23 Sept 2013 - Hawaiian Solstice - LOSE 2 CRUISE.

MicCanberra

Thanks everyone for your support, encouragement, and high fives! I really did amaze myself with the weight loss, but if you only knew how active I was on that cruise, we shouldn't be surprised. For me, it was like training for a triathalon! :D I am never that active in normal life, and I'm so thankful that me knees held out for me. I did comsume a fair amount of pain pills to survive, and think those curb my appetite a bit...otherwise, I would have been eating a lot more on the ship!

So now...I'm really frightened that the weight is going to creep back on, without that level of metabolism. Monday is my usual weigh in day, but I had it so much on my mind, that I had to take a peek at the scale today. To my amazement, I've lost another 2 lbs. I do seem to have better luck in the summer than around the big winter holidays, so.....fingers crossed! ;)

My husband and I are in the same situation....I'm four yrs older than he is. So I bailed on my FT job last year, and he is just now talking about retirement. I think he'll do it in two or three yrs. I must be driving him crazy with my cruise planning, because before, I was lucky to get a week off at a time, and now I want to do all these 10-15 day cruises. Luckily, he is self-employed, so I can twist his arm a little bit (although being self-employed does mean unpaid time off!!). Half of my cruises are without him anyway...I usually can find someone to indulge with me...:eek:

Great news for Rosie! So happy for her! Great time in your life, for sure! Wish her lots of luck on her goals, as well!

Yes, Rosie has been trying to book so many already. I don't think we are going to fully retire just yet though. Roise turns 50 soon, so it would be a long time retired but a few years off and then some part time or casual work may be what she wants to do.

As for me, I think I would like to do all the trips so working until I cannot may be required.:D

Good for Rosie. She has plenty of time to start a whole new career!

Pat, that is wonderful! Another 2 pounds. I really feel lots of exercise is the key. I'm pretty active right now, but in the winter I can be a real couch potato. I have to make myself get out and move.

Good for Rosie. She has plenty of time to start a whole new career!

Pat, that is wonderful! Another 2 pounds. I really feel lots of exercise is the key. I'm pretty active right now, but in the winter I can be a real couch potato. I have to make myself get out and move.

Moving is the key, weight control is all about calories in vs calories out. Speaking of moving, I scored three more goals at soccer today, playing well and feeling good, despite the rain and cold today. That makes 9 goals in three games.:D:D

congrats to rosie on early retirement and congrats to you mic for your three goals.

I'm down half a pound this morning, 2 pounds to go to reach my pre cruise weight. sooo close lol

You are getting there, well done.:D

You are getting there, well done.:D

I seem to have hit a plateau of sorts these past couple weeks, up one, down one, up one, down one, don't know how to break it. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to break a plateau?

I seem to have hit a plateau of sorts these past couple weeks, up one, down one, up one, down one, don't know how to break it. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to break a plateau?

More exercise and fruit and less alcohol.:eek:

congrats to rosie on early retirement and congrats to you mic for your three goals.

I'm down half a pound this morning, 2 pounds to go to reach my pre cruise weight. sooo close lol

I was wondering, which cruise do you base your "pre-cruise" weight on? For me, even though I've taken two cruises since then, I still base it on pre-Hawaii. Lot of ups and downs since then, but still haven't got back to pre-Solstice, when we started this thread! Still need to go down 8 lbs to accomplish that! :eek:

I was wondering, which cruise do you base your "pre-cruise" weight on? For me, even though I've taken two cruises since then, I still base it on pre-Hawaii. Lot of ups and downs since then, but still haven't got back to pre-Solstice, when we started this thread! Still need to go down 8 lbs to accomplish that! :eek:

I use the cruise that I have done last as the goal but then I have been getting back each time or going further. I suppose my ultimate weight goal is around 87 kgs which is what I have been several times and when I felt healthiest and the most fit.

Maybe I should start dieting (seriously) again to get there, I would need to lose around 3 kgs.:D

I'm going back to my 2012 December TA. Boarding the solstice I was probably 3 or 4 lbs higher, and as of 2 weeks ago I was 10 lbs above that (with another cruise in between). It wasn't the cruises so much as a long boring winter of just not caring what I ate. So after a good first 2 weeks, I have about 10 lbs to go to say "good enough".

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I wish I was using my Hawaii pre weight, that is 12 pounds off from where I am right now. I'm using my last cruise in April of this year to lose 2 pounds to get to my "pre cruise weight", then I will embark on another mission to lose the last 10 to get to my true pre cruise weight of what I weighed going onto Hawaii. I feel so fat it's depressing.

Mic, I did cut out all alcohol to save calories.

I suppose we all have goals of where our weight should be and where we want it to be, sometimes they are the same and sometimes they can differ. For me I would like to be 3 kgs down (my pre-cruise weight to give me a buffer) but I probably am at where I should be in terms of this is the weight I have been most of my life since turning 18. My jeans, etc are still the same sizes as back then, the only difference is the amount of belly (spare tyre) being above the belt line.

