23 Sept 2013 - Hawaiian Solstice - LOSE 2 CRUISE.

MicCanberra

Hello Everyone!

I'm back from the Med and it was incredible!! The Equinox was wonderful!

I will post more a bit later, as I'm trying to catch up on a kazillion things first day back, but I am fairly happy with my first weigh in post cruise. Despite all the gelatos and pasta :eek:, I gained only 4 lbs. I don't know if any water weight will fall off over the next couple of days, as I didn't have a lot of swelling this time. I did an unbelievable amount of walking everyday...tackled more stairs than I care to discuss (ugh), but was able cover more territory than I thought I would due to using a cane in all the ports.

I booked a future cruise while onboard....Panama Canal 4/2016.

Thank God my husband made me coffee this morning, as I was having a Al Bacio Cafe espresso withdrawel! :D

Glad to see that everyone's had a good couple of weeks!

Pat :)

Hello Everyone!

I'm back from the Med and it was incredible!! The Equinox was wonderful!

I will post more a bit later, as I'm trying to catch up on a kazillion things first day back, but I am fairly happy with my first weigh in post cruise. Despite all the gelatos and pasta :eek:, I gained only 4 lbs. I don't know if any water weight will fall off over the next couple of days, as I didn't have a lot of swelling this time. I did an unbelievable amount of walking everyday...tackled more stairs than I care to discuss (ugh), but was able cover more territory than I thought I would due to using a cane in all the ports.

I booked a future cruise while onboard....Panama Canal 4/2016.

Thank God my husband made me coffee this morning, as I was having a Al Bacio Cafe espresso withdrawel! :D

Glad to see that everyone's had a good couple of weeks!

So glad you had such a good time, have seen some of the photos on FB as well. Excellent that you were able to indulge and still not gain much at all. You will enjoy the panama canal,we did. Do you know if you are doing the new locks or the existing ones. I wouldn't mind doing it again but through the new locks.:D

Julie, nice to have you back with us. Pat, you did so well! I never come off of a cruise with such little weight gain. Good for you, Deanna. I'm going to wait a little while to weigh in again, so I won't get discouraged! Marsha is on a cruise. Hope she joins us when she comes back. She signed up for another cruise this morning. Mic, hope you're feeling better.

Peg

Edited by Honeybearhollow

Julie, nice to have you back with us. Pat, you did so well! I never come off of a cruise with such little weight gain. Good for you, Deanna. I'm going to wait a little while to weigh in again, so I won't get discouraged! Marsha is on a cruise. Hope she joins us when she comes back. She signed up for another cruise this morning. Mic, hope you're feeling better.

Peg

Yes, the leg is feeling good, had a couple of games and a bit of walking so it is all well for tomorrows game again.:D

Thanks!

So Pat, you got to see the changes on the Equinox? What did you think? Bill, Marilynn and I are on it at the end of October. I'm looking forward to trying the new gastro bar. I really wish I could do the 2 week med cruise before the TA but it's too pricey for me on my own. A lot of people are doing the B2B.

Weight watchers is going well so far. Had my second attempt at jogging today and it was a little harder cause I was still a bit sore from Wednesday. Only managed 5 x 2 minutes within the walk. Didn't help that the dogs were not being very good!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks!

So Pat, you got to see the changes on the Equinox? What did you think? Bill, Marilynn and I are on it at the end of October. I'm looking forward to trying the new gastro bar. I really wish I could do the 2 week med cruise before the TA but it's too pricey for me on my own. A lot of people are doing the B2B.

Weight watchers is going well so far. Had my second attempt at jogging today and it was a little harder cause I was still a bit sore from Wednesday. Only managed 5 x 2 minutes within the walk. Didn't help that the dogs were not being very good!

Keep at it and it will get easier. I take it your mum isn't up to travelling with you this time.:D

Thanks!

Hi Julie! So good to see you here!

The new venues on Equinox are a great addition, I think. My daughter and I helped with the official ribbon cutting of the new Slush. Got several free drinks for participating in their Grand Opening on 5/8. We really enjoyed the new drinks, although we rarely saw anyone there and only one employee was manning it. My daughter gave him a lot of practice making the Mint Cookie, but she mainly got the non-alcoholic version as only that was covered by our Classic Bev Pkg. The alcoholic ones were $10...and yes, all drinks have gone up on the ship. I can't speak to the Premium Pkg, but the Classic now covers non-alcoholic up to $7 and alcoholic up to $9.

