Breakaway 6/2-6/9 with pics

graphicguy

I really enjoyed following your review. Nicely done with great pictures. I love all the hoopla NCL does when ready to leave port. Seems like a very nice touch.

I have one another question, please.....Did you find O'Sheehans at breakfast to be crowded? What times were you usually there? Thanks!:)

Hi Roe...thanks for the kind words.

I was usually a late riser (at least for me) given that I was "out and about" late. So, I would get up about 9-ish. Grab coffee and danish in the Studio Lounge. Take a shower, and be at O'Sheehans somewhere around 9:30-9:45 a.m., give or take a half hour. The hostess never made me wait, at all.

So, to answer your question directly, there would be times when it had quite a few people there, but never so many as I couldn't be seated immediately.

While I never did, I think you can also get the same O'Sheehans hot breakfast while sitting at the bar, too. So, that's an option.

When is your next cruise? It would be fun to be a cruise with you. My next cruise is in January for the Maiden Voyage of the Getaway. Your pictures and review have helped me prepare for it. Thank You very much. I know that it takes a lot of time and effort to post it all. I am glad you had a wonderful vacation.

3traveler....thank you, so much. I usually won't let anything stand in my way to have a good vacation, or in this instance, a cruise.

I'm researching my next cruise now. I'm trying to decide whether I'll do another Caribbean voyage, or something I haven't done before, like the Panama Canal or Alaska.

Since I'm "Newly Single", I don't have to confer with anyone. I can make my decision, make reservations, and go.

I still may take another cruise this year. Again, just looking around to see what's available and see what my work schedule looks like.

I have done two Alaskan cruises both out of Seattle early in the season. My comment would be to add at least a couple of days on one side of the cruise or the other to see the City of Seattle.

I have done the Panama Cruise twice:(1) Miami to LA and (2) LA to Miami. I am booked on The Sun in October 2014 from LA to Miami again. Late August 2014 will mark the 100th Anniversary of the first ship to pass through the completed Canal.

I have been a widow now almost 6 years and travel solo all the time. 18 cruises completed and 2 more booked.

I have done two Alaskan cruises both out of Seattle early in the season. My comment would be to add at least a couple of days on one side of the cruise or the other to see the City of Seattle.

I have done the Panama Cruise twice:(1) Miami to LA and (2) LA to Miami. I am booked on The Sun in October 2014 from LA to Miami again. Late August 2014 will mark the 100th Anniversary of the first ship to pass through the completed Canal.

I have been a widow now almost 6 years and travel solo all the time. 18 cruises completed and 2 more booked.

Was your Panama Cruise from Miami to LA and LA to Miami a back to back? I'm thinking of doing this but am worried about all the entertainment being the same on the return.

Great review! Thank you! The picture above Maltings what deck is that, is it the back of the ship?

Hi Gershep...thanks for the nice words. Maltings was more or less mid-ship, as were all the restaurants and bars. They may be a tad closer to the stern or aft, but I'd consider them mid-ship. Hope that helps.

3traveler....this was a first for me...traveling solo. I had a grand time.

That said, it's always fun to share. If someone comes into my life again that I'd want to share my advertures with, I certainly wouldn't push them away.

But, this is the first time I've been single in quite a few years. I'm not complaining about it, at all.

I travel alone for work regularly. So, the concept isn't foreign.

Vacationing alone is a bit different. But, I met some wonderful people over the week...on our ship, on the Celebrity ship and Bermudan residents. Matter of fact, I may be heading back to Bermuda this Fall, to visit them.

I hope that those I met enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed theirs. I also hope they remain life long friends.

The Alaskan and Panama cruises are somthing I'm researching now. But, I'm also looking into the Caribbean itineraries, again. Some of it depends on how serious my single friends at home are about joining me. At first mention, they're all over it. But, as these things go, as soon as it's time to pony up a deposit, some are more serious about excuses than they are booking the cruise.;)

I actually have my eye on a couple of Carnival sailings. But, we'll see. Do I make reservations for a cabin with one passenger? Or, a series of cabins, with multiple passengers? Gotta get that sorted, first.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by graphicguy

I was inquiring about the picture you posted above the picture of Maltings. It is an outside picture. I wanted to know what deck, aft or forward. Thanks!

A cruise to Alaska has my vote, not that you asked, lol.