Anyway, keep at all the exercise, eat sensibly and it will come off.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Well, I have a goal weight in mind which I never seem to get to. I can't remember where I was just before Hawaii. But I did gain on that cruise and some in the winter and then the Feb cruise. I think I have lost about 20 pounds this Spring, but I'm probably 10 pounds more than before the Hawaii cruise. This last week I lost about 2 pounds. I've been planting flowers and getting ready for company, so I have been pretty active. I have a little over 4 months before the Oct cruise, so I am hoping to lose at least 25 pounds. I would love to lose 30, but at the rate I'm going, that might not be realistic.

Edited by Honeybearhollow

My goal weight is 115. As of this morning I am at 130, so 15 pounds to go. I gained 4 pounds this week eating out. Can't complain as I knew I was overdoing it while eating so I deserve the gain. Hope to have a leaner week next week and lose a few pounds. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

It's so interesting hearing everyone's weight travels...everyone is quite different, of course. I'd like to say I was like Mic, to be pretty stable most of my life, but alas, my story is much different. I've struggled with weight gain all my adult life...at one point weighing almost 300 lbs. Twenty five years ago I did the Optifast Diet (that Oprah did) and lost almost 100 lbs. If you could live on a liquid diet the rest of your life that would be fine, I guess. :rolleyes: Long story short, I didn't handle maintenance well, and gained all of it back over time. Ten years ago, I discovered Atkins's low carb diet. I lost almost 60 lbs with that, but kinda fell off the wagon, so to speak. Therefore, since then, I've been seesawing back and forth constantly, but within 10 lb of my low carb success. I can do low carb very easily...I can have my cream in my coffee, my cheeses and dressings, that I love. I'm not a big sweets or bread person, so I can stear clear of them if I really want to. The problem with being strict with this diet is it's hard to stear clear of anything with sugar and flour additives. If you can stick to fresh vegetables, meat and some fruits...you're great!

Summer is so much easier for us to reach our goals! More fresh food available. More activity to keep us busy! I'm rededicating myself to keeping on task going forward. Also, to be truely on point...keeping a food journal helps a lot! We can all do it! ;)

So with that said...sorry for the rant!...by the end of the weekend, I'll know if I have another cruise booked. I'm waiting to hear from my friend as to whether she is good for a date in Oct to go to Bermuda. Anyone ever been there? It would be my first time!

Have a great weekend everyone! Lovely weather here in the Midwest...at last! Possibly a walk in order?

It's so interesting hearing everyone's weight travels...everyone is quite different, of course. I'd like to say I was like Mic, to be pretty stable most of my life, but alas, my story is much different. I've struggled with weight gain all my adult life...at one point weighing almost 300 lbs. Twenty five years ago I did the Optifast Diet (that Oprah did) and lost almost 100 lbs. If you could live on a liquid diet the rest of your life that would be fine, I guess. :rolleyes: Long story short, I didn't handle maintenance well, and gained all of it back over time. Ten years ago, I discovered Atkins's low carb diet. I lost almost 60 lbs with that, but kinda fell off the wagon, so to speak. Therefore, since then, I've been seesawing back and forth constantly, but within 10 lb of my low carb success. I can do low carb very easily...I can have my cream in my coffee, my cheeses and dressings, that I love. I'm not a big sweets or bread person, so I can stear clear of them if I really want to. The problem with being strict with this diet is it's hard to stear clear of anything with sugar and flour additives. If you can stick to fresh vegetables, meat and some fruits...you're great!

Summer is so much easier for us to reach our goals! More fresh food available. More activity to keep us busy! I'm rededicating myself to keeping on task going forward. Also, to be truely on point...keeping a food journal helps a lot! We can all do it! ;)

So with that said...sorry for the rant!...by the end of the weekend, I'll know if I have another cruise booked. I'm waiting to hear from my friend as to whether she is good for a date in Oct to go to Bermuda. Anyone ever been there? It would be my first time!

Have a great weekend everyone! Lovely weather here in the Midwest...at last! Possibly a walk in order?

I think it is harder for women to maintain the same weights all their lives as they have a lot more things to factor in (children and such) but the main thing is to keep on a healthy food intake (diet) all your life. My secret (not really a secret) is that I have always kept active and my food intake has always been relatively stable as in calorie intake (cruises/holidays excluded). One of the main reasons diets fail is that they are too hard to maintain. They help with quick weight loss but the body bounces back when you stop. This is why a change of everyday eating that can be maintained for the whole year is good, food that is not only healthy but nice and also filling. So then the periods of stricter dieting (concerted efforts in lower intake and higher activity) can help lower your weight and then the normal food intake maintains that lower weight.

Of course it is all so easy to write down much harder to do, life is so much more complex with parties and friends and weekends away, and treats, etc,

Just keep at it and keep moving .:D

I find booking regular cruises to be very helpful, because you always have something to look good for. ;)

I'm putting this theory into practice this week, just booked 14 days on the serenade of the seas for May 2015. Norwegian fjords and baltics, 2 7 day cruises B2B. :)

I find booking regular cruises to be very helpful, because you always have something to look good for. ;)

I'm putting this theory into practice this week, just booked 14 days on the serenade of the seas for May 2015. Norwegian fjords and baltics, 2 7 day cruises B2B. :)

Nice work, Yes, the regular cruising is a great incentive to keep looking good and losing weight but it is also the cause of why we gain weight in the first place. Catch 22.:p

So true!!:D:D

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2