We really enjoyed the Gastrobar. It is nice open area and very nice, comfortable decor. Comfortable, casual area for small grps to get together. The food options (pub fare) range from $3 to $8. We tried three things to share....Truffled Grilled Cheese sandwich, Truffle fries, and the Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Goat Cheese Flatbread. It was a lot of food for $14, and very, very delicious. Unfortunately, we are not beer drinkers, so we kind of missed out on the whole point of the Bar. If you ask them to, they will pair the perfect beer(s) with your food choices. People were just raving about how good this was. I did try to order a cider to try, but the server told me it wasn't covered on my Bev pkg, altho the price was only $7. I was very confused, but didn't pursue it. I was able to order a Margarita, so maybe any drinks posted on their menu or not eligible for the drink pkg, or at Classic level?? (or maybe the server didn't have his facts straight yet??) I didn't see a lot of people in this venue, but they were at least promoting it with some special doings during the second half of the cruise, and I think more people started checking it out and liking it.

So glad you had such a good time, have seen some of the photos on FB as well. Excellent that you were able to indulge and still not gain much at all. You will enjoy the panama canal,we did. Do you know if you are doing the new locks or the existing ones. I wouldn't mind doing it again but through the new locks.:D

Thanks, Mic...yes, we did have a fabulous trip. Mother/daughter adventure that we will remember fondly with lots of laughable stories for the rest of our lives (like how we didn't really know what "small fried fish" was on the menu in Croatia and ended up feeding it to the stray cats!:eek:).

I guess I need to do my research, as I don't know if the locks will the old or new for us. I'm sure my husband will want to know more about this, too, as I booked this without his knowledge onboard. Of course, Kim had to narc on Mom as soon as we got home...:D. I wasn't worried as this has been on our bucket list for some time.

Keep at it and it will get easier. I take it your mum isn't up to travelling with you this time.:D

No, just me. I don't mind the occasional trip with my mother but it's not the same kind of trip for me. ;) She could not keep up with me in Europe! Hawaii was really for her, a last hurrah of sorts. She's 81 now and since she came home from Hawaii sick, I think she's afraid of travelling again. We'll see. I'll have lots of company on the Equinox, there are about 14 of us that now each other from the Silhouette TA in 2012.

Thanks for the info Pat. I'm not a beer drinker either but some of the cocktails on the Gastrobar menu look nice. No drink package for me, so the price increases are not good news.

Thanks, Mic...yes, we did have a fabulous trip. Mother/daughter adventure that we will remember fondly with lots of laughable stories for the rest of our lives (like how we didn't really know what "small fried fish" was on the menu in Croatia and ended up feeding it to the stray cats!:eek:).

I guess I need to do my research, as I don't know if the locks will the old or new for us. I'm sure my husband will want to know more about this, too, as I booked this without his knowledge onboard. Of course, Kim had to narc on Mom as soon as we got home...:D. I wasn't worried as this has been on our bucket list for some time.

LOL, so you didn't try any?:p

You doing the Panama with X on the Infinity (M class) which was built as a Panamax ship (Panama maximum), then that is likely to go through the old locks. It only has a few feet to spare at either end and the sides when in the locks, it is a tight fit and is very exciting.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

No, just me. I don't mind the occasional trip with my mother but it's not the same kind of trip for me. ;) She could not keep up with me in Europe! Hawaii was really for her, a last hurrah of sorts. She's 81 now and since she came home from Hawaii sick, I think she's afraid of travelling again. We'll see. I'll have lots of company on the Equinox, there are about 14 of us that now each other from the Silhouette TA in 2012.

Thanks for the info Pat. I'm not a beer drinker either but some of the cocktails on the Gastrobar menu look nice. No drink package for me, so the price increases are not good news.

That is not good news for you or your mother although I am sure that you will not be held back to much having to travel alone for now.

The drinks going up and what is included or not in packages has been on CC for a few weeks and there are a lot of angry people. Hopefully it is sorted now but it will cost us all more in the end. such is life I suppose.:D

That is not good news for you or your mother although I am sure that you will not be held back to much having to travel alone for now.

The drinks going up and what is included or not in packages has been on CC for a few weeks and there are a lot of angry people. Hopefully it is sorted now but it will cost us all more in the end. such is life I suppose.:D

I've travelled alone on the majority of my trips, boyfriends and friends have never had the time and/or money. I always seemed to go out with poor guys, LOL. In my younger days I went on Contiki group tours and used the roommate matching. At least now with cruising I know people onboard. It makes it quite addictive, vs going off completely alone. I've been very lucky to meet some great people who don't mind having a third wheel. ;)

On the losing front, so far so good. I've managed to stay within my points, even with a dinner out for a friend's birthday. I just have to stay away from my sister, she's a bad influence! Well, except for the jogging...

