Vent - My BFF is driving me CRAZY!

cynt

May I commend you on your GREAT attitude toward your friend? While I'm sure it's aggravating, it's nice to focus on the important things and not letting something like that cost you what's most valuable - your friendship.

I have medical power of attorney over my now aging parents so if something happened I would need to consider the possibilities and make sure that I'm available to them just like I would my children. I "get" where your friend is coming from and I'm sure staying home wasn't an easy decision or one that she made lightly.

Enjoy your trip - I'm sure it will be a wonderful adventure! :cool:

"The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years."

Wow hadn't worked a full time job in 15 years. Sort of strikes me as being well within the margins of ... oh how do I say it .... A lazy LOSER!!!. I bet this isn't the first time you've had to pay her way.

If I had a friend that would pay my way for a cruise I would break down and cry. I would be their cruise slave.

My advice ..... call her and tell her that you have cancelled her reservation and then go alone. On the first sea day, after a good nights sleep ... ponder this one thought ..... ahhhhh

so this is what it's like not having MS. Lazy Loser hanging around. Sounds like you are a decent and responsible person ... you deserve better. Go girl you go find it. :cool:

JT

Wow! I'm sure others have already commented, but how do you misinterpret a line that you took the time to include in your response?

Her friend of 20+ years was laid off of her job that she's worked at for 15+ years; she's only been unemployed for a couple of years. And that is not hard to believe in today's economy.

At first I thought you were just being funny, but you're not; you were dead serious. Your comment was rude.

Edit: I see you made Cynt laugh.

I'm not watching any kids' date=' Cynt;[/color'] I'm going on that cruise with you and Ang. LOL :D:D

ROTFLOL!!! You sound just like my BFF in Houston. :D She would say where's my invite. I'm taking my kids to Ang to babysit and I'm joining you on that cruise. LOL!!

Thanks for making me crack up this morning. Love you guys!!!

Completely off the OP's topic but sort of related...as dining solo may now apply to her as well:)

"My only curse going solo is meals, so I usually go to the buffet"

This made me sad :( I know my experiences and personality are exactly that and may not suit you but I would encourage you to try going to the MDR even if dining solo.

I have always been a person who enjoys dining alone; be it at a small local pub or a top of the line steakhouse so for me being on a cruise solo is no different. I truly enjoy relaxing with my book, being served and sipping a nice glass of wine. I take myself out to dinner frequently. Married or not, I always have been this way :) So on a cruise that is a big part of my enjoyment. I also make reservations at the steakhouse each trip. One trip I ate up there 3 times I enjoyed it so much. I know dining solo isn't for everyone and perhaps out of many a persons "comfort zone", but for me solo dining is actually something I never even think twice about it.

You can speak with the Maitre D and request a large table, preferably with other solos at it as well so that you don't feel like the only person who isn't part of a couple or if you prefer to be alone (like me) a table for 2 works well. I prefer the table for 2 so that I can eat in peace and read or people watch at my whim, not feeling forced to make conversation. Frequently neighbouring tables strike up conversations with me and I feel the liberty to converse as short or long with them as I like :) Once I was placed at a table for 4 and although I ate my dinner with that lovely couple the first night I asked to be switched to a table for 2 on my way out. I had already explained to them that although I enjoyed our conversation, I felt that it would be nicer for them to be able to dine alone without me "tagging along". That was NOT what I wanted to do. A table for 4 was not working for me :) That was my only "bad" experience if you can call it that....something I would NOT have done all week long!

So, I urge you to give it a try if you can or wish to....you may be surprised. I just felt bad when you posted that and felt like perhaps you were missing out on what can be (and definitely is to me) one of the enjoyable aspects of a cruise. I hate to think that you aren't going to the MDR only because you are solo. Happy sailing whatever you do :)

I'm the 2nd oldest of 7 kids. I have no problem mixing and mingling with other people. I've done it my whole life. I can eat, travel, watch a show or movie by myself or with others. You enjoy your alone time after being raised in a house with 9 people. LOL! So being alone or with others is never an issue. I've learned how to adapt to my surroundings.