Was your Panama Cruise from Miami to LA and LA to Miami a back to back? I'm thinking of doing this but am worried about all the entertainment being the same on the return.

No, I did the Miami- LA (on to Vancouver B.C.) in April of 2009 on The Pearl. Then in the Fall of 2011, I went from LA to Miami. I much prefer going from LA to Miami- the Crossing is toward the end of the cruise rather than the beginning. Keep in mind that in either direction is a 14 day cruise. I am looking forward to returning in the Fall of 2014, this time from Vancouver, B.C. to Tampa Bay, Florida.

No, I did the Miami- LA (on to Vancouver B.C.) in April of 2009 on The Pearl. Then in the Fall of 2011, I went from LA to Miami. I much prefer going from LA to Miami- the Crossing is toward the end of the cruise rather than the beginning. Keep in mind that in either direction is a 14 day cruise. I am looking forward to returning in the Fall of 2014, this time from Vancouver, B.C. to Tampa Bay, Florida.

I am aware of the 14 day each way, however, I feel that for the money it'll cost me to fly back to Miami I can spend a bit more and cruise! But, as I said, I'm unsure about the fact of seeing the same shows returning as I saw going.

Harriet

Graphicguy, you took some great pictures. Their sure are some beautiful homes on Bermuda. We heard Michael Bloomberg (New York Mayor) had a big mansion on the island too. Your review is right on, many of the things you did we enjoyed too. No scooter for us though.

Here's a picture of us at Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

232323232%7Ffp43846%3Enu%3D6334%3E379%3E235%3EWSNRCG%3D38426%3B77%3B3326nu0mrj

I was on the same June 2nd sailing. I am a platinum member & LOVE NCL. The Breakaway was a beautiful ship.....but I wouldn't go on it again. I traveled w/ a few family members. I had an AFT balcony (12308) and it was the best balcony ever. HUGE describes it. YOu don't have to fight for lounge chairs because you can sun on your own balcony. My brother had a family balcony (10898) and the balcony was ridiculous. There were 2 chairs that had to be faced to one another in order for 2 people to sit out there at the same time. It was his 1st balcony & he was happy with it. We often joked & said that the balcony was only big enough for him & the rest of his family had to stay inside. lol. The inside cabins were extremely spacious- my kids had them (5825 & 5827). Alot of people don't know this but when you get on the ship...instead of going to the Garden Buffet- you can eat for free @ Taste or Savor. It's not crowded on embarkation day because most people don't know it's an option. I was also dissapointed that they did not have Chocolate Night. But I will say that the fireworks show was awesome. There were many positives- one of my favorites was Fat Cat's (and I don't LOVE jazz music...my sister does) This show was one of the highlights of the vacation for me. Ocean Blue(Jeffrey Z's restaurant) did not seem to be doing alot of business the week I was there. People said when the ship 1st sailed NCL was asking 35- pp to eat there & because the response was so good....they jacked the price up to 49- pp. I didn't do. Cake Boss prices were very reasonable. All in all- great vacation....but I'm a Jewel Class Girl. No more Breakaway for me. I prefer a smaller more intimate ship like the Gem. I hope everyone enjoys their vacation & I hope the ship is all that you're looking for. Enjoy!

" The Breakaway was a beautiful ship.....but I wouldn't go on it again."

lalise...I tend to agree with your sentiments. I mentioned earlier that it was a good cruise. But, based on what I saw on the Breakaway, and the reasons posted in the review, I can't imagine I would want to sail her again, nor on her upcoming twin, the Getaway.

So, that means I'll look elsewhere. I wish anyone sailing Breakaway has the cruise of a lifetime.