I've travelled alone on the majority of my trips, boyfriends and friends have never had the time and/or money. I always seemed to go out with poor guys, LOL. In my younger days I went on Contiki group tours and used the roommate matching. At least now with cruising I know people onboard. It makes it quite addictive, vs going off completely alone. I've been very lucky to meet some great people who don't mind having a third wheel. ;)

On the losing front, so far so good. I've managed to stay within my points, even with a dinner out for a friend's birthday. I just have to stay away from my sister, she's a bad influence! Well, except for the jogging...

That is good to hear, not the part about your sister being a bad influence.:p

Welcome home Pat, glad you had a great trip. Is the med absolutely wonderful? Where did they put the gastro bar on the Equinox? Did it replace something?

Thanks, Deanna!

The Med is simply incredible! It is just so amazing to see all these places that you have always read about, right before your eyes. And we were blessed with wonderful weather everywhere...mid 70's every day. It was pretty crowded everywhere we went, I just kept thinking about how it would be in the peak season...with high temps and much bigger crowds! So glad we went in May. I got a great tan right off the bat while in Spain. My favorite port is Barcelona! We went in a couple of days early and had a blast. I've heard, and I concur, that Barcelona is the easiest port to embark/disembark from as well.

The Gastrobar replaced Cellarmasters. I didn't go there while on Solstice, so I don't remember how it looked, but people are saying that the new decor is very similar? I felt it was a nice, cozy venue and the food was really delish.

So...I was wrong about my weight gain, mixed up my info...I actually gained 7 lbs on the trip, but....."drumroll, please"....I've lost every bit of it already since I've been home! Great news, of course, but now is the challenge, as my activity level has now dramaticly decreased. I do go back to work PT tomorrow, so at least I won't be completely inactive. And of course, I won't be having Creme Brule every night any more! :eek:

And yes, Mic...we did "try" the small fish...not our thing. Quickly determined it was better suited as cat food...:p

Thanks, Deanna!

The Med is simply incredible! It is just so amazing to see all these places that you have always read about, right before your eyes. And we were blessed with wonderful weather everywhere...mid 70's every day. It was pretty crowded everywhere we went, I just kept thinking about how it would be in the peak season...with high temps and much bigger crowds! So glad we went in May. I got a great tan right off the bat while in Spain. My favorite port is Barcelona! We went in a couple of days early and had a blast. I've heard, and I concur, that Barcelona is the easiest port to embark/disembark from as well.

The Gastrobar replaced Cellarmasters. I didn't go there while on Solstice, so I don't remember how it looked, but people are saying that the new decor is very similar? I felt it was a nice, cozy venue and the food was really delish.

So...I was wrong about my weight gain, mixed up my info...I actually gained 7 lbs on the trip, but....."drumroll, please"....I've lost every bit of it already since I've been home! Great news, of course, but now is the challenge, as my activity level has now dramaticly decreased. I do go back to work PT tomorrow, so at least I won't be completely inactive. And of course, I won't be having Creme Brule every night any more! :eek:

And yes, Mic...we did "try" the small fish...not our thing. Quickly determined it was better suited as cat food...:p

Glad you had a great cruise, we look forward to 2016 when we plan to do the med around April May. Well done with losing it all straight away as well.:D

It is amazing you have already lost your cruise weight, Pat. I'm still carrying mine from Feb. Julie, 1.4 is not a bad weight loss, but I know how you feel. I was hoping for 2 pounds a week. That is not happening. Good luck, all of you.

Don't worry, take what you can get.

Great news, Rosie is going to have an early retirement (she may go back to work in a while) due to finally getting a redundancy (lots going at work). She is aiming to get fit and healthy and also lose some weight, read more and do some volunteering. I am excited for her. :D

Pat, where did the slush bar go? Glad you had great weather and thrilled you've lost all your cruise weight. I'm still struggling with the last few pounds of mine from last month sigh.

They took out the little sundries shop that was between the regular pools and the Solarium. It's not bad spot really, but it didn't seem to get utiilized it's first sailing. They need to talk it up on the daily, like they did the Gastrobar.

I am a bit younger than her so may retire in a few years. I need to keep the money coming in so we can still cruise as much as we do now.:D

My husband and I are in the same situation....I'm four yrs older than he is. So I bailed on my FT job last year, and he is just now talking about retirement. I think he'll do it in two or three yrs. I must be driving him crazy with my cruise planning, because before, I was lucky to get a week off at a time, and now I want to do all these 10-15 day cruises. Luckily, he is self-employed, so I can twist his arm a little bit (although being self-employed does mean unpaid time off!!). Half of my cruises are without him anyway...I usually can find someone to indulge with me...:eek:

Great news for Rosie! So happy for her! Great time in your life, for sure! Wish her lots of luck on her goals, as well!