Thanks for being concerned about my dining choices but I look forward to meeting my table mates. If we gel we gel if not I'm not afraid to speak up and move to a different table. I've always had great tablemates. Dining tablemates is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get.

Her dad and brother may be there but typically men are not good care takers and you say dad is in worse health than mom.

Broken ribs are very painful, especially for someone who may have trouble getting around and bladder infections in elderly are more serious and cause other physical and mental problems---not the same as when we are younger.

Personally, I think you are being a little self centered.

Well the verdict is in I'm traveling SOLO!! She's really concerned about her mom and her mom's health. Her mom has had some complications with her health. She officially cancelled her plans to go on the cruise. Thanks for everyone's concern. I'm bummed about her decision but I'm OK.

Now I'm excited all over again because this will be a new adventure for me cruising SOLO. It's been over 10 years since my last solo cruise. Chef's table, fun tour, I've always wanted to book back to back to back spa appointments so I could have a whole day and evening in the spa. KING BED!!! So to say the least I'm over it.:D I know her and when she first said she might cancel I knew she probably would because she's very careful with her words. She's still my BESTIE and life goes on. :)

My last cruise was with my son who was graduating was high school, so call it solo. I really, really, really, did I say really enjoyed it. I met and connected with some wonderful ladies who were doing a girls trip. We are now so connected that one is flying out to see me soon. I can be a party of one so anyone joining in just make it more fun. Other than hurting my knee three times on the dance floor and threw out my back doing the limbo, this cruise was fun and for sure memorable.

This friend thing made me smile. I offered to pay for a friend's ticket so she can attend her daughter wedding. Her pride won't let her accept but she doesn't want to hurt my feeling so she is avoiding me. I am one step from de-friending her on FB, which I know will crush her. No, I won't do that but for crying out loud

I'm the 2nd oldest of 7 kids. I have no problem mixing and mingling with other people. I've done it my whole life. I can eat, travel, watch a show or movie by myself or with others. You enjoy your alone time after being raised in a house with 9 people. LOL! So being alone or with others is never an issue. I've learned how to adapt to my surroundings.

Thanks for being concerned about my dining choices but I look forward to meeting my table mates. If we gel we gel if not I'm not afraid to speak up and move to a different table. I've always had great tablemates. Dining tablemates is like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get.

Im glad to hear that Cynt! I actually sort of hijacked your thread a little to the woman who posted just above me regarding her only curse of solo cruising was dining alone so she went to the buffet only ...I was hoping to give her a peptalk :) And you if need be :) But I see that you are all set in that department! I'm sure it will be fantastic cruise depsite the initial disappointment with your friend! Enjoy!!

I'm not watching any kids' date=' Cynt; I'm going on that cruise with you and Ang. LOL :D:D[/quote']

Well there goes my babysitter!

Cynt,go forth and have fun! I've gone solo on NCL...on Epic where they cater to solos. I'm curious to know how it works out on CCL cause I'm considering doing one on there too.

Thanks everyone. I know not to say anything or do anything like cancel her spot. I will show up with my bags and get checked in for the cruise. NO SHOW for her. King bed for me!!! YES!!!

Her dad and brother may be there but typically men are not good care takers and you say dad is in worse health than mom.

Broken ribs are very painful, especially for someone who may have trouble getting around and bladder infections in elderly are more serious and cause other physical and mental problems---not the same as when we are younger.

Personally, I think you are being a little self centered.

Did you read the entire thread ???????? :confused:

Thanks everyone. I know not to say anything or do anything like cancel her spot. I will show up with my bags and get checked in for the cruise. NO SHOW for her. King bed for me!!! YES!!!

Since you're going solo, it doesn't have to be! :eek:;):D

Ang you're a RIOT!!! We need to cruise together. LOL!!!:D Thanks for the encouragement. I'm READY TO DO THIS!!!

