fund.

I think we all do what works for us with our likes/dislikes, what we can afford etc. That is what matters, that we enjoy still our trips and are not bored with them.

My point is that you can get there, you might not want to. Big difference. Frankly if my choice was to limit myself or take a longer journey to get there, I'd take the journey. Otherwise, like you, I'd be limited to the Caribbean. Boring.

Doesn't matter if I departed from Southampton or any other European port I would still end up in the Med, The Canaries or the Baltic.

Doesn't matter if I departed from Southampton or any other European port I would still end up in the Med, The Canaries or the Baltic.

Or you could take a TA, explore North America, and then return on another TA.