Umm....paper luggage tags?!?!?1

Kimf

Are you all saying that NCL just recently changed their luggage tags? We have cruised frequently and I never had any problems with our tags coming off. But, it seems like an easy fix and everyone has offered plenty of suggestions. Seems like mountains out of mole hills at this point. :confused:

When printing my boarding pass information for the ship, I see that they provide paper luggage tags. How are you supposed to use these? Our last cruise on Disney they sent us plastic luggage tags to use for identification.

Any recommendations are welcome!

I always cut out my luggage tags long-ways and then laminate them. I attach it to my suitcase with a neon colored (easy identifiable at the airport) cable tie. You can buy self stick laminate sheets at Wally World or any office supply store. Office supply stores will laminate them for you if you don't want to do it. My tags have never once come off. I consider it a small investment in peace of mind.

Have a great cruise!

When printing my boarding pass information for the ship, I see that they provide paper luggage tags. How are you supposed to use these? Our last cruise on Disney they sent us plastic luggage tags to use for identification.

I have always printed them out on poster board which is more durable.

However, for our upcoming NCL cruise I bought NCL luggage tag holders from Cruise Critic store and will simply insert the paper printouts in those.

We don't ask the porters for luggage tags at the pier because they are so busy and don't always have tags with them.

I purchased some luggage tag holders off the internet. they were cheap $2.50 and the printed tag slipped in. easy to attach. I used them once and they are still good to use again. our cruise friend's paper ones were destroyed.

I have these as well. They are from Favors By Serendipity. They are reusable and I've had mine for a few years and many cruises. Well worth it.

I am traveling light ... only a carry-on and a backpack. Do I have to give my carry-on to the porter? Can't I just, you know, carry it on?

Technically yes but rooms aren't usually available until 1 or 2. Depending on what time you arrive you wouldn't have to carry it around with you that long.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Would be simpler if NCL simply send us the luggage tags. They stopped probably because they were trying to save on sending a welcome book and tags preprinted with cabin number etc. So just send us the plain tags and a simple nice welcome letter. Not everyone has a PC and printer believe it or not. It's called the digital divide. :confused:

Many many businesses have gone "paperless" - it makes it to where you can print exactly what you want. Most people never even read the welcome book anyway, so not only did it save money for NCL not to print it, they didn't have to pay for envelopes and postage as well. And last I checked, public libraries had computers AND printers. We just had to use a public library while on vacation - found out a form had to be filled out and postmarked to the IRS with only 3 days notice. We printed pages for $.15 each and use of the computer on a guest pass was free.

Another little note try and not fasten the tags where the baggage

handlers will mash and crunch the tag with their hands. Leave some

room - even you can mash the tag to the point it may not be readable.

Also beware of the bags with two handles - one on the side and one

on the top that usually pulls out in conjunction with the dolly wheels

at the bottom end. Put tags on both handles to insure that they are

seen and not overlooked.

Maybe one of these days the cruise lines will have GPS tracking and

delivery of checked baggage.

Now if they will only let you board with a Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman

tool to cut off the old tags so the disembark tags can be applied when

the cruise is over.

Technically yes but rooms aren't usually available until 1 or 2. Depending on what time you arrive you wouldn't have to carry it around with you that long.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I have found that if you have a lot of carry-on items and you don't want

to drag them all over the ship waiting for your stateroom to be available.

Just march right up to your cabin anyway and stow the goodies there.

If the door is shut and your cabin is ready no real problem here. Use your

key card and stow your stuff.

If the crew is still cleaning up - the decision is up to you if you want to

trust leaving the stuff in one of the storage closets while the door is

propped open for servicing. If the crew is around in most cases they

understand what you are doing and that crew might just be one of your

assigned cabin stewards. If one of the crew introduces himself as your

c/s and says he will watch your stuff - later remember him with a tip !

Now you are free to roam about the ship with all your ship worthy goods

stowed and can go the buffet and not have to do a balancing act.

Yes some of the time the doors to the cabins passage ways are closed

but if you know the ship there is always a way around that by using a

ladder well (aka stairs) to another section and come back one deck above

or below where you want to reach.

I have done this on 5 out of 5 cruises and it has worked out great.

Even more so to meet and greet the c/s early on and note if the bed

needs to be split for singles or pushed together for mates.

Another little note try and not fasten the tags where the baggage

handlers will mash and crunch the tag with their hands. Leave some

room - even you can mash the tag to the point it may not be readable.

Also beware of the bags with two handles - one on the side and one

on the top that usually pulls out in conjunction with the dolly wheels

at the bottom end. Put tags on both handles to insure that they are

seen and not overlooked.

Maybe one of these days the cruise lines will have GPS tracking and

delivery of checked baggage.

Now if they will only let you board with a Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman

tool to cut off the old tags so the disembark tags can be applied when

the cruise is over.[/quote]

I use finger nail clippers to cut mine off.

I laminated mine and stapled them together. They were fine.

Now that is a brilliant idea. I've never thought to use address labels for luggage tags before. Duh! I have huge handwriting and its always so hard for me to fit it on the space provided.

If you fold it the way it suggests the tag is fairly sturdy. That being said I always cover w tape and staple and tape the ends shut around my handle. It has always survived checked airline luggage and cruise ship transfers to the room. I also bring extra address labels (the kind you get for free for life after one $15 donation to someplace like a national wildlife federation). Much easier than writing it out all of the time. And good on case something does happen to your tag.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Never use an address label for a luggage tag if flying. Criminals hang out in airports and love to get that info. Our luggage tags have nothing but our last name and an unlisted cell number on them. An itinerary complete with ship/flight/hotel info along with a cell number. It's the same itinerary we leave with friends who watch our house and relatives. One goes in each piece of luggage, including carry-ons.

Never use an address label for a luggage tag if flying. Criminals hang out in airports and love to get that info. Our luggage tags have nothing but our last name and an unlisted cell number on them. An itinerary complete with ship/flight/hotel info along with a cell number. It's the same itinerary we leave with friends who watch our house and relatives. One goes in each piece of luggage, including carry-ons.

Great advice. Thank you... ;)

And last I checked, public libraries had computers AND printers. We just had to use a public library while on vacation - found out a form had to be filled out and postmarked to the IRS with only 3 days notice. We printed pages for $.15 each and use of the computer on a guest pass was free.

That's great if you have a public library in your area....our closest one closed down (and was replaced by a dental clinic) about 2 years ago. Makes me sad too :(

I have always printed them out on poster board which is more durable.

However, for our upcoming NCL cruise I bought NCL luggage tag holders from Cruise Critic store and will simply insert the paper printouts in those.

We don't ask the porters for luggage tags at the pier because they are so busy and don't always have tags with them.

when I checked out the tags here at the cc store I did not see one for ncl. please tell me which size you got that fits the tag= wide or thin ? thanks .

That's great if you have a public library in your area....our closest one closed down (and was replaced by a dental clinic) about 2 years ago. Makes me sad too :(

My reply was to a person who gives their location as NYC - which has plenty public libraries, but didn't have a computer or printer. My guess is that you live in a really small town and would know someone who would let you use theirs.

when I checked out the tags here at the cc store I did not see one for ncl. please tell me which size you got that fits the tag= wide or thin ? thanks .

Get the wide ones - same price and then you are sure it will fit.

Even at that if not then take a scissors and trim to fit.

Should not need a great deal of trimming.

I bought the luggage tag holders from the cruise critic store. They fit perfectly.

So did I........they worked out great! I ordered the wider ones so I could use them for all cruise lines...we used to laminate them and hole punch and use cable ties to attach.

I bought the wide ones. I figured that was safest for sizing.

Archived