You should do Epic with us on Dec 7! There is a big group of cc'ers on that one! We met last year through roll call and we're doing a reunion! Haha! It's a fun group.

Four months ago I would have said she was crazy but today not so. I lost my mom unexpectedly on February 9th. My mom always played down her illness's, never made a big deal. This time I lost her really wasn't that unexpected if she would have told us kids that she was having shortness of breath. Anyway if your friend feels she needs to be with her mom, she should. Off my soapbox now.

Four months ago I would have said she was crazy but today not so. I lost my mom unexpectedly on February 9th. My mom always played down her illness's, never made a big deal. This time I lost her really wasn't that unexpected if she would have told us kids that she was having shortness of breath. Anyway if your friend feels she needs to be with her mom, she should. Off my soapbox now.

I've been there. Out of nowhere my dad went into diabetic coma and never woke up that was 8 years ago. Still miss him and still want to call him and say whatcha cooking on the grill this weekend. I'll bring the chicken. So I get it. Hugs for you. And more hugs. I know everyone keeps telling you it will get better and it will eventually but cry when you want to cry and scream when you want to scream. We were at Disney a few weeks ago and I kept thinking dad would have enjoyed this or dad would have really loved that. I just had to shed some tears cause I really missed him. You're world kind of shifts but you will make it through.

So no ill feelings towards my bestie and now that I think about it that's probably why I'm not tripping after my initial temper tantrum. You only get one set of parents do what you need to do.

You only get one set of parents do what you need to do.

True, that. I lost one parent very suddenly & aside from ICU visits I had no chance to do anything for her. Having that chance to give back is huge & something I wish I had the opportunity to do.

But the friend's Mom having broken ribs & a bladder infection could lead to serious health issues. If the Mom is elderly or in general poor health, it could turn into sepsis & a true medical emergency. Likewise with fractured ribs leading to pneumonia / respiratory failure.

I hope you have a great cruise anyhow.

The last couple of years my BFF of 20+ years has been unemployed and working temp/contract since she was laid off of her job of 15+ years. So $$ have been tight but she's managed. We had planned to go to NOLA for July 4 weekend but due to the Essence Festival and room rates outrageous, we booked a long weekend cruise on the Elation. She was kind of skeptical because of the cost. Her money was funny and her change was strange so I told her pay whatever you can and I'll cover the rest. Happy Early BDay to you! She agreed, I booked and paid for it last week. We celebrated!! Yelled Screamed - WE'RE GOING ON A CRUISE!!! We started looking at excursions and planning our cruise and a couple of days in NOLA.

Fast forward to today. I receive a text, I may need to cancel.

WTW! What's going on? It's a free trip why can't you go?

Mom fell and fractured a couple of ribs. She also has a bladder infection. They gave her meds. I will feel better if I stayed in the US and not cruise.

OK. Is all I could say. I have a Mom and understand you only get one and BFF wants to be there for her.

But you're staying in the states because your mom has a bladder infection:confused: and a couple of fractured ribs. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! Am I being punked!?!?!? Your dad and brother are there - in 2 weeks there will be little if anything they will need to do for her. We still have two weeks before the cruise, the bladder infection will go away - take your meds, drink plenty of water and cranberry juice. The fractured ribs will heal with time. AARRGGHH!!! I'm sooooo FRUSTRATED!!

I'm going to call her tomorrow and talk things through but I need to calm down first. I came here to vent and scream and whine and have a temper tantrum. She's ruining my July 4th weekend. LOL!!! Well, life just threw me lemons. I'm throwing them back and asking for limes so I can make MARGARITAS!!! Solo cruise here I come!!!

I'm 70% sure she will still cruise but really - cancel due to a bladder infection!?!??!!?

