Thanksgiving?

slapsyru

Hi, I asked on my cruise roll call but got no answer. Just a quick question. My cruise in November is over thanksgiving. I'm not American myself, so don't celebrate it, but I know a lot on board are. Do celebrity do anything during the day to celebrate it? Princess a few years ago had decorations, games and a party. It was a really fun afternoon. I have no idea if Celebrity so anything similar?

Thanks

Hi, I've been on two X ships for Thanksgiving (Eclipse and Silhouette) and both were pretty much the same. No big celebration for T-giving but they do wish everyone a happy day and serve Turkey dinner with all the trimmings in the MDR. Seems just right to me. I am from the States and Thanksgiving is usually pretty laid back anyway. Going again this November on the Eclipse.

I don't believe that X is missing out on a great opportunity. They should have a Black Friday Sale for people stand in line and camp out for hours to get bargains in their shops. :D

I was on the Equinox on Thanksgiving Day (and our port that day was Turkey - of course :D). Not only did we have the "usual" turkey dinner fixings but they also showed the NFL games via satellite with all the "usual" football fare (popcorn, nacho bar, etc).

I was so happy to be able to not break tradition and see my Lions lose (again)....:rolleyes:

K

And they did have "black friday" sales in the shops starting at midnight.

I recall when we lived in the UK and my wife went to the butcher to buy a turkey for thanksgiving. The butcher asked if she wanted a white, yellow or black turkey. In the US we only have one (it's not black, but I can't tell you if it's white or yellow). We also dress the bird differently...no head, and no lower leg.

We have not sailed on Thanksgiving but I would expect the carved meat in the Buffet to be whole turkey with cranberry sauce, some stuffing and some sweet potatoes. At dinner, it would be nice if they wheeled around a whole bird and carved it at the table, but that's impossible in the MDR. I'm sure that they do have turkey, stuffing and sweet potatoes as one of the items.

Thanksgiving is a traditional American holiday where families get together or do special things...but no costumes or other special things. Fundamentally it is an opportunity to eat far too much good home cooked food :) I love thanksgiving where I smoke a (white or yellow?) turkey over apple wood.

We were also for Thanksgiving with Celebrity. Nothing special. The turkey at dinner was some kind of frozen food. Not good. However at lunch time the buffet restaurant had a nice roasted Turkey.

We've been on two different Celebrity ships on Thanksgiving, and our experience was exactly the same as travelberlin. At lunch, in the buffet turkey was carved to your specifications. But at dinner the turkey was offered, but was lousy, as if it was some sort of frozen rolled turkey breast.

On our cruise in November 2011 while on a galley tour for elites someone asked about Thanksgiving dinner. The answer was that there would be elements of a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner available, but, no it wouldn't be the full deal.

We've been on five cruises over American Tgiving (2 RCCI, 2 X, 1 NCL). Not much special - on RCCI and X, one of the formal nights was switched to that Thursday, and they had a special menu that included a turkey dinner and specialty apps and desserts. Not much more. The Hot Glass show on Solstice on one Med cruise did a "tur-duc-hen"

College football is an important part of our Thanksgiving tradition, and our scheduled seating in MDR was going to interfere with kick-off...oh dear! So our 3-generation family unanimously voted to have dinner in the buffet that evening, and what a pleasant surprise that was! Stations were set up where chefs carved whole fresh-roasted turkeys and prime rib, and the buffet included all the traditional trimmings plus many other choices.

Tables were set with white linen cloths, and waiters eagerly delivered drinks and desserts to our family. For his holiday meal, our 5-year-old grandson chose his favorite foods--pizza and French Fries. And after he gobbled it down, he looked up at me and said, "Nana, that was the best Thanksgiving dinner you've ever cooked!"

I was on the Equinox on Thanksgiving Day (and our port that day was Turkey - of course :D). Not only did we have the "usual" turkey dinner fixings but they also showed the NFL games via satellite with all the "usual" football fare (popcorn, nacho bar, etc).

I was so happy to be able to not break tradition and see my Lions lose (again)....:rolleyes:

K

And they did have "black friday" sales in the shops starting at midnight.

Where did they televise the games?

Archived