I was on the same June 2nd sailing. I am a platinum member & LOVE NCL. The Breakaway was a beautiful ship.....but I wouldn't go on it again. I traveled w/ a few family members. I had an AFT balcony (12308) and it was the best balcony ever. HUGE describes it. YOu don't have to fight for lounge chairs because you can sun on your own balcony. My brother had a family balcony (10898) and the balcony was ridiculous. There were 2 chairs that had to be faced to one another in order for 2 people to sit out there at the same time. It was his 1st balcony & he was happy with it. We often joked & said that the balcony was only big enough for him & the rest of his family had to stay inside. lol. The inside cabins were extremely spacious- my kids had them (5825 & 5827). Alot of people don't know this but when you get on the ship...instead of going to the Garden Buffet- you can eat for free @ Taste or Savor. It's not crowded on embarkation day because most people don't know it's an option. I was also dissapointed that they did not have Chocolate Night. But I will say that the fireworks show was awesome. There were many positives- one of my favorites was Fat Cat's (and I don't LOVE jazz music...my sister does) This show was one of the highlights of the vacation for me. Ocean Blue(Jeffrey Z's restaurant) did not seem to be doing alot of business the week I was there. People said when the ship 1st sailed NCL was asking 35- pp to eat there & because the response was so good....they jacked the price up to 49- pp. I didn't do. Cake Boss prices were very reasonable. All in all- great vacation....but I'm a Jewel Class Girl. No more Breakaway for me. I prefer a smaller more intimate ship like the Gem. I hope everyone enjoys their vacation & I hope the ship is all that you're looking for. Enjoy!

Were you able to see the fireworks from your aft balcony? We'll be 11308 in Oct. We splurged on the cabin and may just spend a week in it. :)

Not sure about the fireworks. That night we saw them from spice2o. We heard that the fire works were set to 80's music so that's where we went. It was awesome. Such a good time. The vibe that night was amazing. It seemed that everyone was so happy to be there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I doubt it. They close down the sports complex on deck 17 and shot them towards the port side. We sat on deck 16 and watched them. We got there around 9:30 (my son was using the slides) and they started at 10:30 to much to my surprise. I was expecting 11:15 but was happy with the time change.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Fireworks were cool. I watched them at the bar outside, using the door to the outside OceanPlace by the sushi restaurant. My "group" had a blast at this location.

Seperate subjet. I just noticed nearly 10,500 views for thus thread. Amazing!

Hope it's been helpful.

:D

" The Breakaway was a beautiful ship.....but I wouldn't go on it again."

lalise...I tend to agree with your sentiments. I mentioned earlier that it was a good cruise. But, based on what I saw on the Breakaway, and the reasons posted in the review, I can't imagine I would want to sail her again, nor on her upcoming twin, the Getaway.

So, that means I'll look elsewhere. I wish anyone sailing Breakaway has the cruise of a lifetime.

I feel the same way. We did B2B on Epic 2 years ago and while we had a great time we have no desire to go back. First I thought it was because of the lack of the outdoor space, the feeling being on the water was lost for us on Epic.

After we heard about the Waterfront on Breakaway we booked the cruise. Again the ship is beautiful, we had a very good time but we do not plan to go on it again.

As with the Epic cruise I can't put my finger on it but something was missing on both of those cruises for us.

I feel the same way. We did B2B on Epic 2 years ago and while we had a great time we have no desire to go back. First I thought it was because of the lack of the outdoor space, the feeling being on the water was lost for us on Epic.

After we heard about the Waterfront on Breakaway we booked the cruise. Again the ship is beautiful, we had a very good time but we do not plan to go on it again.

As with the Epic cruise I can't put my finger on it but something was missing on both of those cruises for us.

Aldeya...thanks for the response.

I had the same "not on a cruise" cruise when I sailed the Allure of the Seas.

The Epic I thoroughly enjoyed. And, was out and about most of the time.

The Breakaway, with the Oceanfront, allowed even more of that.

However, the obvious cost cutting was really a turn off, especially given that the Breakaway is one of the most expensive fares in NCL's offerings. Add to that, the price jump of some of the venues, after just a few weeks out, left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe NCL is hoping this will all blow over. And, perhaps it will. But, like you and several others, I'm planning my next cruise, and NCL isn't even on the radar for me.

Again, I had a good time. It was a good cruise. It could have been much better. NCL has some choices to make. Either go down the current road, trying to obviously squeeze every last nickel out of the ship and the passengers. Or, reverse that trend and move towards a more customer focused experience.

It's not the personnel. They're great! It's the ship and NCL's policies that are the issue.

Thanks for the very nice review and photos. It's been a long time since our only NCL cruise but reading some of the Epic and Breakaway reviews inspired me go to the website and sign up for the Latitudes program. I am still considering which line I am going to book for my next cruise, but it is probably going to be either NCL, RCI, or Celebrity.

In the mid to late 90s I could see very little difference in the Carnival/RCI/NCL product, but I don't think that is the case any more.