You just published the best argument for solo cruising. After spending 2013 planning cruises with others, I booked one solo next March. Yes, I have decisions to make, do I take this cruise for 8 days or a 7 day with a balcony? The priceless point of it is, I'm the only one involved in the decision. ;):D

I've been there. Out of nowhere my dad went into diabetic coma and never woke up that was 8 years ago. Still miss him and still want to call him and say whatcha cooking on the grill this weekend. I'll bring the chicken. So I get it. Hugs for you. And more hugs. I know everyone keeps telling you it will get better and it will eventually but cry when you want to cry and scream when you want to scream. We were at Disney a few weeks ago and I kept thinking dad would have enjoyed this or dad would have really loved that. I just had to shed some tears cause I really missed him. You're world kind of shifts but you will make it through.

So no ill feelings towards my bestie and now that I think about it that's probably why I'm not tripping after my initial temper tantrum. You only get one set of parents do what you need to do.

Thank you for your kind words. Don't want to hijack your topic but u are right it is tough. Currently I am now dealing with my dads health issues. His wife of 50 years is gone then a month later he ends up with diverticulitis and having surgery and a 9 week hospital stay. Long stay due to the fact his body was malnourished from not eating and drinking after my mom died. Now he is heading to a rehab facility for physical and occupational therapy.

Anyway you go enjoy your solo cruise!!! Btw I took my mom on a cruise and she didn't care for cruising!! She felt confined!

You just published the best argument for solo cruising. After spending 2013 planning cruises with others, I booked one solo next March. Yes, I have decisions to make, do I take this cruise for 8 days or a 7 day with a balcony? The priceless point of it is, I'm the only one involved in the decision. ;):D

SMILING!!! Too Funny. But soooo TRUE!!

True, that. I lost one parent very suddenly & aside from ICU visits I had no chance to do anything for her. Having that chance to give back is huge & something I wish I had the opportunity to do.

But the friend's Mom having broken ribs & a bladder infection could lead to serious health issues. If the Mom is elderly or in general poor health, it could turn into sepsis & a true medical emergency. Likewise with fractured ribs leading to pneumonia / respiratory failure.

I hope you have a great cruise anyhow.

Thanks. I plan to kick back and have a great time!

You should do Epic with us on Dec 7! There is a big group of cc'ers on that one! We met last year through roll call and we're doing a reunion! Haha! It's a fun group.

Why did I just look at my calendar to see if those dates are open? LOL! I'll be dead in the middle of month end and inventory audits! Shucks cause I sure would have cruised. I'm looking for a fall/winter cruise anyways!!

I'm looking at the Caribbean Princess out of Houston in November or December. Loving Princess and Norwegian coming to Houston. YES!!!!

Why did I just look at my calendar to see if those dates are open? LOL! I'll be dead in the middle of month end and inventory audits! Shucks cause I sure would have cruised. I'm looking for a fall/winter cruise anyways!!

I'm looking at the Caribbean Princess out of Houston in November or December. Loving Princess and Norwegian coming to Houston. YES!!!!

I'm glad I could make you laugh this morning. And I too am glad NCL and Princess are coming to the Port of Houston; hopefully that will make Carnival's prices drop in Galveston.

If all else fails, if we're successful in pulling it off; you should join us on a cruise that will feature Raheem DeVaughn...the only downfall is, his management begins discussing his schedule for next year in October...so we don't know if he can do it or not. :D

Well there goes my babysitter!

Cynt,go forth and have fun! I've gone solo on NCL...on Epic where they cater to solos. I'm curious to know how it works out on CCL cause I'm considering doing one on there too.

LOL. I'm not the BFF she speaks of; I just couldn't resist when she said she had another one in Houston and you could drop the kids off with her.

I live in Houston; born and raised.

I'm in Houston and I will step up and be your BFF for the weekend:p.

What's BFF? I can't figure that one out....I'm sure it's simple.

Since I have been reading the boards, I found out a lot of people cruise solo. I could never do it but I will be more mindful that their are people who are solo and just want someone to talk to. As of now, our next cruise is female only, I will ask on roll call if there are any solo cruiser who would like to hang out with us. They may not like us after they meet us in person:D.

Archived